Is Linux as good as many people say??

Yeah but they won' t install another OS for their Firefox or Chrome(ium).

LOL;

Chrome is a derivative of Chromium, a Linux based Browser. And Firefox actually works properly under Linux. I won't use it under Windows anymore, but in Ubuntu it works fine.

What doesn't work fine is the sub-par drivers for the NVidia card in this box. No driver at all for the Color HP departmental outside my door. The Konica copiers have a driver, but they are crippled and offer no control of finishing features such as stapling, double sided, or hole punching.

There is nothing wrong with Linux, except the fact that it's unsupported.

LOL...why would Konica or Ricoh or any copier provide drivers for Linux??
And who would print to these devices from a desktop anyway?? Anyone with any sense of course uses hotfolders and use software like Command Workstation to send work to commercial printers.
NVidia? I have used NVidia drivers on Linux PC's several times, I don't remember any issues.

Exactly.

And who would print to these devices from a desktop anyway??

Everyone who uses them.

It isn't 1980 anymore.

Anyone with any sense of course uses hotfolders and use software like Command Workstation to send work to commercial printers.

Why would "anyone with any sense" do this?

NVidia? I have used NVidia drivers on Linux PC's several times, I don't remember any issues.

So have I, and they are crap.

LOL;

Chrome is a derivative of Chromium, a Linux based Browser. And Firefox actually works properly under Linux. I won't use it under Windows anymore, but in Ubuntu it works fine.

What doesn't work fine is the sub-par drivers for the NVidia card in this box. No driver at all for the Color HP departmental outside my door. The Konica copiers have a driver, but they are crippled and offer no control of finishing features such as stapling, double sided, or hole punching.

You misunderstood. I also have Firefox pre- installed on my favorite distro, Parted Magic, and it runs fine.
But I don' t boot it to use Firefox.

LOL;

HP is pretty good at providing drivers for Linux, I have one myself. NVidia is widely supported in Debian/Ubuntu based distros, that's what I use. You might have to go to the hardware manager and select one.

Not just a good choice, a better choice.
Basically impervious to malware, faster and cheaper to own.
I have setup several seniors (including my 82 and 74 yo parents) with Mint. Because of it's simplicity and ease of use..and no malware to worry about - it is a fantastic choice for people who do not game.

Total bullshit. Linux isn't "impervious" to anything. Linux is ignored on the desktop. Virus writers simply don't bother because their aren't enough users to make it worthwhile. And the nasty browser hacks hit Linux just as quickly as they do Windows or Mac.

#1 target of malicious software is Android, a version of Linux. The reason is simple, it's the #1 OS in use. Once Linux gained popularity, the total bullshit lie that it was somehow "more secure" fell apart in seconds.

Desktop Linux is ONLY secure in that no one gives a shit enough to bother going after it. (And the assumption that those running it are fellow Warez seekers)
What planet are you on? One of the key differences in Linux is the OS/kernel requires permission for any modification. There's a reason Debian is widely used for secure servers. Windows has always been very vulnerable because they want it dumbed down for the "average" user. Android requires permissions too, if you grant it and get fucked, who's fault is that? You blame the OS? Why are you MS bois so full of shit?

HP is pretty good at providing drivers for Linux, I have one myself. NVidia is widely supported in Debian/Ubuntu based distros, that's what I use. You might have to go to the hardware manager and select one.

My CP4520 had Linux drivers, and full featured ones. But alas, it has gone to the great computer beyond. The MP651 that replaced it, doesn't have Linux support.

It's a sign of the times, even those who once supported Linux are withdrawing.

And Ubuntu certainly has NVidia drivers, they simply are substandard. My 6990 works, plays video well. But in an RDP session the fonts corrupt, the driver fails to render correctly. In GIMP, selection boxes leave artifacts - not in the file, but as screen corruption. Crap like this is constant, and due simply to sloppy drivers.

What planet are you on?

Earth, have you heard of it? It's about 100 light years from planet Warez...

One of the key differences in Linux is the OS/kernel requires permission for any modification.

So does Windows since the introduction of the Longhorn core in 2004.

There's a reason Debian is widely used for secure servers.

Suse is the most common Linux in servers, followed by Redhat. I don't personally know of any servers running a Debian build.

Windows has always been very vulnerable because they want it dumbed down for the "average" user. Android requires permissions too, if you grant it and get fucked, who's fault is that? You blame the OS? Why are you MS bois so full of shit?

Bullshit. Linux escaped attack purely because it is rare and not worth bothering with.

The OS/2-NT kernal was designed to allow the core to be rewritten so that it could be used to run CNC equipment and other specialized processes. This left the core open to attack. BUT NT was supplanted by Longhorn a decade ago. Linux is no more secure than Windows, not a single bit.

Why do you fanbois need to lie. It's an OS, not a religion. Warez is dying anyway. Get a Netflix account and get over it.

Exactly.

And who would print to these devices from a desktop anyway??

Everyone who uses them.

It isn't 1980 anymore.

Anyone with any sense of course uses hotfolders and use software like Command Workstation to send work to commercial printers.

Why would "anyone with any sense" do this?

So have I, and they are crap.

You must be talking small time business printers.
Anyone who operates a commercial digital press most obviously doesn't print from a desktop. WHo in God's name would want to do all of that composition, file management, job archiving from anything but a dedicated rip/server?

Anyone who operates a commercial digital press most obviously doesn't print from a desktop. WHo in God's name would want to do all of that composition, file management, job archiving from anything but a dedicated rip/server?

Commercial digital press?

LOL; you grasp that most businesses are not printing houses. The typical Fortune 500 uses a slew of departmental multifunctions for general use. They aren't printing business cards for clients or brochures.

I take it you work for a print house.

It might be Toshiba, Canon, or Xerox, but this class of departmental machine is in about 90% of businesses in America.

Main Features - bizhub C754/C654 | KONICA MINOLTA

Commercial digital press?

LOL; you grasp that most businesses are not printing houses. The typical Fortune 500 uses a slew of departmental multifunctions for general use. They aren't printing business cards for clients or brochures.

I take it you work for a print house.

It might be Toshiba, Canon, or Xerox, but this class of departmental machine is in about 90% of businesses in America.

Main Features - bizhub C754/C654 | KONICA MINOLTA

No, I am saying that if you are printing large complex documents you would want to do that composition etc. on the machine itself. For no other reason than whoever used it last didn't leave pink paper in it and you just printed your presentation 5 minutes before - now on pink paper...as well as what punch is currently installed etc.
And no I don't work for a printing house...a print manufacturing plant.

So does Windows since the introduction of the Longhorn core in 2004
I never had ANY Windows program ask for permission.
Suse is the most common Linux in servers, followed by Redhat. I don't personally know of any servers running a Debian build.
You personally don't know shit but are very opinionated. Like a Microsoft drone.
Bullshit. Linux escaped attack purely because it is rare and not worth bothering with.
Back it up. Windows programs have free and easy access to the OS, Linux programs don't. In fact one of the reason the programs are small is they use the core OS and just add the functions. The equivalent Windows programs are HUGE and very time consuming to install.
Why do you fanbois need to lie. It's an OS, not a religion. Warez is dying anyway. Get a Netflix account and get over it.
I have Netflix, you know nothing stupid asshole.

Then why is no one using Linux?
I just responded to you with it. You live in a world of make believe and follow the herd thinking that's what the cool guys do. Linux is everywhere, you just don't know it.

Oh come on, you're just trolling me aren't you? Linux at best has a 1.5% share of the OS market.

He is not just talking about desktops/laptops.
This site is Linux...as are many, many, many, many websites.
You stream TV or movies? Roku is Linux as are most smart TV's. Android is Linux.
The top 500 super computers in the world? All but a scant few run on Linux. Root web servers that are what the internet IS...are Linux.
Traffic control systems...Linux...Military satellite and recon systems...Linux...even the international space station...Linux.
You like Pixar movies? Linux
Linux is everywhere.

Last edited:
I just responded to you with it. You live in a world of make believe and follow the herd thinking that's what the cool guys do. Linux is everywhere, you just don't know it.

Oh come on, you're just trolling me aren't you? Linux at best has a 1.5% share of the OS market.

You stream TV or movies? Roku is Linux as are most smart TV's. Android is Linux.
The top 500 super computers in the world? All but a scant few run on Linux. Root web servers that are what the internet IS...are Linux.
Traffic control systems...Linux...Military satellite and recon systems...Linux...even the international space station...Linux.
Linux is everywhere.

I agree with that; yes Linux is everywhere on the server end, but it's not on the user end. And calling Android Linux is stretching things a bit, Android uses a Linux kernel, but everything else is pure Android. It's like me calling Windows a Unix OS.

I'd love for Linux distros to be viable operating systems so that I could get out from under the thumb of Microsoft, but it's never going to happen. I mean, how sophisticated is Windows XP by today's standards? It's not longer supported by Microsoft but security issues aside, I could still do just about anything I want with a Windows XP operating system. It still works. But the latest cutting-edge, all new and improved Linux distros cannot even match Windows XP for compatibility or ease of use, let alone Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Linux is everywhere.

I agree with that; yes Linux is everywhere on the server end, but it's not on the user end. And calling Android Linux is stretching things a bit, Android uses a Linux kernel, but everything else is pure Android. It's like me calling Windows a Unix OS.

I'd love for Linux distros to be viable operating systems so that I could get out from under the thumb of Microsoft, but it's never going to happen. I mean, how sophisticated is Windows XP by today's standards? It's not longer supported by Microsoft but security issues aside, I could still do just about anything I want with a Windows XP operating system. It still works. But the latest cutting-edge, all new and improved Linux distros cannot even match Windows XP for compatibility or ease of use, let alone Windows 7 or Windows 10.

And once again...saying something over and over doesn't make it true.
If you are still using XP...then Linux will do everything you want, except games. Everything.
You guys forget you are talking to people that use Linux everyday. I have none of these mysterious "problems" you M$ fanboys love to say we have.
I surf the net and never-ever run into a site that "doesn't work"...ever. Because gee...most of the internet is Linux.
I stream music, I stream TV...I even watch NFL Sunday Ticket when I am not at home.
I download movies and push to my widescreen...I do quotes for customers...I open countless Word and Excel documents...I email like crazy...I use my laptop to control Youtube on the widescreen...I have 100's of archived movies that I use Plex (Linux) for that purpose.
As a matter of fact, because I use Linux and VLC (Linux) I can play far more media formats than Windows.
I use it everyday. And have for years.

Linux is everywhere.

And once again...saying something over and over doesn't make it true.
If you are still using XP...then Linux will do everything you want, except games. Everything.
You guys forget you are talking to people that use Linux everyday. I have none of these mysterious "problems" you M$ fanboys love to say we have.
I surf the net and never-ever run into a site that "doesn't work"...ever. Because gee...most of the internet is Linux.
I stream music, I stream TV...I even watch NFL Sunday Ticket when I am not at home.
I download movies and push to my widescreen...I do quotes for customers...I open countless Word and Excel documents...I email like crazy...I use my laptop to control Youtube on the widescreen...I have 100's of archived movies that I use Plex (Linux) for that purpose.
As a matter of fact, because I use Linux and VLC (Linux) I can play far more media formats than Windows.
I use it everyday. And have for years.
That is really quite irrelevant. What YOU can use Linux for does not matter. I don't understand why you are missing the point that he is making. There is a real reason that the totally free and easily acquired Linux makes up almost none of the user end operating systems. It simply does not do what windows does - immediately working without doing anything at all. People shell out hundreds of dollars so that it works like that. Linux may be wonderful but this seems like a pissing match about which one is better. That has always been a rather silly question.

Linux may very well be better for some users. Mostly those users that are willing to set it up properly. Windows works better for other users. Again, mostly those users that simply want it to work seamlessly and immediately with no effort required.

Which proves you don't know what you're talking about. I've been there done that, you haven't. You belong under Microsoft's thumb, they own you and deserve your money.

That is really quite irrelevant. What YOU can use Linux for does not matter. I don't understand why you are missing the point that he is making. There is a real reason that the totally free and easily acquired Linux makes up almost none of the user end operating systems. It simply does not do what windows does - immediately working without doing anything at all. People shell out hundreds of dollars so that it works like that. Linux may be wonderful but this seems like a pissing match about which one is better. That has always been a rather silly question.

Linux may very well be better for some users. Mostly those users that are willing to set it up properly. Windows works better for other users. Again, mostly those users that simply want it to work seamlessly and immediately with no effort required.
LOL. User experience is irrelevant! I had to dick around a LOT with every Windows installation I ever had and every once in a while with a Linux distro. You, like some of the others have no experience and only know what you think is true. Not having commercial games available isn't a fault of an operating system, boys like you seem to think it is though. That's just weird. We are not all kids out here is Realsville. If I wanted gaming I'd buy a console and continue to use my computer for work.

What YOUR opinion on what you know little about is what's irrelevant. The fact that MS makes "deals" with retailers and manufacturers is what got them where they are. Not superior software, superior predatory business practices and they raised a society of sheep that bray against all naysayers. The fact that you mopes have to interject your ill informed opinions into every Linux thread is evidence of your insecurity issues.

Forum List

Back