If a person goes to sleep with a blocked nose, they will die of suffocation. I have a bad cold - how do I prevent myself from falling asleep?

No. I always had this instinct that if I fell asleep I would suffocate and die. Then, I read about Mark Gleeson's death, so it looks like my instincts were telling the truth. I think everyone stays awake when their nose is fully blocked, otherwise we'd constantly be hearing of people dying in their sleep from blocked noses. I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for days on end. Usually I get mild colds and I only get a fully blocked nose for two or so days but it's been four days now

You haven't slept in four days?

Come on, fess up. You're 12 years old and this is a prank.

Yes, it was reported by several news agencies that someone shoved tampons up their nose after drinking wine and taking sleeping pills, and they died. How far back did the tampons reach? I didn't see that.

Think of the millions of people who snore. Every single one of them is breathing through their mouth.
If you read the article it says he was found dead on the sofa the next morning with the tampons still in his nose.

No. I always had this instinct that if I fell asleep I would suffocate and die. Then, I read about Mark Gleeson's death, so it looks like my instincts were telling the truth. I think everyone stays awake when their nose is fully blocked, otherwise we'd constantly be hearing of people dying in their sleep from blocked noses. I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for days on end. Usually I get mild colds and I only get a fully blocked nose for two or so days but it's been four days now
And yet — you’re alive!

In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

Sorry mate but you're really SOL, happy trails! :banana:

All sources on Mark Gleeson's death say it was his nose being stuffed that killed him, not the sleeping pills.

So one single event versus millions of people who snore, and now you are afraid to go to sleep??

Find a single news story that involves someone dying in their sleep because of a head cold. Just one. I'll wait.

Decongestant? Blow your nose? steamy hot shower. Campho Phenique under the nose usually opens it up for me.
There are plenty of store bought items to help with snoring.

Decongestant? Blow your nose? steamy hot shower. Campho Phenique under the nose usually opens it up for me.
There are plenty of store bought items to help with snoring.
I've tried decongestants that you spray up each nostril but it only lasts maybe an hour or two before the congestion quickly comes back

Then provide proof. Scientific studies which confirm this. I haven't found any.

Is It Dangerous To Sleep with A Blocked Nose? - Charas Scientific

It is not dangerous to sleep with a blocked nose as it cannot harm you in your subconscious state. You will sleep and wake as long as you still breathe through your mouth. Nevertheless, it can cause other sleep issues like snoring and lack of sleep. As a result, you’ll likely experience a general decline in health as your sinus case worsens.

Is It Dangerous To Sleep with A Blocked Nose? - Charas Scientific

It is not dangerous to sleep with a blocked nose as it cannot harm you in your subconscious state. You will sleep and wake as long as you still breathe through your mouth. Nevertheless, it can cause other sleep issues like snoring and lack of sleep. As a result, you’ll likely experience a general decline in health as your sinus case worsens.

I posted a link a page or so back. Apparently he doesn't read them. It said the dangers of an adult breathing through their mouth when they sleep are things like halitosis, gingivitus ect. You'd think they would mention death by suffocation, if it was a real issue.

Forum List

Back