Ignore the dire warnings about our lives because it’s just hysteria

Al #79
It is injudicious to render the real the enemy of the ideal.

Smug Prius drivers may imagine themselves heroically spearheading the green movement, by driving an electric car.

BUT!!

Charging a Prius battery from a coal-fired power plant pollutes more than a similar gasoline-powered car.

In operations where precise process control is critical such as microelectronic chip manufacturing, electric / electronic furnaces make sense.

But a BTU of electric heat isn't cost-competitive today.

And if we divert 100% of a State's wind-generated electric power to one steel mill, then that State's population will have to obtain its commercial electric supply from other sources.

Running one efficient natural gas fired steel mill may make more environmental sense than your proposal.

our biggest hurtle will be getting past the other uses of oil

most people do not understand how much oil is used

to make our every day lives easier
There will always be some use for oil. But as far as transportation goes, its outdated.

it certainly is not outdated yet

most of the world highly depends on it
Most of the world still poops in holes in the ground too. That doesn't mean doing so isn't outdated.

the money to fight imaginary man made global warming

could be better spent ridding the number of poop holes

and make the world a more sanitary place
Global warming has nothing to do with the fact that oil is outdated as a mode of transportation. It's peak was the internal combustion engine. And we've had that 150+ years now.
Electric cars were not?

When it started electric cars were more popular then gas ones.

"When it started electric cars were more popular then gas ones." b5
a) I did not know that.
b) I have no reason to doubt the validity of your assertion.
c) That may not have been for reason of intrinsic engineering superiority. Instead it might have been because:
- starting a gasoline powered automobile engine back then was difficult and dangerous
- electric is quiet
- "range anxiety" wasn't an issue back then, because Adolf Hitler hadn't inspired our InterState Highway network yet. So our traffic fit the patterns of horses. Lead / acid is fine for that.

It's a new millennium.
It's unexceptional to hop in an automobile and drive 500 miles in a day.

Current (no pun intended!) electric battery technology simply doesn't have the energy density of a gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel.

The technology is improving, but at glacial pace.

If there are electric-powered airliners in my lifetime, I'll eat my hat.

There will always be some use for oil. But as far as transportation goes, its outdated.

it certainly is not outdated yet

most of the world highly depends on it
Most of the world still poops in holes in the ground too. That doesn't mean doing so isn't outdated.

the money to fight imaginary man made global warming

could be better spent ridding the number of poop holes

and make the world a more sanitary place
Global warming has nothing to do with the fact that oil is outdated as a mode of transportation. It's peak was the internal combustion engine. And we've had that 150+ years now.
Electric cars were not?

When it started electric cars were more popular then gas ones.

true

gas and diesel made it more convenient

a) I did not know that.
c) That may not have been for reason of intrinsic engineering superiority. Instead it might have been because:
- starting a gasoline powered automobile engine back then was difficult and dangerous
- electric is quiet
- "range anxiety" wasn't an issue back then, because Adolf Hitler hadn't inspired our InterState Highway network yet. So our traffic fit the patterns of horses. Lead / acid is fine for that.

It's a new millennium.

Current (no pun intended!) electric battery technology simply doesn't have the energy density of a gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel.

yup

when they can make an electric car that can run 400 miles on one fill

and takes 5 minutes or less to fill for the next 400 miles

i will be in line waiting for one

a) I did not know that.
- electric is quiet

It's a new millennium.

yup

Make sure you put baseball cards in your electric car spokes, so the deaf can hear you :)

a) I did not know that.
- electric is quiet

It's a new millennium.

yup

Make sure you put baseball cards in your electric car spokes, so the deaf can hear you :)

--LOL

The energy corporations and their 'Conservative' lapdogs continue to fight the very idea of solar power no matter how inexpensive. Same for wind. Just look at the posts concerning the Tesla car. A leading edge car, technologically and in comfort, built right here in America by American workers, yet all they can do is tell lies about it.

The problem is that the energy corporations have billions of dollars invested in fossil fuel infrastructure that could well be expensive scrap if the solar, wind, and geothermal all start producing electricity at far less cost than natural gas and coal. Add in the reactions of the large utilities to the fact that the cheap solar will allow many homeowners to be independent of the grid, and now you have a very large group of corporations battling for their existance. Reduce oil to an industrial feedstock, and the very high priced oil like the tar sands become a liability, because the people of Canada are not going to let the large corporations off the hook, and foot the cleanup bill for the awful mess that kind of mining leaves.

Provided we are not already close to a tipping point, switching as fast as possible to renewables, will be a plus for all the average citizens. Cleaner air, cleaner water, and termination of the rise of the manmade GHGs in the atmosphere will be a plus for us all.
ROFLMNAO!

Adorable...

a) I did not know that.
- electric is quiet

It's a new millennium.

Nice job. You got it in one post. People didn't go that far, gas engines were loud, and dangerous to start.

If you really compare what we know about electric cars back then, they are just about the equivalent of a golf cart today. You don't see golf carts taking over the road ways do you?

Yet that's the basic argument the left makes when referring to late 1800s electric buggies.

Forum List

Back