If you could have only 5 guns...

good choices

i would keep handy my 700 in 30-06 since it fits in well with my remmie 760 30-06

I figure those choices would pretty much cover every situation you might encounter.

I'm assuming the shotgun handgun and rifle are 3. What are the other 2 you need? Is a 22 or small shotgun one of your 5? If not, besides the shotgun long rifle and handgun do you need?

One should be an automatic weapon? In case you get attacked by a group? Imagine if jerimiah johnson had an ak47.

So what are your other 2? Or what is your 5th gun you think you need?

The Ruger 10/22 would be the .22 and the 700 .270 is a deer rifle that would work just fine as a sniper rifle.
No machine guns though. They waste to much ammo.

So shotgun handgun 22 sniper and what else do you need? And what and how much are you going to use the 22 for? Small game? Because the ammos cheap? You could shoot groundhog opossum squirrel racoon beaver turkey rabbit.

One battle type rifle,a pistol so you'd always have a gun on you. The shotgun for bird and or deer. The deer rifle for hunting large game and two and four legged predators at range.
And the .22 for small game.

I went with a self defense handgun, a battle rifle that doubles as a hunting rifle, a shotgun that can defend or hunt, and a pair of .22s (revolver & 10/22). I think those will cover everything too.

I'm not sure I would be able to get rid of my Ruger No.1 in .270. That is my favorite and the prettiest rifle I have ever seen.

I figure those choices would pretty much cover every situation you might encounter.

I'm assuming the shotgun handgun and rifle are 3. What are the other 2 you need? Is a 22 or small shotgun one of your 5? If not, besides the shotgun long rifle and handgun do you need?

One should be an automatic weapon? In case you get attacked by a group? Imagine if jerimiah johnson had an ak47.

The Ruger 10/22 would be the .22 and the 700 .270 is a deer rifle that would work just fine as a sniper rifle.

So shotgun handgun 22 sniper and what else do you need? And what and how much are you going to use the 22 for? Small game? Because the ammos cheap? You could shoot groundhog opossum squirrel racoon beaver turkey rabbit.

One battle type rifle,a pistol so you'd always have a gun on you. The shotgun for bird and or deer. The deer rifle for hunting large game and two and four legged predators at range.

I went with a self defense handgun, a battle rifle that doubles as a hunting rifle, a shotgun that can defend or hunt, and a pair of .22s (revolver & 10/22). I think those will cover everything too.

I'm not sure I would be able to get rid of my Ruger No.1 in .270. That is my favorite and the prettiest rifle I have ever seen.
You can only carry so much. Sorry. That's why one of my guns would be my little 22 daringer shoots 22s holds 5 and fits in the palm of my hand. I could take on 6 indians with just that gun. Provided they just had knives because if they had arrows they kill me because the guns no good at 10 paces. Lol

Let's cut it down to 3. Shotgun handgun and hunting rifle top 3. I like the Riflemans gun. So what would be the best handgun and why?

What's the most accurate long range handgun? In otherwords shoot the farthest and most accurate while aks has some power. Would the best handgun be a 22? If you already have a shotgun and hunting rifle maybe a 22 would be the best 3rd gun?

You can only carry so much. Sorry. That's why one of my guns would be my little 22 daringer shoots 22s holds 5 and fits in the palm of my hand. I could take on 6 indians with just that gun. Provided they just had knives because if they had arrows they kill me because the guns no good at 10 paces. Lol

Let's cut it down to 3. Shotgun handgun and hunting rifle top 3. I like the Riflemans gun. So what would be the best handgun and why?

I am extremely fond of my M1911 .45 ACP. But if I could only have one handgun, it would be a single action .44 magnum. I could hunt small game with shotshells, big game with full bore .44 and use it defensively with .44 special (less recoil & quicker recovery time). Slow as hell to reload though.

What's the most accurate long range handgun? In otherwords shoot the farthest and most accurate while aks has some power. Would the best handgun be a 22? If you already have a shotgun and hunting rifle maybe a 22 would be the best 3rd gun?

Depending on where you are, a shotgun makes a good hunting gun. I'll be in the wooded places in the southeast.

I am extremely fond of my M1911 .45 ACP. But if I could only have one handgun, it would be a single action .44 magnum. I could hunt small game with shotshells, big game with full bore .44 and use it defensively with .44 special (less recoil & quicker recovery time). Slow as hell to reload though.
I'd want that rifle that shoots a long way and holds a lot of shells. Remington? How many rounds does your rifle hold? Wouldn't a 22 handgun be enough with the rifle and shotgun? I guess not if a bear wakes you up its not.

Depending on where you are, a shotgun makes a good hunting gun. I'll be in the wooded places in the southeast.
Theres so much woods up north michigan but I dont think you can go live like a mountain man on state land. Maybe in the U.P? Its beautiful up there.

I'd want that rifle that shoots a long way and holds a lot of shells. Remington? How many rounds does your rifle hold? Wouldn't a 22 handgun be enough with the rifle and shotgun? I guess not if a bear wakes you up its not.

Once you get out beyond 250 yards or so, the skill of the shooter starts to count as much as the rifle. Granted, some rifles won't be worth much at that range, but long range and high capacity may not be all you look at.

First of all, the true long range rifles tend to be heavy with long barrels. This makes them awkward for anything except long range shooting.

Second of all, the calibers are great for long range, but way over powered for anything close.

In many situations a handgun will be used as a defensive gun. While a .22 will kill, it won't guarantee a quick stop like a bigger caliber. My grandfather was shot in the leg by my uncle when they were rabbit hunting in the late 1930s. When my grandfather died in 1981 the bullet was still there. Hit a man in the leg with a .45ACP, .357, or a .44 and he is down and needing medical care.

Once you get out beyond 250 yards or so, the skill of the shooter starts to count as much as the rifle. Granted, some rifles won't be worth much at that range, but long range and high capacity may not be all you look at.

First of all, the true long range rifles tend to be heavy with long barrels. This makes them awkward for anything except long range shooting.

Second of all, the calibers are great for long range, but way over powered for anything close.
My bro and I just bought 70 acres up north michigan. I the thumb you can't shoot long range but where we bought we can. What long range deer gun should I buy? Cheap but big enough cal I can take down a deer. What's the smallest and go up. I'm going to be needing one because I hate it when I have my crossbow and a deer walks 80 feet from me.

My bro and I just bought 70 acres up north michigan. I the thumb you can't shoot long range but where we bought we can. What long range deer gun should I buy? Cheap but big enough cal I can take down a deer. What's the smallest and go up. I'm going to be needing one because I hate it when I have my crossbow and a deer walks 80 feet from me.

I don't know the game laws up there, but I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .243. If you have a problem with recoil a 25-06 has good range and enough power to kill a deer. But it still requires good shot placement, like all will.

If you can find a good .308 or 30-06 they can usually be had without spending a fortune. A 7mm magnum or 300 win mag will reach farther and shoot flatter. I have a .270 that I can reliably hit out to 300 yards or so. I am sure it would do well at greater distances, but the gun range I use only has a 300 yard rifle range. (bear in mind, that is 3 football fields)

Come on , you all have great picks but what if the shit hits the fan like you all think and those are the only guns you can have. Is that what you really want? Sure I'll take one or two of them, my answer would be a muzzle loader..... Give me five of them, I can make my own powder, balls, flint, or caps, and never worry about how I'm gonna shoot them when I run out of loads.

Come on , you all have great picks but what if the shit hits the fan like you all think and those are the only guns you can have. Is that what you really want? Sure I'll take one or two of them, my answer would be a muzzle loader..... Give me five of them, I can make my own powder, balls, flint, or caps, and never worry about how I'm gonna shoot them when I run out of loads.

Make your own powder & caps?? I'm going to make my own centerfire rounds.

What's a battle rifle like a modern day army weapon that holds 20 rounds? I agree one of those would be a must. The deer rifle would be long range kills. Remember Quigley down under with tom selleck? He had a great long range gun but nothing for close combat.

The AR would be the defense rifle(30 round mag) The FNX .45 pistol is a combat weapon as well and holds 15 rounds plus one in the pipe. Both purely for protection.

If the shit hits the fan you are unlikely to run out of ammo.
Consider this...if you were to get into the shit you're either gonna die and ammo becomes a moot point,or you're going to win and their ammo becomes yours.
As long as you're not using some obscure caliber ammo shouldnt be a problem.

If we cut it down to three i'd go with the AR-15,FNX-.45 and the Ruger 10/22.
A shotgun while nice isn't absolutely necessary.
Hand guns are for defense,so large calibers and lots of ammo capacity are a must.
If you get into the shit,a pistol will always be with you and it's used to fight your way to your assault rifle.

Twenty two pistols wouldnt be your best choice.
While you can kill someone with em they dont have enough knockdown power or range to make them useful. Now a twenty two rifle is a whole different thing,extremely accurate and great for small game.

I don't know the game laws up there, but I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .243. If you have a problem with recoil a 25-06 has good range and enough power to kill a deer. But it still requires good shot placement, like all will.

If you can find a good .308 or 30-06 they can usually be had without spending a fortune. A 7mm magnum or 300 win mag will reach farther and shoot flatter. I have a .270 that I can reliably hit out to 300 yards or so. I am sure it would do well at greater distances, but the gun range I use only has a 300 yard rifle range. (bear in mind, that is 3 football fields)

I would go with the .270 as well. Good all around caliber.

It's important because I love each and every one for a reason. Not five only a couple.

My Hawken. Means everything to me. From the way she pushes on my shoulder. From the way she reminds me these are the early days. From the smell. From making me feel like I count. She's something to me.

Yeah, I am not ashamed to say I would shed a tear for a few of my other guns. You get attached. lol
That is why I can't get them all in two gun safes.

Forum List

Back