If people followed the Ten Commandments, would there be less pain and suffering today

The Golden Rule of "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" would cover most of the Ten Commandments except for the ones where God says "Worship me or else"

Some christians want us to believe that christianity has a monopoly on moral behavior.

Indeed. While the U S, a so called Christian nation, has the highest numbers in jail and has the highest number of abortions in the free world.

I wonder if that falls under hypocrisy?

Or is it just wearing blinders?

Regards
DL

Emphasis on "so called"

Some christians want us to believe that christianity has a monopoly on moral behavior.

Morality won't get you to heaven.

non-sequitur

I'm not arguing. I'm telling you.

(1) Since people and cultures disagree about morality, there are no objective moral values; (2) Moral relativism leads to tolerance of practices we may find different or odd. These two arguments are seriously flawed. In addition, the moral relativist has a difficult time explaining moral progress, moral reformation, and clear-cut cases of moral saints and moral devils.

Philosophical Problems With Moral Relativism | Christian Research Institute

Morality won't get you to heaven.

non-sequitur

(1) Since people and cultures disagree about morality, there are no objective moral values; (2) Moral relativism leads to tolerance of practices we may find different or odd. These two arguments are seriously flawed. In addition, the moral relativist has a difficult time explaining moral progress, moral reformation, and clear-cut cases of moral saints and moral devils.

It was beside the point.

In a moral society

What does the Ten Commandments offer that The Golden Rule doesn't?

non-sequitur

It was beside the point.

I'm not asking.

In a moral society

Specific guidance from God.

How does that make you moral?

If humans are able to figure out what the correct and moral thing to do is without "guidance" from God, what is the value added from claiming it came from God?

I know killing is wrong.....why do I need God to tell me so?

In a moral society

If humans are able to figure out what the correct and moral thing to do is without "guidance" from God, what is the value added from claiming it came from God?

How do you know that treating people the way you want to be treated is the way they want to be treated? Or how do you know the way you are treating other people is the way they want to be treated?

By the way, some people need to be told because we're not moral by nature.

Last edited:

How do you know that treating people the way you want to be treated is the way they want to be treated? Or how do you know the way you are treating other people is the way they want to be treated?

That is sad really. Such a low opinion of the human race.

That without a fear of punishment from God we cannot function as a moral society. Humans have compassion. It is the basis for the Golden Rule. We do things because we want to feel good about ourselves, we want to do what is right, we do not want those around us to suffer

We do that because we are moral by nature not because we fear a God

That without a fear of punishment from God we cannot function as a moral society. Humans have compassion. It is the basis for the Golden Rule. We do things because we want to feel good about ourselves, we want to do what is right, we do not want those around us to suffer

We do good sometimes because we have compassion. You are right.

You still have to explain 9-11 and the problem of conflicts and evil around the world.

You still have to explain 9-11 and the problem of conflicts and evil around the world.

Shouldn't God have to explain 9-11 and the evil around the world?

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.

King James 2000 Bible

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

... and let them have dominion

: Judeo / Christian / Islamic religions, at the very beginning of their belief(s) have irreverently made themselves the subjects of worship by all other of Gods creatures, the Fauna and Flora of our Garden before that of God that is a grievous sin against the real commandment from God of placing themselves ahead of others before that of the Almighty ... and is a source throughout history for pain and suffering and prevalence in today's diminishing Garden for their own Grandizement and a direct cause for their probable if not inevitable extinction.

What amuses me is when someone cites an instance where someone narrowly escaped being in the WTC on 9/11 and they say "God was there that day" but then can't explain that if God was there, why did the attack happen at all? Did he save one person and then knowingly allow the 3,000 others to die?

If people followed the Ten Commandments there wouldn't be so much ass coveting going on

What amuses me is when someone cites an instance where someone narrowly escaped being in the WTC on 9/11 and they say "God was there that day" but then can't explain that if God was there, why did the attack happen at all? Did he save one person and then knowingly allow the 3,000 others to die?
if 9/11 was put on a scale to measure evil, it would read a 3 or 4 ten being the highest.

Forum List

Back