If the service is good at a sit down restaurant, do you tip the waitress?

If the service is good at a sit down restaurant, do you tip the waitress?

• Yes I tip the customary 10 to 15%

• No

• Yes if the service is good, I’ll Tip very well

• Hell no!! Why should I care about a waitress.! Why should I spend extra money on a tip?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have seen people give a gift to their mailman during Christmas time for example. Even things like cookies. I think that’s pretty cool.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
May want to see how much cost of living is, before you say that.
well i know the cost of living is high...but you realize that the gov't under joe biden is going after these folk to make sure they report ALL Their tips so they can pay more taxes.

You think 10 to 15% is "customary"? You need to stay home.

Something some of you may want to consider: in many states it is acceptable to pay wait staff well below minimum wage. The idea being that their tips make up the difference... Out of 50 states, 43 operate this way.

For instance, in Delaware the minimum wage is $11.75/hr, but in a restaurant an employer can apply a credit of $9.52/hr for tips bringing the employee's wage to $2.23/hr.

The Feds allow an employer of tipped employees in states paying the Federal minimum ($7.25) to apply a credit of $5.12 bringing the employee's hourly rate to $2.13.

I'm not suggesting that anyone tip if they are not satisfied with their service, but most people don't know the reality of being a waiter/waitress. And let's be honest, we rarely get bad service unless we are being shitty customers...

Now, one thing I never do is tip on the tax...

If you leave a zero tip, stiff the server, in most cases, they will have paid to serve you. If a restaurant has a host staff, bartenders, and busboys, the server is required to "tip-out". Calculated on total sales, server does $1,000 in volume they will typically tip out $30. That money is pooled with other server tipouts and distributed among the bartenders, host, and busboys. In some high end restaurants, like Capital Grille, there are also server assistants. Even Outback has recently adopted that model. In that case the tipout can be as high as six percent.

Then there is the IRS. Yes, they track each server's sales and their credit card tips. Credit card tips are allocated to the penny and any sales where there was not a credit card tip the IRA allocates 8% as the assumed tip.

So, you have a $100 bill and you stiff the server. They will pay between three and six dollars for tipout and the IRS is going to allocate $8 to their income.

Tipping has been customary in America since after the Civil War.

Most Americans follow the culture in this country of tipping the waitress at the restaurant. But some don’t and I’ve actually seen some waitresses run out of the restaurant chasing after people who don’t tip. saying “ I have kids to feed. What are you doing to me?”

That's probably the waitress who gave the very worst in service too.

the little bit of table service and cocktailing I did proved over and over to me -- smile and do your best to just to the damn job right and people will be good to you.

12.22 an hour? that's pretty good.
Yep that's in Ireland...

They are thinking of increasing it by $1.50 next year (inflation had its say in that)

Generally Ireland has a policy that if you work 40 hours a week and are over 18 you shouldn't need government handouts... For that to happen, minimum wage has to be set at that value.
If your business can't make money at that then you go out of business, charge more or you are not very good at business. The government gives out enough subsidies but you pay your employees enough to live on.. It is a general principle rather than a law...

It does make things more expensive. Saying that EU doesn't have a large undocumented immigration workforce that will work for less and there are employment laws and insurance that making hiring that type as unsound business.

It is not saying one way is right or wrong.. It is just the way it is..

well i know the cost of living is high...but you realize that the gov't under joe biden is going after these folk to make sure they report ALL Their tips so they can pay more taxes.
The IRS has always went after those tips, and none of the additional IRS agents hired will be going after those servers. In fact, they don't need any agents, it is all computer program that analyzes individual server sales, credit card tips, and claimed tips. In fact, I don't think it the IRS that "allocates" tips based on that 8% model, employers are required to do it, there is even a line on the W2 titled allocated tips.

So, you are a slick ass server and think you can outsmart the IRS. You do $5,000 in sales in a week and most of them were in cash. Rare, I know, but roll with it. You have $300 in credit card tips and that is all you claim. When you pick up your paystub you will notice that you got taxed on $400 in tips, $100 allocated.

I tip 20% minimum, frequently 30%. Christmas tips go up. I get my hair cut just before Christmas, the standard Christmas hair cut tip is a $100 bill.

I don't do any of those things any more like dining out or having haircuts, but I tip people like repairmen, installers and such the equivalent of an hour's wage -- no unions in my state. My mail carriers get at least $100 at Christmas, and ditto with the UPS driver because I'm lucky enough to have the same one all the time. I checked with the utilities and found out who my regular meter readers are because they had to fight up and down a hill through a lot of snow to get to my meters -- big tips for them.

In the previous century I had a job sacking groceries when I was in high school.
I would usually get a 25 to 50 cent tip.
Those tips would add up.
Sometimes my pockets would be weighed down with quarters.

Shit man, I don't ever recall getting a tip as a bagger. Damn..... ;)

That's probably the waitress who gave the very worst in service too.

the little bit of table service and cocktailing I did proved over and over to me -- smile and do your best to just to the damn job right and people will be good to you.

Not always. But yes, most of the time. It is a Friday night, close to closing time, ten o'clock. Typically, on weeknights, I cut the floor around 8 and takeover. Yeah, I got kids to feed. A preppy ass couple comes in and I give them my usual good service, along with the three or four other tables I am running. Bill was $29.35, they give me $30 and I return with the sixty-five cents and go on my way. While passing by the table after the left I noticed the tip was just that sixty-five cents. I scooped it up, ran toward the door, and popped the asshole male in the back of the head with the change as I threw it at them.

They both wheeled back around and demanded to see the manager. I told them, "I will go get her for you". When she came out she flat out asked them, "Why did you just leave change for a tip?". Their response only dug the hole deeper for them. They claimed I copped an attitude since they came in so close to closing and that the service wasn't good. The manager busted out laughing, first she told them I was the best, like the best she had ever seen with years of experience. But second, that closing was my bread and butter, I chose to be there.

Yeah, I should have been fired, but like she said, I was the best. The general manager told me I had to write them a letter and apologize. He would comp their meal. No problem I told him and returned the next day with a letter. I explained the general manager's offer, but first I told them they had to allow me to take them to dinner at one of the places I frequented. The manager grinned, "You plan on teaching them how to tip". "Yep", I told him, and he sent the letter off. They never bothered to respond back.

You know who I tip the most? Butchers and deli workers. (where it's allowed)

They always hook me up, too.

Food delivery people, too. But I'm not doing that so much these days.

Tipping has been customary in America since after the Civil War.

Most Americans follow the culture in this country of tipping the waitress at the restaurant. But some don’t and I’ve actually seen some waitresses run out of the restaurant chasing after people who don’t tip. saying “ I have kids to feed. What are you doing to me?”

I always tip. But I seldom go in and sit down. I order takeout and pick it up. But even then, I tip 15% or more whatever comes out even. I want them to remember to make my stuff good.

Forum List

Back