Is Christianity Right About Women?

Is Christianity Right About Women?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Which Christian nation would this be?

There is no such thing as a Christian nation.

Is there such a thing as a Jewish nation? (Hint: You wouldn't want to be anti-Semitic).

Of course there are Christian nations. That would be half of Europe, especially nations like Vatican. Unlike the USA, European nations have official religion, and that religion is Christianity. Get educated.

A Christian nation would be a theocracy ruled by the church. There is no such nation. The reason that women are treated well in this country is because our laws go against the teaching of the Christian religion in regards to women.

Please enlighten this Christian women as to the teachings of the Bible about me. As you see it.

Christianity is big on Original Sin by Adam, but blames Eve as the source of temptation.

{...
The Protestant Reformation
Martin Luther (1483–1546) asserted that humans inherit Adamic guilt and are in a state of sin from the moment of conception. The second article in Lutheranism's Augsburg Confession presents its doctrine of original sin in summary form:

It is also taught among us that since the fall of Adam all men who are born according to the course of nature are conceived and born in sin. That is, all men are full of evil lust and inclinations from their mothers' wombs and are unable by nature to have true fear of God and true faith in God. Moreover, this inborn sickness and hereditary sin is truly sin and condemns to the eternal wrath of God all those who are not born again through Baptism and the Holy Spirit. Rejected in this connection are the Pelagians and others who deny that original sin is sin, for they hold that natural man is made righteous by his own powers, thus disparaging the sufferings and merit of Christ.[64]

Luther, however, also agreed with the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception (that Mary was conceived free from original sin) by saying:

[Mary] is full of grace, proclaimed to be entirely without sin. God's grace fills her with everything good and makes her devoid of all evil. God is with her, meaning that all she did or left undone is divine and the action of God in her. Moreover, God guarded and protected her from all that might be hurtful to her.[65]

Protestant Reformer John Calvin (1509–1564) developed a systematic theology of Augustinian Protestantism by interpretation of Augustine of Hippo's notion of original sin. Calvin believed that humans inherit Adamic guilt and are in a state of sin from the moment of conception. This inherently sinful nature (the basis for the Calvinistic doctrine of "total depravity") results in a complete alienation from God and the total inability of humans to achieve reconciliation with God based on their own abilities. Not only do individuals inherit a sinful nature due to Adam's fall, but since he was the federal head and representative of the human race, all whom he represented inherit the guilt of his sin by imputation. Redemption by Jesus Christ is the only remedy.

John Calvin defined original sin in his Institutes of the Christian Religion as follows:

Original sin, therefore, seems to be a hereditary depravity and corruption of our nature, diffused into all parts of the soul, which first makes us liable to God's wrath, then also brings forth in us those works which Scripture calls "works of the flesh" (Gal 5:19). And that is properly what Paul often calls sin. The works that come forth from it – such as adulteries, fornications, thefts, hatreds, murders, carousings – he accordingly calls "fruits of sin" (Gal 5:19–21), although they are also commonly called "sins" in Scripture, and even by Paul himself.
...}

Original sin - Wikipedia

So you basically have jack from the Bible, as Sue asked, and just have a lot of "Humans behaved badly, so therefore . . ."

The snowflakes in the "Is Islam Right About Women" thread complained that they can not vote, because the poll unfairly targeted only one religion. Particularly the big boogeyman Christianity was left out.

So at a popular leftist request, here it is. A thread regarding Christianity.

My personal opinion is that Christianity treats women extremely well. In no Christian nation are women treated poorly or neglected. In fact I am quite certain that Christian nations treat women better than they are treated anywhere else. Devout Christian women are among the happiest, fulfilling the most important part of human life, procreation and caring for our children. Very important, decent and productive people.

No Christianity does not have it right about women. Christianity spends way too much time and effort on controlling women's sexuality, and enforcing gender roles, instead of teaching men to respect women. All too often Christianity tells women to tolerate beatings and abuse by their husbands. A Christian "family values" website defines "adultery" as sex between a man and a woman who is married or engaged. If the man is married and the woman is single, there is no adultery.

The evangelical right has a morbid fascination with clinical virginity, that is emotionally unhealthy for young women - basically telling them that if they're not a virgin at marriage, they have no value. This message was around when I was growing up, but chastity ceremonies where teen girls pledge to their fathers to remain virgins until they marry, are downright creepy. It's also lead to a huge increase in oral and anal sex among high school girls in Christian communities. The law of unintended consequences. When I was growing up, even the "easy" girls who didn't care about their reputations, would never have done anything as disgusting as anal sex.

Many Christian sects restrict women's roles in leadership, both as a pastor, and in other leadership roles, and believe that women should be subjugated to men. They believe that using birth control is a "sin" and that all sex must be allowed to lead to procreation, making women slave to their biology. This is no different than Muslims.

The Left's creepy hatred of Christianity is getting worse and is a harbinger, brothers and sisters. But you knew this.

Get ready

There certainly are a lot of good things about Christianity, but there also are a lot of bad things historically that were Christian movements.
For the bad, there was Prohibition, sexuality laws, imperialism, colonialism, evil Mideast wars and invasions, the War on Drugs, etc.
And that is without going back to slavery, Puritanism, burning witches, etc.

Definitely every single one of those was a Christian invention

Dopey dopey dopety dope

The Left's creepy hatred of Christianity is getting worse and is a harbinger, brothers and sisters. But you knew this.

Get ready

I don't hate Christianity. But I have a low opinion of evangelical right-wing Christianity, which is not a religion, but a political movement disguised as religion. Religious leaders should be dealing with your spiritual life, not politics. Period.

You don't have the first clue about my church or my religion. But sweetheart, know this. I understand yours like the back of my proverbial hand. It is more Fundamentalist than any Christian church I have ever stepped in, ever. It is full of judgmental moralizers, just like you, and is very cult-like in its operation. Don't doubt that for a minute.

We evangelicals go to church in small part to escape moralising, uptight judgmentals like you.

Your entire first paragraph called my church a cult, and you don't even know what denomination my church is. You're the queen of moralizing, uptight judgementals.

When Jesus was asked about the Romans, and how to fight them, His response was "My kingdom is not of this world.", and he made a point of not speaking out against Roman occupation, Roman taxes (render unto Cesar). Jesus stayed out of politics even though Israel had been conquered by the Romans and was a Roman territory. Judas betrayed Jesus because Jesus refused to use his popularity to rally the Jewish people against the Romans.

Jesus stayed right out of politics. Evangelical ministers should tend to the spiritual lives of their flocks, and do the same.

That is not at all a correct view of history.
The Romans did not invade and conquer a Jewish country.
The Seleucids were the successors to the empire of Alexander the Great, and it was Rome that established the Jewish Hasmoneans as their puppets, after they had invaded. For example, Herod was a Roman who simply converted to Judaism so that he could play both roles.

But otherwise I agree religions should not involve themselves in politics unless there is strong abuse of individual rights.

Religions should not involve themselves in politics.

Is this only for white countries or for Jews and Muslims as well? Jewish influence should have nothing to do with policy of Israel?

In all countries, religious groups should not involve themselves in politics, because politics should be concerned with the equality of all religions and not just one.

The policies of Israel should be to maximize the individual rights of all people and all religions that happen to be there.
There should never be a case where the rights of anyone were deliberately harmed by the government unless it was necessary in order to defend the rights of others from unlawful attacks.
If Israel promotes any one religion, that would be illegal because the government as to be a public servant to all of them equally, regardless of number.

There is no such thing as a Christian nation.

Is there such a thing as a Jewish nation? (Hint: You wouldn't want to be anti-Semitic).

Of course there are Christian nations. That would be half of Europe, especially nations like Vatican. Unlike the USA, European nations have official religion, and that religion is Christianity. Get educated.

A Christian nation would be a theocracy ruled by the church. There is no such nation. The reason that women are treated well in this country is because our laws go against the teaching of the Christian religion in regards to women.

Please enlighten this Christian women as to the teachings of the Bible about me. As you see it.

Christianity is big on Original Sin by Adam, but blames Eve as the source of temptation.

{...
Martin Luther (1483–1546) asserted that humans inherit Adamic guilt and are in a state of sin from the moment of conception. The second article in Lutheranism's Augsburg Confession presents its doctrine of original sin in summary form:

It is also taught among us that since the fall of Adam all men who are born according to the course of nature are conceived and born in sin. That is, all men are full of evil lust and inclinations from their mothers' wombs and are unable by nature to have true fear of God and true faith in God. Moreover, this inborn sickness and hereditary sin is truly sin and condemns to the eternal wrath of God all those who are not born again through Baptism and the Holy Spirit. Rejected in this connection are the Pelagians and others who deny that original sin is sin, for they hold that natural man is made righteous by his own powers, thus disparaging the sufferings and merit of Christ.[64]

Luther, however, also agreed with the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception (that Mary was conceived free from original sin) by saying:

[Mary] is full of grace, proclaimed to be entirely without sin. God's grace fills her with everything good and makes her devoid of all evil. God is with her, meaning that all she did or left undone is divine and the action of God in her. Moreover, God guarded and protected her from all that might be hurtful to her.[65]

Protestant Reformer John Calvin (1509–1564) developed a systematic theology of Augustinian Protestantism by interpretation of Augustine of Hippo's notion of original sin. Calvin believed that humans inherit Adamic guilt and are in a state of sin from the moment of conception. This inherently sinful nature (the basis for the Calvinistic doctrine of "total depravity") results in a complete alienation from God and the total inability of humans to achieve reconciliation with God based on their own abilities. Not only do individuals inherit a sinful nature due to Adam's fall, but since he was the federal head and representative of the human race, all whom he represented inherit the guilt of his sin by imputation. Redemption by Jesus Christ is the only remedy.

John Calvin defined original sin in his Institutes of the Christian Religion as follows:

Original sin, therefore, seems to be a hereditary depravity and corruption of our nature, diffused into all parts of the soul, which first makes us liable to God's wrath, then also brings forth in us those works which Scripture calls "works of the flesh" (Gal 5:19). And that is properly what Paul often calls sin. The works that come forth from it – such as adulteries, fornications, thefts, hatreds, murders, carousings – he accordingly calls "fruits of sin" (Gal 5:19–21), although they are also commonly called "sins" in Scripture, and even by Paul himself.
...}

Original sin - Wikipedia

So you basically have jack from the Bible, as Sue asked, and just have a lot of "Humans behaved badly, so therefore . . ."

A quote from the Bible means nothing. First of all it has been translated, so you can be sure of it, it also is written much later, so is suspect for that reason, and finally, you need to know what the common interpretations are, not just your personal one. Which is what I gave, the most common interpretations of the Bible. Lots of Christians believe woman are the source of original sin corruption, and therefore can not be allowed too much freedom or power.
Christianity is against female rights.

The snowflakes in the "Is Islam Right About Women" thread complained that they can not vote, because the poll unfairly targeted only one religion. Particularly the big boogeyman Christianity was left out.

My personal opinion is that Christianity treats women extremely well. In no Christian nation are women treated poorly or neglected. In fact I am quite certain that Christian nations treat women better than they are treated anywhere else. Devout Christian women are among the happiest, fulfilling the most important part of human life, procreation and caring for our children. Very important, decent and productive people.

No Christianity does not have it right about women. Christianity spends way too much time and effort on controlling women's sexuality, and enforcing gender roles, instead of teaching men to respect women. All too often Christianity tells women to tolerate beatings and abuse by their husbands. A Christian "family values" website defines "adultery" as sex between a man and a woman who is married or engaged. If the man is married and the woman is single, there is no adultery.

The evangelical right has a morbid fascination with clinical virginity, that is emotionally unhealthy for young women - basically telling them that if they're not a virgin at marriage, they have no value. This message was around when I was growing up, but chastity ceremonies where teen girls pledge to their fathers to remain virgins until they marry, are downright creepy. It's also lead to a huge increase in oral and anal sex among high school girls in Christian communities. The law of unintended consequences. When I was growing up, even the "easy" girls who didn't care about their reputations, would never have done anything as disgusting as anal sex.

Many Christian sects restrict women's roles in leadership, both as a pastor, and in other leadership roles, and believe that women should be subjugated to men. They believe that using birth control is a "sin" and that all sex must be allowed to lead to procreation, making women slave to their biology. This is no different than Muslims.

Get ready

There certainly are a lot of good things about Christianity, but there also are a lot of bad things historically that were Christian movements.
For the bad, there was Prohibition, sexuality laws, imperialism, colonialism, evil Mideast wars and invasions, the War on Drugs, etc.

Dopey dopey dopety dope

Of course they were Christian inventions.
The US was mostly based on Puritans and other extreme Christian sects.
There is no doubt things like Prohibition, sexuality laws, imperialism, colonialism, evil Mideast wars and invasions, the War on Drugs, slavery, Puritanism, burning witches, etc were all based on Christian beliefs.
The only other basis would be the principles of a democratic republic, which so not allow for nanny laws, like prohibition or the war on drugs. Secular law does not allow one group of people to proscribe morals on another. Only religion does that.

I don't hate Christianity. But I have a low opinion of evangelical right-wing Christianity, which is not a religion, but a political movement disguised as religion. Religious leaders should be dealing with your spiritual life, not politics. Period.

You don't have the first clue about my church or my religion. But sweetheart, know this. I understand yours like the back of my proverbial hand. It is more Fundamentalist than any Christian church I have ever stepped in, ever. It is full of judgmental moralizers, just like you, and is very cult-like in its operation. Don't doubt that for a minute.

We evangelicals go to church in small part to escape moralising, uptight judgmentals like you.

Your entire first paragraph called my church a cult, and you don't even know what denomination my church is. You're the queen of moralizing, uptight judgementals.

When Jesus was asked about the Romans, and how to fight them, His response was "My kingdom is not of this world.", and he made a point of not speaking out against Roman occupation, Roman taxes (render unto Cesar). Jesus stayed out of politics even though Israel had been conquered by the Romans and was a Roman territory. Judas betrayed Jesus because Jesus refused to use his popularity to rally the Jewish people against the Romans.

Jesus stayed right out of politics. Evangelical ministers should tend to the spiritual lives of their flocks, and do the same.

The Seleucids were the successors to the empire of Alexander the Great, and it was Rome that established the Jewish Hasmoneans as their puppets, after they had invaded. For example, Herod was a Roman who simply converted to Judaism so that he could play both roles.

But otherwise I agree religions should not involve themselves in politics unless there is strong abuse of individual rights.

Is this only for white countries or for Jews and Muslims as well? Jewish influence should have nothing to do with policy of Israel?

In all countries, religious groups should not involve themselves in politics, because politics should be concerned with the equality of all religions and not just one.

The policies of Israel should be to maximize the individual rights of all people and all religions that happen to be there.
There should never be a case where the rights of anyone were deliberately harmed by the government unless it was necessary in order to defend the rights of others from unlawful attacks.
If Israel promotes any one religion, that would be illegal because the government as to be a public servant to all of them equally, regardless of number.

children----try to learn a bit about the INFORMATION upon which you base your
opinions. Here is a clue. Your bible information is PATHETIC------you even got
Herod wrong-----he was not a Roman---he was an EDOMITE. The claims you
made about the politics of Jesus and Judas are ludicrous. How did the politics
of Israel get thrown into this idiotic discussion? Now I will admit to a level
of ignorance. I had no idea that there is a Christian sect called
EVANGELICAL. As far as I know, just about all Christian sects are
evangelical

children----try to learn a bit about the INFORMATION upon which you base your
opinions. Here is a clue. Your bible information is PATHETIC------you even got
Herod wrong-----he was not a Roman---he was an EDOMITE. The claims you
made about the politics of Jesus and Judas are ludicrous. How did the politics
of Israel get thrown into this idiotic discussion? Now I will admit to a level
of ignorance. I had no idea that there is a Christian sect called
EVANGELICAL. As far as I know, just about all Christian sects are
evangelical

The fact Herod was born as an Edomite does not mean he was not a Roman.
Anyone who pledges allegiance to Rome can be accepted as a Roman by Rome, and clearly Herod was.

{...
Herod the Great was born in the land of Idumea or Edom around 74 B.C. which is about when he appears on the Bible Timeline Chart. He was the son of Antipater of Idumaean, who was a high-ranking official for Hyrcanus II. Herod was an Edomite that had adopted the customs of the Jews. In the past, the Edomites were ancient enemies of the Jewish people but they no longer were relevant as a people during this era. Many of the Edomites were absorbed into other cultures of the time. The Jews had conquered these people around 140 B.C. and forced many of them to accept their religion or to leave the region. Though many Jewish people didn’t care for foreigners worshipping God and adopting their customs Herod was made governor of Judea when he was 25 years old.

Hyrcanus II was king of Judea during this era in Jewish history, and his throne was usurped by his nephew, Antigonus. Herod lost his power as governor, and he fled to Rome to appeal for help. The Roman Senate supported his cause and ended up making him the new Jewish king. Herod went back to Judah in 39 B.C. and married Antigonus’ niece so that he could have some legitimacy to the throne and the Jewish people. He had to end up banishing his wife Doris and their son to pull this off. In 36 B.C., Herod defeated Antigonus and was finally able to claim the throne.
...}

What is odd is to assume that the Bible is a valid reference for anything, since most of it is written long after the fact, by people of suspect political leanings.

And clearly you need to learn more about contemporary politicization of religion.
{...
In 2016, there were an estimated 619 million evangelicals in the world, meaning that one in four Christians would be classified as evangelical.[5] The United States has the largest concentration of evangelicals in the world.[6] American evangelicals are a quarter of the nation's population and its single largest religious group.[7][8] The main movements are Baptist churches, Evangelical Anglicanism,[9] Wesleyanism,[10] Confessional Reformed churches, including the Presbyterian Church in America, Pentecostalism, charismatic Evangelicalism, neo-charismatic Evangelicalism, and some nondenominational Christianity.
Conversionism, or belief in the necessity of being "born again", has been a constant theme of evangelicalism since its beginnings. To evangelicals, the central message of the gospel is justification by faith in Christ and repentance, or turning away, from sin. Conversion differentiates the Christian from the non-Christian, and the change in life it leads to is marked by both a rejection of sin and a corresponding personal holiness of life. A conversion experience can be emotional, including grief and sorrow for sin followed by great relief at receiving forgiveness. The stress on conversion differentiates evangelicalism from other forms of Protestantism by the associated belief that an assurance of salvation will accompany conversion. Among evangelicals, individuals have testified to both sudden and gradual conversions.[22]

Biblicism is reverence for the Bible and high regard for biblical authority. All evangelicals believe in biblical inspiration, though they disagree over how this inspiration should be defined. Many evangelicals believe in biblical inerrancy, while other evangelicals believe in biblical infallibility.[23]

Crucicentrism is the centrality that evangelicals give to the Atonement, the saving death and the resurrection of Jesus, that offers forgiveness of sins and new life. This is understood most commonly in terms of a substitutionary atonement, in which Christ died as a substitute for sinful humanity by taking on himself the guilt and punishment for sin.[24]

Activism describes the tendency toward active expression and sharing of the gospel in diverse ways that include preaching and social action. This aspect of evangelicalism continues to be seen today in the proliferation of evangelical voluntary religious groups and parachurch organizations.[25]

Many evangelical traditions adhere to the doctrine of the believers' Church, which teaches that one becomes a member of the Church by the new birth and profession of faith.[26][27] This originated in the Radical Reformation with Anabaptists[28] but is held by denominations that practice believer's baptism.[29] Some evangelicals, such as those in the Anglican and Reformed traditions, practice infant baptism as one's initiation into the visible church, while also stressing the necessity of personal conversion later in life for salvation
...}
Evangelicalism - Wikipedia

Get ready

Does that mean the federal government should stay out of paying for sexual diseases? What the hell are they doing with sex issues anyway? Its really adding up a year you know. The flocks are fucking and the taxpayers are scammed from the political ministers paying off the diseased from it.

The fact Herod was born as an Edomite does not mean he was not a Roman.
Anyone who pledges allegiance to Rome can be accepted as a Roman by Rome, and clearly Herod was. <<<< rigby

^^^^ not so------the Romans only RARELY conferred citizenship on non-romans at
that time. Herod was an Edomite ---probably the son of a mother who practiced
Judaism as did LOTS of edomites back then----but also acculturated to roman
society I know of no information suggesting that he was a citizen of Rome.
Jews did not consider him a legal "king" which is part of the problem leading
him to murder "john, the Baptist" Your cut and paste is a bit silly.for a few
reasons. Edomites had no bar against assimilating into the Jewish population
if they did so. Herod was not all that assimilated and also NOT of any "royal
line" He was IMPOSED and considered a shill

Get ready

Dopey dopey dopety dope

There is no doubt things like Prohibition, sexuality laws, imperialism, colonialism, evil Mideast wars and invasions, the War on Drugs, slavery, Puritanism, burning witches, etc were all based on Christian beliefs.
The only other basis would be the principles of a democratic republic, which so not allow for nanny laws, like prohibition or the war on drugs. Secular law does not allow one group of people to proscribe morals on another. Only religion does that.

I've read a lot of stupid crap on this board, but that Christianity invented stuff like imperialism, colonialism and slavery absolutely takes the cake.

That kind of utter inanity needs a soundtrack to go with it while I read. It's hilarious that you believe the claptrap you type, really.

rigby----we can help you-----you seem "history compromised" .
Your posts suggest that you have lived a "west is no damned good" life. ---
and have been taught to equate DA WICKED WEST with the bad stuff
of mankind.-----including Christianity. (gawd help us) I is a old jew---
born in the USA and the product of a public school education from
kindergarten all the way thru grad school. THUS I am yankee doodle
educated-----and also an avid reader since childhood. Based on what
I know about USA people----it is possible that you TOO are yankee
doodle educated but picked up on the WICKED WEST ideology
that has been around for the past 100 years----could you share a bit
about your education?

{...

...}

Original sin - Wikipedia

A quote from the Bible means nothing. First of all it has been translated, so you can be sure of it, it also is written much later, so is suspect for that reason, and finally, you need to know what the common interpretations are, not just your personal one. Which is what I gave, the most common interpretations of the Bible. Lots of Christians believe woman are the source of original sin corruption, and therefore can not be allowed too much freedom or power.

I just heard, "Blah blah blah, EXCUSES WHY YOU SHOULD JUDGE CHRISTIANITY BY PEOPLE INSTEAD OF THE BIBLE!"

Get ready

Dopey dopey dopety dope

I've read a lot of stupid crap on this board, but that Christianity invented stuff like imperialism, colonialism and slavery absolutely takes the cake.

That kind of utter inanity needs a soundtrack to go with it while I read. It's hilarious that you believe the claptrap you type, really.

Silly, don't you know that conquest and slavery didn't exist until the advent of Christianity? The world was a paradise of fluffy puppies and rainbows and people singing "Kum Ba Yah" until Jesus turned up.

I just heard, "Blah blah blah, EXCUSES WHY YOU SHOULD JUDGE CHRISTIANITY BY PEOPLE INSTEAD OF THE BIBLE!"

The irony here is that even the OP has admitted that women are treated better because Christians do not follow their bible

As Mary and Mary Magdeline were the first two people to learn the news of Christ's resurrection and told by an angel to inform the Apostles, why then are women not permitted by the Roman Catholic Church to be priests?

As Mary and Mary Magdeline were the first two people to learn the news of Christ's resurrection and told by an angel to inform the Apostles, why then are women not permitted by the Roman Catholic Church to be priests?

Any why aren't they ranked among the Apostles themselves? They were the first to bring the "Good News" to the people.

Any why aren't they ranked among the Apostles themselves? They were the first to bring the "Good News" to the people.
Lying bitches.

{...

...}

Original sin - Wikipedia

I judge everyone by their actions, not by whatever rules they proclaim to follow. This is the usual standard, of course you don't do that with Christians, because you want to find them bad.. therefore you must say, yes they treat women and everyone around well, but HAVE YOU SEEN THE TEXT?

Further, someone completely clueless like yourself has no business attempting to dictate what it is the bible says.

Forum List

Back