"In September when the leaves, come falling down...Follow me down, follow me down To the space before the twilight and the dawn"

Gregg and Duane were born 13 months apart, like me and my younger brother. I've always wondered about their closeness and sibling rivalries if any that stem from being close in age and...

The father of the brothers reportedly: "On December 26, 1949, Willis Allman offered a ride home to a hitchhiker, who shot and killed him in Norfolk, Virginia." Hitchhikers were not always considered cool hippies or beatniks

Gregg Allman was 21 years old when the song was first recorded. Its writing dates back to late March 1969, when The Allman Brothers Band was first formed.[11] Gregg had failed to make a name for himself as a musician during a late-1960s stint in Los Angeles,[12] and was on the verge of quitting music altogether when his brother Duane Allman called and said his new band needed a vocalist. Gregg showed the band 22 songs he had written, but only "Dreams" and "It's Not My Cross to Bear" were deemed usable.[13] Gregg, the group's only songwriter at the time, was commissioned to create additional songs that would fit into the context of the new band, and in the next five days he wrote several, including "Whipping Post"

"Not My Cross To Bear" is still on my list after all these years. Great tune.

Gregg Allman

Duane Allman

Whipping Post

Last edited:
Speaking of Crosses to Bear. And this plays into "Time, flowing like a river..." - Alan Parsons Project

Having lost so much over an extended period of time, life could be seen as one nightmare and tragedy after another. But...

Blues have been a cathartic experience.

It's Not My Cross To Bear​

I have not come, yeah
To testify
About our bad, bad misfortune
And I ain't here a wond'rin' why
But I'll live on and I'll be strong
'Cause it just ain't my cross to bear

In the desert alone...witnessing another human being's self-destruction.

Pink Floyd - A new machine pt. 1 & pt. 2

I have always been here I have always looked out from behind these eyes
It feels like more than a lifetime
Feels like more than a lifetime

Sometimes I get tired of the waiting
Sometimes I get tired of being in here
Is this the way that it's always been?
Could it ever have been different?

Do you ever get tired of the waiting?
Do you ever get tired of being in there?
Don't worry, nobody lives forever
Nobody lives forever

I will always be here
I will always look out from behind these eyes
It's only a lifetime
It's only a lifetime
It's only a lifetime

When I first moved to Long beach, CA in 2008...I was playing my tunes. One day (not sure if/how/why it escaped my attentions at the time). One day I realized my favorite live Leon Russell album was recorded in -- Long Beach.

"Leon Russell recorded the live album "Leon Live" on August 28, 1972, at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California. It was Russell's first live album, and it became his third U.S. gold album. Who remembers this album?"

I met a woman online and she was from Oklahoma, but living in Long Beach, managing properties. We bonded. We shared a love of Leon and other things.

Forum List

Back