If you are HONEST, you are AGNOSTIC

You didn't ask me, but I never went to church as a child and bought a Bible when I was a teenager with my babysitting money. I hid it under my bed so my parents wouldn'tknow about it.
I finally asked a friend who Jesus was and what the red print meant and if God and Jesus were the same person. I was 21 when I found someone I didn't think would belittle me. God must have smiled that I wasn't coerced into believing but I came to him after He came to me.
Love it!

I was one of eight children brought up in a Catholic family, with an extended family that included atheists and Protestants. Two of us consistently practice our faith, another two consider themselves non-practicing Catholics (but still Catholic) and the others don't give religion much thought. I think it odd that some seem to believe that people of faith are only people of faith because when they were children they were told to believe. There comes a point in everyone's life where they make a choice--whether to continue exploring and living their faith or moving forward without it.

No it isn't. A christian child believes in jesus because he is told to do so. And most christian adults believe in jesus because they were told to do so as a child.
Were you taught religious beliefs by a child?
Irrelevant. The fact remains that christian children believe in jesus because they were told to do so. And most adult christians believe in jesus because they were told to do so as children.

Were you taught religious beliefs as a fetus?
Considering that the family went to Church each week and prayed aloud several times a day as a family, I guess I was. It was in my blood, so-to-speak.
The fact remains that christian children believe in jesus because they were told to do so. And most adult christians believe in jesus because they were told to do so as children.

The fact remains that christian children believe in jesus because they were told to do so. And most adult christians believe in jesus because they were told to do so as children.
How many Christians have said this? (As opposed to, How many times have you said this?)

Considering that the family went to Church each week and prayed aloud several times a day as a family, I guess I was. It was in my blood, so-to-speak.
I disagree. You are assuming people have no choice of their own.

How many Christians have said this?
Who cares? That's what brainwashing is. How many hindus in india have said this about themselves? How many buddhists in japan? Gee, why are they hindus and Buddhists? Mostly, because thats what they were told as children. Same for christianity. No, your set of myths is not special at all, to anyone with any perspective on religion.

It wasn’t in your blood so much as it was a program of indoctrination.

Your comment identifies just how arbitrary religious belief is. Had you been born in India, more than likely you would have been a Shiva worshipper. The Hindu gods are just the resident gods there.

Overwhelming, religion for most people is nothing more than happenstance of place of birth. Surprisingly, most people spend more time decision-making about the pet they share their household with as opposed to the gods they let run their lives.

How many Christians have said this?
Who cares? That's what brainwashing is. How many hindus in india have said this about themselves? How many buddhists in japan? Gee, why are they hindus and Buddhists? Mostly, because thats what they were told as children. Same for christianity. No, your set of myths is not special at all, to anyone with any perspective on religion.
It shouldn’t be surprising that different cultures have different perceptions of the creator or different practices of worship.

At the end of the day they aren’t that different so as to be diametrically opposed to each other.

If anything the prevalent belief in a creator across all cultures proves that worshipping a creator is hardwired into us.

Everyone worships something.

It shouldn’t be surprising that different cultures have different perceptions of the creator or different practices of worship.
Obviously, since all religions are manmade. Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Yes, but God isn’t.
Nah, gods are probably man-made, too.
There is only one Creator. You keep confusing perceptions of God with beliefs in multiple Gods.

But the fact is, most people are the religion they are, because that is what they were told as children. It's a simple fact, no matter how much you protest.
You sound like that is unheard of--that it took you to figure it out for everyone. Trust me, all of us knew by the time we were five we were of the religious faith we were due to family. Catch a clue! What you do not seem to get is that those of us who choose to remain of that faith made that decision to remain as an adult. If that were not the case you would still be practicing the religion you were born into. I hate to break it to you, but the rest of us figured out all of this aeons ago. It appears you figured it out such a short time ago that you are still amazed by it. Coming from a former five-year-old, I say that is unbelievable.

Forum List

Back