Is it the Law to which men are bound?

adjective
2. tied; in bonds: a bound prisoner.
3. made fast as if by a band or bond: She is bound to her family.
4. secured within a cover, as a book.
5. under a legal or moral obligation: He is bound by the terms of the contract.
6. destined; sure; certain: It is bound to happen.
7. determined or resolved: He is bound to go.
8. Pathology . constipated.
9. Mathematics . (of a vector) having a specified initial point as well as magnitude and direction. Compare free ( def. 31 ) .
10. held with another element, substance, or material in chemical or physical union.
11. (of a linguistic form) occurring only in combination with other forms, as most affixes. Compare free ( def. 34 ) .

The Law, I figure, is all we're bound to "knowingly" because it is, by definition, an obligation.....i.e. breaking it results in a consequence i.e. you are bound to it.

Being bound.......... does not mean that you must obide and so I don't think being bound by something is the same as being a slave to it as I'm thinking your question actually intends.

I'm not a "slave" to the law, but I'm bound by it, and sometimes I do break it. Well, often in fact.

As far as anything else? I'm not sure, like God for instance, hasn't proven to me any consequences here or there and so one cannot "truthfully" answer that, only a faith based answer would be permitted.

The only way I would be legally obligated to follow the terms of a contract would be if I signed said contract. Since I did not sign any contract about the laws I am not bound by said laws. That alone proves we are not bound by law, but by something higher than law. That is how the moral obligation you highlighted comes into play.

Some would argue that you agree to the social contract by not choosing to go away from society.

adjective
9. Mathematics . (of a vector) having a specified initial point as well as magnitude and direction. Compare free ( def. 31 ) .
10. held with another element, substance, or material in chemical or physical union.
11. (of a linguistic form) occurring only in combination with other forms, as most affixes. Compare free ( def. 34 ) .

The Law, I figure, is all we're bound to "knowingly" because it is, by definition, an obligation.....i.e. breaking it results in a consequence i.e. you are bound to it.

Being bound.......... does not mean that you must obide and so I don't think being bound by something is the same as being a slave to it as I'm thinking your question actually intends.

I'm not a "slave" to the law, but I'm bound by it, and sometimes I do break it. Well, often in fact.

As far as anything else? I'm not sure, like God for instance, hasn't proven to me any consequences here or there and so one cannot "truthfully" answer that, only a faith based answer would be permitted.

The only way I would be legally obligated to follow the terms of a contract would be if I signed said contract. Since I did not sign any contract about the laws I am not bound by said laws. That alone proves we are not bound by law, but by something higher than law. That is how the moral obligation you highlighted comes into play.

Some would argue that you agree to the social contract by not choosing to go away from society.

And I would point out that society refuses to let anyone go away, it imposes itself on everyone. I am under no obligation to follow a social contract that does not allow me to withdraw from it, which is why our Constitution was written to protect individual liberties from the encroachment of government, and society.

And I would point out that society refuses to let anyone go away, it imposes itself on everyone

Yes and no. It is possible to renounce one's citizenship and emigrate. Feasibility, of course, is another matter.

You can then argue that you are then forced to choose between oppressors, but then we get into the nature of liberty and choice. That, I feel, is a whole other discussion unto itself.
I am under no obligation to follow a social contract that does not allow me to withdraw from it, which is why our Constitution was written to protect individual liberties from the encroachment of government, and society.

Where, exactly, does the Constitution provide you an out if you don't agree to it? It would seem to fail to meet your criterion.

And I would point out that society refuses to let anyone go away, it imposes itself on everyone. I am under no obligation to follow a social contract that does not allow me to withdraw from it, which is why our Constitution was written to protect individual liberties from the encroachment of government, and society.

In the end, it (The Constitution) by proxy is protecting them, then, not God. N'or does "God" provably create them.

adjective

Ignorance of the law is not a defense.
Go steal a car and see if your tort theory applies and if a prayer to an imaginary man in the sky keeps you from being BOUND BY THE LAW.
We are a nation of laws, not men and their various religions.
Something about the Founders running from being in bondage by religion in Europe.

Men are Bound by their own abilities or lack thereof vs. their Environment's effect on their abilities and other Men's Abilities or lack there-of.

^I think this works.

Something about the Founders running from being in bondage by religion in Europe.

Oh, shut the fuck up. Men who literally held men in bondage as slaves have no claim to the moral high ground or right to claims of fleeing persecution or tyranny.

People... the discussion isn't what they're bound by. It's what their bound to.

There is a difference.

Bound by is much like subjected to. Bound to is a whole other matter entirely.

There is a difference.

Then Men are bound to nothing, really. If one does not Assume an Omniscient being and a Judgement day of some sort, then acting morally is all but a choice.

There is a difference.

Then Men are bound to nothing, really. If one does not Assume an Omniscient being and a Judgement day of some sort, then acting morally is all but a choice.
They are bound to conscience.

And, in the end, isn't that what even the Statists ultimately appeal to- that we should obey any given law because it is morally right to according to their own conscience?

Even if there's a god, that doesn't make him right or moral or just. Just ask the Hittites or the Ammonites. Or the god the NAZIs thought of when they put Gott Mit Uns on their beltbuckles, or those who dies on 9/11 because of what someone thought their god had commanded...

There is a difference.

Being bound by, is being tied up or otherwise oppressed from allowing your conscience to be your guide

I am bound to my conscience. Am bound by the law, if my conscience does not line up with the law, I could be arrested, therefore bound by man made directives

There is a difference.

Being bound by, is being tied up or otherwise oppressed from allowing your conscience to be your guide

I am bound to my conscience. Am bound by the law, if my conscience does not line up with the law, I could be arrested, therefore bound by man made directives
And the title of the thread?

Is it the Law to which men are bound?

;)

Oh, shut the fuck up. Men who literally held men in bondage as slaves have no claim to the moral high ground or right to claims of fleeing persecution or tyranny.

Start your own thread on slavery and I will be the first to agree with you that this great nation was not founded on Christian principles.

I set my slaves free last week so I can say what I want.

There is a difference.

They are bound to conscience.

And, in the end, isn't that what even the Statists ultimately appeal to- that we should obey any given law because it is morally right to according to their own conscience?

Even if there's a god, that doesn't make him right or moral or just. Just ask the Hittites or the Ammonites. Or the god the NAZIs thought of when they put Gott Mit Uns on their beltbuckles, or those who dies on 9/11 because of what someone thought their god had commanded...

And the conscience itself can be wrong. Life's a bitch, huh?

My first answer in this thread was: "nothing."

I'm prepared to stand by that :razz:

Whoa, also not everyone "always" even follows their conscience. I certainly don't.

Last edited:
Yes and no. It is possible to renounce one's citizenship and emigrate. Feasibility, of course, is another matter.

You can then argue that you are then forced to choose between oppressors, but then we get into the nature of liberty and choice. That, I feel, is a whole other discussion unto itself.

I said society. I was not talking about a particular government, but about people in general. Even the tribes in the remote Amazon have been encroached upon by society, usually with the excuse that we know what is best for them.

Where, exactly, does the Constitution provide you an out if you don't agree to it? It would seem to fail to meet your criterion.

Where did I say it provides me an out? I pointed out that it was written to protect me from government.

In the end, it (The Constitution) by proxy is protecting them, then, not God. N'or does "God" provably create them.

Do you think you have some kind of point there? The people who wrote the Constitution understood that rights do not come from government, and that, ultimately, government exists to take away the rights of individuals. That is why they wrote it to protect those rights, wherever they come from.

But thanks for showing you hate people who believe in something more than you do.

adjective

Ignorance of the law is not a defense.
Go steal a car and see if your tort theory applies and if a prayer to an imaginary man in the sky keeps you from being BOUND BY THE LAW.
We are a nation of laws, not men and their various religions.

Where the fuck did I say anything like that? What I said is that, by definition, law does not bind people unless they agree. Society imposes its interpretation of law on people, but it cannot bind them to it without agreement. We are a nation of laws, and those laws exist to protect the rights of individuals. You can say anything you want, but you cannot change that fundamental fact.

You are obviously biased here, but you can not point to a single post in this thread where I defended any religion.

Men are Bound by their own abilities or lack thereof vs. their Environment's effect on their abilities and other Men's Abilities or lack there-of.

^I think this works.

Yet we keep rising above our abilities, and our environment, because the only thing that binds real men is their imagination.

I am bound by my conscience. I am bound by that which is right, fair, and just, regardless of man made laws. Man made laws cannot become my conscience.

So the question is.. Would you seek to impose you're conscience on others becouse you feel it is " Right, Fair, and just"?

Forum List

Back