🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Bowe Bergdahl a disgrace to the Uniform he wore?

• Yes. He deserted his post.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • No.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Maybe. I don't consider it desertion.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
An anti-communist ???

Funny if you guys did the least bit of research into this guy's background you'd be surprised.

His father was a devout Christian who home schooled Bowe Bergdhal.

Bergdhal was a fan of Ayn Rand and a Libertarian who fancied himself an "adventurer".

:badgrin:

So? he still is a coward that left his post.

Or maybe he was just ignoring the law in the spirit and manner of conservative folk hero Clive Bundy.

depends who you ask; he's a hero to left-wing nutjobs
most of whom probably never served

Is eagle1462010 a disgrace to Americans everywhere?

I'd say yes since he's convicting without a trial.

There is no such thing as the presumption of innocence in an American military trial, moron.

Really? Then why is the judge at a court martial, under the UCMJ, required to give these instructions to the jury or whatever panel decides the guilt or innocence of the accused?

(5)
A charge that—
(A)
The accused must be presumed to be innocent until the accused’s guilt is established by legal and competent evidence beyond reasonable doubt;
(B)
In the case being considered, if there is a reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the accused, the doubt must be resolved in favor of the accused and the accused must be acquitted;

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/law/mcm.pdf

Page 170

It's just semantics.

The "Presumption of Innocence" in an American military courtroom doesn't mean the same thing that it does in a non-military criminal courtroom.

But I guess you already knew that, too.

An anti-communist ???

Funny if you guys did the least bit of research into this guy's background you'd be surprised.

Bergdhal was a fan of Ayn Rand and a Libertarian who fancied himself an "adventurer".

His post was his greatest source of personal protection. So, how could he be classified as a coward if he walked off the post into hostile territory?

The truth is you do not know what motivated him, and you don't seem to care what the real reason is as long as you can use some reason as a club against him.

As for me, I think that walking away from all that firepower, which just so happens to be every soldier's primary source of personal protection, is more likely a sign of bravery, or foolishness, or craziness, or a death wish of some kind. But it doesn't seem like cowardice to me. But cowardice is the only explanation that fits the way you want to paint him, right? Because all the other reasons wouldn't allow you to assail him like you and so many other conservatives are doing.

No.

Actually, it's American conservatives who don't know all the facts and have condemned Sgt Bergdahl without even giving him a chance to tell his story who are the disgrace. They're modern-day anti-American conservatives who are more likely to take the word of the Taliban than they are to give an American POW the benefit of the doubt.

Would conservatives of the 1970s and 80s be taking this kind of position against an American soldier if the Soviet Union was releasing propaganda statements against an American soldier? I don't think so. How about conservatives of the 1940s when America was fighting Nazis and the Empire of Japan? Would THOSE conservatives take the word of the propaganda apparatus of those totalitarian regimes? I think not. But today is different.

Why? Because it gives them an opportunity to assail a commander-in-chief who's a president not of their choosing. That's why.

Ever hear of E Pluribus Unum? It means "Out of many, ONE! It doesn't just mean people from many countries make the one country that is America. It implies that we, conservatives and liberals, are ALL Americans. Modern-day American conservatives no longer believe that. If you think I'm wrong, recall former Republican VP candidate, Sarah Palin. When she was campaigning for office in 2008, when she went to certain parts of the country which were/are more conservative politically than other parts of the country, Palin referred to these areas as the REAL America. Really, Sarah? I don't remember seeing degrees of citizenship in the US Constitution anywhere. Americans who don't share your views are JUST as American as you are, Sarah. Maybe more so considering most Americans don't flirt with a separatist political party like the Alaskan Independence Party like Sarah's husband, Todd, did who was a member of the AIP from 1995 until 2002.

The modern-day anti-American attitudes and sentiments of the conservative movement is shameful and I call on ALL Americans to renounce that unpatriotic movement.

Let's see, Mustangs opinion ensconced in anti conservative rant......or the statements of everyone he serve with CONFIRMING he walked away from his post....

Gosh this is a tough choice....

Just because Pvt Bergdahl walked OFF his post after his duty in the literally sense of walking away from his post doesn't mean that he deserted his post in the figurative sense of walking away from his post. It's that kind of subtle word choice that can be both literally true but also completely misleading without knowing the context in which it happened and how Pvt Bergdahl came to be captured. But you're attitude is exactly what I'm referring to when I talk about the modern-day anti-American attitude of the conservative movement. Since you've never seen Bergdahl participating in a propaganda video like some POWs did during the Vietnam War, one would think you would accord him at least as much respect as the former American POWs from the Vietnam War received in light of the fact that they were tortured and subjected to harsh living conditions. But at least they had each other. Bergdahl was alone. Now he comes back to a country where many of his harshest critics are conservative Americans who've sat out the war? People like that who have a political agenda should be trusted to define patriotism for the rest of us? Not on your life. Oh, wait, let me guess! Your life and the lives of the conservative radio hosts who are assailing Sgt Bergdahl were never at risk at any point in time during all the years that Sgt Bergdahl was a POW. How do you guys live with yourselves.

As for SOME of the men who formerly served with Pvt Bergdahl, I suggest that they don't have any idea what happened to Bergdahl after he walked off his post because they weren't with him. Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that they engaged in speculation. Having served myself, I know a little bit about scuttlebutt in the military because it's rampant at every duty station. But those men are NOW being exploited and used by the very same anti-American conservatives who don't care about THEIR service any more than they care about Sgt Bergdahl. They're all pawns as far as conservatives are concerned, and those men would find themselves subjected to similar attacks if and when they ever went on the record to change their stories.

Bah, blah blah blah blah blah blah.

He walked off of his post while on duty ACCORDING to those there serving with him.

YOU are again....let's see MUSTANG'S speculation, or the word of ALL those guys there who served with him.

You lose.

This is is just a poll thread to see where people stand by the numbers.

No one wants to wait for the Article 32 Hearing results?

This is a hot topic because Obama released 5 high level Taliban for this Deserter. He broke the laws passed by Congress to prevent this.

So we just released some bad guys. I'd like to know for what. And it looks to me like a Deserter. That isn't a good deal.

He left his post. Period. His fellow soldiers are throwing him under a Greyhound bus. So my opinion is he is a deserter.

As far as the Article 32 they may White Wash it with a Kangaroo Court because of Obama's decision.

Let's see, Mustangs opinion ensconced in anti conservative rant......or the statements of everyone he serve with CONFIRMING he walked away from his post....

Gosh this is a tough choice....

Just because Pvt Bergdahl walked OFF his post after his duty in the literally sense of walking away from his post doesn't mean that he deserted his post in the figurative sense of walking away from his post. It's that kind of subtle word choice that can be both literally true but also completely misleading without knowing the context in which it happened and how Pvt Bergdahl came to be captured. But you're attitude is exactly what I'm referring to when I talk about the modern-day anti-American attitude of the conservative movement. Since you've never seen Bergdahl participating in a propaganda video like some POWs did during the Vietnam War, one would think you would accord him at least as much respect as the former American POWs from the Vietnam War received in light of the fact that they were tortured and subjected to harsh living conditions. But at least they had each other. Bergdahl was alone. Now he comes back to a country where many of his harshest critics are conservative Americans who've sat out the war? People like that who have a political agenda should be trusted to define patriotism for the rest of us? Not on your life. Oh, wait, let me guess! Your life and the lives of the conservative radio hosts who are assailing Sgt Bergdahl were never at risk at any point in time during all the years that Sgt Bergdahl was a POW. How do you guys live with yourselves.

As for SOME of the men who formerly served with Pvt Bergdahl, I suggest that they don't have any idea what happened to Bergdahl after he walked off his post because they weren't with him. Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that they engaged in speculation. Having served myself, I know a little bit about scuttlebutt in the military because it's rampant at every duty station. But those men are NOW being exploited and used by the very same anti-American conservatives who don't care about THEIR service any more than they care about Sgt Bergdahl. They're all pawns as far as conservatives are concerned, and those men would find themselves subjected to similar attacks if and when they ever went on the record to change their stories.

He walked off of his post while on duty ACCORDING to those there serving with him.

YOU are again....let's see MUSTANG'S speculation, or the word of ALL those guys there who served with him.

You lose.

Previously, the story was that he walked off the post AFTER his duty shift was over. How long will it be before the story is that he left the post while it was under fire?

You lose.

Previously, the story was that he walked off the post AFTER his duty shift was over. How long will it be before the story is that he left the post while it was under fire?

you are making a fool of yourself. obviously you have never spent a day in a military uniform; unless it was Halloween; certainly not in the modern era. you don't walk away from your post under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE; an you never leave your weapon behind either

The taliban did not come and kidnap him. He walked away from his post in a combat area. He is a deserter, period.

There is no such thing as the presumption of innocence in an American military trial, moron.

Really? Then why is the judge at a court martial, under the UCMJ, required to give these instructions to the jury or whatever panel decides the guilt or innocence of the accused?

(5)
A charge that—
(A)
The accused must be presumed to be innocent until the accused’s guilt is established by legal and competent evidence beyond reasonable doubt;
(B)
In the case being considered, if there is a reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the accused, the doubt must be resolved in favor of the accused and the accused must be acquitted;

Page 170

It's just semantics.

The "Presumption of Innocence" in an American military courtroom doesn't mean the same thing that it does in a non-military criminal courtroom.

But I guess you already knew that, too.

Oh really? The actual text of the actual UCMJ that states in as unequivocal language as can be rendered that the accused is innocent until proven guilty is 'semantics'?

funny stuff.

This is is just a poll thread to see where people stand by the numbers.

No one wants to wait for the Article 32 Hearing results?

This is a hot topic because Obama released 5 high level Taliban for this Deserter. He broke the laws passed by Congress to prevent this.

So we just released some bad guys. I'd like to know for what. And it looks to me like a Deserter. That isn't a good deal.

He left his post. Period. His fellow soldiers are throwing him under a Greyhound bus. So my opinion is he is a deserter.

As far as the Article 32 they may White Wash it with a Kangaroo Court because of Obama's decision.

So...you are already coming up with excuses.....

(5)
A charge that—
(A)
(B)

Page 170

I don't think "sharkie" knows about the UCMJ and the military.

An anti-communist ???

Coward?

That's the last thing that comes to my mind.

Even if you guys are right.

He stripped off his weapons and wandered off into a real live war zone.

That's sounds more crazy then cowardly.

But he had the balls to go through basic and get deployed. And he tried to escape the Taliban.

This isn't a coward.

You lose.

you are making a fool of yourself. obviously you have never spent a day in a military uniform; unless it was Halloween; certainly not in the modern era. you don't walk away from your post under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE; an you never leave your weapon behind either

It's you that's making the fool of yourself.

He was off shift.

wonder if HE has ever served in a combat outpost in the middle of nowhere much less ANY combat outpost? :eusa_think:

Bergdahl should be courtmartialed. He may have finished his shift but that did not mean that he could do whatever he wanted. He abandoned his duty post on the battlefield. The post was a forward operating base.

From the emails sent to his parents before he left it is clear that he intended to desert. The men serving with him know he deserted. From the letters sent home after desertion he had no regrets about his desertion.

Put him on trial in a military court and give him an appropriate punishment.

Bergdahl should be courtmartialed. He may have finished his shift but that did not mean that he could do whatever he wanted. He abandoned his duty post on the battlefield. The post was a forward operating base.

From the emails sent to his parents before he left it is clear that he intended to desert. The men serving with him know he deserted. From the letters sent home after desertion he had no regrets about his desertion.

Put him on trial in a military court and give him an appropriate punishment.

You guys just making this up as you go along?

The military never counted him as "deserted".

At best? He went AWOL.

Forum List

Back