Is belief an intentional act?

Babies are born not believing in anything. So yes, belief is an intentional act.

THREAD CLOSED.

A baby told you that? Or is it just something you believe?
Until you can prove that they are born believing something, you have nothing. And what would be the universal thing that babies are born believing?
Until you can prove that they are born believing something, you have nothing. And what would be the universal thing that babies are born believing?

your world view does not include the metaphysical origin beings appear from at birth as a continuation of previous events. believing in that regard is superfluous to the actual state of affairs. certainty at birth is not intentional but is alterable as proven through evolution and the change would be intentional. good or bad. is the problem.

Babies are born not believing in anything. So yes, belief is an intentional act.

THREAD CLOSED.

No. But I didn't claim they did, you claimed they didn't. I don't accept your claim without proof. I do know every child I have ever met old enough to communicate readily accepted belief.

I have no proof that babies are born with the ability to speak. I don't consider that proof that speech is not innate to humans.

save a few, reproductive rights for women your diatribe is the result of christian values including nazi germany derived from their forged christian bible as a primary source of evil on earth. your bible so why are you so unwilling to correct the errors you continue to embrace yourself. broken record.

the other desert religions as the same.

Makes it any sense what you wrote here?

funny how you go on about your forged christian bible but are illiterate when the failings you abide by are clarified by recorded history. in what century has your religion not been at the forefront of persecution and victimization of the innocent ...

THREAD CLOSED.

No. But I didn't claim they did, you claimed they didn't. I don't accept your claim without proof. I do know every child I have ever met old enough to communicate readily accepted belief.

I have no proof that babies are born with the ability to speak. I don't consider that proof that speech is not innate to humans.
Not the same as believing in an invisible being that hasn't been proven to exist.

THREAD CLOSED.

Not the same as believing in an invisible being that hasn't been proven to exist.

Lack of evidence is lack of evidence. Human beings are clearly believers, babies are human beings, so it is only logical to accept that babies are believers. Just because they can't communicate that does not mean it isn't happening.

THREAD CLOSED.

Lack of evidence is lack of evidence. Human beings are clearly believers, babies are human beings, so it is only logical to accept that babies are believers. Just because they can't communicate that does not mean it isn't happening.
Humans aren't clearly believers. As we evolve, we're actually believing less in myth and fairy tales.

Humans aren't clearly believers. As we evolve, we're actually believing less in myth and fairy tales.

Really? Upon what do you base that? Frankly, I can't drive a half mile without passing a church, synagogue or temple. I can't get out of my neighborhood without seeing a sign supporting this politician or that. None of those politicians stand a chance of getting elected unless they purport to believing this piece of nonsense or that. I see no indication we are believing any less now than before.

Really? Upon what do you base that? Frankly, I can't drive a half mile without passing a church, synagogue or temple. I can't get out of my neighborhood without seeing a sign supporting this politician or that. None of those politicians stand a chance of getting elected unless they purport to believing this piece of nonsense or that. I see no indication we are believing any less now than before.
The more intelligent people are, the less they believe in the fairy tales of the bible.

I was raised in a family which was Christian and I simply assumed, as a young child, that that is what I was. But when I finally reached an age where I was able to understand what that meant it was clear to me that I was not a Christian. Despite being talked to by many, many people and reading the Bible cover to cover, I have never believed.

However, the first time I read a book on Buddhism, I understand immediately that that was what I believed. Not necessarily all of the details, but the gist of it. I don't mean to say I read and said to myself, "This is cool, I think I'll believe this." I just realized this was the name of what I already believed without ever coming across it before. I never decided to believe, I just did.

So the question to me is whether or not we actually have any control over belief. Has anyone actually sat down and decided that they were going to suddenly start believing that which they did not believe before?
Its a conscious act of faith

The more intelligent people are, the less they believe in the fairy tales of the bible.

And the more they are raised Hindu, the less they believe in the Bible. Christianity is not the only religious belief and religion is not the only belief structure. In addition, I see no evidence that people are getting more intelligent.

I was raised in a family which was Christian and I simply assumed, as a young child, that that is what I was. But when I finally reached an age where I was able to understand what that meant it was clear to me that I was not a Christian. Despite being talked to by many, many people and reading the Bible cover to cover, I have never believed.

However, the first time I read a book on Buddhism, I understand immediately that that was what I believed. Not necessarily all of the details, but the gist of it. I don't mean to say I read and said to myself, "This is cool, I think I'll believe this." I just realized this was the name of what I already believed without ever coming across it before. I never decided to believe, I just did.

So the question to me is whether or not we actually have any control over belief. Has anyone actually sat down and decided that they were going to suddenly start believing that which they did not believe before?
Its a conscious act of faith

Ok. Then make a conscious act to stop believing what you currently believe and, instead, believe in the Norse gods. Just for a week. See if you can actually do it.

And they more they are raised Hindu, the less they believe in the Bible. Christianity is not the only religious belief and religion is not the only belief structure. In addition, I see no evidence that people are getting more intelligent.
2000 years ago when they wrote the bible they hadn’t even invented bumwad. Now we’re smarter than that.

And they more they are raised Hindu, the less they believe in the Bible. Christianity is not the only religious belief and religion is not the only belief structure. In addition, I see no evidence that people are getting more intelligent.
2000 years ago when they wrote the bible they hadn’t even invented bumwad. Now we’re smarter than that.

4500 years ago they were building pyramids and they didn't even have bumwad. I don't think we're smarter.

4500 years ago they were building pyramids and they didn't even have bumwad. I don't think we're smarter.
Putting rocks in a pile. Smarter than you, that’s for sure.

there is no doubt intelligence is becoming more refined for human beings, just in modern times the last 200 years. not necessarily focused in a common manner and in contrast for different regions on the planet, with the down to earth decidedly disappearing.

If I ever met someone who did, then I would certainly have to rethink my position. I just haven't
Yes you have. That would be literally every single christian you have ever met. Not a single one of them believed jesus turned water to wine or rose from the dead, until they were taught this.

If I ever met someone who did, then I would certainly have to rethink my position. I just haven't
Yes you have. That would be literally every single christian you have ever met. Not a single one of them believed jesus turned water to wine or rose from the dead, until they were taught this.
Yo fort funny you adjust your stock portfolio yet?

Yawn

save a few, reproductive rights for women your diatribe is the result of christian values including nazi germany derived from their forged christian bible as a primary source of evil on earth. your bible so why are you so unwilling to correct the errors you continue to embrace yourself. broken record.

the other desert religions as the same.

funny

Besides fuck and gay the most misused word in the USA

how you go on about your forged christian bible

"forged" ... strange word too in context of a canon of books.

but are illiterate

"illiterate" ... unbelesen?

when the failings by

"Wenn die dadurch verursachten Mängel"

you abide

die du erträgst

are clarified by recorded history.

von der aufgezeichneten Geschichte berichtigt werden.

in what century has your religion not been at the forefront of persecution and victimization of the innocent ...

In welchem Jahrhundert war deine Religion nicht an erster Front bei der Verfolgung und Opferung Unschuldiger.

Okay I understood what you said. The typcial brainwashed nonsense of the Nazis and the Commies I would say. First of all do you know nothing about me. Second you seem not to have a big idea about the Christian religion and the real history of the last 2000 years.

I guess the big problem which you have is not to see for example Santa Claus, Saint Martin or Saint Francis. You don't know Bernhard from Clairvaux and why Jews often used the name Bernard or Bernhard too. It exist thousands and millions of men like them in history. In most cases no one knows their names any longer. You don't have any idea what it means to lie in the winter on straw and to take care to move as less as possible not to waste energy, because you don't have something to eat. You don't know what it means to see the sun arise after a situation of great danger. You know less than nothing about the giantic civilisatoric work of the men and women of the church, of clerics, nuns, monks and laymen. Sure is in your critics also something true - although I doubt about that you are able to fill your abstracta with real facts. 2000 years are a long time - millions and billions of people are able to make a lot of things wrong too. But firsts of all I would suggest to you to minimize your respectlessness.

Ahhhh… ad hominem. I had a feeling we were approaching that. As I said, not any smarter.

You overestimate yourselve.

Forum List

Back