In U.S., 69% Remain Unaffected by Health Law to Date

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
SNIP:

More say they have been hurt than helped by the law

by Jeffrey M. Jones

PRINCETON, NJ -- As the Obama administration rolls out some of the more significant provisions of the 2010 healthcare law, the vast majority of Americans, 69%, say the law, so far, has not had an effect on them and their family, similar to what Gallup measured more than a year ago. More Americans say the law has hurt (19%) rather than helped (9%) their family, a slightly larger gap than was found last year.

Effect of Healthcare Law on You and Your Family So Far, February 2012 vs. November 2013

Two major provisions of the healthcare law went into effect in 2010. One allows adult children to stay on their parents' policies until age 26. The other makes it illegal for insurance companies to deny coverage to individuals with pre-existing conditions. Next year, Americans will be required to have insurance that meets minimum coverage requirements or pay a fine. As insurers prepare for that change, they have sent letters to millions of Americans in recent weeks, informing them that their insurance plans are being canceled.

In the Nov. 23-24 Gallup poll, at least six in 10 Americans in most major subgroups say the healthcare law, formally known as the Affordable Care Act, has had no effect on their own situation. That includes 70% of those currently without health insurance, one group the law is specifically designed to help, although the requirement that most Americans get insurance doesn't take effect until next year. Gallup's tracking has found that a small percentage of the uninsured, 3%, have already obtained insurance for next year.

Furthermore, in nearly all subgroups, those who say the law has affected them to this point are more likely to say that it has hurt rather than helped their family. A few groups, including Democrats and liberals, say the law has done more to help than hurt their family to date. Because these groups are among the most supportive of both President Barack Obama and his signature law, it suggests people's views of the how the law has affected them may be influenced by their political leanings, in addition to the law's real-world impact on their own situation.

More Expect Pain Than Relief From Law in the Long Run

ALL of it here
In U.S., 69% Remain Unaffected by Health Law to Date

Both of my kids are struggling to say the least trying to pay rent etc. while in college.
My oldest had no problem a few years ago - today after part-timers everywhere had their hours cut to 20-25 hours - they can't meet their bills.
Which means yes, my wife and I are paying them.

Forum List

Back