Indiana’s got a problem: Too many teachers don’t want to work there anymore

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
"The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14, and there was an 18.5 percent decline in the number of licenses issued to new teachers during the same period, according to Indiana Department of Education figures."

"What’s going on? Pretty much the same thing as in Arizona, Kansas and other states where teachers are fleeing: a combination of under-resourced schools, the loss of job protections, unfair teacher evaluation methods, an increase in the amount of mandated standardized testing and the loss of professional autonomy."

Yes, I told you so. Yes, I told you people that it was insane to think that making the teaching profession a much less attractive career choice was going to attract the best and brightest to teaching.

That is the conservative theory. And it's being proven as stupid as everyone should have easily recognized.

Indiana s got a problem Too many teachers don t want to work there anymore - The Washington Post

"The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14, and there was an 18.5 percent decline in the number of licenses issued to new teachers during the same period, according to Indiana Department of Education figures."

"What’s going on? Pretty much the same thing as in Arizona, Kansas and other states where teachers are fleeing: a combination of under-resourced schools, the loss of job protections, unfair teacher evaluation methods, an increase in the amount of mandated standardized testing and the loss of professional autonomy."

Yes, I told you so. Yes, I told you people that it was insane to think that making the teaching profession a much less attractive career choice was going to attract the best and brightest to teaching.

That is the conservative theory. And it's being proven as stupid as everyone should have easily recognized.

Indiana s got a problem Too many teachers don t want to work there anymore - The Washington Post
Are you sure it's not because under qualified teachers can't compete??? As an Indiana resident, I can tell you that there are programs available where students can actually finish high school with a college associates degree, free of charge.

Are you sure it's not because under qualified teachers can't compete??? As an Indiana resident, I can tell you that there are programs available where students can actually finish high school with a college associates degree, free of charge.

Yes I'm sure it's not that.

You know...it was bound to happen...if society generally shits on teachers, people won't want to pick it up as a career....

It's classic market economics, you know, that thing conservatives try to pretend they're smarter than everyone else about.

A young person doesn't want to spend 4 or more years getting the college education in order to get a job that doesn't pay well, doesn't have security, doesn't have good benefits.

It's not even complicated.

You know...it was bound to happen...if society generally shits on teachers, people won't want to pick it up as a career....

It's classic market economics, you know, that thing conservatives try to pretend they're smarter than everyone else about.

A young person doesn't want to spend 4 or more years getting the college education in order to get a job that doesn't pay well, doesn't have security, doesn't have good benefits.

Especially when half of the country hates you and your profession. I'm looking at you republicans.

Yet so many spend all those years to get degrees where there are no job prospects, Go figure.

Especially when half of the country hates you and your profession. I'm looking at you republicans.

More leftwing divisionist propaganda. Goebbels and Wilson would be proud.

You almost gotta laugh. Shit bird teachers and potential teachers who worry more about "teacher evaluations" than the freaking kids search for states who don't give a shit about education. Good riddance.

You almost gotta laugh. Shit bird teachers and potential teachers who worry more about "teacher evaluations" than the freaking kids search for states who don't give a shit about education. Good riddance.
To become a teacher today, one would have to be a masochist.

This an opinion article, not a news article. We should not accept what the author is saying, without considering his bias.

Once upon a time Indiana didn't have this problem. It isn't that there aren't qualified individuals. There is a little game that Indiana likes to play amongst its little districts. The little boards of education will hire right up until a possible contract and the teachers aren't hired. They are afraid of the teachers acquiring tenure. They want them to work for $24, 000 dollars a year. Take a look at their answer to NCLB. It is designed for every school to fail and that way it can be turned over to a "charter".

Instead they want teachers to work for 5 bucks an hour and to fire at will. You don't need a degree in education to teach.
Want To Teach In Indiana Without An Ed Degree You ll Still Need Some Training StateImpact Indiana

Last edited:

Once upon a time Indiana didn't have this problem. It isn't that there aren't qualified individuals. There is a little game that Indiana likes to play amongst its little districts. The little boards of education will hire right up until a possible contract and the teachers aren't hired. They are afraid of the teachers acquiring tenure. They want them to work for $24, 000 dollars a year. Take a look at their answer to NCLB. It is designed for every school to fail and that way it can be turned over to a "charter".

Instead they want teachers to work for 5 bucks an hour and to fire at will. You don't need a degree in education to teach.
Want To Teach In Indiana Without An Ed Degree You ll Still Need Some Training StateImpact Indiana
From your link:
According to the final language, if a permit-holder wants to renew his license in five years, he’ll need to receive training in these areas:

• Literacy for adolescents in content areas and across the curriculum based on scientifically-based reading research”
  • Differentiation of instruction and instructional methods, including methods for students with exceptional needs” (Differentiation is basically edu-speak for teaching a bunch of students of differing ability levels at once.)
  • Classroom and behavioral management, including legal rights and responsibilities of teacher and student”
    • Curriculum development, lesson planning, assessment strategies andusing data to inform instruction

• Psychology of child development, including the development of exceptional needs students”
    • “Competence in multicultural awarenessand technology as an aid to education
    Where will teachers receive this training? They could receive it in the school itself, “through school-based professional development,” through a college, or a “professional education organization.”

Please list your objections...

From your link:
According to the final language, if a permit-holder wants to renew his license in five years, he’ll need to receive training in these areas:

• Literacy for adolescents in content areas and across the curriculum based on scientifically-based reading research”
  • Differentiation of instruction and instructional methods, including methods for students with exceptional needs” (Differentiation is basically edu-speak for teaching a bunch of students of differing ability levels at once.)
  • Classroom and behavioral management, including legal rights and responsibilities of teacher and student”
    • Curriculum development, lesson planning, assessment strategies andusing data to inform instruction

• Psychology of child development, including the development of exceptional needs students”
    • “Competence in multicultural awarenessand technology as an aid to education
    Where will teachers receive this training? They could receive it in the school itself, “through school-based professional development,” through a college, or a “professional education organization.”

Please list your objections...

Let me help you out here. For all of those people that were going to school or graduated with that degree? They took those classes. In fact, they worked three separate programs. One for the state, one for the education department and one for the area that they were to teach in. If in five years Joe Blow from Kokomo wants to renew his license then he can get on those classes.

Congratulations---destruction of careers and standards in one fell swoop--not to mention the middle class.

Sorry but this is where I agree with the conservatives. I do NOT want some moronic teacher teaching my kids who only has a job because of a union....nah. I agree with the need for unions 100% but I also think there needs to be a quicker easier way to get rid of bad teachers. If you can't hack it then you don't belong teaching kids.

Sorry but this is where I agree with the conservatives. I do NOT want some moronic teacher teaching my kids who only has a job because of a union....nah. I agree with the need for unions 100% but I also think there needs to be a quicker easier way to get rid of bad teachers. If you can't hack it then you don't belong teaching kids.

There is a way. You can't shit can people because they don't teach creationism in science. You can't shit can people because you think they are gay. You either have an issue or you don't. If you have an issue then it is addressed. The other option is fire at will.

Apparently too many young people are learning to actually THINK in some colleges and are declining to indoctrinate rather than teach. Couple that with today's undisciplined little shits - too many of whom are there just disrupt - and it's easy to see why other pastures are looking far more green.

Forum List

Back