IRS to pay $70M in employee bonuses

One thing the President doesn't lack is "guts".

The Osama Bin Laden liquidation should have been a good indication of that.

Sending US Marines to kill the world's most wanted man takes 'guts'?

:cuckoo:

Yeah..actually it does.

Aside from the fact it will solidify you as a target for Al Qaeda, for the rest of the time they exist, in reprisal - It was a HUGE risk. As the operation that Jimmy Carter approved showed, this sort of thing, when it fails, almost assures that failure will be attached, and rightly so, to the Commander in Chief.

It's surprising you don't know this stuff.

Only a massive pussy would NOT support taking out the world's most wanted man. Doing the obviously right thing does not require guts, just common sense.

Oh gosh..did you really post that?

Additionally..government funds go into the private hands by way of 401K accounts.

Bet you didn't know that either.

:doubt:

"...government funds go into the private hands by way of 401K accounts."

Really? How does that work?

Government employees get 401k accounts.

That's part of the reason, by the way, for TARP. In addition to the fact that AIG provides a great deal of insurance coverage for the government.

Well, no, federal government employees do not get "401K" accounts. They have a similar program called the "Thrift Savings Plan" which does not fall under IRS control; it is under 5 U.S.C. 8433, Chapter III.

Since federal government employees’ pensions are not insured, I don’t know how that would be related to TARP. And frankly, I don’t know how government employees’ pensions are related to the three unnamed CEO’s that allegedly received bonuses funded by TARP.

I thought there were no unions in the Fed Govt??

Bonus's?? Our tax dollars going for bonuses for Govt workers?? Good Gawd. Whens the last time any of us got a bonus??

Anyone here got a bonus lately??

Bonus's?? Our tax dollars going for bonuses for Govt workers?? Good Gawd. Whens the last time any of us got a bonus??

Federal employees get performance bonus's as well as pay increases based on years of service and grade. It has been part of Civil Service for over 60 years.

The federal government has no union shop agreement with any unions, however, employees may voluntarily join a union for collective bargaining purposes.

Bonus's?? Our tax dollars going for bonuses for Govt workers?? Good Gawd.
Would you prefer the federal government pay everyone the same regardless of performance?
Whens the last time any of us got a bonus??
Its an extremely common practice in the private sector.

I am sure numerous people can say they have. I'm a public sector employee and the answer is no. My brother works in the private sector and performance based bonuses are a big part of his salary. If you'd like employment in a highly competitive job where performance dictates a big part of your pay, I can name several potential careers you should look into. Shall I?

Got to keep those public sector unions happy I guess:cuckoo:

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Internal Revenue Service is about to pay $70 million in employee bonuses despite an Obama administration directive to cancel discretionary bonuses because of automatic spending cuts enacted this year, according to a GOP senator.

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa says his office has learned that the IRS is executing an agreement with the employees' union on Wednesday to pay the bonuses. Grassley says the bonuses should be canceled under an April directive from the White House budget office.

The directive was written by Danny Werfel, a former budget official who has since been appointed acting IRS commissioner.

"The IRS always claims to be short on resources," Grassley said. "But it appears to have $70 million for union bonuses. And it appears to be making an extra effort to give the bonuses despite opportunities to renegotiate with the union and federal instruction to cease discretionary bonuses during sequestration."

The IRS said it is negotiating with the union over the matter but did not dispute Grassley's claim that the bonuses are imminent.

Office of Management and Budget "guidance directs that agencies should not pay discretionary monetary awards at this time, unless legally required," IRS spokeswoman Michelle Eldridge said in a statement. "IRS is under a legal obligation to comply with its collective bargaining agreement, which specifies the terms by which awards are paid to bargaining-unit employees."

My Way News - Senator: IRS to pay $70M in employee bonuses

An employer is making good on an obligation to its employee.

Stop the presses.

Public sector unions idiot..Get it?..so the IRS needs more money but they still give bonuses taken from working people..isn't that nice

Stop the presses.

Public sector unions idiot..Get it?..so the IRS needs more money but they still give bonuses taken from working people..isn't that nice

Conservatives are always bitching about Civil Service and how there is no accountability for performance. Then when they hear about performance bonuses, they bitch....What? I have to pay for performance?

Sending US Marines to kill the world's most wanted man takes 'guts'?

:cuckoo:

Yeah..actually it does.

Aside from the fact it will solidify you as a target for Al Qaeda, for the rest of the time they exist, in reprisal - It was a HUGE risk. As the operation that Jimmy Carter approved showed, this sort of thing, when it fails, almost assures that failure will be attached, and rightly so, to the Commander in Chief.

Only a massive pussy would NOT support taking out the world's most wanted man. Doing the obviously right thing does not require guts, just common sense.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGmnz5Ow-o]Bush: Truly not concerned about bin Laden (short version) - YouTube[/ame]

:eusa_whistle:

"...government funds go into the private hands by way of 401K accounts."

Really? How does that work?

That's part of the reason, by the way, for TARP. In addition to the fact that AIG provides a great deal of insurance coverage for the government.

Well, no, federal government employees do not get "401K" accounts. They have a similar program called the "Thrift Savings Plan" which does not fall under IRS control; it is under 5 U.S.C. 8433, Chapter III.

My bad..it's called something else. Kinda "rose by any other name" thing.

And your point was?

Since federal government employees’ pensions are not insured, I don’t know how that would be related to TARP. And frankly, I don’t know how government employees’ pensions are related to the three unnamed CEO’s that allegedly received bonuses funded by TARP.

Let's see.

The collapse of the market would do what, to those TSP accounts?

Stop the presses.

Taken by working people and given to working people.

That's the whole fucking economy..

Yep. And with only a few months on the job..to boot. It was performance based..and they were pretty impressed.

Your point?

My bad..it's called something else. Kinda "rose by any other name" thing.

And your point was?

Let's see.

The collapse of the market would do what, to those TSP accounts?

So let's review: your point was that government money was given through TARP to fund executive bonuses for these three hypothetical CEO's; you had no evidence of that, so you went on to say that government money went to 401Ks, which turns out not to be true; you implied that the bailout of AIG was related to these government "401Ks" because of the insurance provided to them, which also turned out not to be true; so your final gasp is to claim that public funds went to government TSPs based upon the recovery of the market that you attribute to TARP, as though that was their main goal to save government TSPs rather than support the entire market and financial system to the benefit of the majority of Americans.

Got it. Good job.

Yeah..actually it does.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGmnz5Ow-o]Bush: Truly not concerned about bin Laden (short version) - YouTube[/ame]

:eusa_whistle:

Thanks for making my point.

Stop the presses.

So IRS employees get bonuses based on how many taxpayers they can harass and screw over, how many wages they can garnish, and how many lives they can destroy based on political views-------------wonderful. Welcome to the third reich.

So IRS employees get bonuses based on how many taxpayers they can harass and screw over, how many wages they can garnish, and how many lives they can destroy based on political views-------------wonderful. Welcome to the third reich.

If that is how their performance ratings are based then ....Yes

Are you saying that the IRS should ignore tax cheats?

Stop the presses.

Conservatives are always bitching about Civil Service and how there is no accountability for performance. Then when they hear about performance bonuses, they bitch....What? I have to pay for performance?

It's not pay for performance. It's pay for ideological enforcement and hush money.

If that is how their performance ratings are based then ....Yes

Are you saying that the IRS should ignore tax cheats?

Has the IRS garnished Geithner's wages? All tax cheats should be held accountable, but IRS agents should not get bonuses for doing their jobs. They should certainly not be rewarded for partisan attacks, they should be fired for doing that.

Forum List

Back