Is going to try and give up alcohol in the new year

Having survived a six month binge after I returned home from the service I promised my wife I would quit for a week, it turned out to be 40 years this March. You will soon discover your level of energy increases, mental sharpness remains acute, you sleep better, and you will find less destructive ways to cope with pain and stress.

I don't drink spirits, mostly wine or cider

I don't think it much matters what you drink. I don't think it much matters how often you drink, either.

What matters is what happens when you drink.

Some people are just not wired to drink any kind of alcohol whatsoever.

If you get drunk every time you drink, you may be one of those people.

A professional can help you figure it out if you find yourself often wondering about it. Most people don't think about their drinking or feel a need to stop or take a break.

Last edited:
Good last couple of posts you guys, ill let ya know in 40 yrs if I've made it, I'm guessing the longer you go on the less you feel like a drink.

Good last couple of posts you guys, ill let ya know in 40 yrs if I've made it, I'm guessing the longer you go on the less you feel like a drink.

Your success will depend on how you feel in a public setting like a party, a bar, reunion, eating dinner with friends. The longer you go the easier it gets. The key is how you feel within your own skin. Can you laugh and let go without a drink, or do you need a little helper to be yourself? You will feel like the odd man out when you hear the same story told several different times during the course of an evening, don't let that negate you from having a good time. You learn to laugh without help. Your friends may find it unsettling at first, but will adjust quickly when they see you laughing and having a good time. If you drink because of pain, let me assure you it only intensifies it, not erase it.

Your success will depend on how you feel in a public setting like a party, a bar, reunion, eating dinner with friends. The longer you go the easier it gets. The key is how you feel within your own skin. Can you laugh and let go without a drink, or do you need a little helper to be yourself? You will feel like the odd man out when you hear the same story told several different times during the course of an evening, don't let that negate you from having a good time. You learn to laugh without help. Your friends may find it unsettling at first, but will adjust quickly when they see you laughing and having a good time. If you drink because of pain, let me assure you it only intensifies it, not erase it.

I'm a very confident perdon, I have never drank to have courage,social events will be easier than not opening a bottle of wine on a Friday night.

Just try doing it for a day. Then try doing that the next day. Then try doing that the next day.

The only day you have control over drinking is the day you are in. No need to worry about drinking or not drinking tomorrow, next week, or in 40 years, until that day comes, if it comes.

"One day at a time" is a zen thing.

Just try doing it for a day. Then try doing that the next day. Then try doing that the next day.

The only day you have control over drinking is the day you are in. No need to worry about drinking or not drinking tomorrow, next week, or in 40 years, until that day comes, if it comes.

yes i think thats the best way to approach it.

I believe that is the way to do "it". In addition, think about the lifestyle you wish to lead, the type people you wish to have in your life and whether the quality of your life would improve without alcohol. As alcohol is know as the "great remover" of things, a sober lifestyle is known as a "great improver" of facts and circumstances in life.

One thing is clear by this thread you are at the precipice of change, I think this is a good thing.

Last edited:

I believe that is the way to do "it". In addition, think about the lifestyle you wish to lead, the type people you wish to have in your life and whether the quality of your life would improve without alcohol. As alcohol is know as the "great remover" of things, a sober lifestyle is known as a "great improver" of facts and circumstances in life.

One this is clear by this thread you are at the precipice of change, I think this is a good thing.

I'm hoping one change will lead to another and so on, maybe I'm having a mid life thingy,lol
I think I've just got into a bit of a rut, doing the same things, going to the same places, no better time to begin than a new year :)

One this is clear by this thread you are at the precipice of change, I think this is a good thing.

I'm hoping one change will lead to another and so on, maybe I'm having a mid life thingy,lol
I think I've just got into a bit of a rut, doing the same things, going to the same places, no better time to begin than a new year :)

It should be a nice "shock to the system". The world looks a little rosier, much like a pink cloud for a while. Nice way to start the new year.

It should be a nice "shock to the system". The world looks a little rosier, much like a pink cloud for a while. Nice way to start the new year.
I feel really positive :)

Best of luck ET. Take up dance! Lots of fun and you will feel and look great.

I gave up drinking for two years about 15 years ago. I was drinking a lot back then and I was having problems because of it. So I said fuck it, and gave it up.

I promised myself I would go at least 1 year without any alcohol. After the year was up, I still didn't drink for another year.... I was having too much fun without it!

When I started drinking alcohol again, I was much more responsible about it, and to be honest, it had lost a lot of its appeal. I realized that I did not get much pleasure from being "drunk" (even though I thought I did!) and I certainly didn't miss the hangovers or the inevitable regrets. So for me it was a good thing. I learned to drink with moderation and to enjoy one or two drinks instead of one or two drinks TOO MANY....:lol:

Nowadays I have a few beers once in a while. I love a strong red wine with a steak dinner (like later tonight!) . I even have a martini now and then (good for enhancing the appetite!). It's an enhancement to a nice evening, not the main event.

Best of luck!!

I love dancing used to go clubing all the time, now I wouldn't wanna go to clubs again I might take up some dance classes, coz if you enjoy something your more likely to stick to it, good idea Dreamy!
Thanks also zander for your thoughts x

I love dancing used to go clubing all the time, now I wouldn't wanna go to clubs again I might take up some dance classes, coz if you enjoy something your more likely to stick to it, good idea Dreamy!

Dancing is my passion. Add a pole for fun. Just kidding!:badgrin:

hmmm I'm pretty clumsy so I think ill keep my feet on the ground :)

hmmm I'm pretty clumsy so I think ill keep my feet on the ground :)

haha Music and dance and you will be a new woman. Add a hat for fun.

Forum List

Back