In the most anticipated match since Fischer vs Spassky in '72, Magnus Carlsen defeats American Hans Niemann in speed chess

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
In a sport/game that doesn't feature much drama, the loud and arrogant Niemann lost to Carlsen. Niemann is in some ways in the mold of Fischer with his antics, direct and colorful opinions. There have even been allegations that he has cheated and Carlsen refused to play some OTB games by not showing up in protest.

They met for the first time since 2022 and although Niemann held his own near the end of the match, it was over fairly early so it's difficult to know if Carlsen just relaxed, played unorthodox in the last few games (and was punished in them) to keep his opening repertoire in the bag or if he lost fair and square.

All of the drama is helping chess bring in viewers and participants I suppose.

Speed chess

‘Nuff said.

If it were classical, Niemann probably loses by more.

In the 5+1 category in this tournament he lost resoundingly 7-2

In the 3+1 and 1+1 he tied both categories. Part of this at the end was some technical problems and Magnus was so far ahead it didn't matter. The longer the time, the more accurate and dominant a player has to be to win.

If it were classical, Niemann probably loses by more.

In the 5+1 category in this tournament he lost resoundingly 7-2

In the 3+1 and 1+1 he tied both categories. Part of this at the end was some technical problems and Magnus was so far ahead it didn't matter. The longer the time, the more accurate and dominant a player has to be to win.
I enjoy chess. I’m not all that great at it. More of a casual player.

Forum List

Back