Ina LANDSLIDE, House repeals Obamacare

My question: why didn't they deal with the bad parts before they passed it in the first place?

Talking about this in the abstract is pointless. Plenty of pieces that some thought were "bad" (e.g. a public option, Ben Nelson's permanently enhanced FMAP for Nebraska, a perceived lack of additional resources for anti-fraud efforts) were dealt with during the legislative process. So if you want to talk about the particular reasons why something is still in the law, you'll have to be specific.

I think the biggest, most glaring pile of shit still in it is the mandate (though there are LOTS of piles in it). But the mandate is walking the green mile, now that the Bill has passed the House and 26 States have enjoined the lawsuit to remove it.

Constitutional or not (to me, it is obviously NOT Constitutional, but that has now become moot), if the majority of States don't want it, it will not be enacted or enforced. And 26 (and still growing) is a pretty large majority of the States.

The mandate is dead. All that remains is the formality of the autopsy and the burial.

True the mandate might be dead, but if obamacare is not striped from the law, the mandate wiull be revisted a few years down the road and will be added again.

Constitutional or not (to me, it is obviously NOT Constitutional, but that has now become moot), if the majority of States don't want it, it will not be enacted or enforced. And 26 (and still growing) is a pretty large majority of the States.

Virtually every state is designing and exchange. If they don't want a mandate in their market, they're going to have to come up with something to replace it that serves the same function.

Virtually every state is designing and exchange. If they don't want a mandate in their market, they're going to have to come up with something to replace it that serves the same function.

When you want something it is imperative, something that nobody can live without? How did we survive so long without this mandate? Who are you to decree what is and what is not possible?

obama will not be funded so the attempt is moot.

They don't "have" to replace it with anything. That's the beauty of the Constitution and the Union. Without the support of the States, the Union has no power. Obviously what has happened here is that the Federal Government has overstepped its provisional power as provided by the States, and the States are saying...."Hang on, Billy.....we're not going there."

26 States do not want the mandate. They have not proposed any alternative in this lawsuit, therefore, no alternative will be provided through this lawsuit. None is required.

26 States don't want it.

So it is dead.

Now.....I'm sure other legislation will arise that DOES provide alternatives, but the result of the current lawsuit will be to strike the mandate only. We will return to where we were, if only for a brief moment.

When you want something it is imperative, something that nobody can live without? How did we survive so long without this mandate? Who are you to decree what is and what is not possible?

We survived this long through medical underwriting: exclusions or discriminatory rates levied on people for their gender, or age, or medical history. Most people don't particularly that concept. So now it won't exist anymore. But underwriting existed because it served a purpose; eliminating it requires instituting something else that serves the same purpose.

All you're suggesting is that states won't receive any more federal grants to help them do things like design exchanges, etc. We'll see if that's the case but even if it is, states are still required (and have already started) to implement the big ticket items in the law, namely the Medicaid expansion and the construction of exchanges.

We survived this long through medical underwriting: exclusions or discriminatory rates levied on people for their gender, or age, or medical history. Most people don't particularly that concept. So now it won't exist anymore. But underwriting existed because it served a purpose; eliminating it requires instituting something else that serves the same purpose.

All you're suggesting is that states won't receive any more federal grants to help them do things like design exchanges, etc. We'll see if that's the case but even if it is, states are still required (and have already started) to implement the big ticket items in the law, namely the Medicaid expansion and the construction of exchanges.

obamacare will not be funded by the federal government there by the states will not participate. There will not be an exchange noir will there be money for obamacare.

This mess of a bill needs to be repealed.

They need to start over. Keep what good and go for real reform i.e. the cost.

You would trust the government will any type of healthcare legislation as law? no matter how stripped they will make it sooner or later someone will bring back what we have now. Remeber the patriot act? How it was supposed to protect the American people, now it's used against us. No way this monster has got to go before it grows out of control.

You would trust the government will any type of healthcare legislation as law? no matter how stripped they will make it sooner or later someone will bring back what we have now. Remeber the patriot act? How it was supposed to protect the American people, now it's used against us. No way this monster has got to go before it grows out of control.

I completely trust the government over private entities..which..as it is shown in Arizona, without funding..will let people die.

"Obamacare" is the Republican plan. What should have happened was a public option or expanded medicare.

I completely trust the government over private entities..which..as it is shown in Arizona, without funding..will let people die.

"Obamacare" is the Republican plan. What should have happened was a public option or expanded medicare.

Than you really are a fol sorry about that but you are a very foolish person to think the government wants to help you. Have they helped the American Indian? Look at what kind of healthcare system the government provides for them.

I was talking to someone at work the other day who had no clue that they could now put their kid back on their healthcare plan until he's 26, because of this bill. It's clear that many people aren't supporting this thing because they don't even know of its benefits to them.

I was talking to someone at work the other day who had no clue that they could now put their kid back on their healthcare plan until he's 26, because of this bill. It's clear that many people aren't supporting this thing because they don't even know of its benefits to them.

Of course when he adds his son, the premiums will be too high, so its a moot point.

Over the last 20 years the cost of health care has risen over 400%. That is a faster rate of cost increase than any other vital commodity or service. In 2007 the public demanded the government do something about it. This came from the people ...not from the liars, thieves and ghouls that prey on the sick in our country. In 2007 there was almost a 70% TO 30% demand for action.

Healthcare System

Now public opinion has diminished significantly with still no handle on the costs of health care except the still future effects of the health care legislation. So what has changed? Has the American public recently all got richer so costs are no longer a concern? Have the costs come down? Ya right...Hell no..... they have almost doubled in the last two years.

What has happened is that America has been beaten down by a constant barrage of lies and billions of dollars spent by those that have a death grip on the profits from our health care.

Americans are stupid. We deserve to be victims. We do not have the intelligence to make a reasonable demand and stick to it. And you fucking morons, that deny support for relief from the thieves and lobbyists and christian fundamentalist fuckwits in their pockets in Washington, are the ones with the blood of Americans on your hands. I hope you are proud of yourselves. Have I told you how much I hate you today?

Somebody will have to. The bill passed today would not be signed by a Republican in the White House. The vote today means the GOP has committed itself to health care reform. This is a very good step.
“A bill without the mandate is no longer real health reform,” said Jonathan Gruber, an economist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a key architect of both the Massachusetts law and the federal law.

In a paper prepared for the Obama administration, Gruber estimated premiums would rise 27 percent without the mandate because of these “free riders,” as opposed to the 10 percent expected increase in the non-group market expected under reform."

So without the mandate premiums would rise 27%. There would be several options besides just repealing it.
1. Pass legislation to discourage the free riders, (those that wait till they are seriously ill to sign up). Insurance companies could be allowed to consider preexisting conditions for free riders.
2. Pass legislation to adopt a single payer system. That would probably be the cheapest alternative but it would be a huge fight since it would be the end of private healthcare insurance.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/congr...de-house-repeals-obamacare-3.html#post3227865

well, you weren't the one I expected to try and explain it but I do thank you.

how about bending the cost curve?

To reduce the cost of healthcare, we must change the way healthcare is delivered. Fee for Service has to be changed to Fee for Successful Outcomes.

Doctors, hospitals, and other medical facilities sell services. The more they sell, the more they make. So what's wrong with that? Well, nothing if you're shopping at the grocery store where you can compare the cost versus the value of the product. With medical care it's just not possible for the patient to do that, especially with serious health problems that require extensive medical care.

You pay the same amount for success as you do for failure. Where is the incentive?

Than you really are a fol sorry about that but you are a very foolish person to think the government wants to help you. Have they helped the American Indian? Look at what kind of healthcare system the government provides for them.

Ya..right..like you do. What a vile ignorant piece of shit you are. It is morons like you that help sell ignorance to your fellow countrymen that has already destroyed our country. Thanks asshole.

Ya..right..like you do. What a vile ignorant piece of shit you are. It is morons like you that help sell ignorance to your fellow countrymen that has already destroyed our country. Thanks asshole.

HUGGY sucks dick in the "homo cage"....

True story...:thup:

HUGGY sucks dick in the "homo cage"....

True story...:thup:

Go Fuck Yourself you worthless punk ass Gimp Bitch.

I loved this letter, it said it so well and so honestly.

Politics, anyone? - Bakersfield.com -

"I resent politicians making claims about what "the American people" want. I do not want anything that McCarthy is suggesting I want. Unless he's implying that I'm no longer an American. It would make me happy if instead, he said something like, "the conservatives who agree with me believe..." That would help me out. Oh, and he's wrong on top of that.

The stated goal of the Republicans is to defeat Obama--I doubt many Democrats share that goal with you.

You're not reforming the health care system, you're reforming the health insurance system. Big difference there, as your sponsors I'm sure have told you. And while our health care system may be tops, our insurance policies are not.

"A health care system devised by the patient and doctor." Then what are you doing in the middle of them? Shoo.

"our families deserve better." Whose families? Yours? Don't like your health insurance, sir? Because I'd love to share it with you. That being said, I'm glad you said "deserve" because last time, all we heard from the right was how nobody "deserved" anything--go get your own job, your own health insurance and pay for it like everyone else. I appreciate the change in tone. That's a good start. I'd further appreciate it if you'd also not pretend to be speaking for "the American people" as if we all agree with you."

Forum List

Back