If we can't see an atom or a god, how do we 'prove' or 'disprove' these things exist, and do we even need proof?

Things can exist even if we can’t see them. Sometimes, they leave evidence of their existence even though the rings themselves can’t be seen.

I can’t see gravity. But we can see damn good evidence of it. And it can be calculated so well that we send rockets into space and use the gravitational effects of the inner planets to send them outward further and faster with great accuracy. So, the fact that I can’t see it doesn’t mean not doesn’t exist.

We have similar inferential evidence of the existence not just of atoms, but of electrons and quarks.

After that, things get complicated —because I think it’s also fair to say that: sometimes we see things occurring for which we have no proof of any underlying cause. So maybe it too is caused by things we cannot see. Or, maybe there is no such “thing” lying behind the effects.

But that’s pretty counter-intuitive.

For example, we recognize an order in our universe. Heck, we count on it. We often work mightily to ascertain what lies behind that order. I suppose it could be that patterns we observe (and rules which have far-flung applicability) are mere happenstance. Could be. But I think our collective experiences are nice informs us otherwise.
Science agrees. NASA.

Yes.

"sometimes we see things occurring for which we have no proof of any underlying cause?" - I'd say the fact that we see them is proof enough. An underlying cause? That is what we use science for in trying to find out. Of course science today does not negate, that there are things caused by things that we cannot see. That's okay. There is always something lying behind an effect ... cause.

Okay

We assume order. I'm not sure recognizing an order in our universe is language I would use here. What does it actually mean? Patterns? The human brain seeks patterns. Doesn't mean...

If we can't see an atom or a god, how do we 'prove' or 'disprove' these things exist, and do we even need proof? Why would proof be needed or desired? If we do a thorough investigation seeking evidence of the atom and of a god, where will we find ourselves?

So far:

The atom:

A god:
EMPTY - MPTY - MPT - MT - ___________________

Is this correct? If not, what am I missing? What scientific proof is there of a god existing?

Maybe you could jump off a high cliff.

Then come back and tell us what you found on the other side, if anything.

Science agrees. NASA.

Yes.

"sometimes we see things occurring for which we have no proof of any underlying cause?" - I'd say the fact that we see them is proof enough. An underlying cause? That is what we use science for in trying to find out. Of course science today does not negate, that there are things caused by things that we cannot see. That's okay. There is always something lying behind an effect ... cause.

Okay

We assume order. I'm not sure recognizing an order in our universe is language I would use here. What does it actually mean? Patterns? The human brain seeks patterns. Doesn't mean...
The fact that we see patterns and thereby make hypotheses is part of the process of science. It’s also why we test so much: to try to ascertain whether the “pattern” is real or illusory.

Mary Baker Eddy is on line #666

"According to a long-standing rumor, a telephone was installed in Mary Baker Eddy's tomb at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts. This is not true. The origin of this rumor seems to center around the circumstances following Eddy's death on December 3, 1910."

Asking or wondering why breath can or cannot be seen, is a demand.
No. It’s not. It’s asking a question.

But you miss the point. That I can’t see air doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

The fact that we see patterns and thereby make hypotheses is part of the process of science. It’s also why we test so much: to try to ascertain whether the “pattern” is real or illusory.

The brain:

Superior pattern processing is the essence of the evolved human brain​

No. It’s not. It’s asking a question.

But you miss the point. That I can’t see air doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.
Not sure how we got here. I've never claimed that if one cannot see something, it means that that something does not exist.

Forum List

Back