Is it too late for the GOP to defeat Identity Politics?

The problem is the "in the beltway" Roves. They don't care who is elected as long as they are still on the dance card.

It sure does seem like someone, somewhere, has a vested interest in stopping the mainstream GOP from taking Identity Politics head on. I don't know if they're afraid, intimidated or misguided, but the party just seems to have zero answer to it. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking and the demographics don't favor them.

Last election I swear the beltway Republicans didn't want to win. Romney didn't go on one conservative talk show after he got the nomination. I only heard Ryan with Laura once.

They didn't care.

Beltway people are both parties but all that matters are the dinners and the invitations and the who's who.

I used to be in that kind of business when in the promotion part of my company you'd kill to come to one of my parties so I understand the politics of the beltway well even though mine was the politics of rock and roll.

Now to the demographics.

Do you realize that these are the headlines only?

Whites (people who identify themselves so) according to the 2010 census stands at 72%.

And they are fudging the figure with the one drop rule now in other stats?

What disorder allows you to type something like that?

The problem is the "in the beltway" Roves. They don't care who is elected as long as they are still on the dance card.

It sure does seem like someone, somewhere, has a vested interest in stopping the mainstream GOP from taking Identity Politics head on. I don't know if they're afraid, intimidated or misguided, but the party just seems to have zero answer to it. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking and the demographics don't favor them.

Last election I swear the beltway Republicans didn't want to win. Romney didn't go on one conservative talk show after he got the nomination. I only heard Ryan with Laura once.

They didn't care.

Beltway people are both parties but all that matters are the dinners and the invitations and the who's who.

I used to be in that kind of business when in the promotion part of my company you'd kill to come to one of my parties so I understand the politics of the beltway well even though mine was the politics of rock and roll.

Now to the demographics.

Whites (people who identify themselves so) according to the 2010 census stands at 72%.

Hmm.

I can see that, but what I'm saying is that the groups who are increasing the fastest in the electorate are the same groups who are so skillfully targeted by Identity Politics. Plus, I would think that there are many among the "white" electorate whose hearts and minds could be changed with the proper messaging. So rather than trying to appeal with Identity Politics, the appeal would be that we all have the same wants and goals, and that becoming more divided hurts us rather than helps us.

No doubt I can be way off on this, but I just don't see the GOP even making an effort here.

By the way, kind of funny to see people here denying the very existence of Identity Politics, ay?

:cool:

Fuck you.

Paula Deen is the perfect example your evil on the left. Crush. Kill. Get her off the air. Stop Walmart from having her products.

You are the evil and disgusting ones.

You're not actually serious with the above post are you?

Yes, deadly serious.

I'm telling the truth. I go to think progress and tpm and huffpo among other websites on the left daily.

When the story first broke about her deposition libs drove this story. Libs wanted to kill Paula.

And now some like huffpo finally realized Deen was a Dem.

Now I was defending her across all party lines because she is no racist and the woman that is suing her is trying a shakedown.

And it worked. Deen is destroyed by lies. By liberals. How sweet that it was conservatives trying to defend her.

How can it be lies when she admitted to using racist language?

You aren't seriously going by comment sections as examples of liberal politics, are you?

They didn't care.

Now to the demographics.

Hmm.

I can see that, but what I'm saying is that the groups who are increasing the fastest in the electorate are the same groups who are so skillfully targeted by Identity Politics. Plus, I would think that there are many among the "white" electorate whose hearts and minds could be changed with the proper messaging. So rather than trying to appeal with Identity Politics, the appeal would be that we all have the same wants and goals, and that becoming more divided hurts us rather than helps us.

No doubt I can be way off on this, but I just don't see the GOP even making an effort here.

By the way, kind of funny to see people here denying the very existence of Identity Politics, ay?

Can you give examples of this subtle and skillful "marketing" you're alluding to?

They didn't care.

Now to the demographics.

Hmm.

Can you give examples of this subtle and skillful "marketing" you're alluding to?

If you can't think of any on your own, what's the point?

I no longer play the game of "prove it", when I know that my proof will be denied no matter what it is. I've been down that road too many times. I'm not a big fan of having my intelligence (such as it is) insulted.

If you think that Identity Politics doesn't exist, I'll assume you have no input on how the GOP can overcome it. I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
You're not actually serious with the above post are you?

Yes, deadly serious.

I'm telling the truth. I go to think progress and tpm and huffpo among other websites on the left daily.

When the story first broke about her deposition libs drove this story. Libs wanted to kill Paula.

Now I was defending her across all party lines because she is no racist and the woman that is suing her is trying a shakedown.

And it worked. Deen is destroyed by lies. By liberals. How sweet that it was conservatives trying to defend her.

You aren't seriously going by comment sections as examples of liberal politics, are you?

Let me bring you up to speed darlin. Paula admitted as would any person that in the 60's she used the word ******.

Anyone who says they didn't is a liar true and true. Just like honky or cracker.

Now, I want you to really truly get it. All the lib websites (huffpo has turned around now that Jesse Jackson jumped in) were reporting the woman's allegations( Lisa Jackson the plaintiff)

Not truth.

In the deposition Lisa Jackson admits under oath she never ever heard Paula Deen utter a racial slur.

Under oath. Got it?

You libs have destroyed a woman who overcame a very serious disorder and made more than something of herself and has helped so many people in her lifetime.

Libs can really smear this downfall all over themselves.

Last edited:
Does this identity comes from people attacking groups or defending them? Who's singling people out for "identification"? Whose policies are actually "targeting" specific groups?

Amusingly, here's a New York Times (shocking) piece that defends the same Identity Politics that some here claim doesn't exist: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/when-identity-politics-is-rational/?_r=0

:laugh:

Anyway, the GOP can't make inroads here until they at least come up with a strategy. I don't see one right now.

I don't see one either. Where's the plan for 2014? All the Roves of the world are only looking at 2016. Thats where the players like Rove get their big bucks to live on the high side of the street.

I've got a couple of issues up here in my province I have to attend to. Very left wing government going and super taxing everything to the point I'm going border shopping on a regular basis (ND is just south of me) that I have to jump in and start nuking our Premier.

But 2014 is crucial to take the Senate and hold the Congress. So fall will be a very busy season. Hopefully the conservatives can find a leader to rally around. There's a couple I'm looking at, but still hesitant to throw myself behind.

Yes, deadly serious.

Let me bring you up to speed darlin. Paula admitted as would any person that in the 60's she used the word ******.

Anyone who says they didn't is a liar true and true. Just like honky or cracker.

Now, I want you to really truly get it. All the lib websites (huffpo has turned around now that Jesse Jackson jumped in) were reporting the woman's allegations( Lisa Jackson the plaintiff)

Not truth.

In the deposition Lisa Jackson admits under oath she never ever heard Paula Deen utter a racial slur.

Under oath. Got it?

You libs have destroyed a woman who overcame a very serious disorder and made more than something of herself and has helped so many people in her lifetime.

You're a little too comfortable using that word for my tastes.

Ill readly admit I'm not following the whole thing that closely. Don't care.

I will rephrase...are you willing to assign the ideals of a political party or ideology based on the comments sections of a blog or news site?

Not truth.

Under oath. Got it?

You're a little too comfortable using that word for my tastes.

Ill readly admit I'm not following the whole thing that closely. Don't care.

I will rephrase...are you willing to assign the ideals of a political party or ideology based on the comments sections of a blog or news site?

What "******"? That word. I grew up with that word. Even in books. Mark Twain wasn't a racist when he used "******" in Huck Finn. It was the times.

It was a description of a person. My dad was a "Mick". My great uncle was a "Wop" my Mother was a "uk" and that's how it was.

You have to understand how they all got their nick names. No one spoke english except for the immigrants from the British Isles. My great grandfather only knew Russian and Ukrainian.

The immigrants nicknamed each other to identify themselves and others usually in one or two syllable easily identifiable word like "Wop" or "Kraut". Please remember no one spoke english when they got off the boat.

Now to your other point.

Of course not. But TP and TPM are blatant left wing sites. I've not a problem with that at all.

The comments were shocking to me only because the individuals commenting were truly ignorant of the fact that Paula Deen is and has been a fabulous Democrat all her life ( and yes I consider her a good old fashioned D from the old days)

Paula campaigned with fervor for the Obamas. Michelle was invited on her show as an honored guest pre becoming the First Lady.

Now HuffPo Canada at least did a complete swing around when Jackson and Sharpton finally jumped in and said hold on here. Paula said this shit many years ago.

I think Al actually said that we've all said shit in our lifetime that we've regretted. Bless his soul.

Hey and that's me blessing Sharpton. Wonders never cease. And Jesse Jackson has been awesome on Paula.

Look out your window. Yes it is true. tinydancer is giving kudos to Sharpton and Jackson.

Flying_Pigs.jpg

Last edited:
The dems have perfected it and the Rs are in hot pursuit of it. Why would they give it up?

Well, that's the thing. The Dems own Identity Politics, and I don't see the GOP taking it away from them. So I'd think the better move would be to take it head-on and provide some contrast.

Well, what's the contrast?

I frankly AM horrified that there are a lot of folks out there who really think their well-being depends on government and voting for Democrats.

But what's the alternative?

Working for a company for six years, as I did, only to be let go because some beancounter realized you had filed too much in health insurance claims the year before?

The Dems are reprehensible in promising folks other people's money, but the Republicans are equally reprehensible for playing the Rubes on religous, racial and gender issues in order to distract away from the fact that they are only working for the 1%.

Maybe what we need is a party that is working for working folks.

The dems have perfected it and the Rs are in hot pursuit of it. Why would they give it up?

Well, that's the thing. The Dems own Identity Politics, and I don't see the GOP taking it away from them. So I'd think the better move would be to take it head-on and provide some contrast.

Well, what's the contrast?

I frankly AM horrified that there are a lot of folks out there who really think their well-being depends on government and voting for Democrats.

But what's the alternative?

Working for a company for six years, as I did, only to be let go because some beancounter realized you had filed too much in health insurance claims the year before?

The Dems are reprehensible in promising folks other people's money, but the Republicans are equally reprehensible for playing the Rubes on religous, racial and gender issues in order to distract away from the fact that they are only working for the 1%.

Maybe what we need is a party that is working for working folks.

Well well I agree.

A third party is long overdue. All you have now are the inside the beltway folks with a few tea partiers.

Well meaning people get inside that zone and all their scruples fly out the window under the pressure from the elite players.

Both sides.

Geeze louise, I have to check my water. I've just given kudos to Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and am now finding Joe's post reasonable.

flying-pigs.jpg

For a couple of generations now, the Democrats have been wildly successful in dividing Americans into groups (particularly ethnic & economic) ...

:eusa_eh:

You think a political party did that? Not reality, not the fact that some of us ARE very very poor and some of us rich beyond our abilities to image..no you believe that the DEMS did that?

Seriously?

:lol:

For a couple of generations now, the Democrats have been wildly successful in dividing Americans into groups (particularly ethnic & economic) ...

:eusa_eh:

You think a political party did that? Not reality, not the fact that some of us ARE very very poor and some of us rich beyond our abilities to image..no you believe that the DEMS did that?

Seriously?

:lol:

It isn't a very well thought out theory. I have asked a few questions to flush out the intent behind it.....but I believe Mac has me on ignore.

The idea that, by dividing people and exploiting differences, the Democratic Party has been able to develop a coalition of voters that is larger than the GOP.....is kind of silly on it's face.

All politicians will make effort to find common ground with various voter segments. Once found, they will try to use it to their advantage. This is not a partisan idea.

But the platform is published.....the record is public. That a black person identifies with the goals of the DNC over those of the RNC.....is not an indictment of the methods of the DNC.....is it? That a gay person realizes that his or her participation in this "one nation" thing will likely be recognized more by the guy with "D" next his name.....is not evidence that the DNC is trying to divide the country......is it?

the Dems have successfully hyphenated the term 'American' and nothing will change that.......and they do so with a hostility and a dishonesty that is not healthy.

Try being a christian, male or female who is black, Hispanic or gay of any income level that decides they wish to run for offcie or otherwise get involved in politics, the dems and their willing brethren bubble people in the media will hand them their heads...

THEN, the very same; will turn around and beat the gop over the head and shoulders for being exclusive or they are just 'tokens' in that they don't have enough female, black, Hispanic or gays of any income level in the party......:lol:

the Dems have successfully hyphenated the term 'American' and nothing will change that.......and they do so with a hostility and a dishonesty that is not healthy.

Try being a christian, male or female who is black, Hispanic or gay of any income level that decides they wish to run for offcie or otherwise get involved in politics, the dems and their willing brethren bubble people in the media will hand them their heads...

THEN, the very same; will turn around and beat the gop over the head and shoulders for being exclusive or they are just 'tokens' in that they don't have enough female, black, Hispanic or gays of any income level in the party......:lol:

Hmmmm......

Forum List

Back