Indiana’s got a problem: Too many teachers don’t want to work there anymore

Sorry but this is where I agree with the conservatives. I do NOT want some moronic teacher teaching my kids who only has a job because of a union....nah. I agree with the need for unions 100% but I also think there needs to be a quicker easier way to get rid of bad teachers. If you can't hack it then you don't belong teaching kids.

There is a way. You can't shit can people because they don't teach creationism in science. You can't shit can people because you think they are gay. You either have an issue or you don't. If you have an issue then it is addressed. The other option is fire at will.
I have seen it happen both ways. My mother got run out of a public school for merely making a comment to 2 boys acting oddly with each other parent threatened to sue unless she was fired. She resigned/retired instead. I was taught by some real shit teachers as well.

"The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14, and there was an 18.5 percent decline in the number of licenses issued to new teachers during the same period, according to Indiana Department of Education figures."

"What’s going on? Pretty much the same thing as in Arizona, Kansas and other states where teachers are fleeing: a combination of under-resourced schools, the loss of job protections, unfair teacher evaluation methods, an increase in the amount of mandated standardized testing and the loss of professional autonomy."

Yes, I told you so. Yes, I told you people that it was insane to think that making the teaching profession a much less attractive career choice was going to attract the best and brightest to teaching.

That is the conservative theory. And it's being proven as stupid as everyone should have easily recognized.

Indiana s got a problem Too many teachers don t want to work there anymore - The Washington Post
You almost gotta laugh. Shit bird teachers and potential teachers who worry more about "teacher evaluations" than the freaking kids search for states who don't give a shit about education. Good riddance.
To become a teacher today, one would have to be a masochist.
With summers off and a pleasant climate controlled environment and a static mission with standard easy hours that change little it seems that a teacher today would be inclined to consider the welfare of the kids instead of how "mandated standardized testing" impacts their own goals.

Do away with teaching licenses and they could fill the jobs. Someone with practical experience in the subject they are teaching would probably be more valuable and effective than someone who went to college to get a teaching certificate.

Sorry but this is where I agree with the conservatives. I do NOT want some moronic teacher teaching my kids who only has a job because of a union....nah. I agree with the need for unions 100% but I also think there needs to be a quicker easier way to get rid of bad teachers. If you can't hack it then you don't belong teaching kids.

There is a way. You can't shit can people because they don't teach creationism in science. You can't shit can people because you think they are gay. You either have an issue or you don't. If you have an issue then it is addressed. The other option is fire at will.
I have seen it happen both ways. My mother got run out of a public school for merely making a comment to 2 boys acting oddly with each other parent threatened to sue unless she was fired. She resigned/retired instead. I was taught by some real shit teachers as well.

That's unfortunate.

"The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14, and there was an 18.5 percent decline in the number of licenses issued to new teachers during the same period, according to Indiana Department of Education figures."

"What’s going on? Pretty much the same thing as in Arizona, Kansas and other states where teachers are fleeing: a combination of under-resourced schools, the loss of job protections, unfair teacher evaluation methods, an increase in the amount of mandated standardized testing and the loss of professional autonomy."

Yes, I told you so. Yes, I told you people that it was insane to think that making the teaching profession a much less attractive career choice was going to attract the best and brightest to teaching.

That is the conservative theory. And it's being proven as stupid as everyone should have easily recognized.

Indiana s got a problem Too many teachers don t want to work there anymore - The Washington Post
You almost gotta laugh. Shit bird teachers and potential teachers who worry more about "teacher evaluations" than the freaking kids search for states who don't give a shit about education. Good riddance.
With summers off and a pleasant climate controlled environment and a static mission with standard easy hours that change little it seems that a teacher today would be inclined to consider the welfare of the kids instead of how "mandated standardized testing" impacts their own goals.

The standardized testing regime is bullshit. It prevents teachers from actually teaching students. Good luck motivating students to learn when you're required to teach to some boring ass moronic test designed by "doctors of education" not by teachers.

You know...it was bound to happen...if society generally shits on teachers, people won't want to pick it up as a career....

It's classic market economics, you know, that thing conservatives try to pretend they're smarter than everyone else about.

A young person doesn't want to spend 4 or more years getting the college education in order to get a job that doesn't pay well, doesn't have security, doesn't have good benefits.

It's not even complicated.
Especially when half of the country hates you and your profession. I'm looking at you republicans.
Half the country hates teachers?.....Ok, please provide examples....
Or are you simply toeing the union line that says "if you oppose unionization and tenure of teachers, you therefore HATE teachers".....We've heard this from the administrators of teacher's unions and the rank and file....It is nothing more than a political ploy.
The major problem with unionized teachers is their protections are unreasonable to the point where even if a teacher is caught having illicit sex with a student, they cannot be fired until a lengthy and expensive process is concluded......Also, incompetent teachers are protected by tenure. That is absurd.
Teacher's unions conveniently use children as a shield as well.
Now, do teachers require more educational autonomy? Absolutely. The first step is to get rid of this idiotic Common Core crap.....Then get rid of these stupid standardized tests.
Allow the teachers to blend creativity and critical thinking into the classroom, instead of "teaching the test"....
Discipline. Bring back the days where if a kid fucked up in class, he or she was sent to the principal's office. And the Principal did not cave to these parents who threaten to file lawsuits because their little fucking cupcake failed a test.....Hey genius..Your kid is an asshole!!!!!
Lastly. Teachers should be teaching the basics of English, Math and Science all the way through the 9th grade. The shit that comes out of the mouths of kids and young adults is atrocious. These people cannot speak nor can they write.
Sentence construction and grammar are lost arts.....Spelling? WOW!

Or are you simply toeing the union line that says "if you oppose unionization and tenure of teachers, you therefore HATE teachers".....We've heard this from the administrators of teacher's unions and the rank and file....It is nothing more than a political ploy.
The major problem with unionized teachers is their protections are unreasonable to the point where even if a teacher is caught having illicit sex with a student, they cannot be fired until a lengthy and expensive process is concluded......Also, incompetent teachers are protected by tenure. That is absurd.

If a teacher is caught and you have evidence then it's a wrap. The union will not back you and they don't want you. What you cannot do is make allegations based on rumors because you didn't get a passing grade. Male teachers get the brunt of it. It isn't a question of if, but when, they are accused. If you have evidence that a teacher is incompetent then you prove it otherwise you have a case of you-just-don't-like-'em. The union doesn't want incompetent teachers either.

Discipline. Bring back the days where if a kid fucked up in class, he or she was sent to the principal's office. And the Principal did not cave to these parents who threaten to file lawsuits because their little fucking cupcake failed a test.....Hey genius..Your kid is an asshole!!!!!

You can threaten but you don't get it. Discipline is usually decided by those that have been elected to your local school boards. It is outlined in the policies that everyone signs off on at the beginning of school. Many times that power has been removed from the principals. You want discipline? Stop mainstreaming kids that don't need to be in regular classrooms.

Do away with teaching licenses and they could fill the jobs. Someone with practical experience in the subject they are teaching would probably be more valuable and effective than someone who went to college to get a teaching certificate.

Probably? How would you know before offering this person a contract?

People who don't know how to teach.....will not be effective educators. The idea that expertise in a given field is all that one needs to be an effective teacher is dumb as shit.

You've said something stupid here, pal. Well done.

I'm going to make a prediction. In about 10 years people are going to start paying attention after enough people have extorted as much cash as they can from "public education" and they get tired of kids as lab rats. Somebody, a candidate or an elected official, is not going to be allowed to play with the big boys and they are going to start dragging out all of the real estate schemes and all of the money spent on testing and all of the money that has been spent on BS. The general public will all of a sudden exhibit faux outrage and scream victim hood for all of the crap that they are unwilling to speak out about now.

The Dems and the Repubs won't do it and the smartest thing they can do in this election cycle is run from it. Both have their hands in the kitty.

You know...it was bound to happen...if society generally shits on teachers, people won't want to pick it up as a career....

It's classic market economics, you know, that thing conservatives try to pretend they're smarter than everyone else about.

A young person doesn't want to spend 4 or more years getting the college education in order to get a job that doesn't pay well, doesn't have security, doesn't have good benefits.

Especially when half of the country hates you and your profession. I'm looking at you republicans.
Half the country hates teachers?.....Ok, please provide examples....
Or are you simply toeing the union line that says "if you oppose unionization and tenure of teachers, you therefore HATE teachers".....We've heard this from the administrators of teacher's unions and the rank and file....It is nothing more than a political ploy. !

The real life experience of Indiana is your example.

They can come to the Northeast where teachers get treated better and the quality of the education is much better.

Why should states require teachers to have any college at all? Most states probably have an emergency teaching license they can issue to anyone. I would suggest states like Indiana simply issue those licenses by the thousands and they would have all the teachers they could handle, and cheap too.
Maybe public education on the way out in the United States, and this is the beginning?

People who don't know how to teach.....will not be effective educators. The idea that expertise in a given field is all that one needs to be an effective teacher is dumb as shit.

The idea that somehow somebody who has 20 years of practical experience in a field is less qualified to teach on it than someone who has never had experience outside of a classroom is the epitome of elitist academic snobbery.

Furthermore, studies have shown that government licensing pretty much has no affect on protecting consumers or increasing skills.

Replace Mandatory State Licensing with Voluntary Certification Study Says Georgia Public Policy Foundation

When Teacher's Unions main goal is to protect the most incompetent of their members, the disdain people feel for unions naturally spreads over to the teachers themselves.

Why should states require teachers to have any college at all? Most states probably have an emergency teaching license they can issue to anyone. I would suggest states like Indiana simply issue those licenses by the thousands and they would have all the teachers they could handle, and cheap too.
Maybe public education on the way out in the United States, and this is the beginning?

Maybe we could do that with the doctor shortage too.

Jesus!

When Teacher's Unions main goal is to protect the most incompetent of their members, the disdain people feel for unions naturally spreads over to the teachers themselves.

That is not the main goal of teachers' unions. You're an idiot.

Summers off? Pleasant climate controlled environment? Most teachers I know continue to work or prep during most of the summer....couple friends are already back in...and they didn't officially end til the end of June with a few manditory workshops during the summer. And many of the schools here have either no-A/C or it's so old it doesn't work well. One friend likes to tell the story of her A/C going out during a hot September, Santa Anas and all and they were "waiting on a part". The asst. principal came in to do an official observation and left after 2 minutes because it was "too hot". Class continued.

Nope. In fact Teacher's Unions are required to still represent in bargaining and in mediation those who do not join.

The idea that somehow somebody who has 20 years of practical experience in a field is less qualified to teach on it than someone who has never had experience outside of a classroom is the epitome of elitist academic snobbery.

Furthermore, studies have shown that government licensing pretty much has no affect on protecting consumers or increasing skills.

Replace Mandatory State Licensing with Voluntary Certification Study Says Georgia Public Policy Foundation

Elitist academic snobbery? Excellent term.

If you don't know how to teach.....all the experience in the world won't make you qualified to be an educator. This isn't debatable.

What an excellent idea. Let's try it out first in Red states.

Forum List

Back