If US campuses can’t protect free speech, they need new management

"if a student wishes to discuss an area of disagreement with a professor, he or she should go directly to that professor outside of class and respectfully present his or her concerns without fear of academic penalty. Airing complaints publicly in venues such as social media is not an appropriate means of resolving an issue."

IOW, Bob Jones U. effectively bars students from speaking freely on social media.

no - they do not

any student may speak freely on social media, BUT they may face expulsion because of it

Bob Jones is well within their rights here, baw

free speech DOES NOT protect anyone from the repercussions of their word imposed on them from private citizens or institutions, only from being persecuted legally for it

having said that, how do you feel about public school teachers and professional athletes losing their jobs because of opinions voiced on social media?

Last edited:
You are a useless whiner who is not going to get his way. Whether Liberty University or UCB, academia requires a diversity of opinion, and that includes the right wing fascists as well.

Wrong. Allowing right wing extremist shitbags to speak at their school is not a school requirement. I'm only saying they're under no obligation to placate every right wing, alt-right or white nationalist who fancies themselves a special snowflake ENTITLED to speak. I do think they should have these cretins to speak though. I think it's good for debate.
yes they are.

No, they're not.
name a college and let's find out. or are you a chicken little.

Name a college that is legally obligated to book a paid speech by a rightwinger.
your question isn't clear. I highly doubt that a college would reach out to a speaker. A professor or student would. and yes, the college would have to accommodate the speaker.

Universities are under no obligation to give right wing fascists a platform to "speak." No university owes these useless sacks of shit a goddamn thing. Stop whining.
You are a useless whiner who is not going to get his way. Whether Liberty University or UCB, academia requires a diversity of opinion, and that includes the right wing fascists as well.

Wrong. Allowing right wing extremist shitbags to speak at their school is not a school requirement. I'm only saying they're under no obligation to placate every right wing, alt-right or white nationalist who fancies themselves a special snowflake ENTITLED to speak. I do think they should have these cretins to speak though. I think it's good for debate.
We are talking about hate speech, free assembly, and the first amendment.

Ann Coulter and Angela Davis (if alive and competent) get to speak if invited by accredited groups at any U.

Leftwing shitbags like you or rightwing shitbags like Steve McGarrett (you are opposite sides of the same coin) are held to the same rules.

Understand now?

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.

Get that through your fucking head.

Understand now?

Yes they are free to protest. They are not free to attack people, destroy property, or restrict the movement of the public.

This pathetic thread should be in the rubber room. Don't we already have like 10 threads devoted to this fucking pathetic non-issue?
hmmm....so it looks like it might be a little bit of an issue, eh?

Yank federal funding, and put the criminals and the kooks in secure barracks.

Problem solved.

Name a college that is legally obligated to book a paid speech by a rightwinger.

can you tell me the difference between an obligation to book a speaker and the power to block a speaker because you disagree with their ideas?

just for fun?

Universities are under no obligation to give right wing fascists a platform to "speak." No university owes these useless sacks of shit a goddamn thing. Stop whining.

If they are state universities, they certainly are required to allow free speech. And the fun happy speech does not need protecting. It is the speech with which we disagree that needs protections. And not allowing free speech simply because YOU disagree with it goes against everything this nation stands for.

When we demand that people espousing ideas about same sex marriages, equality for women ect ect, are allowed free speech, we must allow free speech from the other side of the coin.

Free speech just means you can't be persecuted for your opinion. It doesn't force every university to bend over and give a free platform for every right wing nutjob on the planet who wants to spread their messages of hate and violence.

I agree completely with the sentiments of this article. Universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions. Instead, what we've seen over the last several years are weak-kneed administrators acquiescing to the demands of sniveling little brats who can't handle hearing an idea they don't approve of. Rather than fostering an environment where diverse discussion can take place, most of our universities have been hijacked by extreme left wing administrators, faculties, and students who have embraced fascism and are engaging in modern day Nazi book burnings. If the people in charge won't stop this attack on free speech then it's time to start replacing them, by force, if necessary, particularly at those which are taxpayer funded.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/if-us-campuses-cant-protect-free-speech-they-need-new-management/

So like Bob Jones and Liberty Universities?

If they are private universities they are not held to the same standards. That is why Liberty University can have school led prayer, while public universities cannot.

If they are state universities, they certainly are required to allow free speech. And the fun happy speech does not need protecting. It is the speech with which we disagree that needs protections. And not allowing free speech simply because YOU disagree with it goes against everything this nation stands for.

When we demand that people espousing ideas about same sex marriages, equality for women ect ect, are allowed free speech, we must allow free speech from the other side of the coin.

Free speech just means you can't be persecuted for your opinion. It doesn't force every university to bend over and give a free platform for every right wing nutjob on the planet who wants to spread their messages of hate and violence.

Here are some court rulings that disagree with you:
State of the Law: Speech Codes - FIRE

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.

Understand now?

You might have a point, if anything you were saying was remotely truthful. Nobody is being forced to listen to anybody and nobody is saying students don't have the right to protest.

sure they are. they are mostly all funded with federal dollars.

So if Larry Flynt wanted to come to our local public elementary school and give a speech about Hustler magazine,
the school has no legal means to refuse him?
why not? they do offer sex courses in our school systems today?

I asked if they are legally obligated. It was rhetorical. We already have your answer. According to you they are legally obligated,

because you're retarded.

According to the courts, they are obligated. State of the Law: Speech Codes - FIRE

You're a Far Left Fascist, you are against Free Speech.

Here are some court rulings that disagree with you:
State of the Law: Speech Codes - FIRE

Nothing in there disagrees with me. By the way, Free Speech does NOT protect "fighting words," the exact words you hear from these alt-right kooks.

Understand now?

You might have a point, if anything you were saying was remotely truthful. Nobody is being forced to listen to anybody and nobody is saying students don't have the right to protest.

Yet right here on this very forum, there seems to be a new thread every week about how these students are "wrong" to protest. Interesting, that.

What about Far Left Communists, what about BLM who are Black Nationalists and openly advocate violence, I bet you have no problem allowing them a platform to vomit their bile.

Speakers are invited by student groups because they share values. They shouldn't be denied a forum because somebody does not agree with them. I don't agree with disrupting anyone but protests outside is fine. Tough questions in Q&A is fine.

That is only part of the problem with free speech. A lot of free speech violations happen outside a lecture.

Understand now?

Yet right here on this very forum, there seems to be a new thread every week about how these students are "wrong" to protest. Interesting, that.

Does the right to protest include getting violent with those who they don't agree with?

I'm sorry, are you trying to add value to the discussion, or are you shitting on it for the lulz? You don't see the irony in your use of the word fascism in the above statement?

What about Far Left Communists, what about BLM who are Black Nationalists and openly advocate violence, I bet you have no problem allowing them a platform to vomit their bile.

I do have a problem with those who advocate violence. But thanks for your logical fallacy, always appreciate those from you.

I agree completely with the sentiments of this article. Universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions. Instead, what we've seen over the last several years are weak-kneed administrators acquiescing to the demands of sniveling little brats who can't handle hearing an idea they don't approve of. Rather than fostering an environment where diverse discussion can take place, most of our universities have been hijacked by extreme left wing administrators, faculties, and students who have embraced fascism and are engaging in modern day Nazi book burnings. If the people in charge won't stop this attack on free speech then it's time to start replacing them, by force, if necessary, particularly at those which are taxpayer funded.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/if-us-campuses-cant-protect-free-speech-they-need-new-management/

I agree 1000%

The only thing I have to add is that it needs done yesterday.

Forum List

Back