Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Christianity Right About Women?

Is Christianity Right About Women?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
So far, 54.5% of the people here think the bible is right that women were made from a man's rib. No wonder our country is so fucked up.

So far, 54.5% of the people here think the bible is right that women were made from a man's rib. No wonder our country is so fucked up.

Let me guess... you believe there are 73 genders?

Please enlighten this Christian women as to the teachings of the Bible about me. As you see it.

Christianity is big on Original Sin by Adam, but blames Eve as the source of temptation.

{...
The Protestant Reformation
Martin Luther (1483–1546) asserted that humans inherit Adamic guilt and are in a state of sin from the moment of conception. The second article in Lutheranism's Augsburg Confession presents its doctrine of original sin in summary form:

It is also taught among us that since the fall of Adam all men who are born according to the course of nature are conceived and born in sin. That is, all men are full of evil lust and inclinations from their mothers' wombs and are unable by nature to have true fear of God and true faith in God. Moreover, this inborn sickness and hereditary sin is truly sin and condemns to the eternal wrath of God all those who are not born again through Baptism and the Holy Spirit. Rejected in this connection are the Pelagians and others who deny that original sin is sin, for they hold that natural man is made righteous by his own powers, thus disparaging the sufferings and merit of Christ.[64]

Luther, however, also agreed with the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception (that Mary was conceived free from original sin) by saying:

[Mary] is full of grace, proclaimed to be entirely without sin. God's grace fills her with everything good and makes her devoid of all evil. God is with her, meaning that all she did or left undone is divine and the action of God in her. Moreover, God guarded and protected her from all that might be hurtful to her.[65]

Protestant Reformer John Calvin (1509–1564) developed a systematic theology of Augustinian Protestantism by interpretation of Augustine of Hippo's notion of original sin. Calvin believed that humans inherit Adamic guilt and are in a state of sin from the moment of conception. This inherently sinful nature (the basis for the Calvinistic doctrine of "total depravity") results in a complete alienation from God and the total inability of humans to achieve reconciliation with God based on their own abilities. Not only do individuals inherit a sinful nature due to Adam's fall, but since he was the federal head and representative of the human race, all whom he represented inherit the guilt of his sin by imputation. Redemption by Jesus Christ is the only remedy.

John Calvin defined original sin in his Institutes of the Christian Religion as follows:

Original sin, therefore, seems to be a hereditary depravity and corruption of our nature, diffused into all parts of the soul, which first makes us liable to God's wrath, then also brings forth in us those works which Scripture calls "works of the flesh" (Gal 5:19). And that is properly what Paul often calls sin. The works that come forth from it – such as adulteries, fornications, thefts, hatreds, murders, carousings – he accordingly calls "fruits of sin" (Gal 5:19–21), although they are also commonly called "sins" in Scripture, and even by Paul himself.
...}

Original sin - Wikipedia

So you basically have jack from the Bible, as Sue asked, and just have a lot of "Humans behaved badly, so therefore . . ."

A quote from the Bible means nothing. First of all it has been translated, so you can be sure of it, it also is written much later, so is suspect for that reason, and finally, you need to know what the common interpretations are, not just your personal one. Which is what I gave, the most common interpretations of the Bible. Lots of Christians believe woman are the source of original sin corruption, and therefore can not be allowed too much freedom or power.
Christianity is against female rights.

I just heard, "Blah blah blah, EXCUSES WHY YOU SHOULD JUDGE CHRISTIANITY BY PEOPLE INSTEAD OF THE BIBLE!"

I judge everyone by their actions, not by whatever rules they proclaim to follow. This is the usual standard, of course you don't do that with Christians, because you want to find them bad.. therefore you must say, yes they treat women and everyone around well, but HAVE YOU SEEN THE TEXT?

Further, someone completely clueless like yourself has no business attempting to dictate what it is the bible says.

You spend a lot of time dodging the point while trying to justify your religious bigotry as "being a good person". I'm just very glad I'm not in your position of having to be you the rest of your life.

The question isn't how you judge people - although I will point out that it's not your place to judge anyone, both Biblically and practicallly speaking - but judging Christianity by people. And frankly, the moment your hypocritical, self-rationalizing ass came out with "Christianity is bad because look at all these people and how they interpreted it, but we can't look to the Bible at all because that's just people's interpretations, and interpretations are worthless (unless they're the ones I want to use)", you became beneath contempt and unworthy of my time and recognition.

Your hatred is noted, your opinions on Christianity are valued for exactly what they're worth, and your bigoted ass is spat upon as it deserves. Dismissed.

No, just 3.

of course----there are STEM CELLS in bone marrow------ya can make anything ----
the question is----is a HUMAN STEM CELL "life"????
Isn't it a little early for you to be hitting the Manischewitz?

No, just 3.

of course----there are STEM CELLS in bone marrow------ya can make anything ----
the question is----is a HUMAN STEM CELL "life"????
Isn't it a little early for you to be hitting the Manischewitz?

never too early-----red wine provides all kinds a' antioxidants----but it is also
provides tyramine which gives me a headache-----which is VERY responsive to
ibuprofen

I just heard, "Blah blah blah, EXCUSES WHY YOU SHOULD JUDGE CHRISTIANITY BY PEOPLE INSTEAD OF THE BIBLE!"

The irony here is that even the OP has admitted that women are treated better because Christians do not follow their bible

I am still waiting to here about how badly I am treated as a Christian woman and where this is spelled out in the Bible for Christians.

The irony here is that even the OP has admitted that women are treated better because Christians do not follow their bible

I am still waiting to here about how badly I am treated as a Christian woman and where this is spelled out in the Bible for Christians.

I will help-------remember those pastel colored nylon dresses for little girls? ---
and white gloves? Were you forced to dress up like that as a little girl on
EASTER?

One of the great problems with Christianity through the centuries is that it has relied on male writers who wrote of women in an objectifying manner, as if we were some foreign group, and these writings were passed down in a centuries-long game of telephone. Women were not taught to read and write until many centuries later, so there were no female voices to balance it out. This allowed outrages like Tertullian writing that a woman was like a temple built upon a sewer. I can't imagine a female writer getting away with declaring that a man is like a temple built upon a sewer, much less being honored as a great thinker.

A large group of Christians still treats women as "the other," some species of hamster, perhaps. Male Christian leaders still prance around making sweeping declarations about women and actually telling us who and what we are; telling us what our "nature" is. This is why in some Christian sects, women still have to be ordained on boats in international waters. Other Christians have overcome their arrogance and made advances to desegregate and unite as a community.

Forum List

Back