If US campuses can’t protect free speech, they need new management

Universities are under no obligation to give right wing fascists a platform to "speak." No university owes these useless sacks of shit a goddamn thing. Stop whining.

If they are state universities, they certainly are required to allow free speech. And the fun happy speech does not need protecting. It is the speech with which we disagree that needs protections. And not allowing free speech simply because YOU disagree with it goes against everything this nation stands for.

When we demand that people espousing ideas about same sex marriages, equality for women ect ect, are allowed free speech, we must allow free speech from the other side of the coin.

Free speech just means you can't be persecuted for your opinion. It doesn't force every university to bend over and give a free platform for every right wing nutjob on the planet who wants to spread their messages of hate and violence.

Here are some court rulings that disagree with you:
State of the Law: Speech Codes - FIRE

Nothing in there disagrees with me. By the way, Free Speech does NOT protect "fighting words," the exact words you hear from these alt-right kooks.

"By the way, Free Speech does NOT protect "fighting words,"

Okay so you would agree that BLM should be shut down then? They advocate killing white people, they advocate killing police officers, they are Black Supremacists and Black racists.

So shut them down yes?

Universities are under no obligation to give right wing fascists a platform to "speak." No university owes these useless sacks of shit a goddamn thing. Stop whining.

I'm sorry, are you trying to add value to the discussion, or are you shitting on it for the lulz? You don't see the irony in your use of the word fascism in the above statement?

"Stop whining" is a figure of speech, champ. One the right loves to use all the time. "Stop whining," and "fuck your feelings" were favorites of guys like Milo. Sometimes I like to use their own language to make a point, other times just for the lulz.

You are a useless whiner who is not going to get his way. Whether Liberty University or UCB, academia requires a diversity of opinion, and that includes the right wing fascists as well.

Wrong. Allowing right wing extremist shitbags to speak at their school is not a school requirement. I'm only saying they're under no obligation to placate every right wing, alt-right or white nationalist who fancies themselves a special snowflake ENTITLED to speak. I do think they should have these cretins to speak though. I think it's good for debate.

What about Far Left Communists, what about BLM who are Black Nationalists and openly advocate violence, I bet you have no problem allowing them a platform to vomit their bile.

I do have a problem with those who advocate violence. But thanks for your logical fallacy, always appreciate those from you.

No I'm pointing out the hypocritical double standard that the Far Left have.

I agree completely with the sentiments of this article. Universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions. Instead, what we've seen over the last several years are weak-kneed administrators acquiescing to the demands of sniveling little brats who can't handle hearing an idea they don't approve of. Rather than fostering an environment where diverse discussion can take place, most of our universities have been hijacked by extreme left wing administrators, faculties, and students who have embraced fascism and are engaging in modern day Nazi book burnings. If the people in charge won't stop this attack on free speech then it's time to start replacing them, by force, if necessary, particularly at those which are taxpayer funded.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/if-us-campuses-cant-protect-free-speech-they-need-new-management/
Bravo.

And, of course, the security excuse is simply a ruse. They want to maintain the tight ideological grip they have on their kids and are afraid opposing views might open some kids' minds.

As as far as your point that "universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions", well, they simply don't give a shit. Look at the posts on this site.

If they are state universities, they certainly are required to allow free speech. And the fun happy speech does not need protecting. It is the speech with which we disagree that needs protections. And not allowing free speech simply because YOU disagree with it goes against everything this nation stands for.

When we demand that people espousing ideas about same sex marriages, equality for women ect ect, are allowed free speech, we must allow free speech from the other side of the coin.

Free speech just means you can't be persecuted for your opinion. It doesn't force every university to bend over and give a free platform for every right wing nutjob on the planet who wants to spread their messages of hate and violence.

Nothing in there disagrees with me. By the way, Free Speech does NOT protect "fighting words," the exact words you hear from these alt-right kooks.

Okay so you would agree that BLM should be shut down then? They advocate killing white people, they advocate killing police officers, they are Black Supremacists and Black racists.

So shut them down yes?

You really have a one track mind, don't you? Individuals within the BLM should be held accountable for advocating killing white people or killing police officers. But contrary to you and your warped fascist world view, I don't believe they ALL should be punished for a few mens crimes.

You are a useless whiner who is not going to get his way. Whether Liberty University or UCB, academia requires a diversity of opinion, and that includes the right wing fascists as well.

Wrong. Allowing right wing extremist shitbags to speak at their school is not a school requirement. I'm only saying they're under no obligation to placate every right wing, alt-right or white nationalist who fancies themselves a special snowflake ENTITLED to speak. I do think they should have these cretins to speak though. I think it's good for debate.

What about Far Left Communists, what about BLM who are Black Nationalists and openly advocate violence, I bet you have no problem allowing them a platform to vomit their bile.

I do have a problem with those who advocate violence. But thanks for your logical fallacy, always appreciate those from you.

Except that you aren't doing any such thing.

sure they are. they are mostly all funded with federal dollars.

So if Larry Flynt wanted to come to our local public elementary school and give a speech about Hustler magazine,
the school has no legal means to refuse him?

I'm pretty confident the laws and legal protections are different when it comes to colleges and college students, than they are for elementary schools and elementary students. I won't proclaim it unequivocally, but I'm pretty sure there is legal precedent for different degrees of constitutional protections for minors, which makes your analogy fall a bit flat.

Yes I am, it's just that you're not intellectually capable of realising that I am.

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.

Get that through your fucking head.

Understand now?

You might have a point, if anything you were saying was remotely truthful. Nobody is being forced to listen to anybody and nobody is saying students don't have the right to protest.

Yet right here on this very forum, there seems to be a new thread every week about how these students are "wrong" to protest. Interesting, that.

You're a fucking liar.

Nobody says they're wrong to PROTEST.

They are wrong to attack, club, throw molotov cocktails, hit people in the head with locks, hold up traffic, vandalize, and start fires.

They can protest if they like. They are not allowed to chase people, drive people off stages, or prevent other people from speaking.

Get it?

They're going to start getting shot if they don't knock it off, and your masters know that is what they are coming to. They are fine with you getting shot, btw. In fact, they WANT it and are counting on it. That's why they use mentally ill, addicted, homeless, and criminal lunatics, like you, to disrupt events. You poor sad nutjobs are the only ones stupid enough, and violent enough, to pull this kind of crap.

Then you little shits are going to squeal like the pigs you are.

Yes I am, it's just that you're not intellectually capable of realising that I am.

See post #65 and try to read before responding, turbo.

I agree completely with the sentiments of this article. Universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions. Instead, what we've seen over the last several years are weak-kneed administrators acquiescing to the demands of sniveling little brats who can't handle hearing an idea they don't approve of. Rather than fostering an environment where diverse discussion can take place, most of our universities have been hijacked by extreme left wing administrators, faculties, and students who have embraced fascism and are engaging in modern day Nazi book burnings. If the people in charge won't stop this attack on free speech then it's time to start replacing them, by force, if necessary, particularly at those which are taxpayer funded.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/if-us-campuses-cant-protect-free-speech-they-need-new-management/

"I may hate what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it!" - what happened to that mindset?

it really speaks poorly for our friends on the left - are they fearful of having their beliefs and ideas challenged?

It's more than just a little crazy - it is the "anti fascists" acting like fascists

the fact that they use violence and intimidation makes it even more pernicious
The spawn of Bernie's Bolsheviks and Trumps Thugs has led to these confrontations.

So shut them down yes?

You really have a one track mind, don't you? Individuals within the BLM should be held accountable for advocating killing white people or killing police officers. But contrary to you and your warped fascist world view, I don't believe they ALL should be punished for a few mens crimes.
and yet you impose that very punishment for all right wingers.

And then scratch your head when you're called a hypocrite.

And it is perfectly within the rights of the students to object to them speaking and to protest against extremist right wing shitbags polluting their campus. If students want to listen to Ann Coulter spew her usual hate, or Milo preaching the virtues of gay sex with children, or Richard Spencer preaching the virtues of exterminating all races except anglo-saxons, they can go to their platforms and listen to them until they're blue in the face. They are under no obligation to be forced to listen to them while at school. That is NOT part of their tuition.

Get that through your fucking head.

Understand now?

You might have a point, if anything you were saying was remotely truthful. Nobody is being forced to listen to anybody and nobody is saying students don't have the right to protest.

Yet right here on this very forum, there seems to be a new thread every week about how these students are "wrong" to protest. Interesting, that.

You're a fucking liar.

Nobody says they're wrong to PROTEST.

They are wrong to attack, club, throw molotov cocktails, hit people in the head with locks, hold up traffic, vandalize, and start fires.

They can protest if they like. They are not allowed to chase people, drive people off stages, or prevent other people from speaking.

Get it?

They're going to start getting shot. Then you little shits are going to squeal like the pigs you are.
Agree.

Protesting is fine.

Rioting is not.

Bravo.

And, of course, the security excuse is simply a ruse. They want to maintain the tight ideological grip they have on their kids and are afraid opposing views might open some kids' minds.

As as far as your point that "universities are supposed to be institutions that offer and value diverse thoughts and opinions", well, they simply don't give a shit. Look at the posts on this site.
BTW, Anne Coulter is challenging the Berkley campus next week. I can't wait to see what the college ends up doing. They have already recanted their decision to not let her speak by setting up another date now. she said, nope, I'll be there on the 29th. funny shit.

So shut them down yes?

Huh? What punishment is that? Please, don't try to be clever. You're just confusing yourself.

Bravo.

BTW, Anne Coulter is challenging the Berkley campus next week. I can't wait to see what the college ends up doing. They have already recanted their decision to not let her speak by setting up another date now. she said, nope, I'll be there on the 29th. funny shit.
This shit needs to be challenged, loudly. Our kids deserve better.

BTW, nothing like a university standing in the way of a right wing student's education.

So shut them down yes?

Huh? What punishment is that? Please, don't try to be clever. You're just confusing yourself.
I am? seems it is you confused.

I'm sorry, are you trying to add value to the discussion, or are you shitting on it for the lulz? You don't see the irony in your use of the word fascism in the above statement?

"Stop whining" is a figure of speech, champ. One the right loves to use all the time. "Stop whining," and "fuck your feelings" were favorites of guys like Milo. Sometimes I like to use their own language to make a point, other times just for the lulz.

Some stereotypes are based in verifiable truth.

Forum List

Back