If you are HONEST, you are AGNOSTIC

“In my life as scientist I have come upon two major problems which, though rooted in science, though they would occur in this form only to a scientist, project beyond science, and are I think ultimately insoluble as science. That is hardly to be wondered at, since one involves consciousness and the other, cosmology.

The consciousness problem was hardly avoidable by one who has spent most of his life studying mechanisms of vision. We have learned a lot, we hope to learn much more; but none of it touches or even points, however tentatively, in the direction of what it means to see. Our observations in human eyes and nervous systems and in those of frogs are basically much alike. I know that I see; but does a frog see? It reacts to light; so do cameras, garage doors, any number of photoelectric devices. But does it see? Is it aware that it is reacting? There is nothing I can do as a scientist to answer that question, no way that I can identify either the presence or absence of consciousness. I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception. Consciousness seems to me to be wholly impervious to science.

The second problem involves the special properties of our universe. Life seems increasingly to be part of the order of nature. We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds life?

It has occurred to me lately - I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities - that both questions might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that Mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality - that the stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is Mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life, and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create.”

George Wald, 1984, “Life and Mind in the Universe”, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology Symposium 11, 1984: 1-15.
What is your scientific education level?

Being that you claim to be a scientist that has nothing better to do than quote genesis here which is not scientific
I never claimed to be a scientist. I'm an engineer. Engineering is the commercial application of science in case you were wondering.

But here is a scientist, Bar Ilan University’s Professor Nathan Aviezer, that will tell you that the Big Bang matches the account of Genesis.

“Without addressing who or what caused it, the mechanics of the creation process in the Big Bang match the Genesis story perfectly. If I had to make up a theory to match the first passages in Genesis, the Big Bang theory would be it,” said Aviezer."

Could New Scientific Discovery Support Creation?

Nathan Aviezer - Wikipedia

“In my life as scientist I have come upon two major problems which, though rooted in science, though they would occur in this form only to a scientist, project beyond science, and are I think ultimately insoluble as science. That is hardly to be wondered at, since one involves consciousness and the other, cosmology.

The consciousness problem was hardly avoidable by one who has spent most of his life studying mechanisms of vision. We have learned a lot, we hope to learn much more; but none of it touches or even points, however tentatively, in the direction of what it means to see. Our observations in human eyes and nervous systems and in those of frogs are basically much alike. I know that I see; but does a frog see? It reacts to light; so do cameras, garage doors, any number of photoelectric devices. But does it see? Is it aware that it is reacting? There is nothing I can do as a scientist to answer that question, no way that I can identify either the presence or absence of consciousness. I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception. Consciousness seems to me to be wholly impervious to science.

The second problem involves the special properties of our universe. Life seems increasingly to be part of the order of nature. We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds life?

It has occurred to me lately - I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities - that both questions might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that Mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality - that the stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is Mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life, and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create.”

George Wald, 1984, “Life and Mind in the Universe”, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology Symposium 11, 1984: 1-15.

Being that you claim to be a scientist that has nothing better to do than quote genesis here which is not scientific
I never claimed to be a scientist. I'm an engineer. Engineering is the commercial application of science in case you were wondering.

But here is a scientist, Bar Ilan University’s Professor Nathan Aviezer, that will tell you that the Big Bang matches the account of Genesis.

“Without addressing who or what caused it, the mechanics of the creation process in the Big Bang match the Genesis story perfectly. If I had to make up a theory to match the first passages in Genesis, the Big Bang theory would be it,” said Aviezer."

Yes you did

Bachelor of Science in engineering.
Currently unemployed and babbling here
No. Off today getting ready to travel to Alaska to go fishing.
Dude you are off everyday
Nope, but I do get off every other Friday and have 6 weeks of vacation every year and play 3 rounds of golf every week.

Making you look bad. :lol:
Actually you are claiming in one post that God created the universe, then in another you are claiming that science explains everything. Thus you are completely inconsistent which is due to your mental state
Science is the study of nature to discover the order of nature so as to be able to make predictions about nature.

So science is totally compatible with God as God is the author of nature so to speak.

What better way to learn about God than by studying what he created. I could do the same thing to you. I could learn all kinds of things about you by studying what you created.
But when we take life to Mars we are God and did not create nature
Talk to me when we create time the laws of nature and time and space.
Why don't you explain where all that came from to us unscientific fools.

Fact you do not know what is in my left pocket and we are so close that we are touching in universal terms. Yet you know what everything is and where it came from.

Now impress us all and tell us what is in my pocket
Ok.

It should be obvious that if the material world were not created by spirit that everything that has unfolded in the evolution of space and time would have no intentional purpose. That it is just matter and energy doing what matter and energy do. Conversely, if the material world were created by spirit it should be obvious that the creation of the material world was intentional. After all in my perception of God, God is no thing and the closest thing I can relate to is a mind with no body. Using our own experiences as creators as a proxy, we know that when we create things we create them for a reason and that reason is to serve some purpose. So it would be no great leap of logic to believe that something like a mind with no body would do the same. We also know from our experiences that intelligence tends to create intelligence. We are obsessed with making smart things. So what better thing for a mind with no body to do than create a universe where beings with bodies can create smart things too.

We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds beings that know and create.

The biological laws are such that life is programmed to survive and multiply which is a requisite for intelligence to arise. If the purpose of the universe was to create intelligence then a preference in nature for it had to exist. The Laws of Nature are such that the potential for intelligence to existed the moment space and time were created. One can argue that given the laws of nature and the size of the universe that intelligence arising was inevitable. One can also argue that creating intelligence from nothing defies the Second Law of Entropy. That creating intelligence from nothing increases order within the universe. It actually doesn't because usable energy was lost along the way as a cost of creating order from disorder. But it is nature overriding it's tendency for ever increasing disorder that interests me and raises my suspicions to look deeper and to take seriously the proposition that a mind without a body created the material world so that minds with bodies could create too.

If we examine the physical laws we discover that we live in a logical universe governed by rules, laws and information. Rules laws and information are a signs of intelligence. Intentionality and purpose are signs of intelligence. The definition of reason is a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event. The definition of purpose is the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. The consequence of a logical universe is that every cause has an effect. Which means that everything happens for a reason and serves a purpose. The very nature of our physical laws point to reason and purpose.

All we have done so far is to make a logical argument for spirit creating the material world. Certainly not an argument built of fairy tales that's for sure. So going back to the two possibilities; spirit creating the material world versus everything proceeding from the material, the key distinction is no thing versus thing. So if we assume that everything I have described was just an accidental coincidence of the properties of matter, the logical conclusion is that matter and energy are just doing what matter and energy do which makes sense. The problem is that for matter and energy to do what matter and energy do, there has to be rules in place for matter and energy to obey. The formation of space and time followed rules. Specifically the law of conservation and quantum mechanics. These laws existed before space and time and defined the potential of everything which was possible. These laws are no thing. So we literally have an example of no thing existing before the material world. The creation of space and time from nothing is literally correct. Space and time were created from no thing. Spirit is no thing. No thing created space and time.

Yes you did
Show me.

Actually you are claiming in one post that God created the universe, then in another you are claiming that science explains everything. Thus you are completely inconsistent which is due to your mental state
Science is the study of nature to discover the order of nature so as to be able to make predictions about nature.

So science is totally compatible with God as God is the author of nature so to speak.

What better way to learn about God than by studying what he created. I could do the same thing to you. I could learn all kinds of things about you by studying what you created.
But when we take life to Mars we are God and did not create nature
Talk to me when we create time the laws of nature and time and space.
Why don't you explain where all that came from to us unscientific fools.

Fact you do not know what is in my left pocket and we are so close that we are touching in universal terms. Yet you know what everything is and where it came from.

Now impress us all and tell us what is in my pocket
Ok.

It should be obvious that if the material world were not created by spirit that everything that has unfolded in the evolution of space and time would have no intentional purpose. That it is just matter and energy doing what matter and energy do. Conversely, if the material world were created by spirit it should be obvious that the creation of the material world was intentional. After all in my perception of God, God is no thing and the closest thing I can relate to is a mind with no body. Using our own experiences as creators as a proxy, we know that when we create things we create them for a reason and that reason is to serve some purpose. So it would be no great leap of logic to believe that something like a mind with no body would do the same. We also know from our experiences that intelligence tends to create intelligence. We are obsessed with making smart things. So what better thing for a mind with no body to do than create a universe where beings with bodies can create smart things too.

We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds beings that know and create.

The biological laws are such that life is programmed to survive and multiply which is a requisite for intelligence to arise. If the purpose of the universe was to create intelligence then a preference in nature for it had to exist. The Laws of Nature are such that the potential for intelligence to existed the moment space and time were created. One can argue that given the laws of nature and the size of the universe that intelligence arising was inevitable. One can also argue that creating intelligence from nothing defies the Second Law of Entropy. That creating intelligence from nothing increases order within the universe. It actually doesn't because usable energy was lost along the way as a cost of creating order from disorder. But it is nature overriding it's tendency for ever increasing disorder that interests me and raises my suspicions to look deeper and to take seriously the proposition that a mind without a body created the material world so that minds with bodies could create too.

If we examine the physical laws we discover that we live in a logical universe governed by rules, laws and information. Rules laws and information are a signs of intelligence. Intentionality and purpose are signs of intelligence. The definition of reason is a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event. The definition of purpose is the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. The consequence of a logical universe is that every cause has an effect. Which means that everything happens for a reason and serves a purpose. The very nature of our physical laws point to reason and purpose.

All we have done so far is to make a logical argument for spirit creating the material world. Certainly not an argument built of fairy tales that's for sure. So going back to the two possibilities; spirit creating the material world versus everything proceeding from the material, the key distinction is no thing versus thing. So if we assume that everything I have described was just an accidental coincidence of the properties of matter, the logical conclusion is that matter and energy are just doing what matter and energy do which makes sense. The problem is that for matter and energy to do what matter and energy do, there has to be rules in place for matter and energy to obey. The formation of space and time followed rules. Specifically the law of conservation and quantum mechanics. These laws existed before space and time and defined the potential of everything which was possible. These laws are no thing. So we literally have an example of no thing existing before the material world. The creation of space and time from nothing is literally correct. Space and time were created from no thing. Spirit is no thing. No thing created space and time.
Obvious to schizzo scientist like you

Nope, but I do get off every other Friday and have 6 weeks of vacation every year and play 3 rounds of golf every week.
I forgot to mention I have an old fashioned pension and stock options.

You claimed to be a scientist in the post that I am replying too. Got that schizzopants

Retard alert

I could describe my finances but they are classified like Trumps taxes

Next

You claimed to be a scientist in the post that I am replying too. Got that schizzopants

Retard alert
Show me. Link to it.

I could describe my finances but they are classified like Trumps taxes

Next
Don't care about your finances. I already know everything I need to know about you.

You are now shown that you said that you are a scientist....... Since the program here provides the text in this post no link is needed.

The fact that you forget so quickly is because u r changing personalities as schitzos do

You are reading what you want to see and ignoring the rest. He has clearly stated that he hasn't got a clue what consciousness is. In fact, he seems to be saying that he believes (which is not the same thing as knowing) that you can't know what it is.
No. I am reading exactly what he wrote.

"I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception."

He knows what consciousness is. He doesn't believe it is anything science can measure because it can't be measured because it is not one thing. It is everything together.

Consciousness is an artifact of intelligence. Free will is an artifact of intelligence. The ability to choose distinguishes from the rest of the living world. It's the thing that sets us apart.

As I said, you are reading what you want to see and ignoring the rest. I can't make you read the entire thing.
What am I ignoring? That he can't tell if a frog is conscious? That he believes consciousness is impervious to science?

No. I understand he said those things. What am I missing and how does that change the fact that he said he believes consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception?

I don't think you did understand or you wouldn't continue to insist that he is saying he knows what consciousness is. You are convinced and I don't believe (which is not the same thing as knowing - hint, hint) I am going to change that.
If he knows that he is conscious and can ask the question what is consciousness then he knows what consciousness is.

Are you - a conscious being - arguing that YOU don't know what consciousness is? Think, McFly, think.

I'm not arguing it. I'm stating it.

Tell us again that a human without a brain is still concious
That depends on if you believe you are more than just material.
Consciousness is material it is the product of brain activity in short it is ram memory running on electrical synapses. Totally material. Any belief otherwise says that the brain is not needed
Thoughts are not material. Just like the laws of nature are not material. Just like music isn't material. Or science isn't material. Or mathematics isn't material. Or potential isn't material.

But they all have one thing in common. Information. Which by the way isn't material. So why is it so hard for you to imagine the immaterial. Or that the source of information can be something which is immaterial. Which by the way would qualify it as something that can be eternal which could qualify it as the solution to the first cause conundrum.
dingbat, it's a thread about honesty, so what's are you doing here?
Making you look bad. :lol:
I don't need your help, just ask a mod how many times I've been banned.

No. I am reading exactly what he wrote.

"I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception."

He knows what consciousness is. He doesn't believe it is anything science can measure because it can't be measured because it is not one thing. It is everything together.

Consciousness is an artifact of intelligence. Free will is an artifact of intelligence. The ability to choose distinguishes from the rest of the living world. It's the thing that sets us apart.

As I said, you are reading what you want to see and ignoring the rest. I can't make you read the entire thing.
What am I ignoring? That he can't tell if a frog is conscious? That he believes consciousness is impervious to science?

No. I understand he said those things. What am I missing and how does that change the fact that he said he believes consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception?

I don't think you did understand or you wouldn't continue to insist that he is saying he knows what consciousness is. You are convinced and I don't believe (which is not the same thing as knowing - hint, hint) I am going to change that.
If he knows that he is conscious and can ask the question what is consciousness then he knows what consciousness is.

Are you - a conscious being - arguing that YOU don't know what consciousness is? Think, McFly, think.

I'm not arguing it. I'm stating it.
You are stating that you don’t know you are conscious?

You are now shown that you said that you are a scientist....... Since the program here provides the text in this post no link is needed.

The fact that you forget so quickly is because u r changing personalities as schitzos do
I’m pretty happy with our exchange.

You proved your inconsistencies well. Mr. Scientist

Last edited:

You misspelled point.

Correct. The solution is the solution. And the only solution to what came before that is something which is eternal.

We know matter and energy cannot be eternal without reaching thermal equilibrium. So the solution must be something which is immaterial. Spirit is immaterial.
Actually what you are saying is that since you do not know the answer as to what the universe is that it was created by spirits.

That belief if staunch is schizzo in nature
No. I am saying that we know matter and energy cannot be eternal or the reason for the creation of the universe.

Therefore, it must be something else. Consciousness, which we know exists, fits the bill. Consciousness can be eternal and since the universe is effectively nothing more than information consciousness can be its source.
First of all there is no we. Second the scientific law of conservation of mass spells out clearly that matter and energy are eternal and merely change form repetitively. You do not know the answers as to where matter and energy came from initially. No human does, therefore you assign a spirit as your god.

Point in fact, before plate tectonics was understood, volcanic eruptions were caused by angry gods and spirits.
Do you know what thermal equilibrium is? Do you understand that as time approaches infinity that all objects will become uniform in temperature? This is simple thermodynamics.

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. It merely changes form. But for every matter to energy or energy to matter transaction there is a corresponding los of useable energy. This does not mean that energy is destroyed. The total energy remains the same. It's just that the ability to do thermodynamic works is reduced. Energy flows from higher energy objects to lower energy objects. Eventually all objects will equilibrate. That's how we know that what we see or what created what we see cannot be eternal.
Time and space are undefined, humans can only attempt to describe them. Are you aware that science is claiming that 85 percent of the universe is missing? I can tell you for a fact that it is all there right where it belongs. Nothing about thermal equilibrium explains space time or the creation of matter, so you blame God for their creation. When mocked you go back to another schizzo personality and start referencing science as explaining creation.

Simplified you have no answers, but believe as you choose because you are mentally ill

Tell a shrink that you understand where the universe came from
Then explain red shift? Explain cosmic background radiation?

You can’t. Cosmic background radiation is the remnant of the Big Bang. Red shift shows the expansion of the universe.

You misspelled point.
And you said in one post that you are a scientist, then you said that u were not. Poiint being you are schizzooooo

Forum List

Back