in a sociolgy class last year, I said.

taxes aren't taken at the point of a gun. you're an idiot.

What's that on his hip?:eusa_whistle:

090407_IRS_raid.jpg

But, but... He's not POINTING it at anyone! Duh.

"I don't owe you ANYTHING other than to not interfere with you". and "taxes are taken at the point of a gun". All the kids were OUTRAGED, but they couldn't come up with any valid opposition to my points. :) Cause there AINT any.

Well then son, you must go to class with imbeciles.

"I don't owe you ANYTHING other than to not interfere with you". and "taxes are taken at the point of a gun". All the kids were OUTRAGED, but they couldn't come up with any valid opposition to my points. :) Cause there AINT any.

You live in a capitalistic society where you can become wealthy if you want to. You should pay taxes and stop whining.

Taxes are voluntary. Pretty much everything is. You may not like the consequences of your actions but not paying taxes if definitely voluntary.

That's a truly idiotic conception of 'voluntary', essentially rendering the word meaningless.

Taxes are voluntary. Pretty much everything is. You may not like the consequences of your actions but not paying taxes if definitely voluntary.

That's a truly idiotic conception of 'voluntary', essentially rendering the word meaningless.

The dictionary may help you correct the error in your thinking.

voluntary
adjective
done, given, or acting of one's own free will.

Even before income taxes, people paid for the goods at a price that allowed to seller and/or the manufacturer to pay the taxes on the product being sold...

taxes aren't taken at the point of a gun. you're an idiot.
Taxes are not volunteered. They are taken. "[A]t the point of a gun" is hyperbole; a figure of speech.

Comprende?

taxes are volunteered. if you don't like them, you are free to move elsewhere where they don't require them. i hear somalia is pretty nice.

It is not "voluntary" to pay our taxes.

Any claim that it is voluntary misses the obvious point that it is illegal not to pay them.

And when we say "illegal" that means that the government which TAKES the money will indeed threaten you with arrest (accompanied by men and women carrying guns) and imprisonment for the violation of the tax laws.

It is well past time to REPEAL the 16th Amendment.

voluntary
adjective

It might help you to comprehend those words. The payment of taxes is far from an action of our own free will. It is illegal not to pay. This entails government coercion.

voluntary
adjective

It might help you to comprehend those words. The payment of taxes is far from an action of our own free will. It is illegal not to pay. This entails government coercion.

I disagree. Just because its illegal has nothing to do with it being voluntary or not. People voluntarily commit crimes all the time.

voluntary
adjective

You'd do well to look up coercion. Doing something under a threat of punishment isn't 'voluntary'. By your specious 'reasoning', compliance with all laws, or for that matter, being mugged, are all 'voluntary'.

Let's break it down to a simply hypothetical. If I point a gun at you and threaten to shoot you if you don't give me your money, and you do as I've 'requested', is that a voluntary act on your part?

voluntary
adjective

You'd do well to look up coercion. Doing something under a threat of punishment isn't 'voluntary'. By your specious 'reasoning', compliance with all laws, or for that matter, being mugged, are all 'voluntary'.

Let's break it down to a simply hypothetical. If I point a gun at you and threaten to shoot you if you don't give me your money, and you do as I've 'requested', is that a voluntary act on your part?

Doing something under the threat of punishment is voluntary. Basically you voluntarily picked the path of least resistance. If someone told me to kiss their feet with a gun to my head I dont have to kiss their feet. I can take the option of dying to use an extreme example.

Doing something under the threat of punishment is voluntary. Basically you voluntarily picked the path of least resistance. If someone told me to kiss their feet with a gun to my head I dont have to kiss their feet. I can take the option of dying to use an extreme example.

Heh.. ok. Well, you're just playing silly word games then, and I'd suggest you masturbate in private. And be sure to clean up after yourself.

^ In your lolberal universe where words have no fixed (or logical) meaning, maybe.

But in the universe inhabited by actual people and premised on logic, nothing compelled is voluntary.

By the way, noting that the payment of taxes is involuntary is not the same thing as opposition to all taxation. But let's call it what it is and stop pretending (as you liberals love to do) that it is something other than what it is.

It is an obligation that is enforced by law. Thus, it is not "voluntary."

Heh.. ok. Well, you're just playing silly word games then, and I'd suggest you masturbate in private. And be sure to clean up after yourself.

Does that mean you are conceding that everything you do is voluntary unless someone is able to physically force you to do it?

^ In your lolberal universe where words have no fixed (or logical) meaning, maybe.

But in the universe inhabited by actual people and premised on logic, nothing compelled is voluntary.

By the way, noting that the payment of taxes is involuntary is not the same thing as opposition to all taxation. But let's call it what it is and stop pretending (as you liberals love to do) that it is something other than what it is.

It is an obligation that is enforced by law. Thus, it is not "voluntary."

Your post only makes sense if I had not looked up and supplied the definition of the word voluntary. Your refusal to except the meaning as exercise of free will only tells me you commonly allow people to take your free will from you. No one can make you do anything unless they physically force you or you give away your free will. Understanding this will make you take responsibility for your actions and not blame anyone else for the decisions you make.

Forum List

Back