In a Win for Free Speech, Supreme Court Says California Can’t Force Pro-Life Centers to Promote Abor

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Holy crap! Only in California do you need the Supreme Court to uphold freedom of speech. Can you imagine if Pro-Life centers tried to sue PP to force them to tell people about their services to promote motherhood? All hell would break loose. The left is trying to force everyone into embracing their ideology, and freedom of speech be damned. Everyone knows that when it comes to any medical care, you can always get a second opinion. If people want an abortion, they know PP is the place that specializes in those. If they go to a Pro-Life clinic, they likely do so because they want the pregnancy to go as well as possible. Why should the clinic even bring up abortion? Isn't that up to the woman? As if anyone isn't fully aware of that option. PP doesn't seem to encourage women to allow their pregnancies to go full term. No money in that for them. And they don't offer much in the way of health services. They either push abortions or refer women to other clinics for healthcare. They don't recommend Pro-Life clinics or go out of their way to tell women to consider having the babies. They don't even focus on the potential complications of abortion. They don't even want to abide by the same rules as other medical clinics. It's not a place focused on health. But, they are mad because other clinics don't refer pregnant women to them.

In a Win for Free Speech, Supreme Court Says California Can’t Force Pro-Life Centers to Promote Abortion

I can’t believe the state of California actually believed they could win.

Just a bizzare case and glad free speech won out.

Holy crap! Only in California do you need the Supreme Court to uphold freedom of speech. Can you imagine if Pro-Life centers tried to sue PP to force them to tell people about their services to promote motherhood? All hell would break loose. The left is trying to force everyone into embracing their ideology, and freedom of speech be damned. Everyone knows that when it comes to any medical care, you can always get a second opinion. If people want an abortion, they know PP is the place that specializes in those. If they go to a Pro-Life clinic, they likely do so because they want the pregnancy to go as well as possible. Why should the clinic even bring up abortion? Isn't that up to the woman? As if anyone isn't fully aware of that option. PP doesn't seem to encourage women to allow their pregnancies to go full term. No money in that for them. And they don't offer much in the way of health services. They either push abortions or refer women to other clinics for healthcare. They don't recommend Pro-Life clinics or go out of their way to tell women to consider having the babies. They don't even focus on the potential complications of abortion. They don't even want to abide by the same rules as other medical clinics. It's not a place focused on health. But, they are mad because other clinics don't refer pregnant women to them.

In a Win for Free Speech, Supreme Court Says California Can’t Force Pro-Life Centers to Promote Abortion

That article didn't report what the vote was.

I have to say I was surprised the vote was so close. Even liberals support free speech. And as those clinics weren't even providing abortions?

Wow, just wow, I can't believe it was 5-4.

NIFLA v. Becerra: A Victory for the Pro-Life Movement - The Atlantic

I know some are saying it was a victory for Pro-Choice, but it wasn't. It's about freedom. Period. No individual or group should be forced to abide by the opinions of others. It would have been just as wrong for others to force PP to spend more time talking to women about keeping their babies.

What sucks is that Planned Parenthood gets millions in tax payer money on top of their millions in profit and they contribute heavily to campaigns for liberals. It's nothing but a way to funnel our money to Dem campaigns and it's an outrage.

I have to say I was surprised the vote was so close. Even liberals support free speech. And as those clinics weren't even providing abortions?

I have to agree, this should have been one of the rare 9-0 cases. I might have to read the dissent just to see what sort of fucked up logic they used.

I have to agree, this should have been one of the rare 9-0 cases. I might have to read the dissent just to see what sort of fucked up logic they used.

Sadly, not all judges go by the book. The liberal ones believe that they have the right to legislate from the bench.

This poster was perfectly neutral in its wording, implying no particular stand on the issue. Now SCOTUS must stop state governments from forcing physicians to say certain things to their patients, or forcing people to go to these "pregnancy centers" personally in order to have an abortion. This is also forced speech. There also is the problem of state governments distributing false "information" to pregnant patients; information that has been discredited by national medical professional organizations. There is an effort in several states to force pro-choice people to speak in violation of their beliefs and opinions. They are entitled to the same protection. If one cannot be forced to post neutral information, one should not be forced to express an opinion that is designed to be viewpoint specific.

It is truly amazing and disturbing that the decision was 5-4. This should have been 9-0, regardless of how any of them feels about legalized abortion. Why didn't California Dems require abortion clinics to post notices that there were centers where they could go that would give them alternatives to killing their babies and that would not require them to keep their babies?

It is truly amazing and disturbing that the decision was 5-4. This should have been 9-0, regardless of how any of them feels about legalized abortion. Why didn't California Dems require abortion clinics to post notices that there were centers where they could go that would give them alternatives to killing their babies and that would not require them to keep their babies?

They are forcing their views and trying to stop others from expressing opposing views. Simple as that.

Forum List

Back