Incompetent United Air Lines Physically Drags Passenger Off Plane For Their (Airline) Mistake

Nobody goes to jail for refusing to leave an airplane...especially Dao
What...are they going to fine him for bleeding on an airplane?
Are you disagreeing about the law on it or simply agreeing that Dao will take a plea deal to avoid jail?

I'm claiming he will not be indicted

It has been three days, if he is such a criminal he would be in jail by now...looks like you owe me $25 million

Last edited:
Agree...I think United wants this one to go away
A lawsuit going to trial will bring this embarrassment back into the headlines

They will offer one of those "no admittance of fault" settlements
Of course they do. No airline wants bad PR, but this is now in the hands of the Feds and the State. Mr. Dao could end up on the No-Fly list due to his "law enforcement issues". 8 ways you can end up on the no-fly list

OTOH, I fail to see what lawsuit United needs to settle. Dao agreed to the terms of Carriage, all was done properly. Just because Dao refused to comply with lawful police orders is not the fault of United.

That's a good one

It will only add to his settlement with United
We'll see, but, again, this is out of United's hands. The laws Dao broke were State and Federal ones, not United's.

Tell it to the jury when they are assigning damages

Lets see....

United's ineptness provoked an incident on one of their planes that resulted in an entire planeload of passengers being terrorized
69 year old Dr Dao was roughed up, had his face slammed against an armrest, was knocked unconscious, was unable to treat his patients and now, as you are advocating is prohibited from flying

Maybe if they can find a jury full of airline executives United will have a chance

An as of the news this morning, he's still in the hospital.

But, UAL will get away with this, as will the thugs who assaulted him for the unforgivable sin of demanding to get what he paid for and then getting upset when he told he had to get off the plane.

UAL has already gotten away with it and cops always get away with it. A frail 69 year old is such a threat to three burly policemen

But UAL has taken a pounding in bad publicity and has their CEO groveling on a daily basis. I would bet you will never see United or any other airline bumping passengers who have already been seated

What law did Dao break?

Refusing the leave the aircraft when asked.

Expert suggests the law was broken on Flight 3411, but not by United Airlines

Andrew Harakas, partner and aviation expert at Clyde & Co law firm, told The Independent that Mr Dao was effectively obliged to disembark under federal law if asked to do so by staff.

“Once you’re a passenger on board an aircraft you can’t interfere with the crew performing their duties or the aircraft being operated, that’s the basic rule,” he said.

“Once you are on board an aircraft it is a general requirement of conditions that you obey the orders of the pilot and cabin crew,” he said, while adding that the orders often relate to safety instructions such as requiring passengers to fasten their seatbelts.

“Once you disobey an order of the cabin crew you are potentially in trouble, however unreasonable it is,” he added.

Yup....basically a trespassing offense
Let him go to trial as a 69 year old doctor who was being forcibly ejected after explaining he had patients to take care of
A jury will love that

United did not have to eject passengers to get their crew from Chicago to Louisville

Chicago O'Hare is a major hub and United must either have small aircraft or the ability to charter one on short notice. They decided ejecting passengers was cheaper
Wow. You really think airlines have multi-million dollar assets just laying around? Why not put passengers on them and make some money?

At a major hub like O'Hare. I'm sure United has a corporate jet sitting around. If not, there are turboprops that seat 10-12 passengers that are available for hire

But ejecting passengers is cheaper
.....and your aviation expertise is based on what?

I've flown over a million miles and been through O'Hare dozens of times. I bet if I had the money to spend, I could get a small charter flight within an hour. But a large airline like United probably ha a small fleet of executive jets, small turboprops or helicopters at their disposal....they are just too cheap to use them

Of course they do. No airline wants bad PR, but this is now in the hands of the Feds and the State. Mr. Dao could end up on the No-Fly list due to his "law enforcement issues". 8 ways you can end up on the no-fly list

OTOH, I fail to see what lawsuit United needs to settle. Dao agreed to the terms of Carriage, all was done properly. Just because Dao refused to comply with lawful police orders is not the fault of United.

That's a good one

It will only add to his settlement with United
We'll see, but, again, this is out of United's hands. The laws Dao broke were State and Federal ones, not United's.

Tell it to the jury when they are assigning damages

Lets see....

United's ineptness provoked an incident on one of their planes that resulted in an entire planeload of passengers being terrorized
69 year old Dr Dao was roughed up, had his face slammed against an armrest, was knocked unconscious, was unable to treat his patients and now, as you are advocating is prohibited from flying

Maybe if they can find a jury full of airline executives United will have a chance

As of the news this morning, he's still in the hospital.
In a rubber room?

WHAT is wrong with you?

The man was attacked, assaulted, knocked unconscious, dragged by his hands and all you can do is make childish bets and now you're making fun of him.

:dig:

But, UAL will get away with this, as will the thugs who assaulted him for the unforgivable sin of demanding to get what he paid for and then getting upset when he told he had to get off the plane.
Thugs? Is that what the LWLs are calling police these days? What funny is that whenever guns come up in discussion, these same LWLs claim the police are more responsible and should be the only ones with guns.

WHAT is wrong with you?

The man was attacked, assaulted, knocked unconscious, dragged by his hands and all you can do is make childish bets and now you're making fun of him.

:dig:
Nothing. Why are you so emotional and quick to engage in hurling insults and unsubstantiated hyperbole?

Ummm don't think so Chuckles. They just never bothered to calculate the time and cost. They're robot zombies murmuring "must.......... take.......... plane....." instead of giving it a moment's thought.

One time I went to Asheville airport to catch the first leg of a trip to Oregon. "Sorry" they told me at the airport, "your plane is late and we can't get you to your connection in Charlotte". "OK" I said, "fuck it, I'll drive to Charlotte". And I did, and I made it, easily, ahead of when the first plane was supposed to arrive.there.

The unwashed are just too lazy to figure out that air travel involves a lot of waiting around doing nothing and a lot of shuttling to and from places you wouldn't need to be in if you weren't taking a plane.

Oh and on the flight back from Oregon, the plane coming into Charlotte was late, and wasn't going to make the connection back to Asheville. Didn't matter to me -- I had my car.
Awesome. You must have an IQ at least 100. LOL

Fine, drive.

Are you disagreeing about the law on it or simply agreeing that Dao will take a plea deal to avoid jail?

It has been three days, if he is such a criminal he would be in jail by now...looks like you owe me $25 million
I'm content to wait. You'll come to regret not taking the $25 Gold Membership bet instead.

What law did Dao break?

Andrew Harakas, partner and aviation expert at Clyde & Co law firm, told The Independent that Mr Dao was effectively obliged to disembark under federal law if asked to do so by staff.

“Once you’re a passenger on board an aircraft you can’t interfere with the crew performing their duties or the aircraft being operated, that’s the basic rule,” he said.

“Once you are on board an aircraft it is a general requirement of conditions that you obey the orders of the pilot and cabin crew,” he said, while adding that the orders often relate to safety instructions such as requiring passengers to fasten their seatbelts.

“Once you disobey an order of the cabin crew you are potentially in trouble, however unreasonable it is,” he added.

Let him go to trial as a 69 year old doctor who was being forcibly ejected after explaining he had patients to take care of
A jury will love that
1) Trespassing is just one of many crimes he committed.

2) He'll be able to explain his "patients" to the Judge and/or jury. From what I've read, he can only practice one day a week. If the next day wasn't that day, it will look bad for him.

I'm content to wait. You'll come to regret not taking the $25 Gold Membership bet instead.

If Dr Dao is such a criminal...why is he still at large?

You owe me money

Thugs? Is that what the LWLs are calling police these days? What funny is that whenever guns come up in discussion, these same LWLs claim the police are more responsible and should be the only ones with guns.

Three burly policemen confronting an elderly man who was not a physical threat. Forcing him to scream in pain, then slamming his face against an armrest and dragging him off unconscious

Yea.....Thug is appropriate
That is why United called them in

I'm with the passenger on this one. Who wouldn't be upset after you purchased a ticket, went through all the aggravation and trouble to finally get in your seat and then be physically dragged off the plane? That is at least TERRIBLE business practice.
Upset? Yes. Start breaking laws? No. In essence, Dao is saying that he was special and someone else needed to be deplaned. By pitching a fit, he's saying "take someone more compliant". If the Feds and State don't enforce the law on this issue, then every time a passenger needs to be deplaned, regardless of the reason, passengers will refuse to leave their seats and scream like two year-olds thus forcing the cancellation of the flight. Great.

"In essence, Dao is saying that he was special and someone else needed to be deplaned. By pitching a fit, he's saying "take someone more compliant"."

Ridiculous.

There is nothing "special" about expecting to get what you paid for.

And nothing wrong with saying so. Nothing wrong with raising his voice, nothing wrong with objecting to being manhandled and then being assaulted.

OTOH, it would have been wiser for him to have blindly obeyed because, these days, cops really are just thugs who know they can get away with just about anything.

Especially if the victim is not white.

...But a large airline like United probably ha a small fleet of executive jets, small turboprops or helicopters at their disposal....they are just too cheap to use them
1) It was Republic airlines, a subcontracted airline, not United, flying an E170 70-seat jet.

2) No Hollywood-like fleets of "executive jets, small turboprops or helicopters at their disposal".

3) It's a business. Bad PR is bad for business, but so is spending a million bucks to make $100,000.

Three burly policemen confronting an elderly man who was not a physical threat. Forcing him to scream in pain, then slamming his face against an armrest and dragging him off unconscious

Yea.....Thug is appropriate
That is why United called them in
LOL

Okay, it's not like this is the first time LWers screamed "Pigs!", "Thugs!" or other names at police. Again, let the Judge figure it out.

What law did Dao break?

A jury will love that
1) Trespassing is just one of many crimes he committed.

2) He'll be able to explain his "patients" to the Judge and/or jury. From what I've read, he can only practice one day a week. If the next day wasn't that day, it will look bad for him.

"trespassing"

1. While the laws generally favor big business over the little guy, there is absolutely no reason to expect this poor man to think that sitting in the seat he had paid for made him guilty of "trespassing".

2. IOW, you're agreeing with rightwinger that the thugs assaulted an elderly man, for no apparent reason.

If Dr Dao is such a criminal...why is he still at large?

You owe me money

Looks like he's finally stopped harassing posters for money. Maybe he'll finally get a job and stop cyber-panhandling.

:dunno:

Forum List

Back