If you could have only 5 guns...

If it so happened that some really hot militia chics should have the authority to insist i come over and become well regulated; i would ask for those Arms which are enumerated in our supreme law of the land, with which to suppress Insurrections or repel Invasions, as the command may economize.

These are all guns I already own.
AR 15
44 Magnum
12 gauge
Kel Tek P3AT
22 long rifle

Of my choices:
1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six

The only one I don't already own is the Scout Squad rifle. And the reason I chose it over the M1A I already own is that it is much handier.

l2_rifles_polytech_m14_m1a_308_pre_ban_rifle_mint_45242.jpg

The M14 is a 308 caliber..........people keep talking about the 308 and this one is battle tested. I had one of these but sold it when times got tough many years ago........Kicks hard but accurate weapon at long range...........

Didn't choose it for my list though............good weapon anyway.

The original M14 from Colt was a .30-06; which was the standard round during WWII. The Mini-14 came about because the boot instructors noted that recruits would flinch, anticipating the kick from the rifle, Retooling to a .223 retained the muzzle velocity, but reduced the kick. Accuracy improved when using the .223 version.

If it so happened that some really hot militia chics should have the authority to insist i come over and become well regulated; i would ask for those Arms which are enumerated in our supreme law of the land, with which to suppress Insurrections or repel Invasions, as the command may economize.

Right. So you expect someone else to protect you and then provide you with arms when you are needed? And you will take these arms and be instantly proficient with them?

No. The militia will laugh at your request. There will be too many actual gun owners, who know how to use them, for you to have any real value with a gun. But there will, no doubt, be a need for someone to work in the kitchens.

You need to keep your red herrings in check. :p

AR 15
44 Magnum
12 gauge
Kel Tek P3AT
22 long rifle

Of my choices:
1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

The only one I don't already own is the Scout Squad rifle. And the reason I chose it over the M1A I already own is that it is much handier.

On my list, I almost put my Winchester 1894 30-30. It is a great carbine.

The M14 is a 308 caliber..........people keep talking about the 308 and this one is battle tested. I had one of these but sold it when times got tough many years ago........Kicks hard but accurate weapon at long range...........

The original M14 from Colt was a .30-06; which was the standard round during WWII. The Mini-14 came about because the boot instructors noted that recruits would flinch, anticipating the kick from the rifle, Retooling to a .223 retained the muzzle velocity, but reduced the kick. Accuracy improved when using the .223 version.

I think you mean M14 instead of Mini-14. (the Mini-14 is a Ruger rifle) I know the Garand was chambered in 30-06, but I believe the M14 has always been chambered in .308 (7.62x51NATO). The M14 came about due to the need for faster reloading and to use a shorter cartridge.

And while the Stoner rifle in .223 is plenty accurate, the M14 is just as accurate at closer ranges and far more accurate at longer ranges. The reasion the M16 replaced the M14 was not for accuracy, but to allow the troops to have a lighter weapon and carry more ammo (since the 5.56mm is considerably smaller than the 7.62x51mm).

Either you are talking about an actual military unit (which would certainly not just take you in) or you are talking about an actual militia, which will provide their own weapons.

As far as red herrings, your assumption that this thread is discussing an insurrection or rebellion is laughable.

AR 15
44 Magnum
12 gauge
Kel Tek P3AT
22 long rifle

Of my choices:
1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

On my list, I almost put my Winchester 1894 30-30. It is a great carbine.

The Winchester 94 in 30-30 is an excellent rifle. Actually, a lever action rifle would make a great home defense or SHTF rifle.

Remington 870
Winchester 30/30
Glenfield Model 60 .22 LR
Colt AR-15 7.62x39mm
Colt 1911

Nuff Said!

Either you are talking about an actual military unit (which would certainly not just take you in) or you are talking about an actual militia, which will provide their own weapons.

As far as red herrings, your assumption that this thread is discussing an insurrection or rebellion is laughable.
Only well regulated militias are necessary to the security of a free State.

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

What could I possible afford, that the Militia of the United States cannot?

I think you mean M14 instead of Mini-14. (the Mini-14 is a Ruger rifle) I know the Garand was chambered in 30-06, but I believe the M14 has always been chambered in .308 (7.62x51NATO). The M14 came about due to the need for faster reloading and to use a shorter cartridge.

And while the Stoner rifle in .223 is plenty accurate, the M14 is just as accurate at closer ranges and far more accurate at longer ranges. The reasion the M16 replaced the M14 was not for accuracy, but to allow the troops to have a lighter weapon and carry more ammo (since the 5.56mm is considerably smaller than the 7.62x51mm).

{The T25 was designed to use the T65 service cartridge, a Frankford Arsenal design based upon .30-06 cartridge case used in the M1 service rifle, }

M14 rifle - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I'm aware that the Mini is a Ruger. I have two of them. I like them better than the AR15.

Remington 870
Winchester 30/30
Glenfield Model 60 .22 LR
Colt AR-15 7.62x39mm
Colt 1911

Nuff Said!

The 30-30 is a good choice.
The .22 is another good choice.

My only real question for your list is why go with the 7.62x39mm? The 5.56 is more accurate. And the 7.62x51mm is both more accurate and a harder hitter.

But everyone has their own favs.

{The T25 was designed to use the T65 service cartridge, a Frankford Arsenal design based upon .30-06 cartridge case used in the M1 service rifle, }

M14 rifle - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I'm aware that the Mini is a Ruger. I have two of them. I like them better than the AR15.

Was the T25 ever issued as the M14? I had a Mini-14 and liked shooting it. I could just never get the accuracy I wanted from it. Now that was a number of years ago, and I am told they are more accurate now.

My only real question for your list is why go with the 7.62x39mm? The 5.56 is more accurate. And the 7.62x51mm is both more accurate and a harder hitter.

That's an easy question to answer ... Familiarity with the round and its properties.
I personally don't have a problem hitting a target at 400 meters with it ... And that is as accurate as I need it to be.
Any further away and I don't need to engage the target with an assault weapon.

The only real struggle I had in deciding ... Was the 1911.
I have a Ruger P-85 that goes with me just about everywhere ... Has never let me down ... And although an older model, it performs at the highest expectations.
I still like the "knock-down" properties of the 1911 better ... Even though I am less likely to carry it on a regular basis because of its size and lack of concealment opportunities in combination with female attire.

Was the T25 ever issued as the M14? I had a Mini-14 and liked shooting it. I could just never get the accuracy I wanted from it. Now that was a number of years ago, and I am told they are more accurate now.

Yes. By Vietnam they used the cut down version which is the .308 or 7.62 X 51 NATO, according to Wiki. I had my story wrong, it was the drop to the .308 that was driven by the flinching - according to Wiki.

That's an easy question to answer ... Familiarity with the round and its properties.
I personally don't have a problem hitting a target at 400 meters with it ... And that is as accurate as I need it to be.
Any further away and I don't need to engage the target with an assault weapon.

The only real struggle I had in deciding ... Was the 1911.
I have a Ruger P-85 that goes with me just about everywhere ... Has never let me down ... And although an older model, it performs at the highest expectations.
I still like the "knock-down" properties of the 1911 better ... Even though I am less likely to carry it on a regular basis because of its size and lack of concealment opportunities in combination with female attire.

I like my M1911 for a number of reasons. That it is easy to conceal is one of them. Yes, it is long. But it is so my slimmer than many double stack pistols. But I also have the advantage of being a tall guy, so it hides better.

The only problem I have with the 30-30 is that it's only good for a single shot. When you eject the shell with the lever, there is no chance of staying on target and you have to set the entire shot up again. This is the big advantage semi-auto has in my opinion.

The only problem I have with the 30-30 is that it's only good for a single shot. When you eject the shell with the lever, there is no chance of staying on target and you have to set the entire shot up again. This is the big advantage semi-auto has in my opinion.

That is true. But an advantage it has is that you can reload as you go. Fire 2 rounds and add 2 rounds back, without taking the gun out of readiness. I'm a fan of bigger calibers, so I will always have to reset to some degree or other.

I also like a lever gun because you can load it with specialty ammo, like shotshells.

Forum List

Back