IRS Sent Same Letter to Democrats That Fed Tea Party Row

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010

The Internal Revenue Service, under pressure after admitting it targeted anti-tax Tea Party groups for scrutiny in recent years, also had its eye on at least three Democratic-leaning organizations seeking nonprofit status.

One of those groups, Emerge America, saw its tax-exempt status denied, forcing it to disclose its donors and pay some taxes. None of the Republican groups have said their applications were rejected.
Progress Texas, another of the organizations, faced the same lines of questioning as the Tea Party groups from the same IRS office that issued letters to the Republican-friendly applicants. A third group, Clean Elections Texas, which supports public funding of campaigns, also received IRS inquiries.

In a statement late yesterday, the tax agency said it had pooled together the politically active nonpartisan applicants -- including a “minority” that were identified because of their names. “It is also important to understand that the group of centralized cases included organizations of all political views,” the IRS said in its statement.

Another "scandal" blown to bits! :lol:

This isn't going to go away with the resignation of one person and a few slaps on the wrists. This went on for at least a year and a half, if not longer.

People above the "low level" employees doing it knew and allowed it to continue.

There will be jail time served.

The Internal Revenue Service, under pressure after admitting it targeted anti-tax Tea Party groups for scrutiny in recent years, also had its eye on at least three Democratic-leaning organizations seeking nonprofit status.

One of those groups, Emerge America, saw its tax-exempt status denied, forcing it to disclose its donors and pay some taxes. None of the Republican groups have said their applications were rejected.
Progress Texas, another of the organizations, faced the same lines of questioning as the Tea Party groups from the same IRS office that issued letters to the Republican-friendly applicants. A third group, Clean Elections Texas, which supports public funding of campaigns, also received IRS inquiries.

In a statement late yesterday, the tax agency said it had pooled together the politically active nonpartisan applicants -- including a “minority” that were identified because of their names. “It is also important to understand that the group of centralized cases included organizations of all political views,” the IRS said in its statement.

Really? Last count it's close to 500 Conservative groups that were targeted. Pretty sure that was Politico.

Dream on. IRS head honcho forced to resign. FBI involved in a criminal investigation of the IRS and you're saying another scandal blown to bits?

:lol:

Put down the bong.

This isn't going to go away with the resignation of one person and a few slaps on the wrists. This went on for at least a year and a half, if not longer.

People above the "low level" employees doing it knew and allowed it to continue.

What's cracking me up are the number of USMB libs who obviously are disconnected to what is really happening out there in liberal land.

Honestly. How many threads have libs started or posted in going "nothing to see here" but inside the beltway all hell is truly breaking loose on the Democrat side of life.

Check this out. No one can claim that NBC is a right wing news outlet.

NBC Compares Obama Admin to the Nixon Era

From the piece: And there is video at the link.

BRIAN WILLIAMS: Good evening. As a lot of American adults not so fondly remember, the last time the government was found looking into the phone calls of reporters and using the IRS for political purposes, it was the Nixon era, and while times have changed and circumstances are different, that subject came up at the Obama White House today as the administration now scrambles on several fronts.

We begin with the potentially illegal use of the IRS to scrutinize some American groups and citizens because of their politics, and in this case because of conservative politics. Again, this is just one front we’re covering tonight.

NBC Compares Obama Admin to The Nixon Era | Washington Free Beacon

A whole three? Meanwhile over 500 conservative applicants sat for over two years while left leaning applications sailed on through days or weeks later.

Not sure about jail time but a lot of people need to lose their jobs. The people involved in this crap have no respect for their job or the people they are charged with wronging.

The IRS already admitted what they did. Obama fired the IRS chief today. I guess you better call Obama and tell him he was wrong to do that and he is wrong to be outraged at this.

Is Obama included in this 'circle jerk' Dot Com speaks of since he is out there condemning what the IRS did????? Can't have it both ways, people.

Then why did they ask the acting chief of the IRS to resign? :eusa_eh:

I don't know what news station you watch, but this is considered a scandal in any of them.

I don't know what news station you watch, but this is considered a scandal in any of them.

Obama is acting more angry than anyone. All the nasty comments in this thread aimed at the right should be directed at Obama. Unless he lying............................

What went on? Asking groups to prove they were non-profit?

THE HORROR!!!

Really? Last count it's close to 500 Conservative groups that were targeted. Pretty sure that was Politico.

Dream on. IRS head honcho forced to resign. FBI involved in a criminal investigation of the IRS and you're saying another scandal blown to bits?

:lol:

Put down the bong.
Define 'targeted'.

Has Chris, Rachel, Ed, Donny, and that blithering idiot Brit on MSNBC spoken yet?

What went on? Asking groups to prove they were non-profit?

THE HORROR!!!

Looks like you missed it so I'll remind you again..

ACTING CHIEF OF THE IRS WAS FORCED TO RESIGN.

If you don't believe me, here's his resignation letter:

May 15, 2013
The internal message to IRS Employees from Acting IRS Commissioner Steven T. Miller

Dear Colleagues,

It is with regret that I will be departing from the IRS as my acting assignment ends in early June. This has been an incredibly difficult time for the IRS given the events of the past few days, and there is a strong and immediate need to restore public trust in the nation's tax agency. I believe the Service will benefit from having a new Acting Commissioner in place during this challenging period. As I wrap up my time at the IRS, I will be focused on an orderly transition.

While I recognize that much work needs to be done to restore faith in the IRS, I don't want anyone to lose sight of the fact that the IRS is comprised of incredibly dedicated and hard-working public servants. During my 25-year IRS career, I am profoundly proud to have worked alongside you and to be part of an institution that has worked hard to support the nation. I have strong confidence in the IRS leadership team to continue the important work of our agency.

I want to thank everyone for all of their support and friendship during my career in government service. And I especially want to thank each and every one of you for your continued commitment to the nation's taxpayers.

Steve

Read the IRS acting commissioner?s resignation letter ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Unless the only things you consider to be "scandals" are Desperate Housewives episodes.

Last edited:
It would appear that my gut feelings were quite correct when I said, several times, that these low level employees had their bosses' permission.

Four Cincy IRS workers, not two, allegedly connected to scandal - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

One of FOX19's two sources went on say that these four IRS workers claim "they simply did what their bosses ordered". Keep in mind, as FOX19 reported on Tuesday, the report by the Office of Inspector General states that senior IRS officials knew agents were targeting Tea Party groups as early as 2011.

In fact, according to that report, Lois Lerner who heads the IRS division that oversees tax exempt organizations, was told on June 29, 2011 that groups with 'Tea Party', 'Patriot' or '9/12 Project' in their names were being flagged for additional, and often burdensome, scrutiny.

While the IRS is pointing at 'two rogue employees', the number of organizations that were singled out has swelled to nearly 500, according to Rep. Congressmen Darryl Issa and Ohio's Jim Jordan.

FOX News is also reporting that at least two Cincinnati agents have been subpoenaed to testify before congress on Monday.

don't ruin the Righties circle jerk. :eusa_hand:

Tell me that you at least have a clue that all of this uproar is actually based on the Inspector General's report.

I don't see how the Inspector general (IG) for Tax Administration at the Treasury Department would be part of a right wing circle jerk.

Go ahead and argue with the IG's findings. Call the IG a right wing nutbar organization.
Knock yourself out. :lol:

But, according to the IG report, the IRS was not only targeting tea party organizations; it wasgoing after “groups focused on government spending, government debt, taxes, and education on ways to ‘make America a better place to live.’”

It also started targeting groups criticizing the government or educating Americans about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The IRS Scandal Just Got More Bizarre | RealClearPolitics

What laws were broken? Cite the statutes.

The Rules That Govern 501(c)(4)s

Nearly a century ago, Congress created the complicated legal framework that governs these tax-exempt nonprofits, also known as 501(c)(4)s for the part of the tax code they fall under. That rule said they were supposed to operate “exclusively for the promotion of social welfare” — a definition that includes groups ranging from local fire departments to the Sierra Club to the National Right to Life Committee.

While these nonprofits have always been allowed to lobby for change, in 1959, regulators opened the door to political activity by interpreting “exclusively” to mean that groups had to be “primarily” engaged in social welfare and helping the community.

But regulators never defined exactly how they would measure this balance. Part of the reason, said Marcus Owens, a former head of the IRS division overseeing nonprofits, is because the IRS didn’t want to limit what it could evaluate in deciding what was political activity.

However, the lack of clarity has created a unique type of organization when it comes to politics — chief among those differences being what the public must be told about these nonprofits’ donors.

More: The Rules That Govern 501(c)(4)s | Big Money 2012 | FRONTLINE | PBS by Emma Schwartz

TaxAlmanac - A free online tax research resource and community - Treasury Regulations, Subchapter A, Sec. 1.501(c)(4)-1

The Rules That Govern 501(c)(4)s

Nearly a century ago, Congress created the complicated legal framework that governs these tax-exempt nonprofits, also known as 501(c)(4)s for the part of the tax code they fall under. That rule said they were supposed to operate “exclusively for the promotion of social welfare” — a definition that includes groups ranging from local fire departments to the Sierra Club to the National Right to Life Committee.

While these nonprofits have always been allowed to lobby for change, in 1959, regulators opened the door to political activity by interpreting “exclusively” to mean that groups had to be “primarily” engaged in social welfare and helping the community.

But regulators never defined exactly how they would measure this balance. Part of the reason, said Marcus Owens, a former head of the IRS division overseeing nonprofits, is because the IRS didn’t want to limit what it could evaluate in deciding what was political activity.

However, the lack of clarity has created a unique type of organization when it comes to politics — chief among those differences being what the public must be told about these nonprofits’ donors.

More: The Rules That Govern 501(c)(4)s | Big Money 2012 | FRONTLINE | PBS by Emma Schwartz

TaxAlmanac - A free online tax research resource and community - Treasury Regulations, Subchapter A, Sec. 1.501(c)(4)-1

What's your point?

Forum List

Back