Is Linux as good as many people say??

Oh and in Windows 10 Home version M$ has made it so I can't run a Linux live CD unless I change code. Yes, I've followed the instructions to let it boot from CD....... It won't let me unless it's a Windows ISO........ Wonder why they did that....... :eusa_whistle:

There is a fix for that...it sucks, but works...if you need it I can find it...basically it is a teensy weensy bootable Linux you put on a thumb drive, it will scan your drive and M$ OS version and rewrite the code specifically to your system. Worked flawless for me
Not needed, I have a Ubuntu desktop I use so no need to dual boot. Now (in the near future) when my personal computer is no longer personal but simply just another dedicated Windows work station I'll dump Windows for Linux and will be done with M$ on all but my gaming desktop.
My oldest son uses it on his gaming computer(Linux) but my younger uses Windows...Both work fine....
Both are good in their own way, both have negatives and positives, I just don't like the direction M$ is going with it's operating systems, for all intent and purposes turning the PC into a dedicated "work station".
Much like Apple has done....The kids these days are mainly interested in STEAM....I like it also, but like I said yesterday to them, your screwed if they go out of business...
I don't see Valve (Steam) going anywhere anytime soon, oh yeah you read about the predictions of the demise of Steam, gaming consoles, etc but like IBM did decades ago those who are making those predictions will get left in the dust. Just like for decades the pro MS people and the Linux purists have been singing the negatives (real or hyped) and ultimate downfall of each others OS neither one has died.

Current devices will be instantly detected and installed on Windows. For extended functions and features or if Windows has no drivers for your device, there will be a driver and a tool shipped with the item.

Once again you keep saying it, but it isn't true.
Yes, IF YOU KNOW HOW...you can find the actual inf files/driver you need buried in the manufacturer's CD...but maybe 2% of users know how to install a printer for instance manually...so that leaves 98% of window users having to install a bloated program they don't need or want just to get the damn thing to work.
Again, we all also use Windows at home or work so anything you say that doesn't match reality - we know it..the fog doesn't work for us.

There is a fix for that...it sucks, but works...if you need it I can find it...basically it is a teensy weensy bootable Linux you put on a thumb drive, it will scan your drive and M$ OS version and rewrite the code specifically to your system. Worked flawless for me
Not needed, I have a Ubuntu desktop I use so no need to dual boot. Now (in the near future) when my personal computer is no longer personal but simply just another dedicated Windows work station I'll dump Windows for Linux and will be done with M$ on all but my gaming desktop.
My oldest son uses it on his gaming computer(Linux) but my younger uses Windows...Both work fine....
Both are good in their own way, both have negatives and positives, I just don't like the direction M$ is going with it's operating systems, for all intent and purposes turning the PC into a dedicated "work station".
Much like Apple has done....The kids these days are mainly interested in STEAM....I like it also, but like I said yesterday to them, your screwed if they go out of business...
I don't see Valve (Steam) going anywhere anytime soon, oh yeah you read about the predictions of the demise of Steam, gaming consoles, etc but like IBM did decades ago those who are making those predictions will get left in the dust. Just like for decades the pro MS people and the Linux purists have been singing the negatives (real or hyped) and ultimate downfall of each others OS neither one has died.

Heh...I remember a few years back when all the Debian/SuSe users ranted and raved against Ubuntu/Mint saying it wasn't "real" Linux...those guys are no different than the M$/MAC fanboys.

No nonsense, I have windows installed because I play games, period. If I didn't play games I'd have one of the best, most stable, highly polished OSs installed, Ubuntu or Mint (Linux). Both beat Windows hands down in pretty much every category. You Microsoft trained (paid?) bots wouldn't know that cause you're brainwashed or you've been brainwashed by those Microsoft bots.
I neither care for nor do I refer to your Linux OS. Linux is not the problem. But you have a bunch of tools and that´s it. You must know, when ever Windows is attacked, the attack must have a cause. Some fastfood eating "Dumbfuck" sitting in front of his Linux, who uses the some standard hacktools.

The modern main stream Linux distros are not the distros of even just a few years ago, they've come a long way. Where some of the current issues with the newest computers/hardware is that Linux drivers have not completely caught up yet. Some of that is the developers have not written proprietary drivers yet for a couple of reasons, the primary 2 reasons for some are they have contracts with Microsoft (partnerships), self explanatory or they're focused on the primary market share first before writing drivers for Linux distros. It's not hard to figure out but considering the really small market share Linux has it's a wonder Microsoft feels they need to declare war on them. I wonder if Microsoft knows something you don't.......... Oh yeah, I forgot, Linux is gaining market share by leaps and bounds outside of the US......... Maybe that's why they've declared war....... :eusa_whistle:
The problem is that Linux is a community project. Very few commercial programs.
Obviously you haven't looked at the professional and technical applications Linux is used for outside of the PC market have ya..........
I don't have a problem with Windows per se, I have a problem with where M$ is taking it. Windows isn't a bad system, the problem is with Microsoft. Yes they are a major corporation and yes they have every right to make money but they've been a sudo-monopoly for so long they're not willing to lose all that income and are looking for ways to make even more. Nothing wrong with that I just don't want their "help" so that they can make money off of me other than me buying their operating system.

STEAM has it's own console out which uses Linux doesn't it?
I only mentioned that because as we have seen from the past how companies get a user base and then change the consoles or the OS to get more money from the base..And also require users to buy more software..

STEAM has it's own console out which uses Linux doesn't it?
I only mentioned that because as we have seen from the past how companies get a user base and then change the consoles or the OS to get more money from the base..And also require users to buy more software..
Yeah, but unless you can get a short time sale the console is expensive though (if it doesn't fail) the price will eventually come down. The biggest drawback to Linux is the availability of games, specifically the vast majority of the top games. Most of the big game developers do not write for Linux, since Linux is open source they're afraid their product will be hacked in a major way. The funny thing is there are easy ways to prevent that from happening on a massive scale but they still haven't gotten over the old view they have of Linux.

Hello everyone question i am wondering if the Linux operating system is as good as many people say it is many other people i have talked to both online & real life say it is better then Windows & works very well at least from there experiences i have used computers since late 1995 & all my life i have been ether a Mac or Windows person so i ask you guys today is Linux really a good system yes or no & what should i know & learn about it??.

Yes.

That may not have been true a decade ago, but modern Linux installations are more user friendly than Windows. And Linux has always been more secure and more efficient than Windows.

I have been running Linux-only since 2004. I have used and recommend Ubuntu for about 6 years now.

Heh...I remember a few years back when all the Debian/SuSe users ranted and raved against Ubuntu/Mint saying it wasn't "real" Linux...those guys are no different than the M$/MAC fanboys.
Every system has it's acolytes and fanatics.

quite good. The main problem here is that there are few applications for it, and games as well.
That is the only reason for me not to reinstall my os.

quite good. The main problem here is that there are few applications for it, and games as well.

Ah..so you had your mind made up from the get-go.
Few applications? Not even close to being true. Truth is there is not one thing you can do with Windowa(save playing games) than you cannot do with Linux.
For instance, this website is Linux. As are most internet sites world-wide.
Whatever you can do on windows, you can do on Linux...probably faster and certainly cheaper.

Why play mega-sized games on your computer when you can get a xbox or playstation? They are dedicated machines with the controllers and all.

As mentioned, there are many thousands of apps for Linux, all open source, many as good or better than their commercial counterparts. It is possible to live without Microsoft. The withdrawal symptoms will go away and then you'll wonder how you got hooked.

Few applications? Not even close to being true. Truth is there is not one thing you can do with Windowa(save playing games) than you cannot do with Linux.
Whatever you can do on windows, you can do on Linux...probably faster and certainly cheaper.
If someone has programmed a program, you can of course do what you want. The problem is that nobody did. And all the free tools are availble for Windows, too.

If someone has programmed a program, you can of course do what you want. The problem is that nobody did. And all the free tools are availble for Windows, too.
Not only got there early but left the Biergarten a little late tonight.........

I remember trying to find an analog to microsoft office program. The analog was - openOffice, which is not so wonderful, i guess. That is for instance.

Yes, i know that most popular servers are on Linux, but home PC isn't server and used for other aims.

I remember trying to find an analog to microsoft office program. The analog was - openOffice, which is not so wonderful, i guess. That is for instance.

Yes, i know that most popular servers are on Linux, but home PC isn't server and used for other aims.

?? - Now your giving me even more doubt.
Just what can you do with Word or Excel that you cannot do with Open or Libre Office?

Open Office and LibreOffice are both very compatible with the standard M$ Office applications, it's the more professional applications that still require some work to make them more compatible. As for general user graphical tools and media players, Linux has M$ beat hands down.

Not only got there early but left the Biergarten a little late tonight.........

Bill kept him up late last night...

Open Office and LibreOffice are both very compatible with the standard M$ Office applications, it's the more professional applications that still require some work to make them more compatible. As for general user graphical tools and media players, Linux has M$ beat hands down.
No. Its the pink glasses making you believe it.

No. Its the pink glasses making you believe it.
Riiiight......... :lmao:

Forum List

Back