Is Linux as good as many people say??

Hello everyone question i am wondering if the Linux operating system is as good as many people say it is many other people i have talked to both online & real life say it is better then Windows & works very well at least from there experiences i have used computers since late 1995 & all my life i have been ether a Mac or Windows person so i ask you guys today is Linux really a good system yes or no & what should i know & learn about it??.

May well be the best OS ever invented, but without a market share like MS no one's ever gonna know about it.

Linux the real deal:

Pros...
1) Extremely fast, and on cheaper computers with less memory than MS.
2) Due to its design and small footprint in the market share, viruses and spyware are basically non existent.
3) Updates are quick and almost never require a reboot.
4) Waking from sleep mode is literally the time it takes you to lift the laptop screen. No more waiting on the spinning circle.
6) Surf the internet with impunity. No worries about viruses or spyware.
7) No memory clogging anti-virus software.

Cons...
1) Limited gaming, however Steam has embraced Linux so more and more available games. Within another year, maybe two - with Steam MS will no longer have an advantage in that respect.
2) Learning curve, it is not Windows. It is actually easier, but different.

Summary....if all you do is surf the net, use email, photos, watch movies etc. etc. In other words almost everything but play games - then Linux is superior. It is faster, and runs fantastic on older hardware. No viruses and spyware alone make it a better operating system.
MS is slower, extremely vulnerable to malware...in fact almost no computer in anyones home is virus/spyware free. It requires twice the memory (at least) and the user interface is clunky, illogical and difficult to navigate unless you are a superuser. PERIOD.

If you want easy tasks unnecessarily complicated and can forbear from proper games, it might be the OS for you.
You keep making stupid comments about it. There's some weird phobia thing going on with you. You are ignorant about the Linux or Open Source world.

It's all I use anymore but don't play games, like most adults. I run my business with it, made my invoices, designed my business cards with it, used Inkscape and made 3D shaded graphics, something I tried with Corel X5 and couldn't do.

I do have one program that I rarely use but was expensive as hell ($5k) and won't work on anything but XP, otherwise that OS would be stripped off the hard drive.

To the OP, it's easy to try without much commitment. You can download a distro and burn it to dvd or even flash drive and test it as a live demo without install. It will run slower than a HD installation but you can see what it is. I'd recommend Mint 17.1 or later if they have it. I like the Cinnamon desktop the best but there's Gnome3 and a host of others.

Running an operating system like Ubuntu or as I've been told, Mint, is very easy and compared to Microsoft, problem free. The weakness is at the gaming level - not too many titles available.

The available business suites like Libre Office take a little getting used to but they offer the same functionality as that found with Microsoft Office.

The key is to select the right hardware as not all firms provide Linux drivers and updates for their hardware - which is often the difficulty some people experience with Linux operating systems.

I quit Microsoft six years ago despite the fact that the other 30 people in my office are running Microsoft. Never a problem in all that time.
I've installed at least 20 distros and never ran across any compatibility issues. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. The open source community provides most of the drivers built in to the distro. The only special one I've ever used is nVidia but that just a matter of selecting from the provided hardware driver list. It's been the only drivers in the list.

Problem free? While it begins with that you have to configure your computer according to driver availability?

Oh for Pete's sake Blie...really?
I have been using Mint for years and have setup many friends PC's with Linux and everything is just fine.
Mint or Ubuntu will operate on all but a few systems with no driver issues whatsoever...in fact much faster to setup printers/cameras etc. than windows in most cases unless you bought some cheap knockoff.
Once I install mint...I never have to do anything else except update every so often...which I know is sooo difficult...I have to click "ok"...man that is so hard!!

Give it a break.
Linux has only standard drivers. Support by the hardware manufacturers is minimal to not existing. I am really not a "Linux-opponent" but people trying Linux need to know that they now need two operating systems for the same tasks one OS was more than sufficient before.
That's ignorant. You never support anything you say, just toss out your MS fanboy shit like it was Gospel. Only standard drivers? What the fuck is that supposed to even mean? I installed many distros, as I said, run two monitors, two scanners, printers, Wacom tablet, mouse if I want (I just plug them in and they work, regardless of the brand) plug in any device, tablet, phone, USB drive, etc etc. No problem. No special drivers needed.

You need to seriously grow up.

Problem free? While it begins with that you have to configure your computer according to driver availability?

I have been using Mint for years and have setup many friends PC's with Linux and everything is just fine.
Mint or Ubuntu will operate on all but a few systems with no driver issues whatsoever...in fact much faster to setup printers/cameras etc. than windows in most cases unless you bought some cheap knockoff.
Once I install mint...I never have to do anything else except update every so often...which I know is sooo difficult...I have to click "ok"...man that is so hard!!

Give it a break.
Linux has only standard drivers. Support by the hardware manufacturers is minimal to not existing. I am really not a "Linux-opponent" but people trying Linux need to know that they now need two operating systems for the same tasks one OS was more than sufficient before.
Nice myth but hey, don't let that stop you........

It doesn't.
He keeps trying to get his RedHat 6 to install...gives up and re-declares Linux doesn't work.
lol.
Linux is the OS for the escapists. If you don´t want your software to run and your hardware to be used properly, hey, try Noobuntu.
Escapists? Yeah, I'm escaping expensive, non stop upgrade cycle, virus prone bloatware. I don't even run any anti-virus malware protection. (didn't on the MACs either though)

Give it a break.
That's ignorant. You never support anything you say, just toss out your MS fanboy shit like it was Gospel. Only standard drivers? What the fuck is that supposed to even mean? I installed many distros, as I said, run two monitors, two scanners, printers, Wacom tablet, mouse if I want (I just plug them in and they work, regardless of the brand) plug in any device, tablet, phone, USB drive, etc etc. No problem. No special drivers needed.

Anything special about hardware, like mouses with extended features, ect, won´t be available to Linux disciples.

Give it a break.

Anything special about hardware, like mouses with extended features, ect, won´t be available to Linux disciples.
I'm not a disciple, you are projecting. Why do all my Wacom tablet buttons work?

Give it a break.

I'm not a disciple, you are projecting. Why do all my Wacom tablet buttons work?
I guess it is because Wacom adapted Android to the hardware requirements.

Give it a break.

I guess it is because Wacom adapted Android to the hardware requirements.
Apparently so did everybody else.

Give it a break.
What myth?
RestrictedDrivers - Community Help Wiki

10 things to do first in Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon - Easy Linux tips project
There are some half-assed drivers. Again, I tried Ubunto some years ago and neither sound nor the surfstick worked. Furthermore, you have to get your software through a tool and won´t find installers. Very strange.
Obviously you either lying or your totally inept when it comes to computers. Which one is it?

What myth?
RestrictedDrivers - Community Help Wiki

10 things to do first in Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon - Easy Linux tips project
There are some half-assed drivers. Again, I tried Ubunto some years ago and neither sound nor the surfstick worked. Furthermore, you have to get your software through a tool and won´t find installers. Very strange.
Obviously you either lying or your totally inept when it comes to computers. Which one is it?
Linux is inept, that´s all. Maybe, it is good for ultra-cheap notebooks.

Again, obviously lying or totally inept. Of course there's one other potentiality and that's you're a brainwashed Microsoft hack (the most likely potentiality). :thup:

Again, obviously lying or totally inept. Of course there's one other potentiality and that's you're a brainwashed Microsoft hack (the most likely potentiality). :thup:
Sure, everybody questioning your Linux eulogies is a Microsoft fanboy/goon/hack and whatever.

Now, its time for you to play your penguin jump'n'run that now runs two minutes without crash!

Wow. You are one stupid fuck.

Sure, everybody questioning your Linux eulogies is a Microsoft fanboy/goon/hack and whatever.

Now, its time for you to play your penguin jump'n'run that now runs two minutes without crash!
What crash? You've made your MS fanboy devotion clear many times here, now you want to pretend it never happened? Have some school kid install a Linux distro for you and check it out, THEN form an opinion.

You're missing my point but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night...... :thup:

Again, Blie is stuck in 1995.
For instance on my Toshiba Satelite - everything works right off the bat...not one post installation problem whatsoever. In fact, as always, HDMI works better on Linux than Microsoft. Magically you plug in the HDMI cable for the first time to big screen...and it just works.
Logitech wireless mouse...just works...I have three different brands of thumb drives...just works...a backup external drive...just works...printer...just works...didn't have to download a single driver for any of them. Oh..two different digital cameras...both work just fine.
As anyone who actually uses Linux knows all too well...it just works.

What crash? You've made your MS fanboy devotion clear many times here, now you want to pretend it never happened? Have some school kid install a Linux distro for you and check it out, THEN form an opinion.
No nonsense, please. You guys all have Windows installed, too. Because you cannot get along without.

Forum List

Back