If you could have only 5 guns...

My bro and I just bought 70 acres up north michigan. I the thumb you can't shoot long range but where we bought we can. What long range deer gun should I buy? Cheap but big enough cal I can take down a deer. What's the smallest and go up. I'm going to be needing one because I hate it when I have my crossbow and a deer walks 80 feet from me.

A .243 will do what you need but as WB said shot placement becomes more important. But with a little practice you can easily hit a tennis ball at a hundred yards.
Personally I would go with the .270 for that little extra knock down power and the recoil while somewhat harsh is totally manageable.
You wont be plinking with it,you'll sight it in and only shoot when you have a target so the recoil isnt that big a deal. And trust me,you wont even feel it when you have a deer in the scope,just be careful and dont dot your eye with the scope on recoil.
I've shot deer with a muzzle loader. Lined it up and BLMMO the deer was on the ground. But all I saw was fire and smoke in front of me after I pulled the trigger. Lots of kick. Your gun more kick than that?

Depends on the caliber and powder load of the muzzle loader.

But you should look at the Thompson/Center Encore as a hunting rifle. With the interchangeable barrels you can add different calibers. The stocks are excellent for absorbing recoil. And they are seriously accurate rifles. And I think a single shot rifle is the way to hunt.

The only problem I have with the single shot? Deer dont always run if you miss the first shot.

This is true. But in 40 years of hunting, I have only lost one animal, and had to track two others any distance. All of those were when I was young and crazy. I should have said I think a single shot is the way for ME to go if I am hunting. I find having only one shot makes me take that shot more seriously. Also, I can reload my rifle almost as fast as most can work a bolt action. If the deer stands still, I'll have a second shot in short order.

True. I cant tell you the last time I missed.
But I also wont take a shot that I'm not sure i'll hit. I hate tracking em down because they invariably end up crossing water and holing up in thickest brush within twenty miles.

Not to sound paranoid but this thread probably put us all on someone's watch list
:eusa_shhh:
So, I don't keep and bear Arms (for anyone but myself while on private property) simply because I should not have to be as well regulated as those who do. :p We have a Ninth Amendment.

I have no fear of a list either. I regulate myself quite well, thank you.

A .243 will do what you need but as WB said shot placement becomes more important. But with a little practice you can easily hit a tennis ball at a hundred yards.
Personally I would go with the .270 for that little extra knock down power and the recoil while somewhat harsh is totally manageable.
You wont be plinking with it,you'll sight it in and only shoot when you have a target so the recoil isnt that big a deal. And trust me,you wont even feel it when you have a deer in the scope,just be careful and dont dot your eye with the scope on recoil.
I've shot deer with a muzzle loader. Lined it up and BLMMO the deer was on the ground. But all I saw was fire and smoke in front of me after I pulled the trigger. Lots of kick. Your gun more kick than that?

But you should look at the Thompson/Center Encore as a hunting rifle. With the interchangeable barrels you can add different calibers. The stocks are excellent for absorbing recoil. And they are seriously accurate rifles. And I think a single shot rifle is the way to hunt.

The only problem I have with the single shot? Deer dont always run if you miss the first shot.

This is true. But in 40 years of hunting, I have only lost one animal, and had to track two others any distance. All of those were when I was young and crazy. I should have said I think a single shot is the way for ME to go if I am hunting. I find having only one shot makes me take that shot more seriously. Also, I can reload my rifle almost as fast as most can work a bolt action. If the deer stands still, I'll have a second shot in short order.

True. I cant tell you the last time I missed.
But I also wont take a shot that I'm not sure i'll hit. I hate tracking em down because they invariably end up crossing water and holing up in thickest brush within twenty miles.

Most hunters feel the same way.

Not to sound paranoid but this thread probably put us all on someone's watch list
So, I don't keep and bear Arms (for anyone but myself while on private property) simply because I should not have to be as well regulated as those who do. :p We have a Ninth Amendment.

I have no problem loving my republic and becoming well regulated, should it be necessary to the security of a free State.

I'd want that rifle that shoots a long way and holds a lot of shells. Remington? How many rounds does your rifle hold? Wouldn't a 22 handgun be enough with the rifle and shotgun? I guess not if a bear wakes you up its not.

Once you get out beyond 250 yards or so, the skill of the shooter starts to count as much as the rifle. Granted, some rifles won't be worth much at that range, but long range and high capacity may not be all you look at.

First of all, the true long range rifles tend to be heavy with long barrels. This makes them awkward for anything except long range shooting.

Second of all, the calibers are great for long range, but way over powered for anything close.
My bro and I just bought 70 acres up north michigan. I the thumb you can't shoot long range but where we bought we can. What long range deer gun should I buy? Cheap but big enough cal I can take down a deer. What's the smallest and go up. I'm going to be needing one because I hate it when I have my crossbow and a deer walks 80 feet from me.

On the property we just purchased there is a huge deer blind on top of 4 telephone poles. I look forward to being able to take 100-300 yard shot. The most I'll do with crossbow is 60.

And the thumb of Michigan isnt up north enough to use anything but a shotgun or muzzle. Now we have a place by Boyne mountain MI. I am looking more forward to doing deer property management. Planting food crops cutting trails putting up tree stands. I have some carpenter pals. I'm going to use their home depot discount and build a really good ground blind. I mean pimp out a little cabin air tight plastic laid over roof so doesnt leak. 4 open windows when I'm in it but covered with wood when I'm not in it. My brother won't let me put a leather recliner in it. Says it smells like human but will it after summer and fall? Won't it blend in with nature or will deer always smell the chair? Were going to plant trees and winter wheat. Really get the deer coming in. Theres a little river in the back. Guy says he caught trout out of it. Were going to cut enough trees so you can swing a pole. 1700 feet of water. I have a little Coleman flatbottom troll boat that will be perfect. Were getting 2 4x4 quads. One with a wench plow everything on it. Maybe I'll live here when I retire. No electricity or plumbing just a sweet ground fort. Did you see Alone in the Wilderness? I'd love to do that but bring a woman.

I would rather wait until some really hot militia chic insists i have to start coming over and start becoming more well regulated, so that i may be issued those Arms with which I may become most qualified, in Order to suppress any Insurrection by gun lovers who don't seem to want to love their republic as much as they claim to love their guns.

No hot chick will ever pay attention to your skinny, metrosexual ass.

I have no problem loving my republic and becoming well regulated, should it be necessary to the security of a free State.

And I have no problem maintaining my firearms in case I am needed as a member of a volunteer militia, to defend the US against attack.

I regulate my firearms in the highest standards.

Once you get out beyond 250 yards or so, the skill of the shooter starts to count as much as the rifle. Granted, some rifles won't be worth much at that range, but long range and high capacity may not be all you look at.

First of all, the true long range rifles tend to be heavy with long barrels. This makes them awkward for anything except long range shooting.

Second of all, the calibers are great for long range, but way over powered for anything close.

On the property we just purchased there is a huge deer blind on top of 4 telephone poles. I look forward to being able to take 100-300 yard shot. The most I'll do with crossbow is 60.

And the thumb of Michigan isnt up north enough to use anything but a shotgun or muzzle. Now we have a place by Boyne mountain MI. I am looking more forward to doing deer property management. Planting food crops cutting trails putting up tree stands. I have some carpenter pals. I'm going to use their home depot discount and build a really good ground blind. I mean pimp out a little cabin air tight plastic laid over roof so doesnt leak. 4 open windows when I'm in it but covered with wood when I'm not in it. My brother won't let me put a leather recliner in it. Says it smells like human but will it after summer and fall? Won't it blend in with nature or will deer always smell the chair? Were going to plant trees and winter wheat. Really get the deer coming in. Theres a little river in the back. Guy says he caught trout out of it. Were going to cut enough trees so you can swing a pole. 1700 feet of water. I have a little Coleman flatbottom troll boat that will be perfect. Were getting 2 4x4 quads. One with a wench plow everything on it. Maybe I'll live here when I retire. No electricity or plumbing just a sweet ground fort. Did you see Alone in the Wilderness? I'd love to do that but bring a woman.

I am guessing you mean that the 4x4 quad has a "winch"? Otherwise I'd love to know where you can buy one that comes with a woman! :biggrin:

No shit. Dont I know it! When I first went hunting this guy gave me a 5 shot shotgun no scope and I couldn't even practice. In the morning I shot 2 times as the doe bounded into the woods. How did I miss? Then I went back out at night and just before dark a doe came wondering out. She was too far but I wanted to shoot so I aimed up a little and POW I missed. But all she did was look around so I shot again and missed again but she just looked around and didn't run. The guy gave me one more emergency shell in my pocket to put a deer down if I found it suffering. I loaded the shotgun and aimed for the heart. I hif it right in the brain. Lol

Then her baby walked up to her to see what was wrong. Then walked towards me. I almost cried. Then I flashed my light at it and it ran off. I hope that Bambi found another herd to hang with. It was still nursing. Mom had milk. Best tasting deer and that head shot left all the meat in tact.

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six
I would rather wait until some really hot militia chic insists i have to start coming over and start becoming more well regulated, so that i may be issued those Arms with which I may become most qualified, in Order to suppress any Insurrection by gun lovers who don't seem to want to love their republic as much as they claim to love their guns.

BTW, if there is some sort of insurrection of revolution, and you are unarmed, it won't be a militia chick you are dealing with. It will be a military chick (at best). And to her you will simply be an unarmed civilian to be herded.
Then dont be an enemy of the state. Teabaggers are anarchists.

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six

BTW, if there is some sort of insurrection of revolution, and you are unarmed, it won't be a militia chick you are dealing with. It will be a military chick (at best). And to her you will simply be an unarmed civilian to be herded.
Then dont be an enemy of the state. Teabaggers are anarchists.

I am certainly not a teabagger.

No hot chick will ever pay attention to your skinny, metrosexual ass.
cool; i am also trying to convince the Judicature, that we need better aqueducts and better roads and they should establish a culture of militia service through more legitimate, judicial activism--and, that they should start with gun lovers who may present themselves for any breaches of the domestic Tranquility and security of our free States.

l2_rifles_polytech_m14_m1a_308_pre_ban_rifle_mint_45242.jpg

The M14 is a 308 caliber..........people keep talking about the 308 and this one is battle tested. I had one of these but sold it when times got tough many years ago........Kicks hard but accurate weapon at long range...........

Didn't choose it for my list though............good weapon anyway.

The M14 is a 308 caliber..........people keep talking about the 308 and this one is battle tested. I had one of these but sold it when times got tough many years ago........Kicks hard but accurate weapon at long range...........

I have a Springfield M1A and it is an excellent rifle. That is why the Springfield Scout Squad is on my list (same rifle except it has an 18" barrel and a forward rail).

I have a Springfield M1A and it is an excellent rifle. That is why the Springfield Scout Squad is on my list (same rifle except it has an 18" barrel and a forward rail).
I put the M1 on my list as well............I agree

This picture was made in 1964 ... Was shooting on the post rifle team at Ft.Knox,KY... Was a good rifle back then ... am not so crazy about the civilian version .....
OLD Pictures (21).jpg
y have now.....

ahh hell i wanted to go to a gun show in fletcher tomorrow but nooooooooooooooooo....hubby has freaked out on me....yet again...i swear if he keeps up this anti gun shit i am gonna kill him..with a fucking club...just to make him happy

Forum List

Back