If the service is good at a sit down restaurant, do you tip the waitress?

If the service is good at a sit down restaurant, do you tip the waitress?

• Yes I tip the customary 10 to 15%

• No

• Yes if the service is good, I’ll Tip very well

• Hell no!! Why should I care about a waitress.! Why should I spend extra money on a tip?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes.

If it is good. I don't expect anything crazy. But someone that's at least decently nice, speaks well, doesn't rush me to order, refills my drink regularly and so on. But those qualities are becoming less common than they used to be.

Course where I've been going to for breakfast every Saturday for 20 some years now I spend about 14 bucks and I give them a 10 dollar tip every time because it's a family run place and I know them all, one waitress holds the table I like best for 15 minutes around the time I usually show up unless they are super busy. At Christmas I tip 40 dollars. Everyone stops to say, show me pictures and such. And I do it in cash incase they want to pocket it instead of reporting it.

But tipping automatically? No, never. And tipping a percent? No way, I'm not paying more because I ordered something more expensive that doesn't take the waitress anymore work than if I got something cheap.

I already paid for the meal, why should I be expected to pay even more on top of that?

I always tip. But I seldom go in and sit down. I order takeout and pick it up. But even then, I tip 15% or more whatever comes out even. I want them to remember to make my stuff good.
Excellent work left winger. Many of the people of those restaurants Thank you for tipping them even if you’re taking out.

Yes.

If it is good. I don't expect anything crazy. But someone that's at least decently nice, speaks well, doesn't rush me to order, refills my drink regularly and so on. But those qualities are becoming less common than they used to be.

Course where I've been going to for breakfast every Saturday for 20 some years now I spend about 14 bucks and I give them a 10 dollar tip every time because it's a family run place and I know them all, one waitress holds the table I like best for 15 minutes around the time I usually show up unless they are super busy. At Christmas I tip 40 dollars. Everyone stops to say, show me pictures and such. And I do it in cash incase they want to pocket it instead of reporting it.

But tipping automatically? No, never. And tipping a percent? No way, I'm not paying more because I ordered something more expensive that doesn't take the waitress anymore work than if I got something cheap.

I already paid for the meal, why should I be expected to pay even more on top of that?
Tipping 10 bucks on a $14 order is very impressive. Well done.

No longer trust any USPS from CA. They would toss out votes from certain zip codes.

I was giving envelopes to trash pickup guy $20 at XMAS. I recently gave $100 to two young kids (one Black and one White) who delivered a washer to my house and set it up. They were polite and helpful. $20 to cable guy, $20 to AC guy, $20 to landscapers....I try to tip all of them. If I am not home I leave it for them with someone else.

I have a feeling that on average Trump supporters tip better compared to Biden supporters. It could be by a small percentage point.

With all you type, the quality, appearance, structure and ingredients on the food ordered is not even mentioned. We still pay tips out of habit. An example..I ordered a sandwich entree which was supposed to have breaded fried onion rings on it. It had the canned crispy onions on it. If you are spending a higher price for food at an emporium that sucks. We live in a time people need to survive. So, paying three times more for a meal that may be cheaper in other ways plus adding tips is more for habit.

You think 10 to 15% is "customary"? You need to stay home.

Something some of you may want to consider: in many states it is acceptable to pay wait staff well below minimum wage. The idea being that their tips make up the difference... Out of 50 states, 43 operate this way.

For instance, in Delaware the minimum wage is $11.75/hr, but in a restaurant an employer can apply a credit of $9.52/hr for tips bringing the employee's wage to $2.23/hr.

The Feds allow an employer of tipped employees in states paying the Federal minimum ($7.25) to apply a credit of $5.12 bringing the employee's hourly rate to $2.13.

I'm not suggesting that anyone tip if they are not satisfied with their service, but most people don't know the reality of being a waiter/waitress. And let's be honest, we rarely get bad service unless we are being shitty customers...

Now, one thing I never do is tip on the tax...
You don’t tip? You didn’t vote.

Yep that's in Ireland...

They are thinking of increasing it by $1.50 next year (inflation had its say in that)

Generally Ireland has a policy that if you work 40 hours a week and are over 18 you shouldn't need government handouts... For that to happen, minimum wage has to be set at that value.
If your business can't make money at that then you go out of business, charge more or you are not very good at business. The government gives out enough subsidies but you pay your employees enough to live on.. It is a general principle rather than a law...

It does make things more expensive. Saying that EU doesn't have a large undocumented immigration workforce that will work for less and there are employment laws and insurance that making hiring that type as unsound business.

It is not saying one way is right or wrong.. It is just the way it is..
12 , an hour is an extremely low wage same thing with basically anything under $20 in America. Low wage meaning it’s not enough to afford the basic cost of living in America. It’s good money for a kid.

I suppose $15 an hour in a state like Mississippi might be worth as much is 25 an hour in California? I don’t know It seem like low wages to me.

Being self-employed and gambling i make pretty decent money

Maybe $12 an hour in Ireland goes farther because the cost of living is less?

Last edited:
You don’t tip? You didn’t vote.

I tip. I don't vote in open polls.

I never tip less than 18%, and that's rare. My average tip runs 20 - 30%.

When I see that an establishment automatically adds a gratuity to a check for a on a party above a certain number, if the policy applies to my party, I do not tip because they've already decided what my tip should be. I explain to my server why there is no tip beyond the establishment's mandated percentage and suggest they take up with their employer the policy.

12 , an hour is an extremely low wage same thing with basically anything under $20 in America. Low wage meaning it’s not enough to afford the basic cost of living in America. It’s good money for a kid.

I suppose $15 an hour in a state like Mississippi might be worth as much is 25 an hour in California? I don’t know I don’t seem like low wages to me.

Being self-employed and gambling i make pretty decent money

Maybe $12 an hour in Ireland goes farther because the cost of living is less?

Reality check...

The minimum wage in the U.S. state by state:

StateMinimum wage in 2022Minimum wage in 2023
AlabamaNo state minimum
Alaska$10.34$10.85
Arizona$12.80$13.85
Arkansas$11
California$14 for businesses with 25 or fewer employees, $15 for businesses with 26 or more employees$15.50 for all businesses
Colorado$12.56$13.65
Connecticut$14$15 (as of July 1, 2023)
Delaware$10.50$11.75
Washington, DC$15.20, $5.35 for tipped employees$15.20, $6 for tipped employees (as of Jan. 1, 2023), $8 for tipped employees (as of July 1, 2023)
Florida$11$12 (as of Sept. 1, 2023)
Georgia$5.15
Hawaii$10.10
Idaho$7.25
Illinois$12$13
Indiana$7.25
Iowa$7.25
Kansas$7.25
Kentucky$7.25
LouisianaNo state minimum
Maine$12.75$13.80
Maryland$12.50$13.25
Massachusetts$14.25$15
Michigan$9.87$10.10
Minnesota$10.33$10.59
MississippiNo state minimum
Missouri$11.15$12
Montana$9.20$9.95
Nebraska$9$10.50
Nevada$9.50 if the employee is offered benefits, $10.50 if not$10.25 for companies that offer benefits, $11.25 for those that don't (effective July 1, 2023)
New HampshireNo state minimum
New Jersey$13$14.13, $12.93 for seasonal employees and those at companies with fewer than six employees
New Mexico$11.50$12
New York$13.20 ($15 in New York City, Long Island and Westchester County)$14.20 in Upstate New York
North CarolinaNo state minimum
North DakotaNo state minimum
Ohio$9.30$10.10
Oklahoma$7.25
Oregon$13.50, Portland metro area: $14.75, nonurban areas $12.50Will be adjusted on July 1, 2023, for urban and nonurban areas based on an increase to the US city average for the Consumer Price Index
PennsylvaniaNo state minimum
Rhode Island$12.25$13
South CarolinaNo state minimum
South Dakota$9.95$10.80
TennesseeNo state minimum
TexasNo state minimum
UtahNo state minimum
Vermont$12.55$13.18
Virginia$11$12
Washington$14.49$15.74
West Virginia$8.75
WisconsinNo state minimum
Wyoming$5.15

Tipping has been customary in America since after the Civil War.

Most Americans follow the culture in this country of tipping the waitress at the restaurant. But some don’t and I’ve actually seen some waitresses run out of the restaurant chasing after people who don’t tip. saying “ I have kids to feed. What are you doing to me?”
Wow, let me show you I am a Russobot without saying I am a Russobot.

Let’s see what the Biden BLM supporters have to say about tipping. I’m very impressed with what Fellow Trump supporters have to say here about tipping.

Reality check...

The minimum wage in the U.S. state by state:

StateMinimum wage in 2022Minimum wage in 2023
AlabamaNo state minimum
Alaska$10.34$10.85
Arizona$12.80$13.85
Arkansas$11
California$14 for businesses with 25 or fewer employees, $15 for businesses with 26 or more employees$15.50 for all businesses
Colorado$12.56$13.65
Connecticut$14$15 (as of July 1, 2023)
Delaware$10.50$11.75
Washington, DC$15.20, $5.35 for tipped employees$15.20, $6 for tipped employees (as of Jan. 1, 2023), $8 for tipped employees (as of July 1, 2023)
Florida$11$12 (as of Sept. 1, 2023)
Georgia$5.15
Hawaii$10.10
Idaho$7.25
Illinois$12$13
Indiana$7.25
Iowa$7.25
Kansas$7.25
Kentucky$7.25
LouisianaNo state minimum
Maine$12.75$13.80
Maryland$12.50$13.25
Massachusetts$14.25$15
Michigan$9.87$10.10
Minnesota$10.33$10.59
MississippiNo state minimum
Missouri$11.15$12
Montana$9.20$9.95
Nebraska$9$10.50
Nevada$9.50 if the employee is offered benefits, $10.50 if not$10.25 for companies that offer benefits, $11.25 for those that don't (effective July 1, 2023)
New HampshireNo state minimum
New Jersey$13$14.13, $12.93 for seasonal employees and those at companies with fewer than six employees
New Mexico$11.50$12
New York$13.20 ($15 in New York City, Long Island and Westchester County)$14.20 in Upstate New York
North CarolinaNo state minimum
North DakotaNo state minimum
Ohio$9.30$10.10
Oklahoma$7.25
Oregon$13.50, Portland metro area: $14.75, nonurban areas $12.50Will be adjusted on July 1, 2023, for urban and nonurban areas based on an increase to the US city average for the Consumer Price Index
PennsylvaniaNo state minimum
Rhode Island$12.25$13
South CarolinaNo state minimum
South Dakota$9.95$10.80
TennesseeNo state minimum
TexasNo state minimum
UtahNo state minimum
Vermont$12.55$13.18
Virginia$11$12
Washington$14.49$15.74
West Virginia$8.75
WisconsinNo state minimum
Wyoming$5.15

You don’t tip your waitresses? You did not vote in the thread.

When I order online takeout, sometimes I see XXX special handling charge added? ($5-$10? depending).

But even with that I tip the youngsters up at the front when I pick it up if paying cash. Or I add at least 10% on the credit card tab.

I tip. I don't vote in open polls.

I never tip less than 18%, and that's rare. My average tip runs 20 - 30%.

When I see that an establishment automatically adds a gratuity to a check for a on a party above a certain number, if the policy applies to my party, I do not tip because they've already decided what my tip should be. I explain to my server why there is no tip beyond the establishment's mandated percentage and suggest they take up with their employer the policy.
That’s good to hear but I would really appreciate if you vote this is a discussion board and it’s wrong not to fully participate in the thread like that.

It’s your right not to vote, but that’s not fair to the other participants of this thread. Certainly those in the restaurant industry Greatly appreciate what you’re doing though.

Forum List

Back