India acting like a spoiled child

One can only hope that you remain law abiding when our diplomats are jailed and tried for breaking India's sodomy laws.

So I repeat from an earlier post to someone else, you are of the opinion that slave labor should be allowed in the US because an Ally does it? We should base our enforcement of slave labor laws on the nation in question and not arrest anyone from an ally because in a fit of childish screaming they may lash out?

Great position to have.

It's how it was handled.

Cavity searching and strip searching a female diplomat from India was bound to raise the ire of a nation that you need as an ally.

Whoopsies.

Except you are not arguing about that. if you were I would agree. ]You have plainly stated we should have done nothing because it would anger an ally. You have sided with several posters that hate Obama so much that if he wiped his ass with a different hand they would claim he committed a crime.

The individual and higher up that authorizes the strip search should be publicly fired, BUT the diplomat should stay indicted and have to stand trial.

I never have said that no action should be taken. I went back and checked all my posts to be sure.

I've been just trying to hammer home that you don't handle situations like this with street cops arresting a diplomat for heaven's sake.

A little more background. Makes it even more bizarre.

US Attorney Preet Bharara was not dealing with a North Korea or the Axis of Evil when he produced the indictment against Khobragade and the US State Department gave the go ahead.

Wisdom was sorely lacking.

Besides, Bharara's office simply ignored Indian legal proceedings already underway against Sangeeta Richard, Khobragade's domestic help, as if they had no bearing on the case.

There was an arrest warrant against her, apart from an order by the Delhi high court barring her from instituting proceedings against her employer outside India.

The disputes over the terms of her employment and salary were to be decided by an Indian court.

The Indian embassy submitted both orders to the State Department but got no response.

Even after ignoring the Indian courts outright, the American system could have found a more rational way to deal with the situation.

With Devyani Khobragade, US wasn?t dealing with a North Korea or the axis of evil - The Times of India

This opinion piece really lays it on the line and puts everything in perspective when one is discussing diplomacy.

It's bang on the money.

The nodal agency for diplomatic relations in the United States is the State Department. When things go wrong - as they clearly did in this case - the buck stops with those in charge of foreign relations, not the many local law enforcement agencies.

This is the basis of conducting diplomatic relations.

If a US diplomat or her dependents get caught in a sticky situation in India, she would rightfully expect the ministry of external affairs to deal with it for a sensible outcome.

Should the MEA send the erring diplomat to the local sub-inspector instead?

And if asked, should the MEA spokesperson refer all real questions to the police station?

With Devyani Khobragade, US wasn?t dealing with a North Korea or the axis of evil - The Times of India

No wonder the Indians are so pissed! Now we're harboring a criminal and her whole family.

No wonder the Indians are so pissed! Now we're harboring a criminal and her whole family.

Bingo! Someone in the State Department didn't think this through at all. And the mess was so avoidable if the police hadn't become involved.

There are two sides to this story and it wasn't like the diplomat was going to go on the run. She was logically expecting the situation to be resolved by the proper channels.

And it appeared to be moving forward. How bizarre. Now you have the maid and her family with freaking visas!!!

YIKES!

Those visas should be revoked immediately and the whole family deported. Then a full state department investigation. That might go some way to making this not as bad as it really is.

Those visas should be revoked immediately and the whole family deported. Then a full state department investigation. That might go some way to making this not as bad as it really is.

What truly amazes me on a continual basis is when people don't understand the gravity of diplomatic F ups.

For example I was just reading that because of the NSA scandal Brazil has cancelled a multi million dollar deal with Boeing and instead is going to give their $$$$$$$$ to Swedish firm.

Brazil did more than that. They expelled our diplomats. What's worse about the spying is that Susan Rice told Merkle that the US would not agree to stopping the tapping of personal phones.

Is it part of the democrat plan that the US be isolated?

You found a lot of good stuff.

Brazil did more than that. They expelled our diplomats. What's worse about the spying is that Susan Rice told Merkle that the US would not agree to stopping the tapping of personal phones.

Is it part of the democrat plan that the US be isolated?

You found a lot of good stuff.

Oh they are pissed as well as many other countries to be sure. I just wish people would understand that "situations" go far beyond the diplomacy "bubble" . All the way down to mega financial dealings with contracts being awarded to "allies".

This one was a biggie with Boeing. $4.5 Billion, (yes with a B) deal down the drain over NSA.

Ouch!

Who knows what's going to happen with India over this F up. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Bingo! Someone in the State Department didn't think this through at all. And the mess was so avoidable if the police hadn't become involved.

There are two sides to this story and it wasn't like the diplomat was going to go on the run. She was logically expecting the situation to be resolved by the proper channels.

And it appeared to be moving forward. How bizarre. Now you have the maid and her family with freaking visas!!!

YIKES!

A good post, like your previous ones on this thread. You did well to point out the distinction between Consular and Diplomatic immunity.

The initial fault was that of the Indians who should have ensured that their deputy Consul General had full diplomatic immunity. Easy, especially in New York, where she could have listed as concurrently a member of the Indian UN Mission. (They have now so appointed her. Too late).

The greater mistake imo (an opinion derived from 30 years diplomatic service, including spells as Consul when I always had diplomatic immunity) was that of the US State Department who could have simple declared her persona non grata, without publicity, and given her a week or two to leave the US. To have created a major incident, seriously damaging US/Indian relations, was an act of sheer folly. The responsible officials should be disciplined.

YIKES!

A good post, like your previous ones on this thread. You did well to point out the distinction between Consular and Diplomatic immunity.

The initial fault was that of the Indians who should have ensured that their deputy Consul General had full diplomatic immunity. Easy, especially in New York, where she could have listed as concurrently a member of the Indian UN Mission. (They have now so appointed her. Too late).

The greater mistake imo (an opinion derived from 30 years diplomatic service, including spells as Consul when I always had diplomatic immunity) was that of the US State Department who could have simple declared her persona non grata, without publicity, and given her a week or two to leave the US. To have created a major incident, seriously damaging US/Indian relations, was an act of sheer folly. The responsible officials should be disciplined.

Thank you for your comments based on personal experience. Appreciated.

U.S.'s Kerry expresses regret to India over diplomat case

They do have one point, their diplomats are probably not paid as much as ours. But they knowingly lie on the forms when they claim they will pay them at our rates which negates the point they have.

India was warned in September the Diplomat in question was going to be investigated.

And as for their moving her to the UN that takes acceptance BY the US.

Wanna bet Obama approves the move and screws the case and the worker involved?

I'm actually more on India's side on this one. Strip searching a diplomat over a salary dispute sounds like overkill.

India allows Americans the right to have their same sex partners in violation of Indian law. That's gonna change. India has every right to enforce their own laws. Start the mass arrests already!

The guards and barricades around the American Embassy have already been removed.

Another country that obama has alienated. He might make it a grand slam of every country yet.

Actually, we can not consider on this only because of this point. We should must respect everyone's culture and the lifestyle which they wears. Indian just declined the 377 law, in which they are allowing to do homosexual living, but its its declined by the government, its see how much people are being going to accept the law.

Treating a foreign national who happens to be a diplomat like a common criminal was stupid. Everything but the strip search was fine, but humiliating a Hindu woman (judging by the dot between her eyes symbolizing a marriage to a Hindu deity, forget which) stripping her naked was over the line. SOP or not, they didn't have to do that.

I don't care if she had 30 defacto slaves in her employ, it's a labor dispute and white collar charges, not espionage or treason.

That said, India's response removing security barricades was also over the line.

India has a good reason to be angry. This was an illegal action by the US government. Liberals, your arguments for big government go out the window with incidents like these. Government can become so big that it infringes on the sovereignty of other nations. There's your sign.

I hope it turns out well. Considering India is possibly our most important ally in Asia.

Hopefully "whatever, fuck 'em" doesn't win out :cool:

Interesting but we give foreign aid to Pakistan - an enemy of India - and we don't give it to them as they probably don't want it.

India sees itself as a powerful nation in the region on a par with China.

YIKES!

Would I be right in thinking, a quiet word in the correct ear would probably have saved even that?

I hope it turns out well. Considering India is possibly our most important ally in Asia.

Hopefully "whatever, fuck 'em" doesn't win out :cool:

Interesting but we give foreign aid to Pakistan - an enemy of India - and we don't give it to them as they probably don't want it.

India sees itself as a powerful nation in the region on a par with China.

I think more than India sees India that way.

Forum List

Back