If you could have only 5 guns...

I went with a self defense handgun, a battle rifle that doubles as a hunting rifle, a shotgun that can defend or hunt, and a pair of .22s (revolver & 10/22). I think those will cover everything too.

I'm not sure I would be able to get rid of my Ruger No.1 in .270. That is my favorite and the prettiest rifle I have ever seen.
You can only carry so much. Sorry. That's why one of my guns would be my little 22 daringer shoots 22s holds 5 and fits in the palm of my hand. I could take on 6 indians with just that gun. Provided they just had knives because if they had arrows they kill me because the guns no good at 10 paces. Lol

Let's cut it down to 3. Shotgun handgun and hunting rifle top 3. I like the Riflemans gun. So what would be the best handgun and why?

I am extremely fond of my M1911 .45 ACP. But if I could only have one handgun, it would be a single action .44 magnum. I could hunt small game with shotshells, big game with full bore .44 and use it defensively with .44 special (less recoil & quicker recovery time). Slow as hell to reload though.
I'd want that rifle that shoots a long way and holds a lot of shells. Remington? How many rounds does your rifle hold? Wouldn't a 22 handgun be enough with the rifle and shotgun? I guess not if a bear wakes you up its not.

Once you get out beyond 250 yards or so, the skill of the shooter starts to count as much as the rifle. Granted, some rifles won't be worth much at that range, but long range and high capacity may not be all you look at.

First of all, the true long range rifles tend to be heavy with long barrels. This makes them awkward for anything except long range shooting.

Second of all, the calibers are great for long range, but way over powered for anything close.
My bro and I just bought 70 acres up north michigan. I the thumb you can't shoot long range but where we bought we can. What long range deer gun should I buy? Cheap but big enough cal I can take down a deer. What's the smallest and go up. I'm going to be needing one because I hate it when I have my crossbow and a deer walks 80 feet from me.

A .243 will do what you need but as WB said shot placement becomes more important. But with a little practice you can easily hit a tennis ball at a hundred yards.
Personally I would go with the .270 for that little extra knock down power and the recoil while somewhat harsh is totally manageable.
You wont be plinking with it,you'll sight it in and only shoot when you have a target so the recoil isnt that big a deal. And trust me,you wont even feel it when you have a deer in the scope,just be careful and dont dot your eye with the scope on recoil.

I figure those choices would pretty much cover every situation you might encounter.

I'm assuming the shotgun handgun and rifle are 3. What are the other 2 you need? Is a 22 or small shotgun one of your 5? If not, besides the shotgun long rifle and handgun do you need?

One should be an automatic weapon? In case you get attacked by a group? Imagine if jerimiah johnson had an ak47.

So what are your other 2? Or what is your 5th gun you think you need?

The Ruger 10/22 would be the .22 and the 700 .270 is a deer rifle that would work just fine as a sniper rifle.
No machine guns though. They waste to much ammo.

So shotgun handgun 22 sniper and what else do you need? And what and how much are you going to use the 22 for? Small game? Because the ammos cheap? You could shoot groundhog opossum squirrel racoon beaver turkey rabbit.

One battle type rifle,a pistol so you'd always have a gun on you. The shotgun for bird and or deer. The deer rifle for hunting large game and two and four legged predators at range.
And the .22 for small game.

I went with a self defense handgun, a battle rifle that doubles as a hunting rifle, a shotgun that can defend or hunt, and a pair of .22s (revolver & 10/22). I think those will cover everything too.

I'm not sure I would be able to get rid of my Ruger No.1 in .270. That is my favorite and the prettiest rifle I have ever seen.

Personally i'd stick with one large caliber pistol.
All my hunting would be with long guns.

So shotgun handgun 22 sniper and what else do you need? And what and how much are you going to use the 22 for? Small game? Because the ammos cheap? You could shoot groundhog opossum squirrel racoon beaver turkey rabbit.

One battle type rifle,a pistol so you'd always have a gun on you. The shotgun for bird and or deer. The deer rifle for hunting large game and two and four legged predators at range.

You can only carry so much. Sorry. That's why one of my guns would be my little 22 daringer shoots 22s holds 5 and fits in the palm of my hand. I could take on 6 indians with just that gun. Provided they just had knives because if they had arrows they kill me because the guns no good at 10 paces. Lol

Let's cut it down to 3. Shotgun handgun and hunting rifle top 3. I like the Riflemans gun. So what would be the best handgun and why?

I am extremely fond of my M1911 .45 ACP. But if I could only have one handgun, it would be a single action .44 magnum. I could hunt small game with shotshells, big game with full bore .44 and use it defensively with .44 special (less recoil & quicker recovery time). Slow as hell to reload though.
I'd want that rifle that shoots a long way and holds a lot of shells. Remington? How many rounds does your rifle hold? Wouldn't a 22 handgun be enough with the rifle and shotgun? I guess not if a bear wakes you up its not.

I was thinking about the "shoots a long way and holds lots of shells". I'm not sure what you mean by "shoots a long way". In my mind, shooting a long way would be at least 400 to 500 yards and more. If you are hunting, that is a seriously long shot. Since you had asked about hunting, I would tell you not to worry about a rifle that "holds lots of shells". I have friends who pick on me because I hunt with a single shot rifle. But if you missed when the animal was standing still, what makes you think you'll hit it at a full panicked run?

Now, if by "shoots a long way" you mean 100 to 200 yards (still a good distance), there are plenty of rifles that will handle that.

I was thinking about the "shoots a long way and holds lots of shells". I'm not sure what you mean by "shoots a long way". In my mind, shooting a long way would be at least 400 to 500 yards and more. If you are hunting, that is a seriously long shot. Since you had asked about hunting, I would tell you not to worry about a rifle that "holds lots of shells". I have friends who pick on me because I hunt with a single shot rifle. But if you missed when the animal was standing still, what makes you think you'll hit it at a full panicked run?

Now, if by "shoots a long way" you mean 100 to 200 yards (still a good distance), there are plenty of rifles that will handle that.

You could get an AR in .308 and use smaller mags for hunting and you'd have a rifle also capable of holding thirty rounds for fun times at the range or if things went south.

You could get an AR in .308 and use smaller mags for hunting and you'd have a rifle also capable of holding thirty rounds for fun times at the range or if things went south.

That is why the Springfield Scout Squad rifle is on my list. As much as I love my M1A, it is a little heavier and more cumbersome than I like. So I opted for the shorter, lighter version. It has an 18" bbl, so 2" more than the SOCOM. And enough weight to make shooting it a breeze. And .308 will do anything I need a rifle to do.

Once you get out beyond 250 yards or so, the skill of the shooter starts to count as much as the rifle. Granted, some rifles won't be worth much at that range, but long range and high capacity may not be all you look at.

First of all, the true long range rifles tend to be heavy with long barrels. This makes them awkward for anything except long range shooting.

Second of all, the calibers are great for long range, but way over powered for anything close.
My bro and I just bought 70 acres up north michigan. I the thumb you can't shoot long range but where we bought we can. What long range deer gun should I buy? Cheap but big enough cal I can take down a deer. What's the smallest and go up. I'm going to be needing one because I hate it when I have my crossbow and a deer walks 80 feet from me.

I don't know the game laws up there, but I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .243. If you have a problem with recoil a 25-06 has good range and enough power to kill a deer. But it still requires good shot placement, like all will.

If you can find a good .308 or 30-06 they can usually be had without spending a fortune. A 7mm magnum or 300 win mag will reach farther and shoot flatter. I have a .270 that I can reliably hit out to 300 yards or so. I am sure it would do well at greater distances, but the gun range I use only has a 300 yard rifle range. (bear in mind, that is 3 football fields)
Lot better than 60 yards for my crossbow. I hate being out of range. 300 yards is huge!

A .243 will do what you need but as WB said shot placement becomes more important. But with a little practice you can easily hit a tennis ball at a hundred yards.
Personally I would go with the .270 for that little extra knock down power and the recoil while somewhat harsh is totally manageable.
You wont be plinking with it,you'll sight it in and only shoot when you have a target so the recoil isnt that big a deal. And trust me,you wont even feel it when you have a deer in the scope,just be careful and dont dot your eye with the scope on recoil.
I've shot deer with a muzzle loader. Lined it up and BLMMO the deer was on the ground. But all I saw was fire and smoke in front of me after I pulled the trigger. Lots of kick. Your gun more kick than that?

Tough one.

1. 10-22 - always a must
  2. Ruger Mini-14 - Zombie apocalypse insurance
  3. Glock 9mm - most common round in the world
  4. Winchester 12 gauge - got to have a shotgun
  5. Smith & Wesson .22 revolver. I can hit a gnat in flight at 75 yards with it.

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six
I would rather wait until some really hot militia chic insists i have to start coming over and start becoming more well regulated, so that i may be issued those Arms with which I may become most qualified, in Order to suppress any Insurrection by gun lovers who don't seem to want to love their republic as much as they claim to love their guns.

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six
I would rather wait until some really hot militia chic insists i have to start coming over and start becoming more well regulated, so that i may be issued those Arms with which I may become most qualified, in Order to suppress any Insurrection by gun lovers who don't seem to want to love their republic as much as they claim to love their guns.
You arent going to find any hot militia chicks with guns that'll let you get close. You think normal women before the apocalypse were tough? You gotta have your own guns. What'll it be first?

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six
You arent going to find any hot militia chicks with guns that'll let you get close. You think normal women before the apocalypse were tough? You gotta have your own guns. What'll it be first?
they are welcome to take gun lovers, first.

I've shot deer with a muzzle loader. Lined it up and BLMMO the deer was on the ground. But all I saw was fire and smoke in front of me after I pulled the trigger. Lots of kick. Your gun more kick than that?

Would have to know the caliber of the muzzle loader to be certain but the .270 shouldnt kick any worse.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

LMAO!! I love the fact that you seem to assume we are talking about starting some sort of revolution instead of just discussing what 5 guns we would select if we could only have 5.

BTW, those hot militia chicks wouldn't touch you for two reasons.

#1 - You are unarmed and therefore show you expect someone else to either protect you or arm you.
#2 - Your ridiculous claims that the 2nd amendment is meant for the states and not individuals will disgust any "militia chick", hot or not.

Depends on the caliber and powder load of the muzzle loader.

But you should look at the Thompson/Center Encore as a hunting rifle. With the interchangeable barrels you can add different calibers. The stocks are excellent for absorbing recoil. And they are seriously accurate rifles. And I think a single shot rifle is the way to hunt.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six
We love our Republic because we are able to love our guns.
Any secure government shouldn't be afraid of an armed citizenry

But you should look at the Thompson/Center Encore as a hunting rifle. With the interchangeable barrels you can add different calibers. The stocks are excellent for absorbing recoil. And they are seriously accurate rifles. And I think a single shot rifle is the way to hunt.

The only problem I have with the single shot? Deer dont always run if you miss the first shot.

The only problem I have with the single shot? Deer dont always run if you miss the first shot.

This is true. But in 40 years of hunting, I have only lost one animal, and had to track two others any distance. All of those were when I was young and crazy. I should have said I think a single shot is the way for ME to go if I am hunting. I find having only one shot makes me take that shot more seriously. Also, I can reload my rifle almost as fast as most can work a bolt action. If the deer stands still, I'll have a second shot in short order.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

BTW, if there is some sort of insurrection of revolution, and you are unarmed, it won't be a militia chick you are dealing with. It will be a military chick (at best). And to her you will simply be an unarmed civilian to be herded.

Forum List

Back