Is Linux as good as many people say??

quite good. The main problem here is that there are few applications for it, and games as well.
That is the only reason for me not to reinstall my os.
Why play mega-sized games on your computer when you can get a xbox or playstation? They are dedicated machines with the controllers and all.

As mentioned, there are many thousands of apps for Linux, all open source, many as good or better than their commercial counterparts. It is possible to live without Microsoft. The withdrawal symptoms will go away and then you'll wonder how you got hooked.
Because the experience and variety of games on a computer is FAR FAR FAR superior to any console. Some like consoles but I will never use them as my main gaming environment because the PC is simply light years better for me.

Because of this it is unlikely that I will ever move off of windows for my main machine but I am currently building a HTPC. Typically all it runs is Windows Media Player, VLC and uTorrent. Do any of you think one of those Linux based OS would be better for this application. The screen it is hooked up to is a front side projector and I have found that windows has some issues dealing with it as well as some of the more obscure media formats. VLC usually takes care of that but I do not know if that would work on a Linux machine or if there was a comparable program that was as universal.

quite good. The main problem here is that there are few applications for it, and games as well.
Why play mega-sized games on your computer when you can get a xbox or playstation? They are dedicated machines with the controllers and all.

As mentioned, there are many thousands of apps for Linux, all open source, many as good or better than their commercial counterparts. It is possible to live without Microsoft. The withdrawal symptoms will go away and then you'll wonder how you got hooked.
Because the experience and variety of games on a computer is FAR FAR FAR superior to any console. Some like consoles but I will never use them as my main gaming environment because the PC is simply light years better for me.

Because of this it is unlikely that I will ever move off of windows for my main machine but I am currently building a HTPC. Typically all it runs is Windows Media Player, VLC and uTorrent. Do any of you think one of those Linux based OS would be better for this application. The screen it is hooked up to is a front side projector and I have found that windows has some issues dealing with it as well as some of the more obscure media formats. VLC usually takes care of that but I do not know if that would work on a Linux machine or if there was a comparable program that was as universal.

Plex Server which runs beautifully on Linux.
Plex: One window into all your personal media
Plex runs on Windows/Mac/Linux...but was native Linux first so the company is well versed in the OS.
Any smart TV, Roku etc. has a Plex app that works fine. Or you can hook the computer straight to the widescreen.
And Linux works better with Widescreen TV's than Windows for sure.

And BTW - I use WinFF to convert media formats...extremely fast and always works for me.

WinFF - Truly Free Video Converter

Last edited:

For home theater KODI is a good app, but I'm not familiar with Plex. KODI is recently renamed from XBMC (x box media center) because it has moved so far from its' original incarnation, a hack for the xbox. It runs on everything known as far as I can tell. I have it on a 8 core Android box running my display and mega speaker system. It's about all I use the Android box for and may format it to run OpenElec and Kodi someday but it's working well so I'm good for now.

For home theater KODI is a good app, but I'm not familiar with Plex. KODI is recently renamed from XBMC (x box media center) because it has moved so far from its' original incarnation, a hack for the xbox. It runs on everything known as far as I can tell. I have it on a 8 core Android box running my display and mega speaker system. It's about all I use the Android box for and may format it to run OpenElec and Kodi someday but it's working well so I'm good for now.

I haven't used Kodi...hmm...

Plex looks good but I don't need the Chromecast thingy. I have a massive amount of unsupported addons and there are many more. I do want to figure out how to record shows but it's too complicated for me I guess, can't get it to work but it goes through the motions. Probably because I am trying to save to a flash drive.

Plex looks good but I don't need the Chromecast thingy. I have a massive amount of unsupported addons and there are many more. I do want to figure out how to record shows but it's too complicated for me I guess, can't get it to work but it goes through the motions. Probably because I am trying to save to a flash drive.

Wireshark....:eusa_whistle:

Interesting.

They both look a little to darn flashy but I will have to try them out. I already have my files organized the way I want them in their file structure - don't need a program to do anything more than simply play them.

Interesting.

They both look a little to darn flashy but I will have to try them out. I already have my files organized the way I want them in their file structure - don't need a program to do anything more than simply play them.

Then I would simply put LinuxMint on a box, install VLC and WinFF to convert troublesome formats.

In 20 years Linux has never ever worked as an operating system for the average user, and if they can't get it right in 20 years they never will. It has it's good points, it is a fantastic OS for coders and programmers and webmasters and the like, but for the rest of us? Uhh... no. Really. NO. It's horrible, you can use it to get online and you might even succeed in getting the sound to work on YouTube, but try anything advanced like, oh I dunno, say connecting a printer or playing a game, and it is a nightmare.

Tens of millions of people download Linux, I've downloaded several versions myself several times, but I don't use it. I don't use it because it doesn't work. And it never will work.
But on the other hand, with the advent of Windows 10 and it's seriously invasive properties that turn your computer into an eye for Big Brother, my future choices when Windows 7 becomes obsolete are either Apple's OSX or an alternative open-source OS like Linux. Windows 7 is very likely the last Microsoft OS I will ever own because it's the last Microsoft system that (with a lot of tweaking of the settings) is safe to use.

In 20 years Linux has never ever worked as an operating system for the average user, and if they can't get it right in 20 years they never will. It has it's good points, it is a fantastic OS for coders and programmers and webmasters and the like, but for the rest of us? Uhh... no. Really. NO. It's horrible, you can use it to get online and you might even succeed in getting the sound to work on YouTube, but try anything advanced like, oh I dunno, say connecting a printer or playing a game, and it is a nightmare.

Tens of millions of people download Linux, I've downloaded several versions myself several times, but I don't use it. I don't use it because it doesn't work. And it never will work.
But on the other hand, with the advent of Windows 10 and it's seriously invasive properties that turn your computer into an eye for Big Brother, my future choices when Windows 7 becomes obsolete are either Apple's OSX or an alternative open-source OS like Linux. Windows 7 is very likely the last Microsoft OS I will ever own because it's the last Microsoft system that (with a lot of tweaking of the settings) is safe to use.

62284441.jpg

You are full of shit. I am no geek and have used Linux exclusively for three years. Every distro I've tried worked, don't blame your failures on everyone else, with your several attempts.

Connecting a printer, scanner, phone, tablet whatever was a matter of plugging it in. Games aren't the high mark for Linux but that's got zero to do with the OS. Game developers like to make money. So does MS and Apple. Give your money to them and Linux users will continue on without your approval.

You're so full of shit your eyes are brown. (About Linux that is). Oh and before you come back with the "Linux fanatic" response I'm primarily a Windows user who also uses Linux and while I'm not a computer guru I know my way around enough to be considered at least a geek. I wasn't a geek 8 years ago when I first tried and learned Linux.

Last edited:
Why are people full of shit just because they don´t share your opinion? You can use a broken OS like you want but please leave those alone who want to use their computers properly.

Why are people full of shit just because they don´t share your opinion? You can use a broken OS like you want but please leave those alone who want to use their computers properly.
People like you are full of shit because you either lie or are ignorant about what you're talking about. It really is that simple. Go back to sucking the M$ pacifier.

Really?
You don't see the fallacies in his post? really? Can't get sound to work in Youtube? Can't connect a printer? really?
He is not full of shit because of anything he disagrees with, he is full of shit because his post is full of shit.
Even when "sound to work with youtube" was something you needed to fix because of the makers of codecs refused to give permissions for Linux distros to include in install - that has nothing to do with the OS.
I realize however that this has been repeated to you to infinity, but you still cling to your beliefs...which makes you what...oh - biased.

Really?
You don't see the fallacies in his post? really? Can't get sound to work in Youtube? Can't connect a printer? really?
He is not full of shit because of anything he disagrees with, he is full of shit because his post is full of shit.
Even when "sound to work with youtube" was something you needed to fix because of the makers of codecs refused to give permissions for Linux distros to include in install - that has nothing to do with the OS.
I realize however that this has been repeated to you to infinity, but you still cling to your beliefs...which makes you what...oh - biased.
When I firstly installed Ubuntu there was no sound. It was a Soundmax onboard device. My Surfstick didn´t work ether. When I installed Korora on the notebook, the cam didn´t work. While the sound problem is an OS problem indeed (out of the box promise) the other problems were caused by a lack of the support for Linux by the manufacturers.
It doesn´t matter in the end. Half the stuff will not work, people claiming otherwise lie.

Really?
When I firstly installed Ubuntu there was no sound. It was a Soundmax onboard device. My Surfstick didn´t work ether. When I installed Korora on the notebook, the cam didn´t work. While the sound problem is an OS problem indeed (out of the box promise) the other problems were caused by a lack of the support for Linux by the manufacturers.
It doesn´t matter in the end. Half the stuff will not work, people claiming otherwise lie.

Again...full of shit.
Soundmax? That is your fault...what kind of system do you have anyway?
Surfstick is a German thing, not here...and apparently works in Suse who is probably the only distro where it would make sense to include support.
You can keep repeating it...but that doesn't make it true. Ubuntu/Mint works flawlessly with at minimum 90% of any modern hardware...I have installed Mint on at least 50 PCs or Laptops and haven't had hardware problems in years. And even when I do...the fix is usually very easy to find, and most often requires a simple apt-get command.

Lets kick this up a notch. Anyone over 16 who plays computer games is a fucking MORON to begin with.
If you aren't smart enough to run a Linux setup, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Ditto for those who watch the "B00B" tube.
Ditto for those who eat fast food.

Have a nice day.
Who's using Debian?

Forum List

Back