If people followed the Ten Commandments, would there be less pain and suffering today

If people followed the Ten Commandments there wouldn't be so much ass coveting going on

There will always be coveting ... Of a lot of things.

IMO, 5 through 10 - Sure.

But all they are is basic ethical standards that people should live by.

If people followed the Ten Commandments there wouldn't be so much ass coveting going on

There is nothing wrong with coveting. If you covet your neighbors ass it acts as an incentive to work harder and someday get an ass like your neighbors.

There is nothing wrong with coveting. If you covet your neighbors ass it acts as an incentive to work harder and someday get an ass like your neighbors.

Only problem is, quite a few people decide to take the easy way out and just steal it or kill them to get it.

Sorry, but lots of people want to be athletes and compete in places like the SuperBowl or the Olympics.

Very few are willing to put in the time and energy to achieve those goals.

Me? I wanted to be able to ride a bicycle faster than those around me. I put in the time and energy (50-100 miles/day) and got there.

I also wanted to have a pension after I'd worked for 20 years. I joined the military and served 21.

Some covet what I have, a decent place to live, no reason to work (I can sleep in until 2:00 pm if I want), and a woman who happens to like me and care about me.

Most men would kill for what I have now.

NOBODY can follow the 10 commandments. Only one perfect Being could do that..and he was murdered on the cross.

We can all try...but I don't believe anyone can actually follow them all without falling off the proverbial bandwagon.

NOBODY can follow the 10 commandments. Only one perfect Being could do that..and he was murdered on the cross.

We can all try...but I don't believe anyone can actually follow them all without falling off the proverbial bandwagon.

Actually, it's pretty easy to follow the 10 Commandments.

Don't have any other gods before HaShem, and don't worship graven images or insult Him by taking His name in vain.

Keep the Sabbath, and take a bit of time off each week to remember God and get calm from the work you did the day before.

Honor your parents, because they are the ones who are supposed to teach you how to live, and they can provide good examples of where they went wrong so that you don't have to.

Don't murder someone. If they attack, defend yourself as you have to, but never kill someone who doesn't deserve it. They have to attack you first.

Don't lie. If you lie, then how can you possibly expect people to know what is really going on with you, because they may not know how to help because you didn't tell the truth.

Don't steal. I mean..................how does it feel to YOU when someone takes something from you?

Don't sleep with someone else's spouse. I mean..................how would YOU feel if your significant other was sleeping around?

Don't covet. It may cause you to become so jealous of what someone else has that you may end up stealing or murdering to gain it.

Be happy with what you have, and share what you can.

I mean.......................Jesus said "love God above all else, and love one another as you love God".

In saying so, He pretty much distilled the 10 Commandments into a simple sentence.

Well...some of those things are deeper than that. Like, I say His name in vain and always apologize. Habit from years of doing it.

I also covet. But I wouldn't kill to get it. Still, it's a commandment to not covet.

I stole when I was a kid. I steal smiles from time to time and turn them into frowns.

I don't honor my mother. I refuse to talk about that.

Like I said...nobody can follow those rules and still be true to His commands. But I think He knew that anyway.

Well...some of those things are deeper than that. Like, I say His name in vain and always apologize. Habit from years of doing it.

I also covet. But I wouldn't kill to get it. Still, it's a commandment to not covet.

I stole when I was a kid. I steal smiles from time to time and turn them into frowns.

I don't honor my mother. I refuse to talk about that.

Like I said...nobody can follow those rules and still be true to His commands. But I think He knew that anyway.

Interestingly enough, the tzadik who never sins is held at a lower rank than the tzadik (righteous person) who has sinned, understands they did wrong, and vows to not do the bad behavior again, as well as teaches others why they shouldn't.

I mean................the best drug or alcohol counselors are not the people who never had a problem, but rather those who had a problem and overcame it. Why? Because they know the territory of being in the middle of a shitstorm, and they also know the way they got out of it, which is why they can possibly help others to get out of it the way they did.

The best counselors? Those are the ones who say they know where you're at, and show you how they got out of it without requiring you to follow their path.

Religion shows you a way to get closer to God, but spirituality is the thing that actually makes the connection. I respect all others who believe different from me, because they may have insights that I don't, as they have gotten to the same destination as I did, but from a different path, and they might be able to teach me something.

As a wise philosopher once said, "all paths lead to the top of the mountain", meaning, it doesn't really matter how you got there, some come from the North, some from the South, some from the West, and some from the East. All paths lead to the top if you're willing to follow them.

And those who followed a different path than what I did can teach me a lot about the scenery from the other side.

Me? I'd like to see and understand the whole mountain.

Only problem is, quite a few people decide to take the easy way out and just steal it or kill them to get it.

Sorry, but lots of people want to be athletes and compete in places like the SuperBowl or the Olympics.

Very few are willing to put in the time and energy to achieve those goals.

Me? I wanted to be able to ride a bicycle faster than those around me. I put in the time and energy (50-100 miles/day) and got there.

I also wanted to have a pension after I'd worked for 20 years. I joined the military and served 21.

Some covet what I have, a decent place to live, no reason to work (I can sleep in until 2:00 pm if I want), and a woman who happens to like me and care about me.

Most men would kill for what I have now.

There is already a commandment against stealing. If I covet your lifestyle and work harder to get it, it is a good thing. If not it is just a thought crime....no harm

Exactly. Claiming that the 10 C's are the only standard for moral behavior is like trying to copyright something in the public domain.

So coveting is not the problem - stealing or killing is.

If people followed the Ten Commandments, would there be less pain and suffering today?

Certainly,putting the religious connection aside,they contain some real basic common sense rule for a civil lifestyle,the base for a happy life.

So coveting is not the problem - stealing or killing is.

Actually, the problem is coveting. Because if you become jealous of what your fellow human being has, you may be tempted to steal or kill for it.

If you are a true human, you'd see what they had, ask how they got it, and follow the directions they gave you so that you could get it too.

One is stealing (coveting), the other is asking and learning so that you can do as they do also.

One of my greatest teachers told me that if I wanted what he had, I had to do what he did, because he couldn't teach me any other way.

Me? I chose to learn from my teacher, so that I would know what to do later when certain things happened. If I'd stolen or killed for it? I might not know what to do with it later.

I mean..................are you REALLY going to fly an airplane without having a basic understanding of aerodynamics? Yeah.............sure................you could steal it or kill for it, but if you don't know how to fly it, what good will it do you?

G-D said that none of the laws from the Torah are beyond our reach.

is the letter o broken on your keyboard?

Exactly. many of the laws are positive mitzvahs, hardly a burden, and many of the laws are simply about not being gullible or stupid.

How hard is that?

I do understand that most people perceive a burden when they hear from someone that God meant the Law to be understood and applied literally, but if they hear the teachings of Jesus, that the law is figurative in nature and the subject of the commands are not directly connected to the literal meaning of the words used, then they will perceive the wisdom of God in giving the commands making them easy to comply with.

For instance if one was to take kashrut literally then the burden of the entire families holiness is on the shoulders of women as if they put bacon bits on a salad the entire family would be contaminated. Understanding why God would give a crap about what people eat is certainly beyond the reach of anyone comprehending.

But if one perceives the sublime teaching of Jesus in the command to eat his flesh, then one can understand that flesh is figurative for teaching and the responsibility of conforming to the law which teaches to accept or refrain from the flesh/teachings of certain described lower beasts, clean or unclean, is upon the individual; male or female, young or old, rich or poor, Jew or Gentile.....whatever they eat for dinner.

If you eat the flesh, swallow the teachings, of irrational people your mind will become defiled and contaminated and you will become an irrational creature too and say and do stupid things that injure yourself and the people you love even if you never ate a pork chop in your entire life..

Last edited:
If people followed the Ten Commandments, would there be less pain and suffering today?

Certainly,putting the religious connection aside,they contain some real basic common sense rule for a civil lifestyle,the base for a happy life.

I'll agree that the one saying don't lie, cheat, steal, or kill are a good way to go, but the "worship me" ones leave a little something to be desired when the instruction manual calls for pouring molten gold down throats or stoning people to death for saying a piece of halibut is good enough for Jehovah as a fit and proper punishment for disobeying them.

Forum List

Back