Is it God or Nature?

“Get the fxck out of there, you dreadful piece of crap.”
Actually in my mind I don't have perfect knowledge and neither do you.

But I do have faith that everything works for good even when I don't always see it. And I do believe everything happens for a reason and serves a purpose even when I don't see that either.

I believe you will only believe God exists if he did magical things for you like a show pony and even then I am not so sure that would convince you. You have a hard heart.

But I am certain that you have never actually given any serious consideration to your ridiculous belief that God can only exist if everything is perfect.
“everything happens for a reason”

I agree. That “reason” is Natural forces and, in the case of animals, motivation (including being happy or content).
The “purpose” Nature has contructed thru evolution & other forces is ... survival, propagation, redistribution of matter with forces.
There are two components to natural selection; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation.

So even Darwin says that belief in God is superior than not believing in God. Otherwise, religion would have died out long ago.
Did Darwin say that, or is that your interpretation?
The reason religion survives is that it’s a cultural relic supported by powerful people who use it to their advantage at the expense of poor “weaker” citizens.
You should try learning some anthropology, sociology, social & developmental psychology.
If atheism offered a functional advantage then religion would have never existed in the first place. That is Darwin in a nutshell. So to argue religion doesn't offer a functional advantage flies in the face of natural selection and Darwinism.
Darwin was a biologist and agnostic. His natural selection focused on adaptation in the animal’s ecosystem, leading to survival, propagation, and speciation, ie evolution.
Religion is a CULTURAL belief system, and POLITICS (power) is associated with it.

Religion survives as a political tool; it does NOT demonstrate truth.
Just look at lying Trump as an example. He uses religion to gather votes and propagate his political power.
Function advantage and transfer of functional advantage. Or it dies out.

Atheism offer no functional advantage. Belief in God does. That is why religion has been so prevalent throughout the history of mankind.
Apparently, you did not understand my previous post.
In your sentence: “That is why religion has been so prevalent throughout the history of mankind” ...
simply substitute “political power” for “religion” and you will be correct.
What would you like to substitute for atheism? Anarchy?

I know it disturbs your sensibilities that religion offers a functional advantage over atheism but that’s exactly what the data shows.
What data?
Making things up to suit your beliefs?

But I do have faith that everything works for good even when I don't always see it. And I do believe everything happens for a reason and serves a purpose even when I don't see that either.

I believe you will only believe God exists if he did magical things for you like a show pony and even then I am not so sure that would convince you. You have a hard heart.

But I am certain that you have never actually given any serious consideration to your ridiculous belief that God can only exist if everything is perfect.

I agree. That “reason” is Natural forces and, in the case of animals, motivation (including being happy or content).
The “purpose” Nature has contructed thru evolution & other forces is ... survival, propagation, redistribution of matter with forces.
There are two components to natural selection; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation.

So even Darwin says that belief in God is superior than not believing in God. Otherwise, religion would have died out long ago.
The reason religion survives is that it’s a cultural relic supported by powerful people who use it to their advantage at the expense of poor “weaker” citizens.
You should try learning some anthropology, sociology, social & developmental psychology.
If atheism offered a functional advantage then religion would have never existed in the first place. That is Darwin in a nutshell. So to argue religion doesn't offer a functional advantage flies in the face of natural selection and Darwinism.
Darwin was a biologist and agnostic. His natural selection focused on adaptation in the animal’s ecosystem, leading to survival, propagation, and speciation, ie evolution.
Religion is a CULTURAL belief system, and POLITICS (power) is associated with it.

Just look at lying Trump as an example. He uses religion to gather votes and propagate his political power.

Atheism offer no functional advantage. Belief in God does. That is why religion has been so prevalent throughout the history of mankind.
In your sentence: “That is why religion has been so prevalent throughout the history of mankind” ...

I know it disturbs your sensibilities that religion offers a functional advantage over atheism but that’s exactly what the data shows.
What data?
That every society in the history of mankind has overwhelmingly believed in the existence of a Creator. That data.

BTW, you never answered my Q:
Why does a “benevolent” God allow MANY humans to die relatively early, either in a pandemic or in the embryonic stage of development via natural abortion?
I did answer it. You didn’t understand the answer.
Please feel free to repeat & elaborate.
Everything works for good.
So, you think early & miserable human death is good? And you think you’re humane?

Why does a “benevolent” God allow MANY humans to die relatively early, either in a pandemic or in the embryonic stage of development via natural abortion?
So, you think early & miserable human death is good? And you think you’re humane?
I think that good comes from everything. Yes.

But let me flip that around. Are you saying that life isn’t worth living unless everything is perfect? Are you saying there can be no God unless everything is perfect? If you were God what would your world look like?

What data?
That every society in the history of mankind has overwhelmingly believed in the existence of a Creator. That data.
Your conclusion has no “data” that would pass muster in any scientific discussion.
Every society also has ignorant/uneducated people who hold political power due to inheritance or public speaking propaganda.
Every society also has people who are atheist, agnostic, or have theistic beliefs of various kinds. SO WHAT?

What data?
Your conclusion has no “data” that would pass muster in any scientific discussion.
Every society also has ignorant/uneducated people who hold political power due to inheritance or public speaking propaganda.
Every society also has people who are atheist, agnostic, or have theistic beliefs of various kinds. SO WHAT?
Overwhelmingly

But let me flip that around. Are you saying that life isn’t worth living unless everything is perfect? Are you saying there can be no God unless everything is perfect? If you were God what would your world look like?
NO, I am saying none of your above statements, and I don’t pretend to know any god.
Life is worth living because it’s fun.

NO, I am saying none of your above statements, and I don’t pretend to know any god.
Then why are you making a there can be no God unless everything is perfect argument?

Life is worth living because of the challenges. It is overcoming adversity that makes the victories taste sweeter.

If everything were perfect then there would be no meaning to perfect.

Then why are you making a there can be no God unless everything is perfect argument?
I’m NOT saying that.
I was simply asking you why your God allows people to suffer and die early if it is a benevolent all-powerful being?

I’m NOT saying that.
I was simply asking you why your God allows people to suffer and die early if it is a benevolent all-powerful being?
If you aren’t saying that then your question has no relevance because you don’t see anything wrong with it.

And for the third time bad things happen to good people so that good can come from it. Everything works for good.

That seems to edge into the realm of sociopathy. Are you suggesting that the elderly and those who are frail with existing medical conditions are being killed because they're sinners and unbelievers?

That sounds like the rant of someone with a mental illness.

It's Satan. The atheists wanted no God and they are getting what they asked for. Once they die, then their world ends and for the atheists God won't be there. They are no atheists in fox holes.

Don't blame me nor call me someone with a mental illness. I'm just the messenger.
There's something very disturbing about grownups cowering in fear of imaginary boogeymen.

Got to go play some golf and experience life to give thanks to God for giving me the precious gift of life.

Peace.

I’m NOT saying that.
If you aren’t saying that then your question has no relevance because you don’t see anything wrong with it.
Whatever you say! LOL.
Time for me to exit now and deal with human beings that were already born & need assistance toward happiness ...

The reason religion survives is that it’s a cultural relic
Absolutely. That's why you don't see Hindus converting to what ding would call the "correct" religion spontaneously by the millions. Because it is the religion their culture assimilated them into.

SFW???!!!???!!! Darwin didn't really get natural selection right. It was creation scientist Alfred Russel Wallace who got it right. Durwood Darwin was wrong with most of his thesis. Much of what Dawin accomplished was to explain evolution and then he supported the racist and genocidal policies against blacks with his brand of evolution. It led to racial social Darwinism. It even led to the slaugher of Jews by the Nazis. I hate Darwin. He showed his racism in The Descent of Man. He is is screaming in Hades 24/7 right now and he belongs in the lowest level of hell. Maybe his followers will end up close to it.

Forum List

Back