IRS Sent Same Letter to Democrats That Fed Tea Party Row

The Internal Revenue Service, under pressure after admitting it targeted anti-tax Tea Party groups for scrutiny in recent years, also had its eye on at least three Democratic-leaning organizations seeking nonprofit status.

One of those groups, Emerge America, saw its tax-exempt status denied, forcing it to disclose its donors and pay some taxes. None of the Republican groups have said their applications were rejected.
Progress Texas, another of the organizations, faced the same lines of questioning as the Tea Party groups from the same IRS office that issued letters to the Republican-friendly applicants. A third group, Clean Elections Texas, which supports public funding of campaigns, also received IRS inquiries.

In a statement late yesterday, the tax agency said it had pooled together the politically active nonpartisan applicants -- including a “minority” that were identified because of their names. “It is also important to understand that the group of centralized cases included organizations of all political views,” the IRS said in its statement.

Another "scandal" blown to bits! :lol:

I respect your opinion; however, I disagree with your assessment that the scandal is over and done with.

To begin with, I don't think that Emerge America is a fair comparison. Section 501(c)(4) does not prohibit championing a cause, such as lower taxes (a social welfare issue). It does however prohibit partisan politics, which is generally defined as promoting a particular party or candidate. Although the line between “social welfare” and "partisan politics” is somewhat blurred, some cases seem fairly clear. There is no doubt that Emerge American was engaged in partisan politics, and their 501(c)(4) status should have been revoked:

“The IRS recently revoked the §501(c)(4) status of a state-wide affiliate of Emerge America, an organization based in California whose purpose is to identify and train women for leadership in the Democratic Party. Emerge America requires its affiliates to select a class of trainees who intend to seek public office and are registered Democrats. The organization then conducts a training program on subjects such as: campaigns and elections, fundraising, public speaking, networking, media skills, and other topics related to running for public office.....”

Is the IRS going to scrutinize political c4s? | Blog

Training: The Emerge Program | Emerge America

Nonprofit (San Francisco): Emerge America - idealist.org

Unlike Emerge America, ProgressTexas (an affiliate of ProgressNow) appears to be similar to the Tea Party although the former is basically liberal and the latter essentially conservative; however, this is but one example of a liberal group who had a problem with the IRS, whereas many more conservative groups were subjected to unwarranted scrutiny by the IRS.

While I admire the IRS for doing their job with Emerge America and Progress Texas. I still believe they targeted The tea Party because of their principles and not for engaging in partisan politics. The IRS has admitted the Tea Party was asked inappropriate questions so there is no doubt in my mind that they were targeted, that is set apart for unnecessary scrutiny.

I don't think the scandal is going to go away any time soon.

But we shall see.

Edited to say I thanked you for providing information I was not aware of and that made me feel a little bit better about the IRS.

Last edited:
Knuckleheads,

It is a minor "scandal" as some IRS employees played loose with the rules and may have lied bout it in previous testimony.

But it a scandal for the IRS......not the Obama administration. That is where you are all going stupid on us. Your only hope is that you can paint a picture of Obama as running a loose ship......of not being a detail oriented manager. But...even that is a stretch considering the fact that the IRS is an independent agency with no Obama appointees on staff.

Pitiful, really.

The Internal Revenue Service, under pressure after admitting it targeted anti-tax Tea Party groups for scrutiny in recent years, also had its eye on at least three Democratic-leaning organizations seeking nonprofit status.

One of those groups, Emerge America, saw its tax-exempt status denied, forcing it to disclose its donors and pay some taxes. None of the Republican groups have said their applications were rejected.
Progress Texas, another of the organizations, faced the same lines of questioning as the Tea Party groups from the same IRS office that issued letters to the Republican-friendly applicants. A third group, Clean Elections Texas, which supports public funding of campaigns, also received IRS inquiries.

In a statement late yesterday, the tax agency said it had pooled together the politically active nonpartisan applicants -- including a “minority” that were identified because of their names. “It is also important to understand that the group of centralized cases included organizations of all political views,” the IRS said in its statement.

Actually..here comes the "other shoe."

In fact, the only known 501(c)(4) applicant to have its status denied happens to be a progressive group: the Maine chapter of Emerge America, which trains Democratic women to run for office. Although the group did no electoral work, and didn’t participate in independent expenditure campaign activity either, its partisan status apparently disqualified it from being categorized as working for the “common good.”
Meet the group the IRS actually denied: Democrats! - Salon.com

That didn't happen to ANY Tea Party groups.

Was this a conspiracy? I do not know.

But frankly? Nothing would surprise me about how bent our government is, anymore.

I respect your opinion; however, I disagree with your assessment that the scandal is over and done with.

To begin with, I don't think that Emerge America is a fair comparison. Section 501(c)(4) does not prohibit championing a cause, such as lower taxes (a social welfare issue). It does however prohibit partisan politics, which is generally defined as promoting a particular party or candidate. Although the line between “social welfare” and "partisan politics” is somewhat blurred, some cases seem fairly clear. There is no doubt that Emerge American was engaged in partisan politics, and their 501(c)(4) status should have been revoked:

“The IRS recently revoked the §501(c)(4) status of a state-wide affiliate of Emerge America, an organization based in California whose purpose is to identify and train women for leadership in the Democratic Party. Emerge America requires its affiliates to select a class of trainees who intend to seek public office and are registered Democrats. The organization then conducts a training program on subjects such as: campaigns and elections, fundraising, public speaking, networking, media skills, and other topics related to running for public office.....”

Is the IRS going to scrutinize political c4s? | Blog

Training: The Emerge Program | Emerge America

Nonprofit (San Francisco): Emerge America - idealist.org

Unlike Emerge America, ProgressTexas (an affiliate of ProgressNow) appears to be similar to the Tea Party although the former is basically liberal and the latter essentially conservative; however, this is but one example of a liberal group who had a problem with the IRS, whereas many more conservative groups were subjected to unwarranted scrutiny by the IRS.

While I admire the IRS for doing their job with Emerge America and Progress Texas. I still believe they targeted The tea Party because of their principles and not for engaging in partisan politics. The IRS has admitted the Tea Party was asked inappropriate questions so there is no doubt in my mind that they were targeted, that is set apart for unnecessary scrutiny.

I don't think the scandal is going to go away any time soon.

But we shall see.

First off. :lol: Admire for "doing their job"??? Gosh.

Second off..the LAW regarding this distinction says "EXCLUSIVELY" engaged in Social Welfare and the IRS REGULATION says "PRIMARILY". What this "SCANDAL" may have done was given the Obama administration a reason to have the LAW and the REGULATION comport to the LEGISLATION.

Which means..that the REGULATION would be NULL and VOID.

EFFECTIVELY diminishing the CITIZEN'S UNITED ruling.

:clap2:

Last edited:
The Rules That Govern 501(c)(4)s

Nearly a century ago, Congress created the complicated legal framework that governs these tax-exempt nonprofits, also known as 501(c)(4)s for the part of the tax code they fall under. That rule said they were supposed to operate “exclusively for the promotion of social welfare” — a definition that includes groups ranging from local fire departments to the Sierra Club to the National Right to Life Committee.

While these nonprofits have always been allowed to lobby for change, in 1959, regulators opened the door to political activity by interpreting “exclusively” to mean that groups had to be “primarily” engaged in social welfare and helping the community.

But regulators never defined exactly how they would measure this balance. Part of the reason, said Marcus Owens, a former head of the IRS division overseeing nonprofits, is because the IRS didn’t want to limit what it could evaluate in deciding what was political activity.

However, the lack of clarity has created a unique type of organization when it comes to politics — chief among those differences being what the public must be told about these nonprofits’ donors.

More: The Rules That Govern 501(c)(4)s | Big Money 2012 | FRONTLINE | PBS by Emma Schwartz

TaxAlmanac - A free online tax research resource and community - Treasury Regulations, Subchapter A, Sec. 1.501(c)(4)-1

What's your point?

That if the REGULATION is changed to adhere to the LAW..political 501c might be a thing of the past.

:clap2:

It would appear that my gut feelings were quite correct when I said, several times, that these low level employees had their bosses' permission.

Four Cincy IRS workers, not two, allegedly connected to scandal - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

One of FOX19's two sources went on say that these four IRS workers claim "they simply did what their bosses ordered". Keep in mind, as FOX19 reported on Tuesday, the report by the Office of Inspector General states that senior IRS officials knew agents were targeting Tea Party groups as early as 2011.

In fact, according to that report, Lois Lerner who heads the IRS division that oversees tax exempt organizations, was told on June 29, 2011 that groups with 'Tea Party', 'Patriot' or '9/12 Project' in their names were being flagged for additional, and often burdensome, scrutiny.

While the IRS is pointing at 'two rogue employees', the number of organizations that were singled out has swelled to nearly 500, according to Rep. Congressmen Darryl Issa and Ohio's Jim Jordan.

FOX News is also reporting that at least two Cincinnati agents have been subpoenaed to testify before congress on Monday.

And?

Just who were the "bosses"?

This ought to be good!

(Can you say, Doug Shulman! :smoke: )

Douglas Shulman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SPIN SPIN SPIN...

you see how these people care about the Obama administration and their ABUSE OF POWER?

spin spin spin for them

I'd like to think that is true.

Sadly when IRS officials tell us that they were ordered to scrutinize RW groups more carefully than everyone else?

Well...we sort of have to at least CHECK to see if that is true.

I suspect we still need to hear more about this story.

you have to feel for the Democrats sheep base...their dear leader is just as IF not MORE corrupt and crooked than the Republicans they always accuse..

my heart bleeds PURPLE KOOL-AID for them

Obama could be a stand up guy and STEP DOWN over all this, but we know better...they think they are all ABOVE the laws we the people have to follow..and with people like the op, we see why

What I find amazing.

That the very groups that denounce the government as evil and hate the IRS are wondering why the IRS wasn't bending over backwards to accept their application for tax exempt status.

It's like going to a resturant, complaining about how the waitress is fat and the food is awful and wondering why you don't get good service.

Liberal 501 (c) (4) applications were expedited. You have hundreds of conservative groups complaining that they received unusual scrutiny. You don't hear many Democrats up in arms, now do you?

They feel that because the teaparty is comprised of religious whackos, they should be tax exempt like a church.

What I find amazing.

That the very groups that denounce the government as evil and hate the IRS are wondering why the IRS wasn't bending over backwards to accept their application for tax exempt status.

It's like going to a restaurant, complaining about how the waitress is fat and the food is awful and wondering why you don't get good service.

That has to be the worst analogy I've ever seen.

It's like going to a restaurant with a few buddies of yours, you hear that this restaurant is known for its good food. But suddenly as you wait in line ahead of some women, you are told to move to the back of the line so these women can be served first. Miffed at that fact, you and your buddies move to avoid causing a scene. Still hungry, you and the guys place your order and insist that the restaurant explain themselves for their sexist behavior. You get no response from the waiter. You are seated and told to wait for your food, you look around and the women who were moved ahead of you have already been served. A hour later, after these women have eaten their fill and departed; you are finally given what you ordered. You ask the waiter as you give your check, "Why were we moved behind those women earlier? And why were those women served before us? I demand to see your manager!"

The manager arrives and bluntly says, "You are men, and you smell bad, you deserve to wait while more desirable customers are served."

Last edited:

THREE?... 3???

298 groups for special scrutiny, according to a congressional aide with knowledge of the report.
Seventy-two had “tea party” in their title, while 13 had “patriot” and 11 had “9/12,” the aide said.
Lingering questions about the IRS targeting of conservative groups

3 versus 298???

What am I thinking? anti-logic,anti-conservatives have very little skills when it comes to simple arithmetic..
Couple of illustrations where they are very lacking..

Obama has said:"we reduce health care cost[$2.5 trillion] by 1/10th of one percent we can reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the long term!"
Obama never figured out that at $2.5 billion (1/10th of $2.5 trillion) reduction per year that is 1,600 "LONG TERM YEARS!

Obama also said:"We are not a nation that accepts nearly 46 million uninsured men, women and children,"
46 Million Uninsured: A Look Behind The Number : NPR

Again Obama didn't check with the Census where they count 10 million of uninsured as "NON-CITIZENS". He also didn't care to recognize 14 million counted as uninsured NEED ONLY register with Medicaid and they are covered. He counted 18 million "uninsured" that could afford (make over $50,000) but don't need,(under 34 yrs) and spend less then $1,000 a year on health services..less then what their employers insurance costs.. yet he counted them. They don't want it.
That leaves 4 million truly uninsured.

Truly a sad day when simple math confuses the Chief Executive officer of the United States!

None of these political groups posing as non-political groups should be getting 501c status. Period.

Liberal 501 (c) (4) applications were expedited. You have hundreds of conservative groups complaining that they received unusual scrutiny. You don't hear many Democrats up in arms, now do you?

Maybe because they recognize that these applications SHOULD be scrutinized.

Getting a tax exemption SHOULD be a difficult process for an organization. It's only fair to those of us who do pay our taxes and have to fill out sixteen forms on our income.

What I find amazing.

It's like going to a restaurant, complaining about how the waitress is fat and the food is awful and wondering why you don't get good service.

That has to be the worst analogy I've ever seen.

It's like going to a restaurant with a few buddies of yours, you hear that this restaurant is known for its good food. But suddenly as you wait in line ahead of some women, you are told to move to the back of the line so these women can be served first. Miffed at that fact, you and your buddies move to avoid causing a scene. Still hungry, you and the guys place your order and insist that the restaurant explain themselves for their sexist behavior. You get no response from the waiter. You are seated and told to wait for your food, you look around and the women who were moved ahead of you have already been served. A hour later, after these women have eaten their fill and departed; you are finally given what you ordered. You ask the waiter as you give your check, "Why were were moved behind those women earlier? And why were those women served before us? I demand to see your manager!"

The manager arrives and bluntly says, "You are men, and you smell bad, you deserve to wait while more desirable customers are served."

Hmmm.... why do I get the feeling that you were kept waiting in line at a hot club while some hot babes were moved to the front of the line because they were like, hot.

I think your misogyny is coming into clearer focus.

It should be pointed out that when a group calls itself "Taxed Enough Already" insists that IT deserves a tax exemption, that really ought to be looked at.

Maybe because they recognize that these applications SHOULD be scrutinized.

Getting a tax exemption SHOULD be a difficult process for an organization. It's only fair to those of us who do pay our taxes and have to fill out sixteen forms on our income.

Uh no. Not when Liberal groups got through just fine. What you encourage is political and religious discrimination. Don't try to justify this. You will fail.

Forum List

Back