If you could go back in time and stop one historical event, what would it be?

Just get most of the minorities out. You won't need much security, police, neighborhood watch, locks etc. Your neighborhoods won't go bad. Crime will drop way off. Your schools and hospitals will be better. The billions we pay in welfare and trying to educate them can be spent on making the country better and defending us from Muslimes.

Hahaha...... You were joking.... right? :cuckoo:

No. All true.

Sure thing there Sparky...... What planet did you say you lived on?

You know FF, you need to stop having your head filled with shit from morons like Glenn Beck. Our founding fathers created an entity to address gross malfeasance of power by factions like the robber barons...

I will give you a hint...it is 10 letters and begins with a G.

The first thing to understand is the difference between the natural person and the fictitious person called a corporation. They differ in the purpose for which they are created, in the strength which they possess, and in the restraints under which they act. Man is the handiwork of God and was placed upon earth to carry out a Divine purpose; the corporation is the handiwork of man and created to carry out a money-making policy. There is comparatively little difference in the strength of men; a corporation may be one hundred, one thousand, or even one million times stronger than the average man. Man acts under the restraints of conscience, and is influenced also by a belief in a future life. A corporation has no soul and cares nothing about the hereafter.
—William Jennings Bryan, 1912 Ohio Constitutional Convention

You know Bfgrn, you need to stop assuming that everyone you speak to that does not agree with your assertions that their heads are filled with ditto heads and devoid of original or rational thought. I don’t know if FF listens to Beck but tbh, I highly doubt it and I do know that FF’s thoughts are not made by others. She is a rational thinking person.

And just who the fuck are you again asshole, the referee? FF is semi rational at times, but you don't know where she gets her ideas. And she is certainly parroting the blather and bluster of moral-less MORONS like Glenn Beck, who is a menace to society.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

Ironic post of the week.

considering you get your talking points from the lowest of lifes on msn

I wouldn't change anything.

I used to think I would change the day my Dad was killed but then I most likely wouldn't have the life I have now. I would not have met my wife and I can't imagine my life without her now.

You know Bfgrn, you need to stop assuming that everyone you speak to that does not agree with your assertions that their heads are filled with ditto heads and devoid of original or rational thought. I don’t know if FF listens to Beck but tbh, I highly doubt it and I do know that FF’s thoughts are not made by others. She is a rational thinking person.

And just who the fuck are you again asshole, the referee? FF is semi rational at times, but you don't know where she gets her ideas. And she is certainly parroting the blather and bluster of moral-less MORONS like Glenn Beck, who is a menace to society.

Theodore Roosevelt

Ironic post of the week.

MLB Network is considered msn? Because that is all that is on my TV 24/7...

Theodore Roosevelt

Ironic post of the week.

MLB Network is considered msn? Because that is all that is on my TV 24/7...

you watch re-runs of baseball in the off season.

:lol:

No. All true.

We are a nation of immigrants. Chances are 99.9% of us are descended from immigrants or were immigrants ourselves. But most of us are descended from immigrants who arrived here with little or nothing and expected or hoped for nothing other than the opportunity to forge out a piece of the American dream for themselves. And the unique concept that is America provided them the ability to do that.

The difference now is that immigrants, both legal and illegal, are now too often additional strain on an overburdened welfare system and entitlement mentality that keeps far more people poor than those it helps achieve a piece of the American dream. It leaches the lifeblood from the economy and potential.

And THAT is a legacy invented and put into motion by the Teddy Roosevelt administration, a legacy he never saw coming. And that is why THAT is what I would choose to change if I could.

I understand your ideological 'theory', but it is manufactured bullshit. The FACTS don't support your theory.

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. American workers take less vacation time than any other people. American workers take pride in the quality of their work and their work ethic.

What Romney said during the campaign is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Who are the 47%?

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

No. All true.

We are a nation of immigrants. Chances are 99.9% of us are descended from immigrants or were immigrants ourselves. But most of us are descended from immigrants who arrived here with little or nothing and expected or hoped for nothing other than the opportunity to forge out a piece of the American dream for themselves. And the unique concept that is America provided them the ability to do that.

The difference now is that immigrants, both legal and illegal, are now too often additional strain on an overburdened welfare system and entitlement mentality that keeps far more people poor than those it helps achieve a piece of the American dream. It leaches the lifeblood from the economy and potential.

And THAT is a legacy invented and put into motion by the Teddy Roosevelt administration, a legacy he never saw coming. And that is why THAT is what I would choose to change if I could.

Since you responded to his thread, you do realize that Surfer was talking about MINORITIES, not IMMIGRANTS, right? They're not necessarily the same thing.

I used to think I would change the day my Dad was killed but then I most likely wouldn't have the life I have now. I would not have met my wife and I can't imagine my life without her now.

Perhaps that is why we are not given the omniscience to know the consequences of what we might change.

I do a lot of public speaking and like to use movie themes and concepts and/or characters to illustrate the point. Those with the interest and ability to understand generally get the point that way without insisting on making it too literal.

But one provocative theme was in the movie "Final Countdown." The concept was the modern aircraft carrier Nimitz going through a time warp and emerging December 6, 1941, in a position to intercept the approaching Japanese fleet.

Once they figured out the situation, the debate between the officers and one civilian observor on board, was provocative. There was enough fire power aboard the Nimitz to destroy the entire Japanese strike force and fleet, but unable to communicate with Washington, and a President who had been dead for decades, did they unilaterally take action to prevent an event that hadn't happened yet and only they knew was about to happen? Unilaterally start a war that hadn't started yet? Communication with other authorities was futile because the Nimitz didn't exist in 1941 and nobody would believe them. But they were officers sworn to do their duty against all enemies of the USA, foreign and domestic.

But what would that do to the course of history beyond this date? The Japanese people who wouldn't live. The people at Pearl Harbor who would?

As one of the characters pondered he said he doubted changing history would be so easy.

What would any of us do in that situation?

No. All true.

Since you responded to his thread, you do realize that Surfer was talking about MINORITIES, not IMMIGRANTS, right? They're not necessarily the same thing.

Foxy tends to assume people aren't complete assholes.

even when it's a hobby for them to act like they are getting paid to be assholes.

I think it's a good trait, kinda of like a counter to me that thinks everyone is an asshole, that's pretending to be nice.

:D

A good book to read that addresses this very concept of changing history is Stephen King's "11/22/63." Has anyone read it? It is about a portal through which a guy travels and goes back into the past to try and prevent the assassination of JFK.

He finds that: "the "obdurate" past seems to resist change, throwing up obstacles to prevent them from taking place; Al and Jake conclude this resistance is proportional to the historical effects of the changes."

Intriguing book, beautifully researched.

Last edited:

Perhaps that is why we are not given the omniscience to know the consequences of what we might change.

I do a lot of public speaking and like to use movie themes and concepts and/or characters to illustrate the point. Those with the interest and ability to understand generally get the point that way without insisting on making it too literal.

But one provocative theme was in the movie "Final Countdown." The concept was the modern aircraft carrier Nimitz going through a time warp and emerging December 6, 1941, in a position to intercept the approaching Japanese fleet.

Once they figured out the situation, the debate between the officers and one civilian observor on board, was provocative. There was enough fire power aboard the Nimitz to destroy the entire Japanese strike force and fleet, but unable to communicate with Washington, and a President who had been dead for decades, did they unilaterally take action to prevent an event that hadn't happened yet and only they knew was about to happen? Unilaterally start a war that hadn't started yet? Communication with other authorities was futile because the Nimitz didn't exist in 1941 and nobody would believe them. But they were officers sworn to do their duty against all enemies of the USA, foreign and domestic.

But what would that do to the course of history beyond this date? The Japanese people who wouldn't live. The people at Pearl Harbor who would?

As one of the characters pondered he said he doubted changing history would be so easy.

What would any of us do in that situation?

I recall watching "Final Countdown." That was a great movie premise. I love that kind of premise.

pause...

Unbelievable...it is 3:44 EST here. Just as I was typing I heard an airplane, and it had the unmistakable drone of radial engines. I raced outside to see what it was.

It was a B-29, the plane that dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

There is only one operational B-29 in the whole world...FiFi

Spooky! And AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
No. All true.

One of my failings is a compulsion to use the absurd as a teaching moment. I know I sometimes appear condescending and/or patronizing or an insufferable boor when I do that, but alas. . . .it is ingrained in my DNA. It is based on a heartfelt conviction that our history should inform us, not condemn us, and not excuse us from being better than we were.

So Surfer's intent wasn't really all that important in this situation. He just provided a springboard for a thoughtful discussion of what might have been.

But thanks to Two Thumbs for the compliment. Perhaps the nicest one I've had in a awhile. And I don't want to wreck his reputation or anythng, but I've observed a few posts of his that fell short of 'ass-hole-ism.' :)

One of my failings is a compulsion to use the absurd as a teaching moment. I know I sometimes appear condescending and/or patronizing or an insufferable boor when I do that, but alas. . . .it is ingrained in my DNA. It is based on a heartfelt conviction that our history should inform us, not condemn us, and not excuse us from being better than we were.

So Surfer's intent wasn't really all that important in this situation. He just provided a springboard for a thoughtful discussion of what might have been.

But thanks to Two Thumbs for the compliment. Perhaps the nicest one I've had in a awhile. And I don't want to wreck his reputation or anythng, but I've observed a few posts of his that fell short of 'ass-hole-ism.' :)

:link: or it didn't happen

If you could go back in time and stop one historical event in the history of the planet, what would it be?

Adam eating the apple?
The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
The assassination of Lincoln? Kennedy?
Stop 9/11?
Stop the Celtics from winning the '69 title?
Stop Obama from becoming President?
You can stop any event you want, but you only get one choice!

What event would prevent from ever happening?

Hitler's mom from ever becoming a heterosexual?

I would go back to 1860 and assassinate Lincoln before he got elected.

Jamestown Va. Circa 1619. I would have turned back the first boatload of 20 or so Africans that where brought here to be sold into slavery and made the Southerners pick their own damn cotton. Whole lot better, more prosperous and safer nation if we could go back and find a way to keep the negroes out.

Hey, you people who give Zona a hard time. Do you see this? Do you understand that there are people who think like THIS?

So when people say that blacks should shut up about the slavery and the lynchings and the discrimination because the blacks of today never experienced any of that...

I SAY BULLSHIT!

Because there are people like THIS everywhere, and especially apparent on this board. And black people of today know that. I cannot even begin to imagine the concept of someone HATING me just because I am white. But black people, even black people today, know what that's like.

Yeah, well I think to just ignore blatant racism like that is wrong. What he said was pretty crystal clear. He was talking about MINORITIES, not IMMIGRANTS.

I think you totally missed the real "teaching moment."

See my signature.

January 22 1973, is a day that will live in infamy.

If I could change a historical event, it would definitely be that

Forum List

Back