Is belief an intentional act?

Not sure what the point of this thread is.

Free will is about choices of actions not beliefs.

true, kicking your messiah down the road when convenient is nothing new for you ...
I am a sinner and therefore the author of his suffering. So there’s that.

that was pontius pilate in response to a popular request ... however if that is how you fell, try not sinning. it's not that hard to do.

true, kicking your messiah down the road when convenient is nothing new for you ...

that was pontius pilate in response to a popular request ... however if that is how you fell, try not sinning. it's not that hard to do.
That’s the plan, dipshit.

the religion of antiquity, the plan from the Almighty ... is all there is. remission through triumph.

the religion of antiquity, the plan from the Almighty ... is all there is. remission through triumph.
Everything which occurs, occurs through the grace of God.

maybe you should write a book about it, can't do any worse than the book of forgeries the christian bible ...

I was raised in a family which was Christian and I simply assumed, as a young child, that that is what I was. But when I finally reached an age where I was able to understand what that meant it was clear to me that I was not a Christian. Despite being talked to by many, many people and reading the Bible cover to cover, I have never believed.

However, the first time I read a book on Buddhism, I understand immediately that that was what I believed. Not necessarily all of the details, but the gist of it. I don't mean to say I read and said to myself, "This is cool, I think I'll believe this." I just realized this was the name of what I already believed without ever coming across it before. I never decided to believe, I just did.

So the question to me is whether or not we actually have any control over belief. Has anyone actually sat down and decided that they were going to suddenly start believing that which they did not believe before?
humans are brainwashed when they are kids, by religion

maybe you should write a book about it, can't do any worse than the book of forgeries the christian bible ...
Over 24,000 written manuscripts say otherwise.

I was raised in a family which was Christian and I simply assumed, as a young child, that that is what I was. But when I finally reached an age where I was able to understand what that meant it was clear to me that I was not a Christian. Despite being talked to by many, many people and reading the Bible cover to cover, I have never believed.

However, the first time I read a book on Buddhism, I understand immediately that that was what I believed. Not necessarily all of the details, but the gist of it. I don't mean to say I read and said to myself, "This is cool, I think I'll believe this." I just realized this was the name of what I already believed without ever coming across it before. I never decided to believe, I just did.

So the question to me is whether or not we actually have any control over belief. Has anyone actually sat down and decided that they were going to suddenly start believing that which they did not believe before?

Well, we all have to believe something. Interesting you believe what is objectively untrue.

Well, we all have to believe something. Interesting you believe what is objectively untrue.
you are like sheep......brainwashed

Does that include 9/11 and the Holocaust? If so, then the Jews got a raw deal as God's Chosen.

If that makes you feel better. It doesn't change the fact (and I do mean fact) that what you believe is objectively untrue. But I understand it does little good to try to explain things to a true believer.

Does that include 9/11 and the Holocaust? If so, then the Jews got a raw deal as God's Chosen.
I don't see how it can't occur through the grace of God if we are to have free will. I believe there is a law of compensation at work. In other words, we are free to do as we wish but the consequences have a way of correcting us.

If that makes you feel better. It doesn't change the fact (and I do mean fact) that what you believe is objectively untrue. But I understand it does little good to try to explain things to a true believer.
fact--what fact???!!!

fact--what fact???!!!

The fact is that what you believe is objectively untrue. It isn't just a guess in the absence of evidence, it's a firmly held belief despite the evidence.

1. Religion is just a word applied to certain human social structures. Religions don't brainwash kids. Their parents, peers, teachers, etc. do.
2. If religion were the cause of belief, then religion would predate belief. That is absurd.
3. Human beings believe all kinds of things. Social, political, fantasy, love. This is not restricted to religious beliefs by any stretch. It is out default position. To think that religion is somehow different just because you don't like it is just another example of how belief driven we are.

But don't worry. I get that you are a true believer and little things like facts aren't going to change your mind.

fact--what fact???!!!

The fact is that what you believe is objectively untrue. It isn't just a guess in the absence of evidence, it's a firmly held belief despite the evidence.

1. Religion is just a word applied to certain human social structures. Religions don't brainwash kids. Their parents, peers, teachers, etc. do.
2. If religion were the cause of belief, then religion would predate belief. That is absurd.
3. Human beings believe all kinds of things. Social, political, fantasy, love. This is not restricted to religious beliefs by any stretch. It is out default position. To think that religion is somehow different just because you don't like it is just another example of how belief driven we are.

But don't worry. I get that you are a true believer and little things like facts aren't going to change your mind.
those are not facts
you're babbling

Been a lot of recent studies that indicate 'religious' type epiphanies are hard-wired into our brains, and responsible for that and creativity and ability for abstraction as well. It obviously has very positive uses both for survival and social progress. It's also clear Christianity is the most highly developed and successful, since it's more human-based and sophisticated enough to handle all possible human attempts to screw it up and automatically adjusts/adapts to existential realities without violating its core logic and theology, so atheists and agnostics should be fine with it as well. The rest of them are pretty weak and dysfunctional in comparison.

We know relying on 'formal logic' is a failure; it's nothing but circular 'reasoning', and 'informal logic', though better, doesn't really provide any answers worth anything either. The 'rational constructionists' just end up believing commie rubbish, a clear dead end and a violent one to boot, since it really is impossible to make 'rational' decisions past a certain level of 'evidence' available, i.e. no way to know all the variables on which to make decisions on, so you're left with the 'intuitive' and 'common sense' types of decisions, based on a solid moral foundation, past experiences, and certainty of principles.

Last edited:

fact--what fact???!!!

Another example of juvenile cynicism without any brains to counteract the whining.

I read some books and figured out that Catholicism would be my religion.

Before that, I was Catholic but did not understand why.

Have you ever changed your mind? Yes? Then belief can be intentional or unintentional.

Forum List

Back