If Bonuses Aren't Worth A D@mn, Why Did Congress Just Give Themselves One?

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Oh, Here We Go Again: Dem House Candidate Says A $1,200 Bonus Covers Nothing

Dem candidate Hiral Tipirneni is challenging Az R-Debbie Lesko in the up-coming primary, and Hiral is doubling down on 'stupid' / the DNC's talking points, claiming a $1,000+ bonus in the hands of the average middle class family member 'won't cover anything'.

"Even Bernie Sanders admitted that the middle class would get relief. CNN’s Jake Tapper said last Christmas that 91 percent of middle class Americans would get a cut. Maybe that’s why approval for the bill has clinched majority support. Maybe that’s why over three million workers have received bonuses."

Tipirneni's comments, of course, drew backlash. As one person responded, "It must be nice to never have been poor'. "$75 is a phone bill, a water bill, food for a week, new clothes for work...Stop telling people how much money they need," said another. Rich, elitist Democrats attempting to tell middle class families how much money they need or what $1,000+ extra dollars in their pockets would mean is NOT going over well with voters...

The bad thing is that only 5% of the working public received bonuses when this was the news rave.

The worse part is that only 50% of America workers have a 401K account or their retirement. These are the real issues about Americans being broke as fvck. :08621:

The 'Bonus Bash' is a false narrative. It was from the start. Democrats - well, at least most of them - have abandoned it. Telling a voter who got a bonus and is using that to pay for their medicines, their electric, etc... is ticking them off, especially when they see someone in a $500-$1,000 suit making a butt-load of money in DC telling them that. Democrats would be wise just to drop it and not bring it up again.

If we are going to amend the Constitution, one item of clarity should be the spending clause. Congress shall NOT have the power to set its members' salaries or bonuses, except by 2/3 vote of all state legislatures.
:lol:

The bad thing is that only 5% of the working public received bonuses when this was the news rave.

The worse part is that only 50% of America workers have a 401K account or their retirement. These are the real issues about Americans being broke as fvck. :08621:
You have no idea how many did. Many companies didn’t broadcast it.

If we are going to amend the Constitution, one item of clarity should be the spending clause. Congress shall NOT have the power to set its members' salaries or bonuses, except by 2/3 vote of all state legislatures.
:lol:
I never quite understood why the Federal Govt - all of our tax dollars - goes to pay 100% of the salaries of State Representatives.

I understand that these politicians are members of committees that deal with issues that effect the entire country, and the Federal Govt / Federal Tx Dollars should / could be paid to Reps based on the number / type of these committees they are on. Their BASE salary, however IMO, should be paid by the STATES they represent.

Example:
Lindsey Graham, SC: The state should set the base pay for their representatives. SC, for example, could offer to pay It's House and Senate Reps a base salary of $100,000 per year. (If another state, like Ca or NY want to pay their reps $250,000 - great, but each state could set their own base salaries for reps.) For being a member of 2 committees, for example only, he could receive a set amount for each committee - let's say $10,000 for each committee. Chairmen of committees could make more. In this case, Graham would be making $120,000 - $100,000k from the State of SC, and $20k for his duty on committees that deal with issues that effect the whole country. If Graham wanted a Base Salary increase or would like a bonus he would have to go back to SC and ask the State Legislature to approve it. (No one else I know gets to set their salary, raise it every year, and / or give themselves bonus. I have not had a pay increase in several years now, for example....and yes, I work for the same govt the jackasses in Congress - who just voted themselves a bonus - work for) )

I would love to see that.

Forum List

Back