Is Linux as good as many people say??

Again, who cares?
Since when was this a "my operating system can beat up your operating system" tit for tat?
Both have their positives and negatives, ya like one over the other then that's great, don't like the other for some personal reason? Who the fuck cares?

You missed the disclaimer at the end of the post. :dunno:
You're right, I did. Oops........ :oops:

Ya know people, there's nothing really wrong with Windows, OS X or Ubuntu/Mint. Like I've said more times than I can count it's a matter of personal preference based on what each individual user likes, dislikes or (in most cases) is simply accustomed too. Each OS has their positives and negatives, acolytes, fanatics and detractors, putting down or elevating to computer godhood any of them based on one's personal bias is a reflection of the individual and not a very flattering reflection at that.

Ya know people, there's nothing really wrong with Windows, OS X or Ubuntu/Mint. Like I've said more times than I can count it's a matter of personal preference based on what each individual user likes, dislikes or (in most cases) is simply accustomed too. Each OS has their positives and negatives, acolytes, fanatics and detractors, putting down or elevating to computer godhood any of them based on one's personal bias is a reflection of the individual and not a very flattering reflection at that.
Yep, I have said it here at least 10 times...it's not the OS...it's the company I have a problem with. For everything M$ has contributed to the computer scene they have damaged doubly in other areas.

[

You know that MS invented tablets?

And the smart phone, and stylus computing, and touch screen.

Before Apple can steal a technology, Microsoft must first create it.

Standard Disclaimer: I say that a bit tongue in cheek, Microsoft makes a fortune off of licensing fees from Apple.
And don't forget the smartwatch.
But with all, MS was too early and it is not the company people buy such stuff from.
They buy Apple stuff, no matter if alternatives are better. Android is superior to Apple's app console.
iPhones are duds.

In 20 years Linux has never ever worked as an operating system for the average user, and if they can't get it right in 20 years they never will. It has it's good points, it is a fantastic OS for coders and programmers and webmasters and the like, but for the rest of us? Uhh... no. Really. NO. It's horrible, you can use it to get online and you might even succeed in getting the sound to work on YouTube, but try anything advanced like, oh I dunno, say connecting a printer or playing a game, and it is a nightmare.

Tens of millions of people download Linux, I've downloaded several versions myself several times, but I don't use it. I don't use it because it doesn't work. And it never will work.
But on the other hand, with the advent of Windows 10 and it's seriously invasive properties that turn your computer into an eye for Big Brother, my future choices when Windows 7 becomes obsolete are either Apple's OSX or an alternative open-source OS like Linux. Windows 7 is very likely the last Microsoft OS I will ever own because it's the last Microsoft system that (with a lot of tweaking of the settings) is safe to use.

62284441.jpg

Well, the thing that Linux fans don't get is that the only qualification anyone needs to comment on the usability of an operating system is simply to be an average computer user. And the simple fact is that the average computer user cannot use Linux. Get over it, Linux as a toolbox for programmers is very good, but as an operating system for the masses it is a hopeless failure. Everyone knows about Linux these days and everyone wants something for nothing, but even at a price of $0.00 people are snubbing Linux in favor of Windows, because they try it out and discover it to be unworkable, give up and shell out their hard earned cash for Windows, the OS that works - or download a pirate copy.
Nice propaganda. Did you come up with that all on your own or did a screwed up adult have to tell you what to write?
He is right. The average user switching to Linux only figures out he ends up with limited functionality.

In 20 years Linux has never ever worked as an operating system for the average user, and if they can't get it right in 20 years they never will. It has it's good points, it is a fantastic OS for coders and programmers and webmasters and the like, but for the rest of us? Uhh... no. Really. NO. It's horrible, you can use it to get online and you might even succeed in getting the sound to work on YouTube, but try anything advanced like, oh I dunno, say connecting a printer or playing a game, and it is a nightmare.

Tens of millions of people download Linux, I've downloaded several versions myself several times, but I don't use it. I don't use it because it doesn't work. And it never will work.
But on the other hand, with the advent of Windows 10 and it's seriously invasive properties that turn your computer into an eye for Big Brother, my future choices when Windows 7 becomes obsolete are either Apple's OSX or an alternative open-source OS like Linux. Windows 7 is very likely the last Microsoft OS I will ever own because it's the last Microsoft system that (with a lot of tweaking of the settings) is safe to use.

62284441.jpg

Well, the thing that Linux fans don't get is that the only qualification anyone needs to comment on the usability of an operating system is simply to be an average computer user. And the simple fact is that the average computer user cannot use Linux. Get over it, Linux as a toolbox for programmers is very good, but as an operating system for the masses it is a hopeless failure. Everyone knows about Linux these days and everyone wants something for nothing, but even at a price of $0.00 people are snubbing Linux in favor of Windows, because they try it out and discover it to be unworkable, give up and shell out their hard earned cash for Windows, the OS that works - or download a pirate copy.
Nice propaganda. Did you come up with that all on your own or did a screwed up adult have to tell you what to write?
He is right. The average user switching to Linux only figures out he ends up with limited functionality.
No he's not, neither one of you are familiar with typical human nature and it has little to nothing to do with "limited functionality" as the primary Linux distros only lack in the gaming department and certain high end professional applications. It's familiarity which is the primary reason, also people trying out the non Ubuntu/Mint distros, distros which do require some knowledge to make them work in a way they're familiar with.

62284441.jpg

Once again, saying something over and over doesn't make it true.
Both OS's have advantages over the other...period.
Linux's is far less cost, greater speed and immunity to all but a scattered few malware/viruses as well as ease of use.
Microsoft is compatibility with virtually everything and gaming and some business applications.

Linux's disadvantages are gaming, which is starting to level out via Steam...some hardware incompatibility that is usually an easy fix for average intelligent people. And if the distro is not a Ubuntu or derivative, the learning curve and time spent hacking to get things to work where there is no commercial interest for those small distros.
Windows disadvantage is cost, speed, hardware requirements and a company who uses their largess to push everyone around including the user. The "we know what you need even if you don't want it" mentality.

That's a lie and repeating it over and over just illustrates your stupidity. If you can't run Linux that places you in the below average percentile, it doesn't place everyone else above it.

Hello everyone question i am wondering if the Linux operating system is as good as many people say it is many other people i have talked to both online & real life say it is better then Windows & works very well at least from there experiences i have used computers since late 1995 & all my life i have been ether a Mac or Windows person so i ask you guys today is Linux really a good system yes or no & what should i know & learn about it??.

If all you do is web browsing, it's great.

But then, so is an iPad.
I do everything with it. Including business. You're a liar.

That's a lie and repeating it over and over just illustrates your stupidity. If you can't run Linux that places you in the below average percentile, it doesn't place everyone else above it.

Then why is no one using Linux?

I just responded to you with it. You live in a world of make believe and follow the herd thinking that's what the cool guys do. Linux is everywhere, you just don't know it.

As a desktop/laptop OS most people (in this country) haven't even heard of it and if they have they don't know what it is. Many who have heard of it but know nothing about it listen to know nothing idiots like you and opt not to try it.
Some who have tried it tried one of the versions that do not have the restricted drivers and they're left trying to figure out how to install the limited generic drivers. So people simply decide they prefer "their" Windows or OS X and go back to what they're familiar with and some people try it out with high hopes only to discover the gaming available is seriously lacking and go back to windows.
Oh and "no one is using Linux"? Is your head buried in the sand or up your ass? Linux is all around you, Linux as an OS for desktops and laptops is used by millions all over the world and growing rapidly outside of the USA.

And don't forget the smartwatch.
But with all, MS was too early and it is not the company people buy such stuff from.
They buy Apple stuff, no matter if alternatives are better. Android is superior to Apple's app console.
iPhones are duds.

Engadget reported last year that Microsoft makes more net profit from every iPhone sold than Apple does. Microsoft has zero cost and simply collects licensing fees. It isn't in their interests to offer a credible alternative, they are making too much easy money. Xerox was once the behind the scenes R&D juggernaut, now it's Microsoft, who seems happy with the role. (Though Surface indicates they may be itching to expand.)

Google traditionally didn't make a dime off the iPhone, though the acquisition of Motorola changed that, they still aren't in the league of M$. Google had a very strong motivation to build a competitor. The goal of any business is to make money. What motivates a business is ALWAYS this goal.

It depends on what they do. Modern Linux builds are rock solid. If Web Browsing and Media are what one wants to do with a computer, Linux is a good choice and won't limit anything.
Yeah but they won' t install another OS for their Firefox or Chrome(ium).

It depends on what they do. Modern Linux builds are rock solid. If Web Browsing and Media are what one wants to do with a computer, Linux is a good choice and won't limit anything.

Not just a good choice, a better choice.
Basically impervious to malware, faster and cheaper to own.
I have setup several seniors (including my 82 and 74 yo parents) with Mint. Because of it's simplicity and ease of use..and no malware to worry about - it is a fantastic choice for people who do not game.

Once again, saying something over and over doesn't make it true.
Both OS's have advantages over the other...period.
Linux's is far less cost, greater speed and immunity to all but a scattered few malware/viruses as well as ease of use.
Microsoft is compatibility with virtually everything and gaming and some business applications.

Total cost of ownership tends to be higher on Linux builds. The initial $79 someone might spend on and OS has little impact on the total cost of ownership. The cost of obtaining tools to complete tasks is a far bigger concern. The lack of tools for the desktop drive this cost up for Linux.

Linux's disadvantages are gaming, which is starting to level out via Steam...some hardware incompatibility that is usually an easy fix for average intelligent people. And if the distro is not a Ubuntu or derivative, the learning curve and time spent hacking to get things to work where there is no commercial interest for those small distros.
Windows disadvantage is cost, speed, hardware requirements and a company who uses their largess to push everyone around including the user. The "we know what you need even if you don't want it" mentality.

Liunux as a desktop OS is simply unsupported. If you want to connect to a corporate VPN, chances are you will have no support for Linux (generic VPN clients in Linux are a joke and revolve around 1980's technology). Want to run most ERP clients? Sorry. Want to run a modern CAD system? Nope, which should infuriate many as Catia started on Unix, but dumped it and Linux because the cost wasn't justified.

Linux on the desktop is declining. Desktops in general are declining, but this is the death knell for Linux.

In servers and especially mobile OS, Linux does fine, but as a desktop OS it's on it's last legs. Android of course is the larges OS in the world. There is more Android than Windows, IOS, OSX, or other system.

Linux is the darling of the Warez community, but that too is dropping, as Netflix and Amazon Prime make stealing movies less attractive. Steam has made stealing games less attractive. Without the community that steals media, there really is very little behind a desktop Linux.

I use Linux every day, I'm posting this message from an Ubuntu VM, but reality is.

Yeah but they won' t install another OS for their Firefox or Chrome(ium).

LOL;

Chrome is a derivative of Chromium, a Linux based Browser. And Firefox actually works properly under Linux. I won't use it under Windows anymore, but in Ubuntu it works fine.

What doesn't work fine is the sub-par drivers for the NVidia card in this box. No driver at all for the Color HP departmental outside my door. The Konica copiers have a driver, but they are crippled and offer no control of finishing features such as stapling, double sided, or hole punching.

There is nothing wrong with Linux, except the fact that it's unsupported.

Not just a good choice, a better choice.
Basically impervious to malware, faster and cheaper to own.
I have setup several seniors (including my 82 and 74 yo parents) with Mint. Because of it's simplicity and ease of use..and no malware to worry about - it is a fantastic choice for people who do not game.

Total bullshit. Linux isn't "impervious" to anything. Linux is ignored on the desktop. Virus writers simply don't bother because their aren't enough users to make it worthwhile. And the nasty browser hacks hit Linux just as quickly as they do Windows or Mac.

#1 target of malicious software is Android, a version of Linux. The reason is simple, it's the #1 OS in use. Once Linux gained popularity, the total bullshit lie that it was somehow "more secure" fell apart in seconds.

Desktop Linux is ONLY secure in that no one gives a shit enough to bother going after it. (And the assumption that those running it are fellow Warez seekers)

Forum List

Back