Is Linux as good as many people say??

That is really quite irrelevant. What YOU can use Linux for does not matter. I don't understand why you are missing the point that he is making. There is a real reason that the totally free and easily acquired Linux makes up almost none of the user end operating systems. It simply does not do what windows does - immediately working without doing anything at all. People shell out hundreds of dollars so that it works like that. Linux may be wonderful but this seems like a pissing match about which one is better. That has always been a rather silly question.

Linux may very well be better for some users. Mostly those users that are willing to set it up properly. Windows works better for other users. Again, mostly those users that simply want it to work seamlessly and immediately with no effort required.
LOL. User experience is irrelevant! I had to dick around a LOT with every Windows installation I ever had and every once in a while with a Linux distro. You, like some of the others have no experience and only know what you think is true. Not having commercial games available isn't a fault of an operating system, boys like you seem to think it is though. That's just weird. We are not all kids out here is Realsville. If I wanted gaming I'd buy a console and continue to use my computer for work.

What YOUR opinion on what you know little about is what's irrelevant. The fact that MS makes "deals" with retailers and manufacturers is what got them where they are. Not superior software, superior predatory business practices and they raised a society of sheep that bray against all naysayers. The fact that you mopes have to interject your ill informed opinions into every Linux thread is evidence of your insecurity issues.

That is your problem, not mine child. You clearly do not understand anything I stated because your fanboy glasses are to thick. Unfortunately, you don't seem to even understand that those 'deals' are actually part of making superior software in the first place. You literally just stated that comparability is not only not the 'fault' (though that word is being grossly misused) of the OS itself when it clearly is if such software wants to be utilized. Considering that most of Linux is freeware it is rather clear why it does not measure up in some aspects. The most interesting think about your asinine rant is that you have to make false claims about me 'naysaying' and calling me names when I never even stated anything negative about Linux in the first place. Instead I pointed out facts and how users clearly have chosen. You further insult the vast majority of those users then say everyone else has insecurity issues.

You are the one that clearly has insecurity issues and I don't think I will bother responding to anymore of your childish name calling and whining about posters that have been quite reasonable with you.

Then why is no one using Linux?
I just responded to you with it. You live in a world of make believe and follow the herd thinking that's what the cool guys do. Linux is everywhere, you just don't know it.

Oh come on, you're just trolling me aren't you? Linux at best has a 1.5% share of the OS market.

He is not just talking about desktops/laptops.
This site is Linux...as are many, many, many, many websites.
You stream TV or movies? Roku is Linux as are most smart TV's. Android is Linux.
The top 500 super computers in the world? All but a scant few run on Linux. Root web servers that are what the internet IS...are Linux.
Traffic control systems...Linux...Military satellite and recon systems...Linux...even the international space station...Linux.
You like Pixar movies? Linux
Linux is everywhere.

I agree with that; yes Linux is everywhere on the server end, but it's not on the user end. And calling Android Linux is stretching things a bit, Android uses a Linux kernel, but everything else is pure Android. It's like me calling Windows a Unix OS.

I'd love for Linux distros to be viable operating systems so that I could get out from under the thumb of Microsoft, but it's never going to happen. I mean, how sophisticated is Windows XP by today's standards? It's not longer supported by Microsoft but security issues aside, I could still do just about anything I want with a Windows XP operating system. It still works. But the latest cutting-edge, all new and improved Linux distros cannot even match Windows XP for compatibility or ease of use, let alone Windows 7 or Windows 10.

And once again...saying something over and over doesn't make it true.
If you are still using XP...then Linux will do everything you want, except games. Everything.
You guys forget you are talking to people that use Linux everyday. I have none of these mysterious "problems" you M$ fanboys love to say we have.
I surf the net and never-ever run into a site that "doesn't work"...ever. Because gee...most of the internet is Linux.
I stream music, I stream TV...I even watch NFL Sunday Ticket when I am not at home.
I download movies and push to my widescreen...I do quotes for customers...I open countless Word and Excel documents...I email like crazy...I use my laptop to control Youtube on the widescreen...I have 100's of archived movies that I use Plex (Linux) for that purpose.
As a matter of fact, because I use Linux and VLC (Linux) I can play far more media formats than Windows.
I use it everyday. And have for years.
That is really quite irrelevant. What YOU can use Linux for does not matter. I don't understand why you are missing the point that he is making. There is a real reason that the totally free and easily acquired Linux makes up almost none of the user end operating systems. It simply does not do what windows does - immediately working without doing anything at all. People shell out hundreds of dollars so that it works like that. Linux may be wonderful but this seems like a pissing match about which one is better. That has always been a rather silly question.

Linux may very well be better for some users. Mostly those users that are willing to set it up properly. Windows works better for other users. Again, mostly those users that simply want it to work seamlessly and immediately with no effort required.

This post is so hilarious...as if Windows works seamlessly/flawlessly...holy cow that is funny.
There is a reason I setup seniors with Linux...because it is so easy and they don't get malware.
Windows is "seamless" at the beginning because the factory pre-installed it for you. If people had to install an OS - any OS - they would choose Linux because the install takes 1/4th the time. And as long as the computer you have works with Linux, which is almost any, especially lower to mid level computers that makeup 99% of computers in use - you just click "OK" 2-3 times and you are done. (Unless you choose small distros...which only hardcore Linux fanboys do)
EVeryone uses Windows because that is all they know, and the only computer choice they are even aware of besides Apple.
Funny post though - I enjoyed the laugh!
:clap2:

LOL. User experience is irrelevant! I had to dick around a LOT with every Windows installation I ever had and every once in a while with a Linux distro. You, like some of the others have no experience and only know what you think is true. Not having commercial games available isn't a fault of an operating system, boys like you seem to think it is though. That's just weird. We are not all kids out here is Realsville. If I wanted gaming I'd buy a console and continue to use my computer for work.

What YOUR opinion on what you know little about is what's irrelevant. The fact that MS makes "deals" with retailers and manufacturers is what got them where they are. Not superior software, superior predatory business practices and they raised a society of sheep that bray against all naysayers. The fact that you mopes have to interject your ill informed opinions into every Linux thread is evidence of your insecurity issues.

That is your problem, not mine child. You clearly do not understand anything I stated because your fanboy glasses are to thick. Unfortunately, you don't seem to even understand that those 'deals' are actually part of making superior software in the first place. You literally just stated that comparability is not only not the 'fault' (though that word is being grossly misused) of the OS itself when it clearly is if such software wants to be utilized. Considering that most of Linux is freeware it is rather clear why it does not measure up in some aspects. The most interesting think about your asinine rant is that you have to make false claims about me 'naysaying' and calling me names when I never even stated anything negative about Linux in the first place. Instead I pointed out facts and how users clearly have chosen. You further insult the vast majority of those users then say everyone else has insecurity issues.

You are the one that clearly has insecurity issues and I don't think I will bother responding to anymore of your childish name calling and whining about posters that have been quite reasonable with you.
I don't have a problem. You spewing retarded shit on the internet isn't a reflection on me. I pointed out how insecure you guys are and you puked up that shit?

No, Windows is not superior. Not superior to anything really. OS-X, Android and Linux does things windows can't dream of. I've been using multiple desktops for years, maybe MS finally offered it.

You said "It simply does not do what windows does - immediately working without doing anything at all." Which is wrong. And stupid. But you say my post is an asinine response because you never said anything negative about Linux? You can't keep track of your own shit.

The point wasn't who has the largest market share, why would you try to redirect the conversation to that if you had something useful to offer?

I've used Windows, OS-X and Linux for years and know for a fact you are full of shit. So your "facts" are only worthwhile to fellow know nothing drones.

McDonalds hamburgers are the best hamburgers in the world. No other restaurant can make hamburgers as good as Micro..er I mean McDonalds because they sell more than anyone else.

McDonalds hamburgers are the best hamburgers in the world. No other restaurant can make hamburgers as good as Micro..er I mean McDonalds because they sell more than anyone else.
Not only that but the BigMac 15.1 version will prove to be their best offering yet! Preorder yours to beat the rush!

When I think of all the time spent modifying the sys.ini, win.ini files, then tweaking the billion line registry to make things work, then hear from these mopes about how superior MS was all along I wonder how they function in reality.

I knew a Linux geek back in the day, prior to any gui interface and he spent enormous amounts of time keeping his wife's computers working with Windows and couldn't believe all the dumbfuckery involved. Many people made a good living doing the same. Still do.

Not only that but the BigMac 15.1 version will prove to be their best offering yet! Preorder yours to beat the rush!

And just out is French Fry 2015!!...boy it sure is expensive, but anyone can buy the student office, or I mean Student French Fry 2015 which is such a deal!!

Then why is no one using Linux?
I just responded to you with it. You live in a world of make believe and follow the herd thinking that's what the cool guys do. Linux is everywhere, you just don't know it.

Oh come on, you're just trolling me aren't you? Linux at best has a 1.5% share of the OS market.

He is not just talking about desktops/laptops.
This site is Linux...as are many, many, many, many websites.
You stream TV or movies? Roku is Linux as are most smart TV's. Android is Linux.
The top 500 super computers in the world? All but a scant few run on Linux. Root web servers that are what the internet IS...are Linux.
Traffic control systems...Linux...Military satellite and recon systems...Linux...even the international space station...Linux.
You like Pixar movies? Linux
Linux is everywhere.
This is not all Linux. Many devices like ATMs run Windows 3.11 or newer versions.

I think these guys must be Microsoft customer service reps. "Yes ma'am, now go ahead and plug the other end of the mouse into that slot. Okay, now go ahead and test it out. It should work".

What you mean, includes ATMs. All your stuff may be operated by Linux, but there is also Windows. What is your problem?
"Oh, OK ma'am, guess I forgot. Yes, plug the computer into the wall socket first...."
Why don´t by a normal computer, then?
Because I don't like to pay for inferior products. Marketing and business acumen doesn't translate to superior products.
You can buy customized devices or build your own one. Where is the problem?

However, you can do more with Windows. Linux and gaming? No, way. And if you use Firefox on Linux or Windows, I don´t see the difference. Only Linux-Nerds act like that and are rebooting their computers all the time.

What you mean, includes ATMs. All your stuff may be operated by Linux, but there is also Windows. What is your problem?
"Oh, OK ma'am, guess I forgot. Yes, plug the computer into the wall socket first...."
Because I don't like to pay for inferior products. Marketing and business acumen doesn't translate to superior products.

However, you can do more with Windows. Linux and gaming? No, way. And if you use Firefox on Linux or Windows, I don´t see the difference. Only Linux-Nerds act like that and are rebooting their computers all the time.
Gaming isn't a downside since we aren't all gamers. I'm not sure why you guys think so. I built my own computers since '95 so no problem here. I also was a beta tester for Memphis, later called Windows 98 and spent time on the campus. It all worked until the final release and two devices were no longer supported, a printer and scanner. But that only happens with Linux, right?

Gaming isn't a downside since we aren't all gamers. I'm not sure why you guys think so. I built my own computers since '95 so no problem here. I also was a beta tester for Memphis, later called Windows 98 and spent time on the campus. It all worked until the final release and two devices were no longer supported, a printer and scanner. But that only happens with Linux, right?
Shit happens. However, there is no problem with Linux. The problem is that you guys appear to be aggressive missionaries. Who does`t comply shall be burned. And that while only MS-DOS and Windows made Linux possible. Without MS-DOS and Windows, devices with fixed operating systems would maybe dominate or even constitute the PC market.

Shit happens. However, there is no problem with Linux. The problem is that you guys appear to be aggressive missionaries. Who does`t comply shall be burned. And that while only MS-DOS and Windows made Linux possible. Without MS-DOS and Windows, devices with fixed operating systems would maybe dominate or even constitute the PC market.
Your perception of reality is completely askew. It's when Microheads tell me that what I experience isn't true because they know better, I tell them they are fucked up. I prefer my life experiences to your opinion. Every time.

When Linux doesn't do games that aren't ported to it or doesn't drive a device it's inferior but when Microsoft has a problem (as many as there are) then "shit happens"?

Microsoft made Linux possible? Ho lee fuck. You really have no clue.

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_01_01.html

In 1969, a team of developers in the Bell Labs laboratories started working on a solution for the software problem, to address these compatibility issues. They developed a new operating system, which was

1. Simple and elegant.

2. Written in the C programming language instead of in assembly code.

3. Able to recycle code.
The Bell Labs developers named their project "UNIX."

By the beginning of the 90s home PCs were finally powerful enough to run a full blown UNIX. Linus Torvalds, a young man studying computer science at the university of Helsinki, thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of freely available academic version of UNIX, and promptly started to code.

Today Linux has joined the desktop market. Linux developers concentrated on networking and services in the beginning, and office applications have been the last barrier to be taken down. We don't like to admit that Microsoft is ruling this market, so plenty of alternatives have been started over the last couple of years to make Linux an acceptable choice as a workstation, providing an easy user interface and MS compatible office applications like word processors, spreadsheets, presentations and the like.

On the server side, Linux is well-known as a stable and reliable platform, providing database and trading services for companies like Amazon, the well-known online bookshop, US Post Office, the German army and many others. Especially Internet providers and Internet service providers have grown fond of Linux as firewall, proxy- and web server, and you will find a Linux box within reach of every UNIX system administrator who appreciates a comfortable management station. Clusters of Linux machines are used in the creation of movies such as "Titanic", "Shrek" and others. In post offices, they are the nerve centers that route mail and in large search engine, clusters are used to perform internet searches.These are only a few of the thousands of heavy-duty jobs that Linux is performing day-to-day across the world.

It is also worth to note that modern Linux not only runs on workstations, mid- and high-end servers, but also on "gadgets" like PDA's, mobiles, a shipload of embedded applications and even on experimental wristwatches. This makes Linux the only operating system in the world covering such a wide range of hardware.

Last edited:

What I mean??? :lmao::lmao::lmao:
What I mean is to tell the other poster that linux is everywhere, his belief seemed to be that linux is some obscure thing that no one really uses...I "mean" to tell him that is not true - it is everywhere.
Now you want to say some ATM's use 1980's 3.1...okaaaay...that is fine. I have no idea where you get that I meant Linux is in every conceivable device, and you need to clear that up.
Too funny:lol:

What I mean??? :lmao::lmao::lmao:
What I mean is to tell the other poster that linux is everywhere, his belief seemed to be that linux is some obscure thing that no one really uses...I "mean" to tell him that is not true - it is everywhere.
Now you want to say some ATM's use 1980's 3.1...okaaaay...that is fine. I have no idea where you get that I meant Linux is in every conceivable device, and you need to clear that up.
Too funny:lol:
You named something and put a - Linux behind that. This indicates that the mentioned devices all run Linux. And 3.1 is not 80`s

Your perception of reality is completely askew. It's when Microheads tell me that what I experience isn't true because they know better, I tell them they are fucked up. I prefer my life experiences to your opinion. Every time.

When Linux doesn't do games that aren't ported to it or doesn't drive a device it's inferior but when Microsoft has a problem (as many as there are) then "shit happens"?

Microsoft made Linux possible? Ho lee fuck. You really have no clue.

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_01_01.html

In 1969, a team of developers in the Bell Labs laboratories started working on a solution for the software problem, to address these compatibility issues. They developed a new operating system, which was

1. Simple and elegant.

2. Written in the C programming language instead of in assembly code.

3. Able to recycle code.
The Bell Labs developers named their project "UNIX."

By the beginning of the 90s home PCs were finally powerful enough to run a full blown UNIX. Linus Torvalds, a young man studying computer science at the university of Helsinki, thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of freely available academic version of UNIX, and promptly started to code.

Today Linux has joined the desktop market. Linux developers concentrated on networking and services in the beginning, and office applications have been the last barrier to be taken down. We don't like to admit that Microsoft is ruling this market, so plenty of alternatives have been started over the last couple of years to make Linux an acceptable choice as a workstation, providing an easy user interface and MS compatible office applications like word processors, spreadsheets, presentations and the like.

On the server side, Linux is well-known as a stable and reliable platform, providing database and trading services for companies like Amazon, the well-known online bookshop, US Post Office, the German army and many others. Especially Internet providers and Internet service providers have grown fond of Linux as firewall, proxy- and web server, and you will find a Linux box within reach of every UNIX system administrator who appreciates a comfortable management station. Clusters of Linux machines are used in the creation of movies such as "Titanic", "Shrek" and others. In post offices, they are the nerve centers that route mail and in large search engine, clusters are used to perform internet searches.These are only a few of the thousands of heavy-duty jobs that Linux is performing day-to-day across the world.

It is also worth to note that modern Linux not only runs on workstations, mid- and high-end servers, but also on "gadgets" like PDA's, mobiles, a shipload of embedded applications and even on experimental wristwatches. This makes Linux the only operating system in the world covering such a wide range of hardware.
You see, it would only exist as embedded system.

Forum List

Back