Is it Better for a President to be Liked or Respected by the International Community?

Is it Better for a President to be Liked or Respected by the International Community

• Total voters
This is an example of attempting to be liked rather than respected.

President Obama Speech to Muslim World in Cairo - YouTube

This is where it got him. Indeed, now he is neither liked nor respected in the Muslim World.

USIMAGE0047.png

Confidence in Obama Lifts U.S. Image Around the World | Pew Global Attitudes Project

You would expect China's opinion to go down. Considering all the trade cases Obama has won against China at the WTO. I wonder if Bush ever won any. Probably too busy moving jobs to China to bother.

A combination of both people can like but if they don't respect you they will still walk over you and if your respected but not liked you will find people less likely to support in your goals.

I don't question your assertion that "a combination of both" is necessary. However, I am of the firm belief that aiming to be more liked than respected leads to neither. How far does this trend bend to an equal amount of both? That's debatable.

I think on the international stage you need a higher percent of respect than like but you do need both

Obama wants to be liked...
That's why he is out there three times a week at least surrounded
by his people props who cheer and applaud his speeches.

Respected.

If he wants a friend, he should get a dog.

Yes, he does. But here's the thing, when a President loses respect, people hold him in contempt. They don't like him for being a weak wussy.

This is where it got him. Indeed, now he is neither liked nor respected in the Muslim World.

USIMAGE0047.png

Confidence in Obama Lifts U.S. Image Around the World | Pew Global Attitudes Project

You would expect China's opinion to go down. Considering all the trade cases Obama has won against China at the WTO. I wonder if Bush ever won any. Probably too busy moving jobs to China to bother.

A 2009 poll? Right after Obama went around the world in his attempt to be liked? Has this panned out? Why would you choose a 2009 poll? Indeed, attempting to be liked results in people liking you initially (because they view you as an easy target to be walked on), however, in the long run you are neither liked nor respected. I find your 2009 poll ridiculous, irrelevant, naïve, and blatant academic dishonesty in search of an excuse to support your preconceived notions. My poll was from 2012. And in fact, China has gone down the most. I am curious to see how his polling turns out with Israel and the Saudi's at the behest of his monstrosity of an Iranian foreign policy.

Last edited:

No one has mastered the backdrop better than Obama. And yet, everyone sees through it.

What a bunch of goofballs.

Our enemies neither respect nor fear your lot, only laugh at you.

You mean Obama, the guy you voted for twice?

Even Putin looks like a better leader than Obama, worse yet leaders in France look like they are better leaders than Obama, why is that?

You are a provocateur, Kosh, the one who voted for Obama and is trying to undermine the mainstream of Republicanism. Your very support for the former head of the KGB, another hero of yours, merely underlines it.

By the by, I am glad you believe the word you got, and that you are staying on OP.

USIMAGE0047.png

Is that why US unemployment averaged slightly over 5% during the Bush Administration? It would seem to me that moving jobs to China would have raised that a lot. Then again, you were just kidding, right?

It's good to see that no one is in the "liked" camp, however, that is exactly what leftist foreign policy is.

This topic makes it easy to spot the real authoritarians among us, you know, the anti-government assholes who become ultra-nationalists as soon as some tough talking, republican, saber rattling sociopath gets elected. Hopefully America is done with such war-loving trash for a long time.

Respected.

If he wants a friend, he should get a dog.

Mr Obama has acquired a dog. The questions now are: does the dog respected him?
And is it more important to be liked or respected by one's dog?

(I asked Maja this a minute ago. She asked for a midnight snack while she thought about it).

What a bunch of goofballs.

Our enemies neither respect nor fear your lot, only laugh at you.

Even Putin looks like a better leader than Obama, worse yet leaders in France look like they are better leaders than Obama, why is that?

You are a provocateur, Kosh, the one who voted for Obama and is trying to undermine the mainstream of Republicanism. Your very support for the former head of the KGB, another hero of yours, merely underlines it.

By the by, I am glad you believe the word you got, and that you are staying on OP.

No. Considering Putin to be more effective internationally than Putin does not translate into "supporting Putin". Example: if one thinks that Hitler was cleverer than FDR it does not imply that Hitler is one's "hero".

I think the general opinion in Europe is that while no one much likes Putin he runs rings around Obama.

This topic makes it easy to spot the real authoritarians among us, you know, the anti-government assholes who become ultra-nationalists as soon as some tough talking, republican, saber rattling sociopath gets elected. Hopefully America is done with such war-loving trash for a long time.

Reminiscent of the leftist during the cold war who criticized US foreign policy not because they were honest in their convictions, but because they were rooting for the Soviets who had the same foreign policy. More specifically, like the Vietnam war protestors who sported the Vietcong flag at their rallies. Or the Commies who wanted us to stay out of WWII until the Soviets were invaded by the Nazi's, upon which, they quickly reversed their isolationism.

Last edited:
Are you are substituting the word "respected" for "feared"?

Fear is an element of respect. I'm sure it is not the only element.

I do not think fear in the military context is a necessary element of respect. Concern of having a strong leader on the other side of the argument in a diplomatic context is something else. For example I think that Mr Obama 'fears' Mr Putin now - not in any way because he worries about a Russian invasion but because of Putin's ability to make him look foolish.

Good point, although, I never qualified what I meant by "fear." But you are correct. Fear is also brought forth via public opinion. But if Putin has free reign to walk all over Obama, I don't see why he should want to embarrass him.

Last edited:

No. Considering Putin to be more effective internationally than Putin does not translate into "supporting Putin". Example: if one thinks that Hitler was cleverer than FDR it does not imply that Hitler is one's "hero".

I think the general opinion in Europe is that while no one much likes Putin he runs rings around Obama.

No one likes Putin, but he gets what he wants. Why? Because he is respected.

TooTall, try making a logical connection to the OP, please.

Just as soon as you criticize what I responded too.

Forum List

Back