🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is a sitting president immune from prosecution?

The supreme court may be asked that question soon, I just can't see a bunch of judges deciding that anyone is above the law. We may safely assume their answer is, Yes, a president can be indicted.

CAN be but will never happen. not in this corrupt country.Not as long as we have this corrupt system we have of demopublicans and reprocrats.I wisely call them that because there is no difference the two parties.It is a ONE PARTY SYSTEM designed to look like two so the sheep think they have a choice in who gets elected plus we dont elect these people the establishment does,whoever they want in gets in. oh and judges are corrupt as well.got news for you,presidents have ALWAYS been above the law.
I reject your argument, there are clear differences in the parties and those differences are getting bigger everyday especially on social issues and how American power should be exercised in the world.

Problem is this is a witch hunt and nothing more.............Politically motivated.

You SHOULD realize that ANY investigation (political or not) is, by definition, a "fishing expedition" or, as you wrongly conclude "a witch hunt".......Otherwise, even the most ignorant of Trump supporters would have to admit that they made a mistake.

Yes they are

Just for grammar sake.....the thread's title states "a sitting president" (SINGULAR).........your response, "Yes they are" kind of smacks of a 5th grader's response, don't you think?......LOL

Sorry I was busy at the time...Trump is immune from prosecution.

and we have a winner.:thup: It has only been 6 months so far so it is too early to come out and judge but every president since Reagan has been an evil corrupt bastard and mass murderer.the sheep are so brainwashed and programmed by the CIA controlled media and our corrupt school system on Reagan,that he was such a great man and great president BECAUSE he was the grandfather of them who got the ball rolling for the destruction of america we have now.that is why there is so much propaganda by the media how great he was since he started it all.

He got the ball rolling for the destruction of america that each president since then has continued and expanded on.they were above the law so anybody that thinks trump is any different is living in a fantasyland.

Problem is this is a witch hunt and nothing more.............Politically motivated.

You SHOULD realize that ANY investigation (political or not) is, by definition, a "fishing expedition" or, as you wrongly conclude "a witch hunt".......Otherwise, even the most ignorant of Trump supporters would have to admit that they made a mistake.
You've been at it nearly a year................show proof.......................

waiting........

The supreme court may be asked that question soon, I just can't see a bunch of judges deciding that anyone is above the law. We may safely assume their answer is, Yes, a president can be indicted.
You are forgetting that the Supreme Court is now Republican.
No I'm not. There is no constitutional argument I can think of that makes a president immune to prosecution. Since Trump may end up forcing the question they will have no choice but to conclude that he is not above the law. They will probably limit who has the legal standing to issue an indictment to special investigators appointed by congress and the AG.

You've been at it nearly a year................show proof.......................

waiting.

Again, just to educate the morons among Trump ass-kisser......

Mueller, who is heading the investigation for criminal and civil infractions WAS APPOINTED ON MAY 17...just over 2 months ago.

Why are Trump nitwits so damn impatient?

No I'm not. There is no constitutional argument I can think of that makes a president immune to prosecution. Since Trump may end up forcing the question they will have no choice but to conclude that he is not above the law. They will probably limit who has the legal standing to issue an indictment to special investigators appointed by congress and the AG.
You are confusing conviction of a crime and pardoning for a crime once convicted.

waiting.

Again, just to educate the morons among Trump ass-kisser......

Mueller, who is heading the investigation for criminal and civil infractions WAS APPOINTED ON MAY 17...just over 2 months ago.

Why are Trump nitwits so damn impatient?
Negates the time frame of ongoing investigations before that now doesn't it..........

On which Comey testified under oath that Trump was NOT UNDER INVESTIGATION and to that point NO COLLUSION WAS FOUND.

So your time line is BS.

What I've been wondering is, what if the President is investigated and it's found that he did something illegal PRIOR to being President--back in his business past--but that he is no longer involved in such dealings. Would he still be impeachable?

I believe ONLY is someone like Trump were to be interviewed (as Clinton was) and LIED about his past misdeeds....even if before his election.

Most likely, Trump would resign out of shame for his previous statements during his campaign....and then faced with evidence that he lied during that campaign.

On which Comey testified under oath that Trump was NOT UNDER INVESTIGATION and to that point NO COLLUSION WAS FOUND.

Moron.....you just DEFUSED your own argument.....

If Comey stated that Trump was NOT under investigation, how can you then ALSo state that an investigation of Trump has been going on for a year???

(But here's a bit of revelation for your half brain....an all out investigation began PRECISELY because Trump fired Comey....so, follow THAT timeline...and maybe apologize.)

You are confusing conviction of a crime and pardoning for a crime once convicted.
No I am talking strictly on criminal indictments, they may strictly limit who can hand down an indictment and where the case goes to trial but the supreme court cannot simply say that the president is immune to prosecution, it would fly in the face of the clear intent of the founders that we are a nation of laws, not men. The republican justices are not so partisan that they would risk what could very well happen if they say the president cannot be touched by the law. Presidential self-pardons are another question.

Trump is immune from prosecution.

If you bother to rad Ken Starr's memo when he was going after Clinton, you'd see that others may think differently.

Thinking that a president can survive while telling people, "I am IMMUNE from prosecution because, as president, I am above the law"....then we're worse off than previously thought.

The reason why the Constitution doesn’t address the issue of a president being subject to criminal prosecution is that the Framers considered it moot – the impeachment process was intended to remove from office a president unfit to be Chief Executive, where a president could be impeached and convicted in the Senate absent alleged criminal wrongdoing.

And if a president were to be impeached because of criminal wrongdoing, he would be subject to prosecution after his removal from office.

What the Framers failed to take into consideration was our current level of toxic hyper-partisanism, where the House would refuse to impeach a president simply because he belongs to the same party – ignoring the fact that impeachment is more than warranted, as is the case with Trump.

As a result, the question as to whether a sitting president can be subject to criminal prosecution is forced into the debate, the consequence of the Republican House failing to fulfill its Constitutional responsibility.

Thinking that a president can survive while telling people, "I am IMMUNE from prosecution because, as president, I am above the law"....then we're worse off than previously thought.

Although Leon Jawarsky left Richard Nixon as an unindicted co-conspirator, even the president should be subject to indictment. The constitution makes two thigs clear, first a sitting president, like members of congress coming and going from congress, aren't subject to arrest. The constitution also clearly says that the president can face charges after impeachment and removal from office.

The law also sets statutes of limitation between the comission of a crime, and when an indictment can be made. A sitting president if he serves for 8 years, would expire the statute of limitations on bribery. one of the named "high crimes" for which the president can be impeached.

11th Circ. Clarifies Statute Of Limitations For Bribery - Law360

The court says the 5 year statute of limitation starts when the bribe is paid.

So the president would have to be indicted within the 5 years to make him ever accountable.

We are not talking here about "simple political fallout" and possible resignation, we are talking about downright prosecution after a grand jury bill of indictment.

The Constitution (like in several other instances) is silent on the issue as to whether a president is above the law, as that law would apply to commoners. However, we have this:

Through the Freedom of Information Act, The New York Times has uncovered a buried memorandum that says otherwise.....that a president MAY NOT be immune from prosecution like commonly presumed......and for that, we have to "thank" Kenneth Starr when he was doggedly after Bill Clinton and who wrote:

“It is proper, constitutional, and legal for a federal grand jury to indict a sitting president for serious criminal acts that are not part of, and are contrary to, the president’s official duties,” ..............“....in this country, no one, even President Clinton, is above the law.”

As Shakespeare wrote, "...the evil that men do lives after them......"

Only if the sitting President in question is a left wing Democrat.

Forum List

Back