Illiterate Rachel Jeantel given full college scholarship!!

Archived-Articles: Why Shakir Can't Read
I was talking to a friend the other day who teaches at an elementary school and has a student whom I shall name Shakir. Shakir is ten, and he's barely literate

A large part of the problem is that Shakir refuses to do his bit to educate himself. Given classwork in school, Shakir engages in a series of acts of avoidance. He will disrupt, pick fights with his classmates, curse, destroy objects in his environment, sleep, declare that he will do nothing, or take the entire day simply to write his name. No amount of cajoling, promises, or behavioral modification methods can change Shakir's mind. For him to work for a little bit, there must be some immediate object or event that he finds desirable to attain or participate in. Even then, when the gain is weighed against the effort required to work, Shakir may well determine that the work is not worth doing to obtain the prospective reward.

Shakir's family situation is a significant part of his problem. He is one of four children to a twenty-something mother who has three other children by three different men, and she might well be pregnant again by her current boyfriend. Shakir's mother is unemployed and on welfare.

On welfare and a recipient of a Section Eight housing grant, Shakir's family experiences a regular housing cycle from apartment in a tough neighborhood to government-sponsored motel/hotel and back before the cycle repeats all over again. What determines the move from apartment in a tough neighborhood to a motel/hotel is his mother. Given an apartment found by the proper authorities, Shakir's mother will not pay rent, even though she receives money to do so.

education is not a priority. He has no stable home with books, magazines, or trips to the library. His mother is either a high school dropout or limped her way to graduation with a poor academic record herself. She does not check his book-bag, makes no effort to ensure that he does his homework, nor does she provide any assistance with his reading.

What she will do, when school authorities call her to complain about her son's behavior, is come to the school ready to curse and fight his teachers

Community plays an important role in the behavior and priorities of individuals. For instance, if a child belongs to a community in which education is prized, then he will have an external force compelling him to achieve in some way because he does not wish to be out of step with his peers. Regrettably, in low income communities like Shakir's, the external force compels kids away from educational achievement, in spite of the efforts of some to turn things around. For many of Shakir's peers, educational achievement is a mark of whiteness; thus, the high achieving black kid has to deal with issues of authenticity.

How many of the reasons Shakir can't read can be applied to Rachel Jeantel to explain away why she can't read. She is 19 years old, still in high school. She hopes to graduate this year. She has a 3.0 but whether it is earned or the result of social promotion we don't know.

I feel sorry for her.

What's racist about pointing out that a lot of blacks prefer a "ghetto/thug" like culture?

Truthfully, I believe education is good and I hope she learns something. Dropping that culture would be a good first step.

Does thinking that minorities don't care about their children make it easier for you to dehumanize them?

Just asking.
Explain where anyone 'dehumanized' black kids...
Looks as though you have nothing further to add, so you posted a personal attack.
Typical.

Actually, I was being generous. I could have said racist, which would have described his post pretty well.

I don't do generalizations. You do.
Here are examples of how black and Latino students bully black and Latino students because they perform well in school.
Study Shows Bullying?s Negative Effect On Smart Black Students | Breaking News for Black America
Bullying Has Greater Effect on Black, Latino Students | News | BET
http://www.africanamericancommunication.com/PDF/ActingBlackResearch.pdf
Try this.,,,Instead of going for the low hanging fruit of labeling others as racist, engage brain before typing.
You lose....Again.

Explain where anyone 'dehumanized' black kids...
Looks as though you have nothing further to add, so you posted a personal attack.
Typical.

Actually, I was being generous. I could have said racist, which would have described his post pretty well.

Here are examples of how black and Latino students bully black and Latino students because they perform well in school.

Try this.,,,Instead of going for the low hanging fruit of labeling others as racist, engage brain before typing.
You lose....Again.

Oooh. Bullying.

Excuse me, every kid has had to deal with bullying.

Was that really the best you could come up with, dumbass?

Point was this guy was doing the old 'Well, they don't love their children the way we do", something that has been used by racists to dehumanize their targets for centuries.

Not everyone is cut out for college. I don't see her having the wherewithal to work hard. I am not sure she has worked hard so far.

You lose....Again.

Oooh. Bullying.

Point was this guy was doing the old 'Well, they don't love their children the way we do", something that has been used by racists to dehumanize their targets for centuries.
I don't care what the OP's point was.
The fact is the kind of nonsense that high performing black and Latino students have to deal with.
Those are the facts. They are not in dispute.
So you can take your typical fallback position of spewing insults. Doesn't matter.
You're through.

You lose....Again.

Oooh. Bullying.

Oh. Forgot to mention...All Caucasians are racist. Got that?

[
I don't care what the OP's point was.
The fact is the kind of nonsense that high performing black and Latino students have to deal with.
Those are the facts. They are not in dispute.
So you can take your typical fallback position of spewing insults. Doesn't matter.
You're through.

High performing white kids have to deal with that, too, guy. Where the fuck have you been?

They always pick on the smart kids. And then the smart kids grow up, and find themselves working for the same kinds of people because they became the managers through their fratboy connections.

They should put her in the movies....all she'd have to do is, act naturally. She might win an Ocsar.. you can't never tell.

How many of the reasons Shakir can't read can be applied to Rachel Jeantel to explain away why she can't read. She is 19 years old, still in high school. She hopes to graduate this year. She has a 3.0 but whether it is earned or the result of social promotion we don't know.

Yes we do know. I'ts social promotion aka affirmative action grading. All schools are told to grade blacks by a lower standard.

Truthfully, I believe education is good and I hope she learns something. Dropping that culture would be a good first step.

That's a common mistake - thinking all education is good. Only education in technical fields like engineering and math and physics and computer science help a nation. If rachel goes to college she will major in useless easy mush like sociology or ethnic studies. All blacks do that because that's all they can do. Very few blacks can master even third grade arithmetic.

Forum List

Back