If you could go back in time and stop one historical event, what would it be?

Of course, everyone here realizes that the vast majority of these ideas would make us all cease to exist, right???

If some altered historical event would have resulted in my parents never meeting and therefore in my not being born, that's OK with me. Their DNA would have been passed on in slightly different form through the offspring of the different partners that they likely would have selected. One's individual birth (or non-birth) has no effect on the gene pool.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Of course, everyone here realizes that the vast majority of these ideas would make us all cease to exist, right???

If some altered historical event would have resulted in my parents never meeting and therefore in my not being born, that's OK with me. Their DNA would have been passed on in slightly different form through the offspring of the different partners that they likely would have selected. One's individual birth (or non-birth) has no effect on the gene pool.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No it does not but it certainly has a MAJOR effect on ME!!!! Who gives a whit about the gene pool. I am looking out for nemero uno here ;)

LOL.

I like living. It appears we have a lot of people here who do not care either way! :eek: Scary….

Even the atomic bombs did not discourage the militeristic powers in Japan, who tried to stage a coup and isolate the emperor in the emperial palace before his surrender recording was released to the radio for the Japanese public.

My step-father was scheduled for deployment in the Japanese invasion, after Okinawa. He felt like this chnace of survival was maybe 75%-80%, or 50% chance that he would be a casuality of some sort. He was also aware that they were going to have to kill a LOT of civilians...even children, who were being trained to resist with spears.

Yes: and the invasion force would have lost its biggest advantage in late summer: the monsoons would have grounded the US aircraft!

But the fact is that on March 9, alone, just one of Curtis LeMay's incendiary raids killed over 100,000 Japanese, almost all of whom were civilians, and these raids continued for the rest of the war. The atomic bombs did not kill as many as LeMay's raids did, but they did put a swift end to the war. BTW, the Japanese were still on the offensive in China, until the Russians entered the war in the last few days. In those few days, the Russians killed 100,000 Japanese.

Finally, it would be a big mistake to ignore the threat of the kamakasi attacks of the invasion fleet. They were deadly, and devastating.

True: the Japanese had stockpiled thousands upon thousands of suicide planes (including twin-engine bombers packed with 5000+lbs of explosives), rocket-bombs (2000+lb warheads...imagine what THAT would do hitting a troop ship!), suicide boats, and midget submarines (basically: manned torpedoes). Also, the Japanese would have a big advantage: they would know EXACTLY where the invasion would be. (There are only a couple of places on Honshu where an invasion is practical.)

Last, but not least, America was war weary, and the money to continue to wage it was running out. The 7th bond drive was pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. Truman knew that if word got out at any point that he had failed to use a weapon that could have ended the war, he would have been impeached.

Yep, that too!

We did what we had to do, and we saved the Japanese nation from themselves, by doing it.

Spot on.

I would arm Trevon. Tell him to shoot that fat fuck as soon as he went for his gun ...or better yet, have trevon shoot him and say "he reached for something".

Then Martin (if he connected) would go down for murder. Note: he could not legally carry a gun!

Thank you Mr. Spock.

Are you that asshole that talks during time travel movies about how this and that can't happen?

If so, please find a mirror, yell at yourself to shut the fuck up, then smack yourself across the mouth.

b/c you know you had that coming.

:eusa_angel:

I'm with Two Thumbs but in the spirit of the challenge of the OP, I would have stopped Teddy Roosevelt from turning the Constitution on its head and thereby giving modern liberalism/progressivism a foothold in this country. Instead he would have strengthened the Constitution as the Founders intended it.

Jamestown Va. Circa 1619. I would have turned back the first boatload of 20 or so Africans that where brought here to be sold into slavery and made the Southerners pick their own damn cotton. Whole lot better, more prosperous and safer nation if we could go back and find a way to keep the negroes out
Now if we could just find a way to go back and keep the racists out..........

I'd go back and poke holes in Christoper Columbus's boats before they ever started out, keep all you war mongering, genocidal Europeans out of the western hemisphere.
Now, that is an excellent suggestion -- and one I admit I hadn't thought of !!

Unfortunately, one would need to go on poking hole after hole in ship after ship, ad infinitum -- there were just so many greedy, cruel, starving dog Europeans on the make by 1500.

I am afraid it was just an unstoppable flood of ignorant barbarism exploding out of the western extremity of Eurasia.

Thank you for mentioning that additional positive benefit resulting from these ideas.

I'm with Two Thumbs but in the spirit of the challenge of the OP, I would have stopped Teddy Roosevelt from turning the Constitution on its head and thereby giving modern liberalism/progressivism a foothold in this country. Instead he would have strengthened the Constitution as the Founders intended it.

The progressive movement was a BI-partisan ground swell in direct response to what America had BECOME. It was no longer a government of the people, by the people and for the people. America had become an aristocracy, a ruling hierarchy had all the power.

So at least we are able to put to rest the bullshit you keep trying to stuff down our throats in every post. Your wish is consistent with right wing conservatism that is NOT classical liberalism.

Classical liberals assume a natural equality of humans; conservatives assume a natural hierarchy.
James M. Buchanan

Even the atomic bombs did not discourage the militeristic powers in Japan, who tried to stage a coup and isolate the emperor in the emperial palace before his surrender recording was released to the radio for the Japanese public.

My step-father was scheduled for deployment in the Japanese invasion, after Okinawa. He felt like this chnace of survival was maybe 75%-80%, or 50% chance that he would be a casuality of some sort. He was also aware that they were going to have to kill a LOT of civilians...even children, who were being trained to resist with spears.

Yes: and the invasion force would have lost its biggest advantage in late summer: the monsoons would have grounded the US aircraft!

But the fact is that on March 9, alone, just one of Curtis LeMay's incendiary raids killed over 100,000 Japanese, almost all of whom were civilians, and these raids continued for the rest of the war. The atomic bombs did not kill as many as LeMay's raids did, but they did put a swift end to the war. BTW, the Japanese were still on the offensive in China, until the Russians entered the war in the last few days. In those few days, the Russians killed 100,000 Japanese.

Finally, it would be a big mistake to ignore the threat of the kamakasi attacks of the invasion fleet. They were deadly, and devastating.

True: the Japanese had stockpiled thousands upon thousands of suicide planes (including twin-engine bombers packed with 5000+lbs of explosives), rocket-bombs (2000+lb warheads...imagine what THAT would do hitting a troop ship!), suicide boats, and midget submarines (basically: manned torpedoes). Also, the Japanese would have a big advantage: they would know EXACTLY where the invasion would be. (There are only a couple of places on Honshu where an invasion is practical.)

Last, but not least, America was war weary, and the money to continue to wage it was running out. The 7th bond drive was pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. Truman knew that if word got out at any point that he had failed to use a weapon that could have ended the war, he would have been impeached.

Yep, that too!

We did what we had to do, and we saved the Japanese nation from themselves, by doing it.

Spot on.

One other seminal point needs to be made. America was not the only country working on an a-bomb and more devastating weapons.

If you could go back in time and stop one historical event in the history of the planet, what would it be?

Adam eating the apple?
The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
The assassination of Lincoln? Kennedy?
Stop 9/11?
Stop the Celtics from winning the '69 title?
Stop Obama from becoming President?
You can stop any event you want, but you only get one choice!

What event would prevent from ever happening?

Hitler's mom from ever becoming a heterosexual?

If I could go back in time, it would be to perform an abortion on Moses Hess, the demented, satanic, diabolical bastard who raped the minds of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. A sick minded hateful turd whose political ideology has lead to the deaths of millions of innocent people, and brainwashed billions of others

I thought it would have been bill buckners dropped ball in the 1986 world series :lol:

It would be easy to say stop WWII, but if there had been no WWII would there still be a Nazi Germany, a Facist Italy, an Imperial Japan, a Soviet Empire, all the with the bomb and no reason not to use it?

It would be easy to say stop the bomb, but where. With whom? Once the idea, the information is out there, the technology has been developed, it can't be undone. Much better that honorable men have it as well as evil ones.

We can't stop all progress. We can't stop ideas.

But we could have stopped Teddy Roosevelt from destroying the intent of the Constitution and stopped him from opening the door to the entitlement mentality, the ever larger and more bloated and more all encompassing government overrreach, the gradual return to servitude of political powers, the neocon power trip, and the slow but sure destruction of the America culture to the point we no longer even challenge a corrupt and ever more grasping and coercive government.

If you could go back in time and stop one historical event in the history of the planet, what would it be?

Adam eating the apple?
The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
The assassination of Lincoln? Kennedy?
Stop 9/11?
Stop the Celtics from winning the '69 title?
Stop Obama from becoming President?
You can stop any event you want, but you only get one choice!

What event would prevent from ever happening?

Hitler's mom from ever becoming a heterosexual?

If I could go back in time, it would be to perform an abortion on Moses Hess, the demented, satanic, diabolical bastard who raped the minds of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. A sick minded hateful turd whose political ideology has lead to the deaths of millions of innocent people, and brainwashed billions of others

I thought it would have been bill buckners dropped ball in the 1986 world series :lol:

He'll never live that down!

One other seminal point needs to be made. America was not the only country working on an a-bomb and more devastating weapons.
Amidst all the lust for mass-murder, willful ignorance of history and incoherent thinking exhibited on this thread, what does that have to do with the criminal atom bombing of Japan?

All other enemies were defeated, Japan was frantic to surrender, and no one else was even close to developing atom bombs.

Amidst all the lust for mass-murder, willful ignorance of history and incoherent thinking exhibited on this thread, what does that have to do with the criminal atom bombing of Japan?

All other enemies were defeated, Japan was frantic to surrender, and no one else was even close to developing atom bombs.

If that is the event in history you would have stopped, fine.

Otherwise it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the OP.

Forum List

Back