🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is it Rude to be Rude toward Rudeness?

It's hard to answer the question in the op without context. Each situation is different. There are also some people who are always finding others rude that go around with a chip on their shoulder. I believe it good to use a little discretion before going on the war path. Also, it's possible to be assertive with a person that I'd being Rudd without being rude yourself in many cases.

So Marty, can you tell me a story about what happened during one of those episodes so I'll know what you are qualifying as "rude"...

The forum does have to be taken into account. Work is a different set of rules, than say this message board, or driving. For me driving and this message board is the same. If some asshole cuts me off or doesnt follow the rules of the road, ITS FUCKING GO TIME.

Its go time when you're not facing the other person seems to be a pattern

No, i make sure to pull up in front of them and express my displeasure personally.

I have also told off people being asses in elevators, on line at a supermarket checkout, and cutting others in line.

Someone has to enforce the rules.

I am by no means a perfect driver. One time I cut another driver off unintentionally and the other driver went road rage on me, driving recklessly in the process. Well it so happened that a cop pulled the other guy over.

I have often been the driver that got cut off or had to drive defensively because of a bad maneuver by another driver. I've often given another driver a wave of forgiveness in return for an "I'm sorry gesture". I've yet to meet the perfect driver that never makes a mistake.

Last edited:
Much of what happens out there is unintentional. Which should be considered too. Good story, Bob. Glad they stopped the right person.

Its go time when you're not facing the other person seems to be a pattern

No, i make sure to pull up in front of them and express my displeasure personally.

I have also told off people being asses in elevators, on line at a supermarket checkout, and cutting others in line.

I am by no means a perfect driver. One time I cut another driver off unintentionally and the other driver went road rage on me, driving recklessly in the process. Well it so happened that a cop pulled the other guy over.

I have often been the driver that go cut off or had to drive defensively because of a bad maneuver by another driver. I've often given another driver a wave of forgiveness in return for an "I'm sorry gesture". I've yet to meet the perfect driver that never makes a mistake.

Serial bad drivers are easy to spot because they have no clue they just screwed up. I have apologized via hand gestures when i screwed up (when i blew a stop sign that was hidden by a tree and had to horse my car around the one with the right of way, i sat there and let him yell at me for 10 minutes because I was wrong), and have given the "no prob" wave to people that have offered the sorry gesture. What I take a stand against is those shoulder driving, 3 lane crossing, squeeze into the exit from the wrong lane, left lane 45 MPH-right lane 88 MPH driving assholes who need to be shown they ARE assholes.

how about report their license to highway patrol if you think they are a danger on the road? You have a cell phone, right?

So Marty, can you tell me a story about what happened during one of those episodes so I'll know what you are qualifying as "rude"...

Maybe rude isnt the right term. What I am is assertive in telling the person they are being an ass.

Like reaching into my pocket and pulling out a quarter to compensate the person arguing for 5 minutes over an expired 25 cent coupon (the person with a $1000 hand bag, and $300 in high end groceries, not some woman buying 20 cans of cat food).

Or the person holding the elevator for their friend that is drying thier hair for the next 2 minutes,

Or the asshat who jumps to the checkout at a pharmacy when 10 people are on line, and pretends not to hear the people calling him out.

how about report their license to highway patrol if you think they are a danger on the road? You have a cell phone, right?

I Live in NYC, the NYPD would laugh in your face and hang up if you called in trivial crap like that.

No, being nice to them just lets them get away with their crap.

Rude people need to be corrected, and if being an ass towards them is the only way for them to get it, then so be it.

Rudeness is not acceptable to start a conversation or an interaction, but it is sure as hell a proper way to finish it.

He doesn't need to be "nice" to anyone. He can be who he is without being rude. If you are responding back with a rude statement you have taken the bait. That is what they want. You cannot do it.. You respond from a place of strength which is to ACT ( when you are ready not when they are ) not a place of weakness which is to REACT ( big diff )

If Caption were in an office situation of enduring a rude co - worker - and it was done in front of other workers he could certainly confront the behavior boldly right then and make it known to those present that the person being confronted is seriously out of line. Rude people don't become rude in a day. Most likely others present would be grateful for the confrontation so they didn't have to deal with it in the future. Sometimes the person who is being rude doesn't even realize how they sound. That is something else to consider. My experience is that rude people are selfish people. To the core.

The forum does have to be taken into account. Work is a different set of rules, than say this message board, or driving. For me driving and this message board is the same. If some asshole cuts me off or doesnt follow the rules of the road, ITS FUCKING GO TIME.

It is clear you live in NYC ;)

He doesn't need to be "nice" to anyone. He can be who he is without being rude. If you are responding back with a rude statement you have taken the bait. That is what they want. You cannot do it.. You respond from a place of strength which is to ACT ( when you are ready not when they are ) not a place of weakness which is to REACT ( big diff )

If Caption were in an office situation of enduring a rude co - worker - and it was done in front of other workers he could certainly confront the behavior boldly right then and make it known to those present that the person being confronted is seriously out of line. Rude people don't become rude in a day. Most likely others present would be grateful for the confrontation so they didn't have to deal with it in the future. Sometimes the person who is being rude doesn't even realize how they sound. That is something else to consider. My experience is that rude people are selfish people. To the core.

Ya think? :eusa_angel:

Just remember, we are only assholes when:

1. you are an asshole first
2. you stand in the middle of the sidewalk taking pictures (see example 1)
3. you try to go anywhere in manhattan or along a major roadway between 4 PM and 6 PM on a weekday (we are all trying to get home, stay in your hotel, a museum, or a bar)

I have often been the driver that go cut off or had to drive defensively because of a bad maneuver by another driver. I've often given another driver a wave of forgiveness in return for an "I'm sorry gesture". I've yet to meet the perfect driver that never makes a mistake.

Serial bad drivers are easy to spot because they have no clue they just screwed up. I have apologized via hand gestures when i screwed up (when i blew a stop sign that was hidden by a tree and had to horse my car around the one with the right of way, i sat there and let him yell at me for 10 minutes because I was wrong), and have given the "no prob" wave to people that have offered the sorry gesture. What I take a stand against is those shoulder driving, 3 lane crossing, squeeze into the exit from the wrong lane, left lane 45 MPH-right lane 88 MPH driving assholes who need to be shown they ARE assholes.

you don't know what bad drivers are until you drive in South Florida :mad:

New Yorkers are driving GODS in comparison.

you don't know what bad drivers are until you drive in South Florida :mad:

New Yorkers are driving GODS in comparison.

I get the same comparison from people from Boston and LA.

At least some of our assholes take trains.

3. you try to go anywhere in manhattan or along a major roadway between 4 PM and 6 PM on a weekday (we are all trying to get home, stay in your hotel, a museum, or a bar)

Marty, I lived in New York for almost 6 years. I LOVE it.

You forgot double parked! :eek:

Forum List

Back